Options

Iphone can't use Amazon mp3's ?

Comments

• Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I'd forgotten about all the details of how you use your iphone actually Dan Sette.

You probs cant do that on any other phone, but its a very niche area.

I concede it probably is. Although as I mentioned in my post there are enough people doing it for an equipment manufacturer to make a tool to enable it to happen.

I possibly made a mistake in mentioning GarageBand as an example (it happens to be what I use) to quote the cliche "other studio effects/ recording soft packages are available"

But no more niche than the specifically written astronomy packages written for Android. I'm not an astronomer so while useful for those that are it isn't enough to make me hanker for an Android phone, this time around.

And I disagree with the contention that because the software is specific to one platform, t doesn't count. Aren't ALL smartphones software dependant?
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I concede it probably is. Although as I mentioned in my post there are enough people doing it for an equipment manufacturer to make a tool to enable it to happen.

I possibly made a mistake in mentioning GarageBand as an example (it happens to be what I use) to quote the cliche "other studio effects/ recording soft packages are available"

But no more niche than the specifically written astronomy packages written for Android. I'm not an astronomer so while useful for those that are it isn't enough to make me hanker for an Android phone, this time around.

And I disagree with the contention that because the software is specific to one platform, t doesn't count. Aren't ALL smartphones software dependant?
    Out of interest Dan, do you know if any of the hardware add ons are compatible with iPhone 5? I've been considering forking out for my iPad/iPhone but would want it to be comparable for when I decide to upgrade.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I concede it probably is. Although as I mentioned in my post there are enough people doing it for an equipment manufacturer to make a tool to enable it to

if there is an exclusive app that's fine and you have to have it but not sure out of all the platforms out there this leads to "there are no limitations to the iPhone at all"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    Out of interest Dan, do you know if any of the hardware add ons are compatible with iPhone 5? I've been considering forking out for my iPad/iPhone but would want it to be comparable for when I decide to upgrade.

At present - the only option is to buy one of Apples converters (at the extortionate rate they charge). However as the Apogee is an analogue to digital device and accordingly doesn't need the digital to analogue converter to make the iPhone 5 work with speakers with docks etc Apogee are making a converter without that facility and will be cheaper than Apples offering.. Later in the year there will be a Jam that plugs directly into the iPhone using the new dock.

Either way it is covered.

Althugh there is other music software out there for the iPhone (and specifically for guitarists) - which is compantible with a device called iRig - I did try it, but it (the iRig) is prone to distortion.

And I have a lot of other hardware that talks to Logic Pro / Gargageband - keyboards and an acoustic drum kit, but triggered so it can be used as an electronic kit (but sadly not iPhone compatible - not that I'd use that in a hotel room!)
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At present - the only option is to buy one of Apples converters (at the extortionate rate they charge). However as the Apogee is an analogue to digital device and accordingly doesn't need the digital to analogue converter to make the iPhone 5 work with speakers with docks etc Apogee are making a converter without that facility and will be cheaper than Apples offering.. Later in the year there will be a Jam that plugs directly into the iPhone using the new dock.

Either way it is covered.

Althugh there is other music software out there for the iPhone (and specifically for guitarists) - which is compantible with a device called iRig - I did try it, but it (the iRig) is prone to distortion.

And I have a lot of other hardware that talks to Logic Pro / Gargageband - keyboards and an acoustic drum kit, but triggered so it can be used as an electronic kit (but sadly not iPhone compatible - not that I'd use that in a hotel room!)
    Thanks Dan. That's really helpfull. Sure would beat blasting my guitar out of my Amp. I'm currently a PC user so don't have the ability to use the same stuff as you but I understand you can export from iPad to PC so I can do further work on anything I record. :)
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    It is pretty obvious to me seeing as everybody knows you can get the things you mentioned, one thing you can't get though is the thousands of flash sites that stream these things for free.

That's what i mean, my daughter uses movies2k to watch episodes of US TV series on her samsung tablet. There is also a host of foreign and US sites that show integrated video clips that she uses.

I've never seen the attraction of tablets myself, especially for watching TV in bed, they just fall over when you let go of them.

Why not buy a proper netbook that has its own built in stand and a proper keyboard ?

BTW - I did something today which I just realised you probably can't do on an iphone.

I'm at work and wanted to transfer some music onto my phone but I didn't have my data cable.

So I popped out the SD card plugged it into the PC and transferred them on directly voila.

Also I'm about to order a new battery for the phone as the original is starting to lose its charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm at work and wanted to transfer some music onto my phone but I didn't have my data cable.

I don't want to sound like an evangelist - but yes, actually you can. Most of my copying is done over the air (I rarely connect the iPhone to the computer.)

If there is something - a song for example - but more often it's a track that I've recorded or edited.

I use LogMeIn from the iPhone - whereever I am in the country - to wake up the computer at home and then send me the track, via the internet - to my Phone.

