Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Not offended at all. In fact, just now reading your comment, I thought how clever it could have been for him to be able to discern whether he might push the boat out and have a romantic night to go with the concert after his holding her hand and her pulling him in for the kisses. But, not really sure that is what he was going for with his remarks. Or perhaps was it??

I feel a need to inspect very closely the dialog in that ep regarding this. I've never considered whether he got the diagnosis right and then there was the talk of sandalwood, and kenzo flower. So lots of smell stuff he was picking up on.

And then of course, we also have the lavender oil pillow and the surgery "smells of regurgitated breast milk".

And Edith's perfume smelling like cheese.

Thanks for recalling those other key "smelly"moments. I can't think of any other character in tv, movies or literature where the sense of smell is so brought up, used, keyed in on... can anyone think of another character where it plays such a prominent role?

Speaking for me personally if a man who'd I just kissed told me her smelled me having my period I would've "died of death" as Bert once said (at least when young).

Women can get preggers during periods, indeed at any time during menstrual cycle - otherwise the rhythm method would be 100%
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for recalling those other key "smelly"moments. I can't think of any other character in tv, movies or literature where the sense of smell is so brought up, used, keyed in on... can anyone think of another character where it plays such a prominent role?

Speaking for me personally if a man who'd I just kissed told me her smelled me having my period I would've "died of death" as Bert once said (at least when young).

Women can get preggers during periods, indeed at any time during menstrual cycle - otherwise the rhythm method would be 100%

WARNING: GRAPHIC FEMALE REPRODUCTIVE DISCUSSION BELOW (men, watch out!)

Well, I'm sure you are meaning that ovulation may occur any time during the menstrual cycle. That's not actually true. It's extremely rare that ovulation occurs during menstruation.

The eggs lasts about one day after ovulation and sperm can live 3-5 days so fertilization period is about a week, at the most. Ovulation tends to occur 11-21 days since menstruation and/or 12-16 days before menstruation in general, if a women has a typical 28 day cycle; thus, depending on the entire length of one's cycle, we can have a rough calculation of ovulation.

If LG had a short cycle, say 23 days, and she bled for 6 days (and she might, having become anemic and we know she is not a vegetarian, so she may bleed a bit heavier/longer), if she ovulates 13 days before her cycle, has a six day cycle, she would ovulate on day four after her cycle. If she and DM had had sex during the last day of her cycle, indeed she could have gotten pregnant as a result of that.

My apologies if this is offensive for anyone. I was just kind of medically playing around--no intent to offend! :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not offended at all. In fact, just now reading your comment, I thought how clever it could have been for him to be able to discern whether he might push the boat out and have a romantic night to go with the concert after his holding her hand and her pulling him in for the kisses. But, not really sure that is what he was going for with his remarks. Or perhaps was it??

I feel a need to inspect very closely the dialog in that ep regarding this. I've never considered whether he got the diagnosis right and then there was the talk of sandalwood, and kenzo flower. So lots of smell stuff he was picking up on.

And then of course, we also have the lavender oil pillow and the surgery "smells of regurgitated breast milk".

And Edith's perfume smelling like cheese.

Great smell examples!
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest goings on in the life of Martin Clunes:

http://www.theftr.co.uk

You need to search Martin Clunes in order to get to the article.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn Survivor

This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S4E2 Uneasy Lies the Head

New survey this week:

S1E6 Haemophobia vs S2E6 The Family Way

Here are the standings for the eliminated episodes. I encourage you to vote on this list each week!

