I need a good 4 inch Android phone

GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
Forum Member
I presently have an HTC Rhyme on a SIM only contract from Vodafone and after only a year the sound is now intermittently failing. i have done a factory reset and it hasn't helped. so I need a new phone asap. I am a lady with small hands so the 4 inch size would be best but try as I can I cannot find a decent phone which ticks all the boxes - Android Jellybean, dual core, decent memory, SD card storage, I am tempted by the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini but put off by the lack of notification lights. Has anyone got one and would you recommend it? Or is there a good phone I have overlooked in my obsessive trawling around in the internet?

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and wife have s3 mini
    Its a good all rounder. Not sure about lights as havent felt the need for them. We have it set that if u pick it up it vibrates briefly if youve had a text or call. Lets you know without opening it up.
    IT is our first android phone so couldn't say if other phones do more but havent found anything I cant do on it yet. Its currently on JB 4.1.2 so not too far behind the nexus.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geowitch wrote: »
    I presently have an HTC Rhyme on a SIM only contract from Vodafone and after only a year the sound is now intermittently failing. i have done a factory reset and it hasn't helped. so I need a new phone asap. I am a lady with small hands so the 4 inch size would be best but try as I can I cannot find a decent phone which ticks all the boxes - Android Jellybean, dual core, decent memory, SD card storage, I am tempted by the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini but put off by the lack of notification lights. Has anyone got one and would you recommend it? Or is there a good phone I have overlooked in my obsessive trawling around in the internet?

The Huawei Ascend is £100 and as a 4" screen (with Gorilla Glass) and a 1ghz processor (though it's only single-core).

It also has a notification light above the display.

Mine has been a good phone for the price but the performance hasn't been good enough (though it's only £100) and I plan to upgrade to a Nexus 4. It's adequate for games and most other apps but I'd like something with a lot more power. I knew when I bought it it'd only be a temporary phone.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Geowitch wrote: »
    The Galaxy S3 Mini is not worth the asking price (£250-290). Even at 200 quid I'd rather get this.
    http://www.expansys.com/acer-cloud-mobile-free-screen-protector-and-backcover-grey-241653/

Acer isn't well known for their phones but it does tick all your boxes (JB is being rolled out as we speak).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mini was with small contract at 15.99 so dont notice cost of phone.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Galaxy S3 Mini is not worth the asking price (£250-290). Even at 200 quid I'd rather get this.
    http://www.expansys.com/acer-cloud-mobile-free-screen-protector-and-backcover-grey-241653/

Acer isn't well known for their phones but it does tick all your boxes (JB is being rolled out as we speak).

Or opt for the Nexus 4 (quad core, excellent software support etc.).

£240 on the Play Store (8GB)...
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    4" is not that popular size for a current android phone so you would be better going a bit bigger or smaller.

If you are set on 4" I would try and find an older model such a samsung galaxy s advance or motorola atrix. These are older models but still probably the best 4" phones out there but wont have latest JB although both dual core with sd support.

I would as I say look for an alternate sized phone
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    4" is not that popular size for a current android phone so you would be better going a bit bigger or smaller.

If you are set on 4" I would try and find an older model such a samsung galaxy s advance or motorola atrix. These are older models but still probably the best 4" phones out there but wont have latest JB although both dual core with sd support.

I would as I say look for an alternate sized phone

The S2 is not much bigger at 4.2 inches. It has just been updated to jelly bean and is still a decent phone in today's market.
    Forum Member
    The S2 is not much bigger at 4.2 inches. It has just been updated to jelly bean and is still a decent phone in today's market.

s2 is 4.3" .. and I agree there are plenty around at 4.3 but op asked for 4" so just giving options but there are better phones slightly bigger and smaller than 4"
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Or opt for the Nexus 4 (quad core, excellent software support etc.).

£240 on the Play Store (8GB)...
    I agree as I have an N4, however the poster wanted a removable SD card (if I'm reading it correctly) which the N4 doesn't provide. The Acer Cloud isn't a bad device though it could do with a bigger battery.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My average size hands managed 7" phablets more than fine.
    Considering 5" devices add minimal weight I'd cover all options.

With my 3.5" SF, I only really trawl the internet in an emergency.
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAZR i
    Forum Member
    Stuart P wrote: »
    RAZR i
    The cheapest Razr i is about 300 quid, why not get a Nexus 4 for that money?
    Forum Member
    :D note 2, iphone 5, Nexus 7
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    OK i could live without an SD card slot if there was enough memory for my photos and apps. I don't use all of my 4gb SC card anyway. I rule out anything huge as i have a Nexus 7 so am happy with a smaller phone. However I would consider the Nexus 4 - really it is between that and the Samsung. Being stupidly female i had fancied the red Samsung from CPW and cannot make up my mind! I know the Nexus is a better phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is bugger all up with the sammy....trust me. Half these folk probably havent used one. Mine is 8gb but have a 16gb micro sd in it for my music and pics. Can get up to 64gb.
    I use this phone now for everything that I used to use my computer for. And more. Sure ideally the n4 would be expandable and it truly would rule the world.
    Go ask for a shot of your short list of phones
    Forum Member
    By all accounts the s4 mini will be released this week so may be worth having on for a bit.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    By all accounts the s4 mini will be released this week so may be worth having on for a bit.

Unveiled this week but only released April 26th. That's only rumours, though...
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »

That'd be the Nexus 4 that has already been mentioned but doesn't have SD storage which the OP wanted...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

What's wrong with the S3 Mini?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even I'm holding off on getting the S3 mini coz, on paper anyway, the spec isn't even as good as the S2 even though it's a newer model... It'll either be S3 or S4 Mini for my next mobile but that's another story...
    Forum Member
    Because its chipset is a NovaThor U8420 which is a dual core but inferior to the S4 dual core in the Acer Cloud and far inferior to the Nexus 4. So really, if it was below 170 quid it might be a contender but £250? You're better off trying to find the SGSII which is still marginally better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still would like to see things I cant really do on my s3 mini that makes it so bad. Its my office, games machine, sat nav and hey even a phone. If you can get one on a cheapo contract then I see no problem.