Options

Latest from Moffat... believe it if you want: one 60-min special 'complete nonsense!'

Comments

• Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I heard the quote that the anniversary was set to "take over television" I immediately thought of quirky background cameo appearences on other drama/lifestyle tv programmes leading up to the special.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    You're thinking of The Wedding of River Song surely...:p

Surely that'd just be '45 minutes of utter pants'? I'm being deliberately controversial. Please disregard this comment.

EDIT:
    bigheather wrote: »
    When I heard the quote that the anniversary was set to "take over television" I immediately thought of quirky background cameo appearences on other drama/lifestyle tv programmes leading up to the special.
    Now I'm thinking of The End of Time again.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Sorry to shatter everyone's dreams with a little bit of practical thinking but we know that the anniversary special will be broadcast in 3D. I think it's safe to assume that would encompass all episodes / parts. We also know that there is a plan to perhaps also broadcast the special in cinemas because hardly anyone has 3D telly's. Now going to the cinema to see ONE anniversary special would be awesome and hopefully achievable but I can't see how they would broadcast three or four episodes in cinema's over a week.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Having said that I guess it could be 2x45 minute parts that they could then broadcast as a 90 minute film in cinemas :)
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's entirely likely that we'll still have one anniversary special, but split into parts and definitely longer than 60 minutes, much like TEOT. Although hopefully that'll be the only reason people will be comparing it to that diabolical piece of tripe...

But yeah this story made me really really happy and I shall return to my happy place knowing there is one 38 more days til Doctor Who returns
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Having said that I guess it could be 2x45 minute parts that they could then broadcast as a 90 minute film in cinemas :)

Credible.

Just had an impish thought.
    'Forever. For the rest of time.'

Since Moffat likes to play naughty games with titles, perhaps Matt's last two episodes will be called 'Ever' and 'The Rest of Time'. :eek:
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    So the claim that the rumour of the special being a single episode is "complete nonsense" is complete nonsense?

Come to think of it was it even a "rumour"? Wasn't it more along the lines of "accurately observing that BBC Worldwide thought it was 1x60 minutes."?
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Now I'm thinking of The End of Time again.

It would take a Herculean effort to produce something of that quality again
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree with bigheather, in my opinion the end of time was a billion times worse than the space pirates, the underwater menance, time and the rani, paradise towers and dragonfire (I like these episodes or find them ok I have mentioned them because they are badly rated by fans). No episode comes anywhere near to how bad the end of time was (in my opinion).
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    Completely agree with bigheather, in my opinion the end of time was a billion times worse than the space pirates, the underwater menance, time and the rani, paradise towers and dragonfire (I like these episodes or find them ok I have mentioned them because they are badly rated by fans). No episode comes anywhere near to how bad the end of time was (in my opinion).

I agree with you, but the audience appreciation figures were about the same as usual (ie, high 80s) so I don't think we're a majority.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. Some glorious negativity here. *rant retracted*
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    You're thinking of The Wedding of River Song surely...:p

I think they're reffering to the two stories that James Corden was in. The Lodger and Closing Time. They were utter pants. :yawn: The scripting wasn't good. James Corden is a good actor generally, but doesn't seem to do well in everything. His role in Gavin and Stacey was brilliant, and his BBC3 sketch show with Matthew Horne was great .

I preffer stories that are set in either the past eg. before 1900 and the future as in the 22nd century or later. I make an exception though with the Agatha Christie one, set in 1926. The episode for the most part was great, but there were a couple of small flaws. Nothing major though.

As for Steven Moffat saying that the length of the anniversary special isn't going to be 60 minutes long, is disapointing. I was hoping it was going to be 60 minutes, to tie in with the length of each of the 7 Christmas specials we've had since the 2005 series ended.

I wouldn't mind the special being more the length that the Five Doctors was. in fact, in saying that, I WOULD like the November special to be at least the length that the Five Doctors had. Then it would feel more like a movie rather than a normal tv episode. We'd have more to watch for a start, which would be good. :D

We'll just have to wait and see. Rumour is that filming on the November special, is to start sometime in April. Yay! :D:D
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel is absolutely correct.

People should listen to the interview properly. He never says anything about multiple anniversary specials. The nonsense he is referring to is the rumour that there will only be the anniversary special and no Christmas special. He says that there will be a Christmas special as well.

He always refers to the anniversary special in the singular.

So for 2013 we are still only getting:-
    8 Episodes, 1 anniversary special & 1 Christmas special

Any 'other' stuff he refers to vaguely is Dr Who related stuff, ie K9 on astronomy programmes, Dr Who game show specials and other junk - not actual episodes.