1 S6E7 Listen With Mother
    2 S4E6 Midwife Crisis
    3 S3E4 The Admirer
    4 S3E7 Happily Ever After
    5 S4E7 Do Not Disturb
    6 S2E2 In Loco
    7 S6E4 Nobody Likes Me
    8 S5E2 Dry Your Tears
    9 S3E2 Movement
    10 S4E3 Perish Together as Fools
    11 S6E3 The Tameness of a Wolf
    12 S6E6 Hazardous Exposure
    13 S6E5 The Practice Around the Corner
    14 S5E6 Don't Let Go
    15 S6E2 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
    16 S5E5 Remember Me

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey (suggestions for the eliminated episode):
    http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though some of the contests this round look pretty lopsided, it's because I seeded them based on the percentage of votes they received in the previous round. This way we don't have big favorites facing each other until the final rounds. In fact, the next round will probably be mostly finale episodes and first episodes of series. In fact, the last two competitions of this round will be four first episodes going against each other - should be interesting. So, please make sure to vote in both surveys each week!
  • Options
    whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this but recently on PBS while watching one of the episodes of Series 6 a behind the scenes segment came on and it was the crew talking about the filming of DM. PB came on taking the host around the Doc's home and surgery and, over she walked to the Buddha. touching it and saying that a lot of people had written in asking the significance of it and she said they have decided not to divulge the reason why it is there, more intrigue!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    whale wrote: »
    I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this but recently on PBS while watching one of the episodes of Series 6 a behind the scenes segment came on and it was the crew talking about the filming of DM. PB came on taking the host around the Doc's home and surgery and, over she walked to the Buddha. touching it and saying that a lot of people had written in asking the significance of it and she said they have decided not to divulge the reason why it is there, more intrigue!!

Ahh, now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that also.

Frustrating, but on the other hand, like other things that aren’t explained, it gives us free rein to make up our own background stories :)

The ring on Martin’s right hand in S1-5 is another one. I know the real story, that it’s Martin Clunes’ own ring, etc., but where did it come from in ME’s life? The most obvious explanation would be that it's some kind of heirloom, and presumably from someone that he had a mutual strong emotional bond with. As far as we know, Aunt Joan is the only family member that qualifies in that regard. So, Phil, perhaps? The grandfather that James Henry is named after is the only other possibility that comes to mind, but I got the impression that Martin's primary emotion about him was one of respect rather than love. Cufflinks or something similar I could understand, but knowing what we do about his earlier life. it just seems somehow out of character that he would have felt an emotional connection with someone strong enough to wear a ring that's never taken off. And surely if it was from Edith, he would not have continued wearing it.

Oh well. I have been known to overthink things. :blush: Sorry if this has been discussed before – I’m valiantly trying to make my way through the earlier parts of this forum, but with over 2500 pages…
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Hester. Your thought about Martin Ellingham's ring is Intriguing. I like that it might be an heirloom, specifically from his Grandfather Henry. The engagement ring he first gave Louisa was from his grandmother. Did we ever learn if Grandfather Henry or grandmother of the ring were maternal or paternal grandparents?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AJ said the ring had been her grandmother's engagement ring when she offered it to DM

I've been thinking about AR lately - her character presented itself as quite quirky and singular: middle child syndrome/quasi-sexual encounters/ sharing too much /too little... but then that quirky odd character went totally by the wayside. AR became a "reasonable" elder, voice to be listened to, etc. I would've preferred leaving her very quirky with odd quasi-sexual encounters to be had/revealed, strange personality to go with her demanding work as forensic psychiatrist and etc. It seems a wasted opportunity for the creators/writers. Anyone else?

I also - and I know I am daring the tides of public opinion here -- think that Eileen Atkins plays AR as one-note, flat, and not at all nuanced. She's always the same in her role, after that first opening speech at the funeral of AJ that is, same in each scene/episode/series after that. And I find her one of the weaker actors in the show.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ said the ring had been her grandmother's engagement ring when she offered it to DM

I've been thinking about AR lately - her character presented itself as quite quirky and singular: middle child syndrome/quasi-sexual encounters/ sharing too much /too little... but then that quirky odd character went totally by the wayside. AR became a "reasonable" elder, voice to be listened to, etc. I would've preferred leaving her very quirky with odd quasi-sexual encounters to be had/revealed, strange personality to go with her demanding work as forensic psychiatrist and etc. It seems a wasted opportunity for the creators/writers. Anyone else?