But it doesn't have to be a song - it can be a document - any file in fact. The longest distance I've done something was use my phone in Australia to wake up the computer at home, and then requested, via the phone that it email a document to a friend that I'd forgotten to send.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the ipad we just sync wireless via itunes. I assume you can do this on the iphone as well.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what i mean, my daughter uses movies2k to watch episodes of US TV series on her samsung tablet. There is also a host of foreign and US sites that show integrated video clips that she uses.

I've never seen the attraction of tablets myself, especially for watching TV in bed, they just fall over when you let go of them.

Why not buy a proper netbook that has its own built in stand and a proper keyboard ?

BTW - I did something today which I just realised you probably can't do on an iphone.

So I popped out the SD card plugged it into the PC and transferred them on directly voila.

Also I'm about to order a new battery for the phone as the original is starting to lose its charge.

You can get a case wIth a stand so that it doesn't fall over in bed. You can also get a detachable keyboard. Obviously its not a substitute for a proper computer but it is very useful.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    On the ipad we just sync wireless via itunes. I assume you can do this on the iphone as well.

Yep wireless syncing is standard now. But obviously only works locally unless you have iTunes Match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to sound like an evangelist - but yes, actually you can. Most of my copying is done over the air (I rarely connect the iPhone to the computer.)

If there is something - a song for example - but more often it's a track that I've recorded or edited.

I use LogMeIn from the iPhone - whereever I am in the country - to wake up the computer at home and then send me the track, via the internet - to my Phone.

But it doesn't have to be a song - it can be a document - any file in fact. The longest distance I've done something was use my phone in Australia to wake up the computer at home, and then requested, via the phone that it email a document to a friend that I'd forgotten to send.

DUh, I just realised, I could have used blutooth.:D
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How does that help copying a file from my pc at work?
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot beat Amazon MP3's for price.

Especially when I do a search on MP3's, then sort by length and find mixes/albums 100 mins + in length for 69p. I have got several gb's worth of these mixes and they are all decent. :D
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Did you start this thread purely to kick off another iPhone vs Android argument?

I'm using loads of Amazon MP3s on my iPhone and my Android phone. I already had a computer to transfer them with, as do most people own smartphones. If they don't actually own a computer, they likely have access to one in their house.

Sounds a lot like more Apple envy by the OP if you ask me, hoping for self validation, quite sad.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like more Apple envy by the OP if you ask me, hoping for self validation, quite sad.

There is no such thing as apple envy. It exists purely in the mind of apple fanbois who just can't rationalise that not everyone loves them.

What twisted logic, when the OP is criticising apple, makes you think he somehow really likes apple.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    There is no such thing as apple envy. It exists purely in the mind of apple fanbois who just can't rationalise that not everyone loves them.

What twisted logic, when the OP is criticising apple, makes you think he somehow really likes apple.

You obviously don't understand psychology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Explain it then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What am I envious of exactly?

Baffled I am, yes !

Its normal to be baffled by irrational behavior, no?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh I do. Because you can't conceive that a rational and intelligent person does not share your view on apple, in order to avoid questioning your own conclusions and financial commitment, you dismiss their views as deranged. This serves the dual purpose of undermining them and actually, by the nature of the derangement, reinforcing your belief in apple.

You see this with religious fanatics too.

Were you going to say he fancies her so he's pulling her hair?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What am I envious of exactly?
    You know Apple are the best; you can't afford Apple; to compensate, you criticise Apple.
    Pure logic. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    You know Apple are the best; you can't afford Apple; to compensate, you criticise Apple.

I wish i could afford to bring myself to buying another Apple product, but i cant. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish i could afford to bring myself to buying another Apple product, but i cant. :(
    Well, that's what comes of writing those vile video games...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »

Apple isn't the best though, and some of the alternatives are as/more expensive than iphone :confused:

Lets put this in context.

Iphone and Android and windows phones all use exactly the same hardware inside.

Mac's and PC's and Linux computers all have exactly the same hardware inside.

Ipads and windows and Android tablets all have exactly the same hardware inside.

The only difference is the software that runs on them and the logo that is printed on the back.

They all do exactly the same functions, except Apple software, due to the anti competitive policies of the company, can't do quite as much as the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apple isn't the best though, and some of the alternatives are as/more expensive than iphone :confused:

Lets put this in context.

Iphone and Android and windows phones all use exactly the same hardware inside.

Mac's and PC's and Linux computers all have exactly the same hardware inside.

Ipads and windows and Android tablets all have exactly the same hardware inside.

The only difference is the software that runs on them and the logo that is printed on the back.

They all do exactly the same functions, except Apple software, due to the anti competitive policies of the company, can't do quite as much as the others.

Tea lady was being sarcastic. Obviously apple stuff has been second rate for a few years now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the :D was a pointer that I don't believe the "logic". However, the "logic" has been used regularly in this forum.