Well Done Lady Gaga

unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23765905
Lady Gaga has asked her fans to stop sending online threats to her critics.

The pop star said she would not condone "hateful or abusive language" directed towards others, adding "this is not a healthy way to handle your emotions".

Some of her fans had tweeted death threats to dance producer Deadmau5, who criticised Gaga's video collaboration with artist Marina Abramovic.

I'm not a fan of her but she's done a good thing. Now if only Bieber and One Direction did the same with their cretinous obsessives.

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. On the one hand, I think it's good that she's finally acknowledged this issue. But on the other hand, I think it's too little, too late. Her "Little Monsters" have been running wild for years now with no comment from her, so the damage has already been done.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damage limitation for her recent tweets and seemingly unbalanced behaviour in which she more or less encouraged it. This has been going on gor YEARS and has needed to be addressed on countless occasions. i understand she is not solely responsible for these individuals but she has a huge part to play. i think it's a case of the damge is already don.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    I agree it is too late but finally someone steps up and tells their fans it's unacceptable to do what they do.. Now if only Bieber and 1D can follow suit rather than, in the case of 1D, completely dismiss the idea that their fans would do that

Step up and tell your fans to stop sending death threats, or is it a case of being scared in case these weirdos stop buying the dolls, albums, magazines and they speed along their already limited shelf life
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its hypocritical of her to blame her fans for their messages, when she puts negativity out there herself at times. that article is somewhat misleading, because that message was possibly not posted directly in response to the deadmau5 death threats, but is far more likely linked to her twitter rants at perez hilton. the reminder to her fans was necessary, but perhaps she needs to practise what she preaches more often.
  • BobbyMcGeeBobbyMcGee Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah, now shes getting the hate she says something, but when they were giving death threats to kelly/sharon osbourne and everybody else, she says nothing and just says how much she loves her little monsters.

shes over, for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It may just be me being cynical, but I bet management forced her to do this following her attention seeking episode with Perez, realising it looks very bad on her part...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    its hypocritical of her to blame her fans for their messages, when she puts negativity out there herself at times. that article is somewhat misleading, because that message was possibly not posted directly in response to the deadmau5 death threats, but is far more likely linked to her twitter rants at perez hilton. the reminder to her fans was necessary, but perhaps she needs to practise what she preaches more often.

And with her supposed stance against bullying it's somehwat had to swallow after this has been going on since for years.

It's good she has addressed it but i wonder how heartfelt it really is or is it just a case of being seen to be doing something as whatever she was doing or planning ha sbackfired hugely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I commend her for finally doing it but I also think it's far too late! This has been going on for over 5 years & I can't help but feel she's only done it now due to the negative media attention the Perez fued has brought her!

Sharon Osbourne isn't exactly the best role model but I thought she said it perfectly back in January, below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzsuH_vD-WY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    And with her supposed stance against bullying it's somehwat had to swallow after this has been going on since for years.

It's good she has addressed it but i wonder how heartfelt it really is or is it just a case of being seen to be doing something as whatever she was doing or planning ha sbackfired hugely.

she's seems to be distancing herself from the negative stuff she has written on twitter by removing her tweets and then posting this to her fans. it like she is purposely shifting the blame from her on to her fans, that is the way i see it away.:rolleyes: nowhere in that statement does she acknowledge her wrongdoing at all and this comes the day after those tweets.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she's seems to be distancing herself from the negative stuff she has written on twitter by removing her tweets and then posting this to her fans. it like she is purposely shifting the blame from her on to her fans, that is the way i see it away.:rolleyes: nowhere in that statement does she acknowledge her wrongdoing at all and this comes the day after those tweets.:confused:

I think she is just losing it and trying to grasp her way back into peoples favour. It must sting that katy Perry has all but stolen her thunder and this seems lie atransparent attempt at shifting the blame and being seen to be the wronged party.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she is just losing it and trying to grasp her way back into peoples favour. It must sting that katy Perry has all but stolen her thunder and this seems lie atransparent attempt at shifting the blame and being seen to be the wronged party.

i do have sympathy for her predicament, i really do, but she has put this pressure on herself by starting this anti-bullying crusade. personally, i agree with everything she supposedly stands for, but she is undeniably poor at putting her own words into practice at times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i do have sympathy for her predicament, i really do, but she has put this pressure on herself by starting this anti-bullying crusade. personally, i agree with everything she supposedly stands for, but she is undeniably poor at putting her own words into practice at times.

I do it can't be easy facing such a back-lash but it was of her own making and inevitable. and your right i stand for all that she says it's a shame she doesn't always live by her own principles :o
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damage limitation for her recent tweets and seemingly unbalanced behaviour in which she more or less encouraged it. This has been going on gor YEARS and has needed to be addressed on countless occasions. i understand she is not solely responsible for these individuals but she has a huge part to play. i think it's a case of the damge is already don.

Yes, it is too little too late and after her behavior in many situations when she encouraged it and also used her team and friends to insult other artists on her behalf (on her own site), she comes of as a hypocrite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little too late for Stefani to now speak up now when it seems public opinion has / is dramatically turning on her

Where was this speech when her fans were threatening every other person & other stars. Even the people she claims to be fans of were getting hate vile threats, She sat back and watched it all happen, as she was on top of the world.

