Options

Installing Wii

To start with, please know that I'm about as "untechnical" as they come. (you'll probably figure this out once you read the description I give) I really need help here, but please, keep it elementary.

I have a Samsung LN-S1951 19" TV and with a separate DVD/VCR unit hooked into it. I'm running my cable TV through the DVD/VCR unit.

I cannot figure out how to install the Wii.

The DVD/VCR has only one white & one yellow input hookup.

The TV has one "AV in" (red, yellow, white), a "component in" (red, blue, green), two sets of "audio in" (red & white), a DVI in and a PC in. Hooking this into my PC is not an option (proximity and no wireless).

In advance...thank you!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Your Wii comes with the red/white/yellow cable, so you can connect it to either your TV, or the DVD/VCR player.

I'm going to assume now that you have the DVD player connected to the TV already, via a SCART conection.
    If you connect to the TV directly, you can just bring up that particular AV input on the TV; this will be a different one to the SCART. If, however, you decide to connect to the DVD player, you will have to select the SCART input on your TV, *and* set your DVD to display the AV-In Channel (the same way you tune to a regular TV channel) in order to see the Wii. Bear in mind, though, that if you do connect it to the DVD machine, you will also need to have this switched on to play your Wii, so really that will be an extra device running unneccessarily.

You could, if you wanted, buy a 'Wii Component Cable' and connect that to the Component In on your TV, which will give you a better picture quality, but you don't have to.

I tried to find a manual online for your TV but couldn't, so sorry I can't be of any more detailed help, but hopefully you will find this of some use :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Thank you for responding...

I just looked up the term SCART and am deducing it to be one of the wider connectors (rectangle waffle w/side screws). The DVD is not connected to the TV with this, but with a set of red/white/yellow connectors.

I guess the problem is that I don't have enough red/white/yellow spots on the TV for both sets (DVD & Wii).

Deb
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    As the last post really.

The three coloured leads will give you video (picture) from the yellow plug, with stereo sound courtesy of the red & white plugs. (right & left channels respectively)

Just connect those direct to your TV and select the appropriate AV input on your TV (via remote control usually)

This should do the trick. Select a suitable place for your sensor bar (from the wii) above or below the screen and away you go.

You can leave everything connected if you want to when you are tired, just select the input you want to see next.

You can connect your wii to your home wireless network for more 'fun' but let's not get into that ....... :)
  • Options
    B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A scart socket is a rectangular shape with one end angled /notched, a large bank of 21 connectors are inside it, it has no screws to hold it in, that sounds like the PC Input socket.The best possible Wii picture would be from a Wii component cable, bought seperately, it plugs into the red/green/blue connectors along with the attached red/white sound connectors, the RGB Scart cable also available seperately is a good alternative and the way i've connected my families Wii.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok, just read your last post re the dvd player.

I would seriously suggest connecting the dvd player to your TV via either a scart cable (you are correct about the thicker lead and 'waffle' plugs).

They are a bit bulky but will give a better picture quality (PQ) than your red/white/yellow phono leads.

This will leave your red/white/yellow plugs free for your wii.

Alternatively, there is sometimes a 'flap' on the front or sides of a TV for connecting another device, usually handy for a video camera, etc. If you have some of these, you could use that option too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deb1 wrote: »
    Thank you for responding...

I just looked up the term SCART and am deducing it to be one of the wider connectors (rectangle waffle w/side screws). The DVD is not connected to the TV with this, but with a set of red/white/yellow connectors.

I guess the problem is that I don't have enough red/white/yellow spots on the TV for both sets (DVD & Wii).

Deb

In this case you would have to connect the Wii to your DVD's Yellow/Red/White Input, although obviously if you're already using this to join it to the TV then that isn't a possibility.

You're right about the SCART, it's a wide rectangular-sort-of shape connector with 21 metal pins.

