Kimberley Walsh on Nadine Coyle

Comments

• PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim's not being honest, she did bond with Nadine, Nadine was her best friend in the early days and the two were inseparable, so something happened to end that.

When Kim got her place at the house it was a big thing for her to tell Nadine. Nadine had stayed in touch when Kim was eliminated.

When the girls were announced, Davina was making a big thing about would best friends Kim and Nadine get in the band

Certainly for the first album they were close, it was very much Cheryl and Nic (After Javine got sent home). Nadine and kim. Sarah the loner

I agree Kimberley does seem to rewrite history a bit when she talks to the press. She always makes out that her, Cheryl and Nicola was close from the start, when it was pretty clear on the show that Nadine was her best friends. Their families were even holding banners up for both girls. It seems very fake for her to claim that she wouldn't have chosen to be friends with Nadine or Sarah if she had not been in the band when she clearly chose Nadine as her friend over Cheryl/Nicola before the band started.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    Kimberley does seem to have her tongue firmly lodged up Cheryl's backside.

You shouldn't give the Cheryl/Kimberley shippers ideas! I've read some of the fanfiction. Two words - Rule 34 :eek: A lot of it is a load of horsemeat.
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Kim's not being honest, she did bond with Nadine, Nadine was her best friend in the early days and the two were inseparable, so something happened to end that.

When Kim got her place at the house it was a big thing for her to tell Nadine. Nadine had stayed in touch when Kim was eliminated.

When the girls were announced, Davina was making a big thing about would best friends Kim and Nadine get in the band

Certainly for the first album they were close, it was very much Cheryl and Nic (After Javine got sent home). Nadine and kim. Sarah the loner
    I read the article in the paper Kimberly said herself her and Nadine were close in the beginning. But they drifted apart .
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the tabloids always pick on the more sensationalist bits - but what strikes me so far is that Kimberley doesn't seem to have that much to say about herself. I might be wrong though.

Most of the stories the press are printing are about other people (Louis, Nadine, Sarah)
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any rumblings of this in Cheryl's book? I know it was released pre-reunion tour so she probably didn't want to make waves, but was there any suggestions/impressions that Nadine was causing problems??

I can't help but feel Kimberley needed something the media would latch onto for promotion... She's hardly riveting...
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,550
    Forum Member
    Any rumblings of this in Cheryl's book? I know it was released pre-reunion tour so she probably didn't want to make waves, but was there any suggestions/impressions that Nadine was causing problems??

I can't help but feel Kimberley needed something the media would latch onto for promotion... She's hardly riveting...

Yeah it's pretty identical Cheryl said they were all fuming when she didn't want to come to the Brits and nadine bought her manager on tour without a prewarning , I'm a bit torn really as nadine didn't do herself any favours pre the break they had but Cheryl Kimberley and Nicola had got too big for their boots by the time the renunion came round, I think il wait for this to hit bargain basement or will ask for as a Xmas present
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do know you've given lots of people saucy fantasties with this thread title.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    For me, Kimberley is the most dull member of Girls Aloud. She is so dull. She mentioned Cheryl Cole (in the past), who I do not even like, just to get media attention. Now, she is doing the same with Nadine. I do not find this woman likeable at all. Her and Cheryl are the ones who got in the band, on looks alone in my opinion. Kimberley should be thanking Nadine. For me, Kimberley/Cheryl and Nicola come across as the ones with awful personalities, whereas Nadine and Sarah come across as more likeable and nicer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason why the girls didn't cause a ruckus when Cheryl started doing X Factor and eventually her solo stuff, they and the public were under the impression that Cheryl's solo career won't pan out well as much as Nadine. Yes, Cheryl was the most talked about member, but just because you are in the media plenty a time does not always equal album/singles sales. If anything, she might have just been the X Factor judge and the Loreal spokesperson and that's about it. Then Fight For This Love happened and it pretty much changed everything. Of course she used X Factor as one of her big promotions, but again, I didn't think it would have sold over one million copies.

As for Nadine, she was the strongest vocalist in the group and had the best presence. So, when she was pondering on doing her solo stuff, obviously the girls felt like they were in trouble or "betrayed" as some people would say. With the right material released, the focus on Nadine would have overshadowed Girls Aloud. Having said that, she did have heavy amount of press when she dated Jesse Metcalfe from Desperate Housewives (which the show and him were in the extreme popular heydays). I do think it's a shame that Nadine's solo career didn't work well as Cheryl or Nicola's. Having an own record label is a brave thing, but signing a deal with Tesco always sounded dodgy to me - even now. Insatiable was a decent song and I wish people gave it a chance. At least she lives in LA now and she can start again there, if she wants to.

