Will Virgin have any Customers left after everyone is forced to get a Tivo box?

Comments

• BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »
    What are these " lots of bugs " ?

I would be interested to know this as well.
    Forum Member
    davetech wrote: »
    If Virgin, plan to force a tivo box on me, I will not be happy, now the V+ box is no angel! but it is far more stable than it has ever been.

If my box broke tomorrow and they said they could not supply me like for like, ie another V+ box then ill tell them to rip it out,

In fact if the nice people from virgin came to my door with a gift wrapped tivo box, id say no.

There is only 1 reason for virgin to use these and want us to use these and that in ££££

how, well I guess in the near future they will team up with several internet type media company's, and offer access via the tivo box, then you pay the extra fee either to virgin direct or to the company's concerned, and then virgin will take a kick back £ for what we use,

if you think they have say 500,000 boxes in use and only 200,000 take this service as an additional sub or pay as you view, that's a lot of extra income for the media content providers and a little more for virgin,

Have you used Tivo?
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    I would be interested to know this as well.
    He avoided the question when i asked , so i don't think he will answer it.
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Have you used Tivo?

No. but i don;t need to touch a cac to know its cac - but hey if they have not got the brains to give you red button from the start, they are Pi&sing in the wind.

The red button is not a new thing its been about years! and for virgin to except box and sell boxes that in my opinion not finished!

And do you really think virgin will ever use all the boxes potential I think not.

the only thing this box will offer is a money making machine, and emptying you pockets faster and faster!

your already paying £3 or £5 more per month for what.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He avoided the question when i asked , so i don't think he will answer it.

I already said the one where you press Home then My Shows when you press the right arrow it says on the left hand side of the screen then you have to press it again its one of these menus it does it but I think it is the My Shows one but can't confirm just now as I don't have TiVo anymore. Also the music on demand is another huge error where everything is back to front and the list is squashed in the middle of the screen making it very unclear to scroll down the list (it also takes longer to go down the list than on V+HD.
    Forum Member
    I already said the one where you press Home then My Shows when you press the right arrow it says on the left hand side of the screen then you have to press it again its one of these menus it does it but I think it is the My Shows one but can't confirm just now as I don't have TiVo anymore.

I asked what are these " lots of bugs " you have just struggled to explain one " bug "
  • dwarfofpoisondwarfofpoison Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    He didn't describe a bug but an inability / lack of knowledge of how to use TiVo. I've had TiVo over a year now and admit that without forums there would be a lot of things I knew nowt about, however there's no way I'd come on a public forum and angrily profess my own shortcomings!

(In saying that, I've made a few statements on forums that are clearly, just wrong :D).
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do seem to have ironed out most of the bugs, the only one I still get is where it sometimes shows the mini guide for a previous channel when changing channels. I reported it on the forums and they said it was fixed in the October update, but I have just noticed it happening again.

The only issues they have now is not releasing the things they have promised on time, or giving sensible timescales for things like iPad App, Multiroom streaming, BBC Red Button, Reminders.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I can note a few bugs:

Youtube app sometimes fails to stream which then causes the app to lockup, this then results in a reboot.

Sometimes if the box starts, and stops a recording on all three tuners whilst you then do something else like start playing a previous recording etc etc. it can lockup.

Sometimes when pressing pause the playbar doesn't appear, play and then pause again usually brings it up.

Pressing the zoom button to go from guide to full screen sometimes locks up, using a normal method of pressing TV, or clear doesn't. Sky Sports News seems to be a culprit for this if left on all day.

when viewing on demand, moving to the next page can sometimes cause a UI lockup. however it isn't a full lockup, so exiting to guide and back again cures this. (this is very reminiscent of the Original sky anytime bug when that first launched)

all bugs are very rare though. my box never goes off either. its on 24/7 (not in standby either)
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    No. but i don;t need to touch a cac to know its cac ...
    Only if you don't want your opinion to actually be taken seriously.
    - but hey if they have not got the brains to give you red button from the start, they are Pi&sing in the wind.
    Some of us don't use that feature.
    The red button is not a new thing its been about years! and for virgin to except box and sell boxes that in my opinion not finished!
    I'm not 100% sure but I'm almost certain that "red button" is not something they have in the US so it's taken some time to get it incorporated into the UK Tivo.
    And do you really think virgin will ever use all the boxes potential I think not.
    Firstly, they already are. Secondly, given that you've never actually used one, how do you know how much "potential" the box actually has? :rolleyes:
    Permanent Series Links
    Wishlists
    Suggestion
    And lots of useful meta-data that makes the above features work.
    Sometimes if the box starts, and stops a recording on all three tuners whilst you then do something else like start playing a previous recording etc etc. it can lockup.

Sometimes when pressing pause the playbar doesn't appear, play and then pause again usually brings it up.

Pressing the zoom button to go from guide to full screen sometimes locks up
    Never experienced these and the others I can't comment as I don't have or the channel or feature you mention.
    all bugs are very rare though. my box never goes off either. its on 24/7 (not in standby either)
    Exactly. Which is why they're harder to track down. Doesn't take away from the rest of the system though.
    Forum Member
    and the others I can't comment as I don't have or the channel or feature you mention.
    Everyone On M+ , L and XL has Sky Anytime from the Sky basic channels.
    I can note a few bugs:

Youtube app sometimes fails to stream which then causes the app to lockup, this then results in a reboot.

