Windows 10

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I'm getting lost here. What are these lock screen ads people are talking about? All I get is a pretty picture and occasionally something asking me if I like it or not. Maybe I turned off ads - I don't remember, apart from turning off that annoying Get Office 365 thing.

Presumably if you have 'Get fun facts, tips and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen' enabled in Settings>Personalisation>Lock screen, then you get these 'adverts' dotted about your lock screen.

They're not there when you boot up (presumably because they need internet access), but are when you lock or put the PC into sleep mode.
    They're not big. Just the same size as the thing that asks if you like the picture.

I only really see them on my Windows 10 tablet, as I don't tend to lock the screen on my desktops.
    Of course I could always turn the radio button to 'off'....but then who knows what I'd miss? :D
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all this mention of ads on the lock screen I just checked my settings for that , I chose a background pic for my lock screen other than that I never altered the settings for that screen so the "get tips and tricks" etc is still turned on but I have never seen any , is that because I chose a pic for the screen so they do not run or is my PC just weird.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    With all this mention of ads on the lock screen I just checked my settings for that , I chose a background pic for my lock screen other than that I never altered the settings for that screen so the "get tips and tricks" etc is still turned on but I have never seen any , is that because I chose a pic for the screen so they do not run or is my PC just weird.

No, my tablet and PC have a photo of mine selected as the lock screen, so I never see anything else. My admin accounts on both machines don't have a photo selected so they show random pictures of waterfalls or whatever. No ads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

Possibly it's the other setting - Settings>Personalisation>Start 'Occasionally show suggestions on Start' that controls these Store ads on the lockscreen? :confused:
    As I said, I've only ever seen them on my Linx 1010 tablet, so perhaps that's weird? :D
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. My laptop doesn't show the lock screen, but then I never lock my laptop - I just switch it on and off. If I did lock it I'd certainly want to see a lock screen, whatever that may be (what's the alternative, a blank screen?), but there wouldn't be any suggested apps/'adverts' sticking in my face as I have suggestions switched off. :D Have you not been reading the thread or what?!

i heard that the anniversary update have stopped people disabling the lock screen. the lock screen is not needed for a one account home computer, but MS seems to think there is. There are ways around this once the machine is booted up, but on the first boot it will have a lock screen.

At the moment the ads/suggested apps what ever you call them can be turned off, but Ms have changed so much and done a few things they should not really have done, are you really sure they will keep that option?
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i heard that [load of old cobblers].

You heard wrong. Like I said two pages ago, a lot of people seem to be regurgitating what they've read, rather than talking from personal experience. Apparently you're one of them. :blush:
    At the moment the ads/suggested apps what ever you call them can be turned off, but Ms have changed so much and done a few things they should not really have done, are you really sure they will keep that option?

If you're asking me to predict the future, I'd rather not thanks. The fact is, nobody is really sure about anything that hasn't happened yet. That's the nature of time. And like I said, I'd prefer it if people talked from personal experience rather than regurgitating BS. "I read somewhere that in future Microsoft might..." is a completely worthless, empty statement, wouldn't you agree?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I had Win 10 for about 3 days I think and don't remember seeing any ads but I did switch off just about everything I could see going on a sites suggestions.
    Anyway I didn't like it so reverted back to 7 which broke something and after a few tries by the fix toll it basically said 'sorry this cannot be fixed' or words to that effect.

Macrium, you are God (used to be Eric Clapton).
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I had Win 10 for about 3 days I think and don't remember seeing any ads but I did switch off just about everything I could see going on a sites suggestions.
    Anyway I didn't like it so reverted back to 7 which broke something and after a few tries by the fix toll it basically said 'sorry this cannot be fixed' or words to that effect.

Macrium, you are God (used to be Eric Clapton).

ol' slowhand revealed recently that the 'Clapton is God' graffiti was a publicity stunt story

top dude IMHO though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You heard wrong. Like I said two pages ago, a lot of people seem to be regurgitating what they've read, rather than talking from personal experience. Apparently you're one of them. :blush:

I see, so the fact that changing the groups policy in windows 10 pro after the anniversary to disable to lock screen have no affect what so, is not what you call disabling the feature to disable the lock screen? Also that people are complaining about it and that it was in tech stories and that I could not disable the lock screen either. Yet before the anniversary update I could.