So there are two things you could do:
    • If your DVD has a SCART socket on the back, you can get hold of a cable and attach your DVD to the television that way. They are very inexpensive to buy from places like Argos - This one is £3.93, and many bigger supermarkets stock them, especially if they have TVs for sale.
      By doing this you can then connect the Wii using your Yellow/White/Red cable that came with it, straight to the TV.

• You could leave the DVD arrangement as it is, and instead buy the Wii Component Cable - £9.99 from Game. This replaces the Yellow/White/Red cable you already have directly, and will connect to the Red, Green, Blue, Red and White "Component" connection on your TV. Like the other cable, it carries both video and audio together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might be wrong, but i don't think component carries any audio.

If you use component you will need to make alternative arrangements for sound. Which kind of complicates things a bit too much for Deb.

I would stick with option 1 which is what i have suggested, use scart for dvd player, and red/white/yellow phono cable for the wii.

Sorted, i think. ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    davo171066 wrote: »

There will be two phono plugs for the audio next to the three for video. Standard component setup.

Personally, I would recommend using component for the Wii if you can (I have mine connected this way) as it does sharpen the picture up considerably.

Just get this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Component-Cable-Boxed-video/dp/B000NUR582/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1216651621&sr=8-1

The official one is about 4x that price and does exactly the same job.

Piece of cake to set up.

Lead goes in the back of the Wii. 5 colour coded phonos go into the back of the TV. Go into the settings on your Wii and set it to use ED/HD TV. Simple as you like and the optimum setup for the console.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sancheeez wrote: »

Jeebus, I've been shopping in the wrong places :D
    sancheeez wrote: »

If you use component you will need to make alternative arrangements for sound. Which kind of complicates things a bit too much for Deb.

Apologies, you're right about this - generally you just buy the video cable and get audio separately - but the Wii component cable has video and audio together (5 cables in total) and has a specific Wii connection on one side. Sorry if that wasn't very clear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To start with, please know that I'm about as "untechnical" as they come. (you'll probably figure this out once you read the description I give) I really need help here, but please, keep it elementary.
    In advance...thank you!

Nice advice lads, but as Deb asked, let's keep it as straight-forward as possible.

We're talking about a wii, not a £900 blue-ray player, so PQ is not really a major issue here. To play games on your wii, the phonos are fine. Anything more, and i have to say it, your just being a geek.

To reiterate, see Debs plea above in her quote.

Thanks. No offence intended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No success yet (hence, no 'fun' yet). Here's where I am...

DVD/VCR does not have SCART.

I hooked DVD/VCR back up to "AV input" on TV via red/white/yellow cables. I connected red/white cables from Wii to "audio input" under DVI on TV.

The sensor bar is set and plugged in. The console is plugged in and on.

I'm not sure how to find the correct channel to see if it is installed. According to Wii, Samsung says it should be on channel 91, 92, or 93 (well, two of the three and I've checked all three, plus every other number from 99 to 1).

No Wii.

I tried setting my DVD/VCR to it's normal channel (3) and went through all the numbers on the TV. No luck. :(

Thoughts???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No success yet (hence, no 'fun' yet). Here's where I am...

DVD/VCR does not have SCART.

I hooked DVD/VCR back up to "AV input" on TV via red/white/yellow cables. I connected red/white cables from Wii to "audio input" under DVI on TV.

The sensor bar is set and plugged in. The console is plugged in and on.

I'm not sure how to find the correct channel to see if it is installed. According to Wii, Samsung says it should be on channel 91, 92, or 93 (well, two of the three and I've checked all three, plus every other number from 99 to 1).

No Wii.

I tried setting my DVD/VCR to it's normal channel (3) and went through all the numbers on the TV. No luck. :(

Thoughts???

I think you have used the audio inputs for the PC. You won't be able to see the picture by doing this (it's carried on the yellow cable) unfortunately.

Since you have no SCART on your DVD player, I would suggest getting the component cable that was suggested earlier and using that instead. A direct connection that you won't be using for anything else at the moment. You should be able to find it on your TV using an "AV" or an "EXT" button which will cycle through all the inputs one by one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, time to shop...