Pressing the zoom button to go from guide to full screen sometimes locks up, using a normal method of pressing TV, or clear doesn't. Sky Sports News seems to be a culprit for this if left on all day.

when viewing on demand, moving to the next page can sometimes cause a UI lockup. however it isn't a full lockup, so exiting to guide and back again cures this. (this is very reminiscent of the Original sky anytime bug when that first launched)
    The ones in bold have Never happened to me.
  • PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Virgin have any Customers left after Neil Berkett forces everyone to have a Tivo box and after the April Price rises?

I think the Churn Rate will go up as some people refuse to get a Tivo box
    because they will see the shock of what they are currently paying compared to
    what their new package will cost them

Current Prices for the new Package and Bundle for one Tivo box and one Landline

30MB Broadband £18.50 a month
    Size M TV £7
    Tivo Service Charge £5
    VOD Picturebox £5
    Size M Phone £13.90

Total £49.40 a month

The Triple XL Package with one Tivo box and one Landline without the Extras including the HD Pack will be

XL100MB Broadband £35 a month
    Size XL TV £26.50 a month
    Tivo Serive Charge £5 a month
    VOD Picturebox £5
    Size XL Phone £8 a month
    Phone Line Rental £13.90 a month

Total £93.40 a month

If the premium for TiVo is £5, I don't get how prices will go up by more than £5.

Plus, if they do get to the point where they want to migrate everyone to TiVo, I'm sure they'll price it appropriately.
  • PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. but i don;t need to touch a cac to know its cac - but hey if they have not got the brains to give you red button from the start, they are Pi&sing in the wind.

the only thing this box will offer is a money making machine, and emptying you pockets faster and faster!

1. The ability to record far more.
    2. A greatly improved interface, and user experience.
    Forum Member

Well as a person who has actually used it I think it's miles better than V+. Perhaps you could comment again when you've actually used it.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it can't even handle a change in broadcast day/time for a programme with an existing Series Link then it is useless :eek:

But it can and has done for me and others before , granted it does not have never ending series links like TIVO which is an excellent feature.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51457528&postcount=9
    Forum Member
    But it can and has done for me and others before , granted it does not have never ending series links like TIVO which is an excellent feature.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51457528&postcount=9
    According to that link " It's just the BBC doesn't use that function, " so explain this then.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57228648#post57228648
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe people will be forced to take TIVO however incentives will be offered.
    Forum Member
    Everyone On M+ , L and XL has Sky Anytime from the Sky basic channels. The ones in bold have Never happened to me.
    I know that. Read my post again :)
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Well as a person who has actually used it I think it's miles better than V+. Perhaps you could comment again when you've actually used it.

I will never use this box, I would rather pay £3 or £5 per month for some more decent channels that virgin don;t carry

Ok tivo does have some more features, but some of these could have been done on v+ boxes i'm sure,

look at all that catch up tv, they came up with, besides the last 7 days stuff who watches the other stuff its all rubbish, but hey its free right - no extra cost lolssss
    Forum Member
    I don't believe people will be forced to take TIVO however incentives will be offered.
    You could say Sky Movies HD on demand content is 1 incentive already ,
    Forum Member
    I know that.

You said " and the others I can't comment as I don't have or the channel or feature you mention. "

Also everyone on Everyone On M+ , L and XL has Sky Sports News.

Also everyone has the youtube app.

So that part of your post does not make sense.
    Forum Member
    I will never use this box, I would rather pay £3 or £5 per month for some more decent channels that virgin don;t carry

Ok tivo does have some more features, but some of these could have been done on v+ boxes i'm sure,

look at all that catch up tv, they came up with, besides the last 7 days stuff who watches the other stuff its all rubbish, but hey its free right - no extra cost lolssss

I find your attitude bizarre. How can you be so anti something you've never used?
  • 56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO The TiVo fee will be dropped and then it will be hidden into other packages so they can get people on to TiVo and they would still pay the same price.

Agreed. This is exactly the route Sky used when the Sky+ was introduced, the fee almost 10 years ago was £10 per month. Eventually this was rescinded as long as you had even a modest subscription.
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Virgin Media TIVO box is state of the art and we have been privileged to get it during the development stage. All those who signed up early must have known what they were getting and would have appreciated that not all the functions were on there straight away. There have been enough posts about it.

I wasn't one of the first to sign up for that reason, but by September last year, the new code drop was about to happen and I decided to get it then.

I've never looked back and I really appreciate the ability to record three programmes at once, the Tube app and the many features, not least the 500 hours of recording time I now have.

Given all these advantages, to be complaining over little things like the red button and the reminder facility - well, I just don't understand it! However, if that's your bag, you can wait until these functions are delivered, and it won't be too much longer now.

IMO, this is a far superior box to the V+ and it beats the Sky HD box hands down. It is the box of the future, so one day you'll just have to get your head around it. The TIVO makes all the other boxes look basic.
    Forum Member
    I will never use this box...
    Then might I suggest you don't bother with this particular Forum in the future as it is all about a subject of which you know nothing and therefore cannot speak either for or against it with any authority.
    You said " and the others I can't comment as I don't have or the channel or feature you mention. "

Also everyone on Everyone On M+ , L and XL has Sky Sports News.

Also everyone has the youtube app.

So that part of your post does not make sense.
    Apologies. I was either thinking of another post, or forgot I had edited that one :o

To clarify, I don't watch the channels (ie SSN) or use the features ] mentioned (ie youtube app) so cannot comment.
    56up wrote: »
    Agreed. This is exactly the route Sky used when the Sky+ was introduced, the fee almost 10 years ago was £10 per month. Eventually this was rescinded as long as you had even a modest subscription.
    Not to mention a certain V+ :)