The only extra I'm looking forward to is the Gatiss biopic.

Listen to the interview. He is extremely clear about what episodes we will get in 2013.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I want the tractators back :(

Yes please.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good look forward to easter weekend choclate and dr who perfect. 11 and his freinds are going to have fun but also some scary moments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nyder wrote: »
    nebogipfel is absolutely correct.

People should listen to the interview properly. He never says anything about multiple anniversary specials. The nonsense he is referring to is the rumour that there will only be the anniversary special and no Christmas special. He says that there will be a Christmas special as well.

He always refers to the anniversary special in the singular.

Listen to the interview. He is extremely clear about what episodes we will get in 2013.
    To be fair it was DiscoP who listened to it properly first, on page one of the thread. :)

It does seem a funny way of publicising things. They seem to keep confirming quite clearly that we have ten new episodes this year, but at the same time saying "we haven't told you everything yet! Don't jump to conclusions!". Almost as if we're being told off for taking notice of the things they themselves choose to tell us.

But no matter. Series 8 is definitely, absolutely, very clearly in planning stages in Moffat's mind at the moment and not about to be filmed. (for anyone still clinging to that belief).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bloke at Bleeding Cool says he knows two people who know for sure that anniversary special is one episode:

www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/21/sorry-doctor-who-fans-there-really-is-just-one-anniversary-episode-coming/

So the "complete nonsense" seems to be a reference to people who thought that the year would consist of one anniversary special and nothing else? Given that absolutely nobody at all ever thought this I'm glad these people (nobody) are able to put their fears aside!

Anyway, good interview from Moffat. He didn't contradict the interviewer when he sought confirmation that there will be ten new episodes this year. Moffat kind of sidestepped it by pretending it was a question about the Christmas special only. But he didn't contradict the assertion that it will be "an anniversary episode".

Just looking forward to the inevitable surprise goodies. The Gatiss thing looks like it will be a thing of wonder and beauty.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    It does seem a funny way of publicising things. They seem to keep confirming quite clearly that we have ten new episodes this year, but at the same time saying "we haven't told you everything yet! Don't jump to conclusions!". Almost as if we're being told off for taking notice of the things they themselves choose to tell us.
    I'm not sure I follow. If I say, "I'm definitely going to the shops now", it doesn't mean that I'm not going to the shops tomorrow as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure I follow. If I say, "I'm definitely going to the shops now", it doesn't mean that I'm not going to the shops tomorrow as well.

If you say "I'm going to the shops once this calendar year" and people say "oh look - johnny intends to go to the shops once this,calendar year." would you then say these people are talking "complete nonsense"? Or would you say, "it is true that I intend to go to the shops once. However I may also make other trips, including , perhaps, to visit the duck pond."

You may also go easy on your audience for having difficulty understanding you if, for example, you had previously boasted last year that you intend to visit the shops more than ever before.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    If you say "I'm going to the shops once this calendar year" and people say "oh look - johnny intends to go to the shops once this,calendar year." would you then say these people are talking "complete nonsense"? Or would you say, "it is true that I intend to go to the shops once. However I may also make other trips, including , perhaps, to visit the duck pond."
    But what he's saying is, "I'm going to the shops. There may be several trips to the shops.", without saying that those trips will necessarily be to the same shop, or that they are the only trips that will be made this year.

God, I wish I hadn't started this metaphor...
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some input from Shoppy would be welcome. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real question here is which shop?
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    The 50th special is a single project. I think the production crew would usually refer to it in the singular in general terms. It doesn't necessarily mean it's only one episode of any particular duration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    The 50th special is a single project. I think the production crew would usually refer to it in the singular in general terms. It doesn't necessarily mean it's only one episode of any particular duration.

That's right. But BBC worldwide specifically said it was one single episode, rather than leaving it as just "anniversary special". So if there is going to be more than one, and one is "complete nonsense" and Moffat was trying to communicate that one episode is nonsense then he hasn't done so very clearly.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    That's right. But BBC worldwide specifically said it was one single episode, rather than leaving it as just "anniversary special". So if there is going to be more than one, and one is "complete nonsense" and Moffat was trying to communicate that one episode is nonsense then he hasn't done so very clearly.

True. It's also possible someone at BBC Worldwide got the wrong end of the stick and took the singular usage to mean just one episode. On the other hand, you'd think they wouldn't be so specific without making sure first.