So that is all wrong then?
    If you're asking me to predict the future, I'd rather not thanks. The fact is, nobody is really sure about anything that hasn't happened yet. That's the nature of time. And like I said, I'd prefer it if people talked from personal experience rather than regurgitating BS. "I read somewhere that in future Microsoft might..." is a completely worthless, empty statement, wouldn't you agree?

But I think we have already seen where Ms is going to in the future, since from when it started pushing Windows 10 onto people with the semi forced updates from older versions of windows, then once you had 10 on your computer to the forced updates in that and the change of policies and lack of control. you really do not need to have a crystal ball to see how this is going to unfold.

But at the end of the day, it is up to you what you use. i am looking at updating my machine in the next few months, waiting for AMdDto sort out this Zen thing and then see if Windows 8 will still run on it, if not then I will either go for an Intel chip that I know that Windows 8 will run on, not that I really want to go Intel, or decide if it is worth spending out as bit more money and going for a Mac.
    After all if I am going to go intel and be forced into an eco system, I rather it be apple than Microsoft, the only problem is getting the software again.

I would go 100% Linux if I could find the software I want
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noise are you now actually using W10, you said you never would and preferred W8.1 ?

If your still into video editing go for an i7 machine.

On a plus note, I'm very happy with W10 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Noise are you now actually using W10, you said you never would and preferred W8.1 ?

If your still into video editing go for an i7 machine.

On a plus note, I'm very happy with W10 :)

I am not using windows 10 on a full time basis, I have got it stored on a drive which which I can swap out with the main OS drive on my computer, when a large update comes out for it I swap it back in, update it and have a muck around with it for a couple of days and then stick the Windows 8.1 drive back in. so I have had a muck around with it. windows 10 still have too many problems and Ms have far too much control over it.

Not sure about the I7, I know it is a good chip, to be honest, I have used AMd since I started using windows based machines, apart from my first one which was a Cyrix, all those years ago. I said if I had to go to an Intel machine then maybe it is time for me to change operating systems and go for MAC OS as it is now called.

TBH Neo, I do not like the direction operating systems are going, they are way beyond what I think an OS should be and that is something that should sit in the backgroud so that we can run the software we want to run, not something that feels the need to stick up messages telling us things we really do not need to know and trying to connect to the net to send some irrelevant information to their producers and this is not just a Microsoft thing, this is also an Apple thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747, It's interesting that you should say all of that about operating systems being something that should sit in the background so that we can run the software we want to run, when evidently you spend a lot of time twatting about with the OS and obsessing about the chipset. Why don't you just get on with using your computer to run the software you want to run instead? :confused: If you don't want to see the lock screen and you are the sole user, don't lock your PC. You seem to be looking for problems, rather than obvious, simple solutions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747, It's interesting that you should say all of that about operating systems being something that should sit in the background so that we can run the software we want to run, when evidently you spend a lot of time twatting about with the OS and obsessing about the chipset. Why don't you just get on with using your computer to run the software you want to run instead? :confused: If you don't want to see the lock screen and you are the sole user, don't lock your PC. You seem to be looking for problems, rather than obvious, simple solutions.

i like to have a muck around with operating systems when I am not doing anything else, just to be nosy, Linux ones, MS ones, that is why I decided to get a removable drive bay in my computer, makes it easier. But when I am using my computer for normal use I just like to be left alone.

I am not obsessing about the chipset, the CPU yes, but chipset no. Excuse me for wanting a machine that does what I need, but trying to avoid a company I have been avoiding for years.

Look I have been trying to work myself out for the last 50 odd years, so I do not expect anyone else to :) , so if you are confused I can understand it.