Just so I'm getting this right (recall I'm highly untechnical...as if you haven't figured that out yet!), the component cable will replace the current cable going from the Wii console to the TV. I saw the 5 colored cable on the link (thank you for that!) and see that my TV has spots for all of them.

Once I install, I'm assuming the Wii will not be routing through my DVD/VCR and I should keep this turned off.

So, I'll head for the store and give it a try. I'll post an update later today.

Thank you all so much...especially for keeping it as simple as you could for me to understand.

Deb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, time to shop...

Just so I'm getting this right (recall I'm highly untechnical...as if you haven't figured that out yet!), the component cable will replace the current cable going from the Wii console to the TV. I saw the 5 colored cable on the link (thank you for that!) and see that my TV has spots for all of them.

Once I install, I'm assuming the Wii will not be routing through my DVD/VCR and I should keep this turned off.

So, I'll head for the store and give it a try. I'll post an update later today.

Thank you all so much...especially for keeping it as simple as you could for me to understand.

Deb

Yes, you've got all that spot on :)

The good thing is that that cable is interchangeable with the one you have for the Wii now, so it ought to work no problem.

Hopefully that will sort it out for you; sorry it is more money to spend but it will be worth it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, i'm beat. A dvd player or TV without a scart ?

Wowsa, hey Deb, you don't have a gas fridge do u ?

:)

Thanks malachigw for helping, i'm pulling out.

I'm having a bit of trouble connecting my Sky HD box to both my Fujitsu plasma AND an Infocus IN78 projector, as the Sky box only has one hdmi output.

But let's not hijack Deb's post...

Good luck Deb, hope you get it sorted, the Wii is great fun for the family. (I don't like the table-tennis though!)

Adios
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :):):):):):):)

Guess what I'm doing???? Bowling!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Deb
  • Options
    Forum Member

Deb

Glad you got there in the end. If you're interested, get a game called 'Big Brain Academy' for Wii. It's a bit like the brain trainer on the DS but slightly different.

Ok, the menu's are slightly 'clunky' but once you've figured it out it's great fun, and highly addictive.

Have fun !

:D
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Deb

Did Deb finally use the scart on her Dvd or buy a new lead ? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice advice lads, but as Deb asked, let's keep it as straight-forward as possible.

Indeed.

And using component is the simplest solution.

You buy the lead. (See link above)

You plug one end into the Wii.

You plug the other end into the colour coded component sockets on the back of the TV.

You change one (very obvious and easy to find) setting on your Wii.

All your other A/V equipment stays as it is. (So, by the sound of it, the SCART on the DVD player dodn't come into it)

No mucking about routing one output through another device etc etc .... AND you get a slightly better picture to boot.

What could be simpler?

(PS .... glad you got it sorted debs. Enjoy your bowling with slightly sharper graphics - you did enable ED/HD TV mode didn't you? If you didn't, nip into the settings and enable and the picture should improve slightly .... might as well make the most of it eh!)

:)

Oh .... debs .... you don't have to leave the DVD/VCR off. It's a totally separate input to the one your Wii is now using. There should be no cross-talk between the two at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, we used the KISS method! It cost some, but, hey, I'm in Wii heaven. (and anyway, I'm not really sure what "mucking" means) So far, I'm a really bad bowler, but even a worse batter. Got a feeling I'll be a bit sore tomorrow! Thanks again. You all are very talented!

Deb

P.S. I'll check into the ED/HDTV mode Sancheeez
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, slightly sharper graphics on a Wii, jeez, we're not even talking about an xbox or PS3,,, what the

What could be simpler than using component? Well, using the lead that came with it in the box, no?

Never mind, all done now, i'm just bewildered at some people's perception of 'simple'.

You're all very talented, as Deb says.

sbonk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What could be simpler than using component? Well, using the lead that came with it in the box, no?

No.

Not if there isn't a spare slot on the TV for it ..... which, in this case, there wasn't.

;)
  • Options
    Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And component makes the colours better. Made a big difference on my 37 inch TV