Options

Why do drivers hog the middle lane?

big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's always listed as one of motorists top pet hates, but why do people actually do it, and what advantage do they gain from doing it? I personally struggle to see one.

Comments

• Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which lane would you prefer them to be in?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    I dare say many think that if they move to the inner lane and meet a truck they may not be able to easily get back to the middle lane to overtake.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    I dare say many think that if they move to the inner lane and meet a truck they may not be able to easily get back to the middle lane to overtake.

I do this for that reason - the only problem with it I see is if the car is being driven at 50-60 mph. I only do this if im driving at 70 mph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My approach is that the inside lane is for heavy goods, slow vehicles and people turning off.

The middle lane is for everyone else.

The outside lane is for overtaking or for people who want to put their foot down.
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    It's always listed as one of motorists top pet hates, but why do people actually do it, and what advantage do they gain from doing it? I personally struggle to see one.

The advantage is very simple actually. You pass slow moving traffic on the inside lane, whilst allowing traffic wishing to go faster, the outside lane for passing you.

There. That was easy wasn't it? :)
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be great if we all drove according to our own rules!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »

I would prefer them to be in the inside lane, which is the lane for normal driving. Lanes two and three should be for overtaking only. Some use the middle lane like they should be using the inside lane ie. just staying there for absolutely ages and not moving back over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer them to be in the inside lane, which is the lane for normal driving. Lanes two and three should be for overtaking only. Some use the middle lane like they should be using the inside lane ie. just staying there for absolutely ages and not moving back over.

So you want everyone to drive in the inside lane?

Do me a favour.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »

Trucks aren't allowed on the inner lane though, and anyway that would be classed as undertaking, and therefore illegal. :)
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member

It would depend upon what speed the driver in the middle lane is doing, if the driver is sitting at 70 mph then he shouldnt need to move over as no one should be passing him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The advantage is very simple actually. You pass slow moving traffic on the inside lane, whilst allowing traffic wishing to go faster, the outside lane for passing you.

There. That was easy wasn't it? :)

No, that's not the point. I'm on about those that drive in there for ages but not at a speed suitable for that lane. They'll still in there at a speed which would potentially enable those in the inside lane to undertake them.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The one that the highway code says is right
    "Lane discipline Rule 264
    You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs."

It's not difficult and if drivers can't work that out then why are they in charge of a car?
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's not the point. I'm on about those that drive in there for ages but not at a speed suitable for that lane. They'll still in there at a speed which would potentially enable those in the inside lane to undertake them.

I don't really see an issue to be honest. Outside lane hoggers, fair enough. You have to undertake them whilst hanging out of the window giving them the wrist, but middle laners don't bother me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd say 70mph is the correct speed for the middle lane. If I come across someone driving slower than that I'll simply indicate into the outside lane, accelerate until I'm past them, then indicate back into the middle lane.

Perhaps I'm missing something in your argument.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Trucks aren't allowed on the inner lane though, and anyway that would be classed as undertaking, and therefore illegal. :)

get your terms right , the left hand lane is the inside lane , the right hand lane is the outside lane , just to avoid confusion of course :D

as for the subject , people who stay in the middle lane for no reason should be shot , no questions asked or leniency given ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I encounter MLM's pretty much everytime I drive - it can be quite dangerous to be forced to undertak someone because they are pootling along in the middle lane completely oblivious to whats going on around them
  • Options
    pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My approach is that the inside lane is for heavy goods, slow vehicles and people turning off.

The middle lane is for everyone else.

The outside lane is for overtaking or for people who want to put their foot down.

You should read the highway code.

By staying in the middle, everyone who wants to pass you has to jockey for position to squeeze in to the outside lane to do it :rolleyes: You becoming a rolling road block turning a 3 lane road in to a 2 lane one.

I frequently make very obvious moves back over to the inside lane to try and get these middle lane hoggers to realise the frustration they cause to everyone else. It works about 50% of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you want everyone to drive in the inside lane?

Do me a favour.

Yes, because that's legally what you're meant to do. Start in the inside lane, go in lane two or three to overtake a slower vehicle, then when you've got past them and everything is clear, move back over to the proper lane. Don't just stay in the middle for no reason whatsoever.

From your attitude you sound like the sort of person this thread is about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.middlelanemorons.com/script/middle_lane_morons_prob.php

This explains why MLM's cause such an issue sometimes
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why didnt u say this in the first place
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    The one that the highway code says is right
    "Lane discipline Rule 264
    You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs."

It's not difficult and if drivers can't work that out then why are they in charge of a car?

On the motorways down here (particularly the M25) the inside lane is ALWAYS full of lorries, the middle lane is for driving at around 70mph and the outside lane is for driving fast or overtaking.

It works pretty well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because that's legally what you're meant to do. Start in the inside lane, go in lane two or three to overtake a slower vehicle, then when you've got past them and everything is clear, move back over to the proper lane. Don't just stay in the middle for no reason whatsoever.

From your attitude you sound like the sort of person this thread is about.

See my post directly above.

It depends which part of the country you are in I suppose.

Our left hand lanes are always full of lorries.
  • Options
    WoddyWoddy Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middle lane hogs are a nightmare, i usually undertake them :o

also i've seen recently that the motorway signs now tell drivers NOT to hog the middle lane. (M1)
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    I just undertake them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See my post directly above.

It depends which part of the country you are in I suppose.

Our left hand lanes are always full of lorries.

If you are overtaking then its not an issue - but some people just plonk themselves in the middle lane and drive along regardless of whats in the inside line.

If the inside lane is clear then you should be in it.