As for problems, i do not have a problem, my computer is stable and works fine, ok it needs a bit more power and I do have one niggly fault that I can not work out, but I think it is a hardware fault as it does it with all operating systems.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 10 turning out to be a advert place then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else having any issues with IE 11 since the latest updates with W10 , mine was palying up but now seems to be getting gradually worse , is constantly freezing with not responding messages and recover webpage which it wasn't before. I have done a reset on settings and done the switch off and restart and then switch on and restart with windows features and nothing helps.

I need to use IE 11 in the office due to edge etc not being compatible with the security system and password manager etc
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many people have got the Anniversary update through Windows Update? I have tried it twice with the tool you get to if you follow the "Learn More" link. But each time I get a STOP error, just before section that usually starts at round 74% after the final reboot before the install finishes, but instead the STOP error happens and it rolls back to the pre-Anniversary update

I have a feeling it might be faulty memory, I have some new stuff ready to put in (because I only had 4GB and needed an upgrade of memory anyway), but I can't currently find my philips head screwdriver to open the PC Case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Look I have been trying to work myself out for the last 50 odd years, so I do not expect anyone else to :) , so if you are confused I can understand it...

Hah! Fair point. :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG I just has a popup asking me how likely I am to recommend windows 10 to a friend.
    Why can't they just leave me alone?

It is almost as bad as being cold called.

Microsoft are ruining the OS.

This is what happens when the original people who created someone leave and the money managers and hangers on take over.

This is the evidence btw.

http://www.howtogeek.com/235737/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-asking-you-for-feedback/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG I just has a popup asking me how likely I am to recommend windows 10 to a friend.

This is what happens when the original people who created someone leave and the money managers and hangers on take over.

http://www.howtogeek.com/235737/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-asking-you-for-feedback/

More bloody adverts! >:( Tsssk...
    "OMG ... It is almost as bad as being cold called." :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stone Free wrote: »
    How many people have got the Anniversary update through Windows Update? I have tried it twice with the tool you get to if you follow the "Learn More" link. But each time I get a STOP error, just before section that usually starts at round 74% after the final reboot before the install finishes, but instead the STOP error happens and it rolls back to the pre-Anniversary update

I have a feeling it might be faulty memory, I have some new stuff ready to put in (because I only had 4GB and needed an upgrade of memory anyway), but I can't currently find my philips head screwdriver to open the PC Case.

All five of my computers upgraded to the Anniversary Update via Windows Update without needing any intervention from me.

Have you googled the STOP error and it suggested faulty memory?
    If your computer is running normally otherwise, it's very unlikely the memory is faulty.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

This was turned off during initial set up.......I've never seen any popup asking me anything about W10.
    Maybe you should go through your settings and make sure they are all set so you don't get anything that annoys you.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    This was turned off during initial set up.......I've never seen any popup asking me anything about W10.
    Maybe you should go through your settings and make sure they are all set so you don't get anything that annoys you.;-)

For someone who supposedly likes Windows 10, you seem to have turned an awful lot of it off. :eek: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    For someone who supposedly likes Windows 10, you seem to have turned an awful lot of it off. :eek: :D

LOL, that made me laugh more than it should have.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had another Windows 10 update over the last two days on my three Windows PC's and I've also seen it on a friend's. This update gave two options on shutting down: update and shut down, or update and reboot.

There was no indication of how long this thing was going to take before shutting down. Could be seconds, could be hours. As it turned out, this one was only about five minutes.

But if you need to switch off a computer in a hurry for any reason, this is a total pain. There needs to be a third option: Shut down, and do the update later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I've had another Windows 10 update over the last two days on my three Windows PC's and I've also seen it on a friend's. This update gave two options on shutting down: update and shut down, or update and reboot.

There was no indication of how long this thing was going to take before shutting down. Could be seconds, could be hours. As it turned out, this one was only about five minutes.

But if you need to switch off a computer in a hurry for any reason, this is a total pain. There needs to be a third option: Shut down, and do the update later.

Same here, I assume it was with significant stuff as it gave the same options shut down and update or restart and update and I assume not loads of changes as the restart was pretty quick. As I have said since these recent updates my Wi-Fi adaptor has played up a bit switching on and off after initial start up but it says it has the latest driver and IE 11 is playing up.