I agree that Kim is the boring member of Girls Aloud, so it doesn't surprise me that she needed to slate Nadine and try to tip toe around Cheryl in the book. Watching Off The Record on YouTube again, I did feel a sense of tension at times with the band and Kim seemed to be alone in most of her scenes. Speaking of clique-ness, it is interesting in Cheryl's solo behind-the-scenes tour footage, it was Kim and Nicola who showed up and watched her perform. Kim is very lucky that she got to play the lead in Shrek musical for over a year. Suck My Pop on Viva (remember that show?) only lasted a season in 2010, I think. It's also funny how she was a contestant in a reality show, which was Strictly - instead of following Cheryl and Nicola and become the judge/mentor. Remember how she said that she "always wanted to do it"? Well, everybody knows you don't just to Strictly because you "love to dance" (Seeing clips of Wendy Williams show on YouTube yesterday and this thread today reminded me of this). Again, she was lucky to have the fans support and make it through to the final week.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »
    You do know you've given lots of people saucy fantasties with this thread title.

I can hear the Girls Aloud fanfiction writers typing furiously as I sit here in the college library pretending to study :D
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed in Kimberley. Like Cheryl she has little talent but at least Always thought she was a nice girl.
  • Gav 2.0Gav 2.0 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it really hard to comprehend how much people are willing to forgive Nadine for, simply because she's not Cheryl Cole, absolutely insane. In terms of being loyal to GA, Nadine set herself up for a solo career long before Cheryl did, hiring Bruce (Cheryl didn't get a separate manager until 2012), skipping promo, turning up weeks late for tour rehearsals and making it plainly clear Girls Aloud weren't here priority, yet it all seems to be whitewashed because she "carries the band" vocally? The band wouldn't have made it past 2 singles if Kimberley didn't take over and manage them when Louis Walsh stopped caring, all of this 'Kimberley should be thanking her' talk is ridiculous.

The point I stopped being interested in Nadine was when she was promoting Insatiable, she seemed to go to great lengths to set herself up as the "anti-Cheryl", really playing up to the rivalry in the press and in interviews undermining the band's previous work. As soon as it became apparent that her album wasn't going to take off, she cancelled all her fan-events and signings and returned to the US - she really showed no regard at all for her fans, which is why it shocked me when she pulled the whole "I begged the rest of the girls not to quit GA" thing out.

I don't think Nadine is a terrible person, in fact she seems quite sweet and very funny on twitter and I'll always like her for the fantastic work she did within Girls Aloud, but constant double-standards of the whole Cheryl/Nadine thing really bothers me. Granted people always like to support the 'underdog', but Nadine's lack of success was down to herself (control issues, ego, taking bad advice) - ultimately she HAS made mistakes, and if Kimberley felt betrayed by Nadine skipping an awards ceremony because it was too much effort, why shouldn't she write about it? Kimberley is almost universally recognised as nice, placid, unassuming all of this talk of a "horrible personality" for daring to write what she seems to have actually endured just really irritates me.
  • lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is amazing how all the posters on here know exactly what went on in Girls Aloud.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm, I 'm with Kim on this one. Nicola has a terrible weak breathy voice. Kim can sing, she has been in musical theatre. I agree with what Gav said here 100%.

But I don't really care
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I think it's unfair to stick Nicola in with Cheryl and Kimberely because while she is friends with those two, she is also the only Girls Aloud member who got in touch with Nadine during their break as Nadine said herself. Not even Sarah bothered.
  • lounge_actlounge_act Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Nadine actually forgot Kimberley in an interview while promoting her bomb of a single she mentioned Cheryl Sarah & Nicola then goes 'am I forgetting anyone,' & the presenter was like 'Kimberley' she was the one who got too big for herself Kimba has tried her hand at allsorts & imo has done a good job I have like her since the first time I saw her she comes across as lovely & her friendship with Cheryl is clearly genuine you can tell that by the way they look at each other there is a real bond between them which cannot be faked which is why she hasn't slagged her off cos why would she's her best friend. Also the reason Kimba & Nadine lived together initially will have been that Nadine was only 17 & Kimba was 21 so it made more sense than putting say Nicola with her who was also only 17 Kimba & Cheryl will have been paired with the younger ones to keep an eye on them. I love Kimba & I'm looking forward to reading what she has to say I pre oreded my signed copy at the start of August
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think it is very unfair. The other members were apparently unhappy about Nadine trying to do her own thing, yet they were all for Cheryl doing her own thing. I think double standards comes to mind.
    I think it was because Cheryl was essentially managed by the same team (or circle), as with all the girls during their solo period. Where Nadine found her own management outside camp Aloud.

