Upgrade to windows 7 - problem with Graphics driver

Recently upgraded my PC from XP to Win 7. The PC is running a Radion 9250 graphics card, after the upgrade I went into device manager and upgraded the driver to the latest version - it runs ok except that when I shut down the PC I get a BSOD and a message saying 'Terminal_Server_Made_incorrect_Memory_reference' at this point the computer would immediately start up again.

I have got round the restart by changing the automatic restart option but I am still left with the BSOD. I can't understand why this seems to be caused by a conflict with the graphics driver when the driver is the correct one for the card.

Assuming that it is due to the Win 7 upgrade is there an alternative graphics card (AGPx8) that I could use which would be better suited to running on Windows 7?

Thanks

Comments

• Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How exactly did you update the graphics driver?

AMD have not released a Windows 7 driver for the 9250. There isn't even a Vista driver.

As for other AGP cards, the Radeon 9500 upwards, the Radeon X series and the Radeon HD series, as well as the Geforce 6000 series have Windows 7 support.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Here's a fix, but only for 32-bit W7, on sevenforums p2 post #18: http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/38756-windows-7-drivers-radeon-9250-a-2.html
  • rubble2rubble2 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Ulysses777 wrote: »
    How exactly did you update the graphics driver?

AMD have not released a Windows 7 driver for the 9250. There isn't even a Vista driver.

As for other AGP cards, the Radeon 9500 upwards, the Radeon X series and the Radeon HD series, as well as the Geforce 6000 series have Windows 7 support.

Thanks for the reply, please my answer below
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Here's a fix, but only for 32-bit W7, on sevenforums p2 post #18: http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/38756-windows-7-drivers-radeon-9250-a-2.html

Thanks for the info, that is exactly the procedure I followed to update the drivers. I can reproduce the same information that is shown in the screenshots from the poster on Seven forums.
    I am also using Win 7 32 bit Professional but I have this problem with the Blue Screen which suggests a compatibilty issue.

I might just tag an answer on to the thread in Sevenforums and see if that produces a solution.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uninstall the driver, use a driver cleaner (free to download) restart the machine, then try loading up the drivers again.
  • groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A BSOD in the Terminal Server is indeed a driver issue, the driver has not been ported to memory correctly resulting in an address violation = BSOD

Download the executable driver package for your graphics card from the manufacturers website

Right click the executable it and select "run as administrator"

Install the driver and follow the on-screen prompts.

This should fix the issue :)

If not, repeat but this time also run the drivers in compatibility mode (XP)
    right click the executable and go to "properties", then go to "compatibility" and tick "run this program in compatibility mode" and select "Windows XP service pack 3"
    click "apply"
    Now right click the executable again and select "run as administrator"

Good luck :)
    Forum Member
    A BSOD in the Terminal Server is indeed a driver issue, the driver has not been ported to memory correctly resulting in an address violation = BSOD

Download the executable driver package for your graphics card from the manufacturers website

Right click the executable it and select "run as administrator"

Install the driver and follow the on-screen prompts.

This should fix the issue :)

If not, repeat but this time also run the drivers in compatibility mode (XP)
    right click the executable and go to "properties", then go to "compatibility" and tick "run this program in compatibility mode" and select "Windows XP service pack 3"
    click "apply"
    Now right click the executable again and select "run as administrator"

Good luck :)

Thanks for the suggestions, just tried both options but no change unfortunately.

I have some possible solutions suggested on another forum, if any of them are successful I will post them on here for future reference
    Forum Member
    Ok - update,

As mentioned above I had some possible solutions from another forum :-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/2921c14c-bc4a-41ec-b990-2e098bce1ff0/radeon-9250-blue-screen-on-shut-down?forum=w7itprohardware

If anyone experiences this problem then look on the above and follow the instructions posted by JurjenB.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rubble2 wrote: »
    Ok - update,

As mentioned above I had some possible solutions from another forum :-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/2921c14c-bc4a-41ec-b990-2e098bce1ff0/radeon-9250-blue-screen-on-shut-down?forum=w7itprohardware

If anyone experiences this problem then look on the above and follow the instructions posted by JurjenB.

Pasted below for clarity:
    1) download the windows 2000/xp driver installation (and not Catalyst package, just the driver "option 2, display driver")
    2) optionally: create a shortcut of your system32 folder on your desktop (just to make it easier for you)
    3) close all applications you don't need (you'll need to reboot later)
    4) right-click on the driver setup and go to properties> compatibility > check the first box (run this program in compatibility mode for) and select windows xp service pack 2> apply/OK
    5) right-click: run the program as administrator
    6) after install, don't restart just yet. Go to System32 (that shortcut)
    7) cut the " ati2dvag.dll " and paste to desktop (do not delete: you NEED it afterwards)
    8) Reboot your computer. When Windows starts, the graphics will look like garbage (16 colours or so?). DON'T WORRY!
    9) Put the ati2dvag.dll file back into System32, reboot again. This time it'll look proper.
    10) Restart or shutdown, it'll get rid of the blue screen problem and it'll run smoothly.