I also - and I know I am daring the tides of public opinion here -- think that Eileen Atkins plays AR as one-note, flat, and not at all nuanced. She's always the same in her role, after that first opening speech at the funeral of AJ that is, same in each scene/episode/series after that. And I find her one of the weaker actors in the show.

I have to agree. I'm sure there are exceptions which can (and will) be cited, but generally she is pretty acerbic, austere, unsentimental. She can be compassionate and that shows through sometimes.

But that one note is a perfect foil for DM in series 5 and series 6, so I can't complain. And I think that calm reasonablness and very controlled affect allows him to connect with her in a way that is helpful to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I have to agree. I'm sure there are exceptions which can (and will) be cited, but generally she is pretty acerbic, austere, unsentimental. She can be compassionate and that shows through sometimes.

But that one note is a perfect foil for DM in series 5 and series 6, so I can't complain. And I think that calm reasonablness and very controlled affect allows him to connect with her in a way that is helpful to him.

"calm reasonableness" That's a perfect description of what the creators/writers had AR morph into ... losing the odd strange character they hinted at when she first presented. And a shame, IMHO. Boring ! - ever since that first episode, and a wasted opportunity of what could've been a very quirky memorable character.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"calm reasonableness" That's a perfect description of what the creators/writers had AR morph into ... losing the odd strange character they hinted at when she first presented. And a shame, IMHO. Boring ! - ever since that first episode, and a wasted opportunity of what could've been a very quirky memorable character.

I liked the fact that AR changed her demeanor from S5 to S6. I felt lessening the acerbic stiffness gave her character more depth and allowed her to participate in village life. I liked that change in S6 and was very happy to see it.

I also liked that they gave Bert a little more depth and not make him the clown. We saw more sides of him with his relationship with Jenny. I also like Jenny - she brings a bit of normalcy to the village. Mrs. T was great for most of the series. In S5 she became a joke and was ridiculous in S6. I am glad they made her so "out there" in S6 because it makes it easier to say goodbye to her.

For me, I welcome less quirkiness and find the show more interesting because of it. I know that most fans seem to miss the nature of the program in series 1-4, and somewhat in series 5. But I welcomed the changes and the more serious tone of series 6. I think I am mostly alone in my opinion. My intention isn't to be argumentative, but I just wanted to speak up in support of series 6. :):):)
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    DCDMFAN. I am with you on series 6. I loved series 1-4, even liked series 5, save Martin's attitude toward Louisa, but I think series 6 and its dramatic direction was great

I think They needed Aunt Ruth in series 5 to forgive killing off Aunt Joan but weren't able to exactly sort out her role. By series 6 the writers knew they had to move Ruth into town. Joan lived at the farm but was part of village life through her veg delivery but Ruth had no reason to come into town except for shopping. I also thought the Portwenn effect struck again when Ruth's book was finished and published in about 4 months.

I agree that her character is acerbic but I think that was needed so that she could relate to Martin on the same serious level. I think she will be the lynchpin of series 7 that brings Martin and Louisa together

Loved that Bert Large lost the buffoon persona (eagerly picked up by Penhale) but Jenny is not hitting the right note with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »

For me, I welcome less quirkiness and find the show more interesting because of it. I know that most fans seem to miss the nature of the program in series 1-4, and somewhat in series 5. But I welcomed the changes and the more serious tone of series 6. I think I am mostly alone in my opinion. My intention isn't to be argumentative, but I just wanted to speak up in support of series 6. :):):)

Well, there are at least two of us. :) I know many fans hated season 6 and felt it wasn't what they signed up for. I can understand that, but personally, I enjoy rewatching from the beginning in large part because the story does get more serious. The quirkiness was endearing and funny, and some of the earlier episodes still make me laugh hysterically (Martin's first visit with Stewart is one), but it's hard to keep that going without devolving into silliness or becoming progressively more unrealistic. And then you have a show like a thousand others.