I think Nadine was entirely in her rights to do so though I bet it did rub the team the wrong way. And I believe Kimberley was also employed as part of the management team within the group which is why she has that management perspective of feeling a little betrayed.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing, why is everyone claiming that Nadine has this amazing voice and is an amazing singer? To my ears her voice has an average poppy timbre, she's hardly Cindi Lauper, Lana Del Rae, Rihanna, Katy Perry or even Mel C. Often in pop music, (as opposed to rock, jazz and gospel), it's not how good of a singer you are but what your voice sounds like on a recording. Can you instantly recognise it within the first two bars of a song? Nadine has never had a beautiful voice like Alicia Keys or even an unusual voice like Beyonce has now as her voice has matured.

Neither do I think that she's technically an outstanding singer. She's not Mariah Carrie, nor does she has the jazz improvisational skills of the late Amy Winehouse. Kiri Te Kanawa doesn't have a particularly great voice recording voice but she is a classically trained opera singer. Kim has tried to stretch her vocal capabilities by singing in musical theatre, this is far harder than being an average pop singer which Nadine is.

I don't think of them are that brilliant vocally. If Nadine is that great, why was she in a girl group and why isn't she a solo singer? I did hear Nadine say that she joined Girls Aloud because she was thought she was too young to go solo. Fair enough, but if that's the case then she still should be more appreciative towards the rest of the girls?

It's clear to me who were the real reason for the success of Girls Aloud, Xenomania. Just 5 average singers and voices but with brilliant, fun (unlike Nadine's dire debut single) pop songs. Nadine has always come across to me as an egotistical little madam who thinks she's better than what she is. Cheryl and Kim on the other hand are always warm and friendly in interviews. Sarah always seems larry and Nicola always is miserable.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I always thought Nadine was the prettiest and most talented one, until Cheryl blossomed.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,750
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Another thing, why is everyone claiming that Nadine has this amazing voice and is an amazing singer? To my ears her voice has an average poppy timbre, she's hardly Cindi Lauper, Lana Del Rae, Rihanna, Katy Perry or even Mel C. Often in pop music, (as opposed to rock, jazz and gospel), it's not how good of a singer you are but what your voice sounds like on a recording. Can you instantly recognise it within the first two bars of a song? Nadine has never had a beautiful voice like Alicia Keys or even an unusual voice like Beyonce has now as her voice has matured.

Neither do I think that she's technically an outstanding singer. She's not Mariah Carrie, nor does she has the jazz improvisational skills of the late Amy Winehouse. Kiri Te Kanawa doesn't have a particularly great voice recording voice but she is a classically trained opera singer. Kim has tried to stretch her vocal capabilities by singing in musical theatre, this is far harder than being an average pop singer which Nadine is.

I don't think of them are that brilliant vocally. If Nadine is that great, why was she in a girl group and why isn't she a solo singer? I did hear Nadine say that she joined Girls Aloud because she was thought she was too young to go solo. Fair enough, but if that's the case then she still should be more appreciative towards the rest of the girls?

It's clear to me who were the real reason for the success of Girls Aloud, Xenomania. Just 5 average singers and voices but with brilliant, fun (unlike Nadine's dire debut single) pop songs. Nadine has always come across to me as an egotistical little madam who thinks she's better than what she is. Cheryl and Kim on the other hand are always warm and friendly in interviews. Sarah always seems larry and Nicola always is miserable.

Because in Girls Aloud, she is clearly the best singer and did carry the majority of the earlier stuff

Nobody is saying she is an amazing singer, but within the group, she has the most powerful voice and in my opinion the nicest tone
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Nadine has never had a beautiful voice like Alicia Keys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEqYnWUZCJY

She has a very beautiful voice.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    They all argue with one another.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimberley should be greatful to Nadine, it was her voice that paid Kim's bills for 10 years!

Correct , Kimberly was lucky to get in the group as I recall .

Her voice was the weakest by far and that's saying something !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To say Katy Perry is a better singer than Nadine is crazy. I have never liked Kimberly something off about her.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kimberley is the reason Girls Aloud succeeded. She took over their management when Louis Walsh did **** all and helped lead them straight into The Show/Love Machine which really solidified them within pop.

Kim hasn't actually really said anything THAT bad its all just been blown out of proportion.