Sony Xperia Z, HTC M7 or HTC Butterfly?

Liam_777Liam_777 Posts: 48
Forum Member
(BlackBerry Z10, was an option till I saw it in a Carphone Warehouse, not upto scratch. RIP BlackBerry)

I'm looking to replace my iPhone 5, which in general is a good phone.. OS feels dated and I miss the flexibility of Android, I also miss my 4.7 inch screen.

I think 1080p, HD screens are the future, so I would like it to have that. The three phones I've listed are all 1080p, Sony Xperia Z looks cracking, but I'm not a huge fan of 'vanilla android' which Sony's skin looks quite close to? I like the added features of HTC Sense (but apparently it's getting a total overhaul anyway?)

M7 looks great on specs, but it's hard to judge a phone without seeing it. HTC Butterfly is a beautiful phone, but would have to be an import as its not available in the UK.

Decisions, decisions..

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Why do people always ask these questions before half the phones have been officially announced.

No one will be able to give you a solid backed up opinion until all phones are out on the market.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im going for an Xperia Z the prices of HTC phones plummet so badly used when you come to sell for your next phone they are worth sod all.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how the hell is anybody deciding anything when none of these phones are on the market yet. You might as well through in the N5 and S4.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SONY Xperia Z
  • Liam_777Liam_777 Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Why do people always ask these questions before half the phones have been officially announced.

No one will be able to give you a solid backed up opinion until all phones are out on the market.
    c4rv wrote: »
    how the hell is anybody deciding anything when none of these phones are on the market yet. You might as well through in the N5 and S4.

The Sony Xperia Z is out in two weeks and there are many reviews online. HTC M7 is out at the beginning of March. HTC Butterfly is out, just not in this country but there is loads of information already out..

I wasn't asking for a "Solid backed up opinion" as obviously not many people would have one. I'm sure it's not just me that's looking to buy one of these phones and would have an opinion. Chill your boots.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam_777 wrote: »
    The Sony Xperia Z is out in two weeks and there are many reviews online. HTC M7 is out at the beginning of March. HTC Butterfly is out, just not in this country but there is loads of information already out.
    Between the choices of 'not available', 'doesn't exist' and 'not available', I'd say go for one of the 'not available' ones - at least they exist.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HTC Butterfly isn't coming to the UK so it'll be import only
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picking up the Xperia Z here, my first move away from iPhones in a couple years, will be strange, but looking forward to it, seems like a brilliant phone!
    Reading reviews etc, the Butterfly seems the slightly weaker of the two. The M7 however, I guess should be a nice step up from the butterfly...
    Both the Xperia Z and M7 are out within the next month, maybe wait and try them out first. Unless you really want the Xperias preorder headphones! :)
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above the z looks great and the fact that its hard to break it (dust and water proof) has got to be a big plus? It has great specs AND who doesn't want to own James bonds phone? Lol
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My heat missed a beat when i saw the Xperia Z, then i saw the price and then i remembered just how excruciatingly bad the support was for my Xperia S.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The £529 price put me off too until i saw it here for £449 Sony_Xperia_Z
    I will most likely get one from 3 may even be unlocked with the first batch but im on 3 anyway and it will only be £15 to unlock it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the Nexus 4 costing £280 People like Sony etc. need to have a word with themselves
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I agree, the Nexus 4 is imo a game changer for high end smartphones, especially considering they now seem to have got over the severe stock shortages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google dont make any profit from the Nexus.Cant see other companys going down that route.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you look at the retailers selling the Nexus 4 at its retail price it is still "only" £360. All the Nexus 4 has done is highlight just what profit companies like Sony are making on the handsets.

Fair enough the Z has LTE, an SD card slot and a frankly pointless 1080p screen, is that worth an extra £165, espessialy given Sonys track record when it comes to updates and i mean bug fixes not OS rollouts.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on iPhone 3gs with 10months to go on contract. Honestly fed up of my phone. I am on t mobile, if i buy a sim free version, can i put in my t mobile sim?

Also is the 3 phone locked to 3?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will need a micro sim for the Xperia Z either chop your sim down or get another from T-Mobile.
    I would think it will be locked to 3 you cant be sure until someone has one and confirms.
    Its £15 to unlock them with Three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    if you look at the retailers selling the Nexus 4 at its retail price it is still "only" £360. All the Nexus 4 has done is highlight just what profit companies like Sony are making on the handsets.

Fair enough the Z has LTE, an SD card slot and a frankly pointless 1080p screen, is that worth an extra £165, espessialy given Sonys track record when it comes to updates and i mean bug fixes not OS rollouts.

Its worth an extra £120 of my money from Three ;)
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    You will need a micro sim for the Xperia Z either chop your sim down or get another from T-Mobile.
    I would think it will be locked to 3 you cant be sure until someone has one and confirms.
    Its £15 to unlock them with Three.

Thanks and i am asking about the sim free one from carphone warehouse
    Forum Member
    Having played with an Xperia Z today I have to say thst the screen quality is amazing! But the brightness is abysmal. I know its low brightness for a reason but that's put me off now

But apart from that the phone is smooth fast and easily the best camera phone on the market running android. Its easy to hold as well but is a bit too square I think
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, if you don't like stock Android (argghhhh) just wait till the Galaxy S4 is released next month. It will be better than anything Sony or HTC release just like the S
    , S2 and S3 were. Honestly the wait will be worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having played with an Xperia Z today I have to say thst the screen quality is amazing! But the brightness is abysmal. I know its low brightness for a reason but that's put me off now
    Yeah, some of the early hands-ons I read said that the screen doesn't quite measure up to other 5" 1080HD handsets.
    Forum Member
    Yeh, my phone which isn't that bright anyway was much brighter than the Z on about 40%. The screen is really good though, easily the best out there for sharpness and quality. But its too dull and therefore looks pretty dark next to most phones.

Sure I probably wont notice it after prolonged use, but when compared to othero phones there is a huge difference
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...easily the best out there for sharpness and quality.
    Well, apart from the slew of other handsets with the same size and resolution of screen.

Even some no-name Chinese OEMs have 5" 1080HD handsets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Its worth an extra £120 of my money from Three ;)

You wont be saying thay in 6 months when it is buggy as hell and all Sony say is "do a repair"