I expect Ruth to play a large part in S7 too and look forward to it. Besides her relationship with Martin, I really like her interaction with Al, and the straightforward, unsentimental and effective way she is helping him grow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hester. Your thought about Martin Ellingham's ring is Intriguing. I like that it might be an heirloom, specifically from his Grandfather Henry. The engagement ring he first gave Louisa was from his grandmother. Did we ever learn if Grandfather Henry or grandmother of the ring were maternal or paternal grandparents?

AJ said the ring had been her grandmother's engagement ring when she offered it to DM.

Grandfather Henry was also a surgeon and Christopher's father. I'm not actually sure now if that was ever explicitly stated, but there was something about Martin coming from 'a long line of surgeons' and we don't know anything about Margaret's family, as far as I know. So that seems pretty clear.

The engagement ring, not so much. If it was from AJ's (and therefore also AR's and Christopher's) grandmother, that would have been back another generation, so it could have been from either Henry's mother or his wife's mother.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the fact that AR changed her demeanor from S5 to S6. I felt lessening the acerbic stiffness gave her character more depth and allowed her to participate in village life. I liked that change in S6 and was very happy to see it.

I also liked that they gave Bert a little more depth and not make him the clown. We saw more sides of him with his relationship with Jenny. I also like Jenny - she brings a bit of normalcy to the village. Mrs. T was great for most of the series. In S5 she became a joke and was ridiculous in S6. I am glad they made her so "out there" in S6 because it makes it easier to say goodbye to her.

You are not alone in liking S6, dcdmfan. I like it very much (after the initial shock of it wore off) when I watched it again and again. It offered a continuation of the story but with unexpected twists and turns as usual. I have to look at the whole of all the series and what I see is something continuing to evolve characters and situations just like we continue to evolve through life.
    S1: getting to know everyone.
    S2: worry about Danny and how that will impact M & L getting together.
    S3: M & L getting together, apart, together, apart.
    S4: worry about Edith and how that will impact M & L and the baby scenario.
    S5: first weeks with baby and career decisions sans marriage.
    S6: wedding and living together as married couple and adjustments.
    And the other characters evolving, too.

But then I find I get tired of sitcoms when it is all for the laughs all the time. After a season or two, I'm usually done. MASH was a notable exception, probably because it was more a dramedy like DM: some incredibly funny things, and some incredibly serious things, but all with likeable characters that I came to care about for one reason or another. And who showed the possibilities inherent with change and growth over time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MASH, Cheers, Frazier ... all sitcoms w/ long lasting appeal because they included more adult themes and characters, plot lines, and some serious issues... but none as good as DM IMHO.

I see I am indeed in the minority in wishing they'd kept AR as she was at the funeral. Sigh. Not the first time I've been in a minority view : ) I think an incisive, yet weird, forensic psychiatrist older woman AR would've added to the mix very well .... interesting to think about though....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently found these podcasts. Can't remember if they've been posted here. I love this one with Philippa as to their work:
    http://www.aptonline.org/aptweb.nsf/vSeriesComponentByTitle/doc martin|videos|audio%20podcast%20philippa%20braithwaite
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I recently found these podcasts. Can't remember if they've been posted here. I love this one with Philippa as to their work:
    http://www.aptonline.org/aptweb.nsf/vSeriesComponentByTitle/doc martin|videos|audio%20podcast%20philippa%20braithwaite

80% of the artistic stuff we (Americans) pick up on is deliberate... according to TPTB. Kewl.

Thank you for that post! I had forgotten that those audio clips were there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MASH, Cheers, Frazier ... all sitcoms w/ long lasting appeal because they included more adult themes and characters, plot lines, and some serious issues... but none as good as DM IMHO.

