Kimberley Walsh on Nadine Coyle

13»

Comments

• IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying she's the best singer out of GA isn't saying much.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEqYnWUZCJY

She has a very beautiful voice.

Thanks for this link. I admit she's a very good singer, you've proved me wrong when I said she was average. Still I think that her voice is average. You listen to Sting's original version (he has a voice like honey) and even Eva Cassidy's version (beautiful timbre and her tones sound different throughout her range). Eva sings with such heartbreaking emotion. However, I know that Nadine was only 17 here, so her voice had yet to mature. When Beyonce first started her timbre was more poppy and not as dark as it is now. Plus Eva Cassidy was terminally ill with cancer when she recorded Fields Of Gold :(, so it maybe unfair to say that Nadine doesn't sing with as much emotion.

I never said Katy Perry was a better singer because I don't think that she is, I said that she has a richer voice.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hardly a "blast". DM trying so hard to make a story out of very little.
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Another thing, why is everyone claiming that Nadine has this amazing voice and is an amazing singer?
    Because she has got a brilliant voice.

She's one of the few modern singers who is unafraid of her voice and attacks songs (maybe too much when singing live) harking back to the old days where singers weren't apologists and basqued in their brilliance.

And also she hasn't had that horrible Brit School-esque training where where singers seem to think irritating over-affections equals a special and unique voice.

She also got a great rapping style.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't seem as though anyone understands what I mean by timbre. Vocal Timbre is the difference between listening to Adele's voice (honey) to Amy Winehouse (Dark/unusual). It's the first thing you'd notice about any singer. To me Nadine's vocal timbre is bright and poppy, like Nelly Furtado's, Jessie J and Lady GaGa.

I agree that she doesn't oversing. I absolutely hate oversinging. It's actually very damaging to your voice if you oversing. Rapping is a technique, it's nothing to do with vocal timbre.
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    I find it quite bizzare people are defending Nadine it's obvious that she seems quite big headed and a bit full of herself as all of the girls in the band seemed to have a problem with her.
  • PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadine was always the best singer in Girls Aloud and did carry a lot of the earlier stuff. Her voice is now not as great as it was as the silly girl started smoking, but it is still a cut above most of the other girls.

A problem Nadine seems to have is that she does seem to annoy a lot of women and they can get quite catty and nasty toward her. I think this largely is a result of her being uncomfortable with the dancing in Girls Aloud which resulted in her overdoing some of the posing to compensate. Nadine also does not appear to be as media savvy or as bright as Kimberley/Cheryl (this is the girl who was caught out lying about her age on Irish popstars), which has resulted in her making unwise business and career decisions, taking advice from the wrong people and sometimes saying the wrong thing. Cheryl in contrast is an expert at media manipulation and knows exactly what to do to get the reaction she wants from the press and her fans. It also appeared that Nadine was made a scapegoat for the fact Girls Aloud broke up (all the girls were likely to be equally to blame) and the media had it in for her as she was the biggest threat to Cheryl who was the latest media darling (the same thing happened to Garry Barlow years ago when Robbie was the medias favourite). I also feel that some of Nadine's uncomfortableness with media attention gets confused with arrogance, the same with how Nicola is labelled as miserable, when compared to Cheryl/Kimberley who are far more comfortable in the limelight and after X Factor are far more media trained and therefore are likely to come across better. I always remember when Nadine appeared on Paul O Grady and she was sat on the sofa with Barbara Windsor and she commented on how Nadine was clearly very nervous and shaking when awaiting to perform (not the behaviour of a cocky person).