I'm afraid Stefani the damage is done. Too little too late. You made your bed..

I repeat what another poster has already said Sharon O is hardly a role model but she said it perfectly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    How ridiculous, where was she when they trended #Adelephant? The only reason she's saying anything now is because she herself was made to look like a weirdo with her paranoid rant.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it is too late but finally someone steps up and tells their fans it's unacceptable to do what they do.. Now if only Bieber and 1D can follow suit rather than, in the case of 1D, completely dismiss the idea that their fans would do that

Step up and tell your fans to stop sending death threats, or is it a case of being scared in case these weirdos stop buying the dolls, albums, magazines and they speed along their already limited shelf life

She seems to be doing this because she indirectly spurred the "hate" with the very public argument on twitter.
    Better late than never, but the public fighting on twitter is not something I endorse with anyone (the ones I like included).

I wish it was that simple as that: the singer says "Don't be mean" & the fans stop. But I don't think it works that way... Hopefully some stopped, but at least a couple (if not more) will just go on doing whatever they want and spoil it for the rest...

Since you brought them up:
    1D have already asked the fans to stop sending hate to their GF/family in the past & Louis was very vocal about his dislike of the extreme shipping of him and Harry (and how those fans were believing in something that wasn't true and abusing his GF/family). But despite his ver clear and blunt message, some fans (a significant portion) still believe in their truth and some still send hate to the boys' GF... It's not all the fans, but a couple of hundreds (or more, I didn't count them) are enough to ruin it for everyone.

I don't know if Lady Gaga is really under the illusion that she controls her fans, but if that's the case, it could lead to some rude awakening.
    Rude comments on youtube from little monsters are still popping up (against Sharon for example)... I don't imagine they will al stop their bullying of Perez. It's even facilitated by the fact that Perez is generally considered as a bad person, so the cyber bullies might feel even more vendicated...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    She seems to be doing this because she indirectly spurred the "hate" with the very public argument on twitter.
    Better late than never, but the public fighting on twitter is not something I endorse with anyone (the ones I like included).

I wish it was that simple as that: the singer says "Don't be mean" & the fans stop. But I don't think it works that way... Hopefully some stopped, but at least a couple (if not more) will just go on doing whatever they want and spoil it for the rest...

Since you brought them up:
    1D have already asked the fans to stop sending hate to their GF/family in the past & Louis was very vocal about his dislike of the extreme shipping of him and Harry (and how those fans were believing in something that wasn't true and abusing his GF/family). But despite his ver clear and blunt message, some fans (a significant portion) still believe in their truth and some still send hate to the boys' GF... It's not all the fans, but a couple of hundreds (or more, I didn't count them) are enough to ruin it for everyone.

I don't know if Lady Gaga is really under the illusion that she controls her fans, but if that's the case, it could lead to some rude awakening.
    Rude comments on youtube from little monsters are still popping up (against Sharon for example)... I don't imagine they will al stop their bullying of Perez. It's even facilitated by the fact that Perez is generally considered as a bad person, so the cyber bullies might feel even more vendicated...

how can her role in what happened be considered indirect?:confused: she vented about him being "sick", she also suggested he was "stalking" her, along with him supposedly sending her "psychotic" text messages and i could go on.:eek: ok, so she removed those tweets later, but her words were instrumental in the hateful posts that was sent his way that day and her part in that cannot be considered indirect by any stretch of the imagination.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the little meltdown over Perez it looks to me as though she's had her twitter taken away from her as it's sounding far more corporate now. Applause will peak again after the VMA's but I expect it to sink like a bomb not long after
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how can her role in what happened be considered indirect?:confused: she vented about him being "sick", she also suggested he was "stalking" her, along with him supposedly sending her "psychotic" text messages and i could go on.:eek: ok, so she removed those tweets later, but her words were instrumental in the hateful posts that was sent his way that day and her part in that cannot be considered indirect by any stretch of the imagination.

I meant exactly what you said: she expressed her "opinion", but didn't tell anyone to sent him threats, that's all I meant with "indirectly". But of course this "opinion" and the public fight on twitter lead to some of her fans sending horrible messages to Perez.

That's why celebs should be more careful with what they say on twitter, and certainly not fight on twitter IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    it looks to me as though she's had her twitter taken away from her

She's not a child, nor Britney Spears. She runs her own account.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1D should take a leaf out of Gaga's book.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    She's not a child.

She can sure act like one.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's not a child, nor Britney Spears. She runs her own account.

Strange how it's gone very corporate now though. I doubt Interscope will have been too impressed with her twitter behaviour over the past few days. She might not be a child so she should stop acting like one
  • MissLaurentienMissLaurentien Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga knew perfectly well her fans would bombard Perez Hilton's website with death-threats, get cancer, kill yourself comments. Even one fan suggesting to kill his kid. I mean, did she really think that her fans would to sit back and say nothing after twitting to stay out of it, stop sending negativity, and that she can fight her own battles? I don't think so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga knew perfectly well her fans would bombard Perez Hilton's website with death-threats, get cancer, kill yourself comments. Even one fan suggesting to kill his kid. I mean, did she really think that her fans would to sit back and say nothing after twitting to stay out of it, stop sending negativity, and that she can fight her own battles? I don't think so.

One? Hordes where telling him they'll kill his son. He may be vile but the monsters are worse.