I see I am indeed in the minority in wishing they'd kept AR as she was at the funeral. Sigh. Not the first time I've been in a minority view : ) I think an incisive, yet weird, forensic psychiatrist older woman AR would've added to the mix very well .... interesting to think about though....

I don't think the AR of the funeral has gone away-- just evolved into a more rounded character even throughout S5. I thought they did a good job of evolving Ruth as she tried to figure out the farm inheritance and what she had to do considering it was now hers and she is also a fish out of water. One of my favorite lines comes when DM catches up with her buying veg in town, telling her they grow on her farm. Ruth replies, (something like)--Well, I suppose if they leaped out of the ground and cleaned themselves, I'd use them. And let's not forget the chicken she ran over and then served.

But her analysis of herself at the funeral was useful in knowing how she sees herself and that she indeed uses her professional knowledge to describe it. Very Martin-like, but then overshares about her sexual stuff, very un-Martin-like.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hester_52 wrote: »
    Ahh, now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that also.

Frustrating, but on the other hand, like other things that aren’t explained, it gives us free rein to make up our own background stories :)

The ring on Martin’s right hand in S1-5 is another one. I know the real story, that it’s Martin Clunes’ own ring, etc., but where did it come from in ME’s life? The most obvious explanation would be that it's some kind of heirloom, and presumably from someone that he had a mutual strong emotional bond with. As far as we know, Aunt Joan is the only family member that qualifies in that regard. So, Phil, perhaps? The grandfather that James Henry is named after is the only other possibility that comes to mind, but I got the impression that Martin's primary emotion about him was one of respect rather than love. Cufflinks or something similar I could understand, but knowing what we do about his earlier life. it just seems somehow out of character that he would have felt an emotional connection with someone strong enough to wear a ring that's never taken off. And surely if it was from Edith, he would not have continued wearing it.

Oh well. I have been known to overthink things. :blush: Sorry if this has been discussed before – I’m valiantly trying to make my way through the earlier parts of this forum, but with over 2500 pages…

MC wedding band on the right hand, which he has worn since he was first married and working, is his symbol of the respect he has for his real life wife and their marriage. Because of that, it has just become part of the ambiance and persona that is Martin Clunes. I've never really felt a compulsion to rationalize a "canon" story for it. I just look at it and think "Philippa"......and don't give it another thought.

Now the leather banded old style wristwatch is part of the DM costume. They showed a closeup of it in S6. It seems that it would have a DM "tale" to go with it. Something also makes me think it is an MC momento as I think I've seen it in the past.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone interested, the photos from Buckham Fair are particularly gorgeous this year....our Blonde Adonis is tanned, healthy and gorgeous. A group of fans went...we are planning for next year. Looks like fun.

I can't seem to set up a link for the pics but they are all on FB...I know some here who don't play that game....but Martin and Philippa and their team did a great job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they took it too far with Mrs. T, myself. It wasn't enjoyable to watch, amusing, and we didn't learn anything from her ugly breakdown. We have no idea where Clive is, and sometimes the lack of continuity can be a bit annoying. S6 as it played out was the destruction of one of the most intelligent, witty, and sad characters on the show, done in a very unforgiving way. I'm not sure the writers/producers/directors of the show can do "breakdown" well, at least for me; it seems like they are best with light-hearted comedy/drama. Neither DM's or Mrs. T breakdowns were seamlessly portrayed, or cohesive, to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hester_52 wrote: »

I don't know that we've ever tried to fit the ring on his right hand into the DM persona. We know why the actor wears it there and I think that has been good enough for us at least in the last couple years I've been on this forum. We do know MC has done the same in other productions, so it is him, not the character. Which frankly, I found to be lovely that he doesn't want to take the ring off completely.

I started out trying to read all the threads and finally gave up when I joined some Facebook DM groups, too. Not enough time in my day. So if you manage it, I say hurray for you, job well done!
This discussion has been closed.