I'm thinking of buying a new monitor and need advice

2»

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Probably because you were sitting too close to it With a 24" screen I'd be sitting back 5' - 6' away with the screen at eye level. At that distance viewing angles have much less an impact. Less eye strain as well.
    What on earth do you use your monitor for?
    5' to '6 foot of desk real estate before your monitor comes into play?:o
    I think you have TV viewing and PC monitor viewing mixed up.
    I have no problems 18" to 2' from my 27" monitor.
    Anyway, you should re-read his post........He replaced his 24" with a 24" so the distance and monitor size were not the problem. Also for photo graphics work, as stated, IPS is far superior to TN panels.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    What on earth do you use your monitor for?
    5' to '6 foot of desk real estate before your monitor comes into play?:o
    I think you have TV viewing and PC monitor viewing mixed up.
    Not getting anything 'mixed up' I watch a fair few films, videos etc on a 24" and I don't need to have my nose an inch away from the screen. That's absurd. To all intents and purposes I am watching a TV. And 24" is reasonable size. A decade ago when similar size CRT TVs were still around I'd easily view from about 6' to 7' away.
    I have no problems 18" to 2' from my 27" monitor.
    Anyway, you should re-read his post........He replaced his 24" with a 24" so the distance and monitor size were not the problem. Also for photo graphics work, as stated, IPS is far superior to TN panels.
    The OP said nothing about using his monitor for photographic work. Generally it probably is better to use IPS for that purpose. But then again I've read plenty of posts from users who claim with a good TN colours are vivid and realistic as with IPS.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,511
    Forum Member
    Not getting anything 'mixed up' I watch a fair few films, videos etc on a 24" and I don't need to have my nose an inch away from the screen. That's absurd. To all intents and purposes I am watching a TV. And 24" is reasonable size. A decade ago when similar size CRT TVs were still around I'd easily view from about 6' to 7' away.

Very strange, as we are discussing desktop computer monitors. Though I'm beginning to wonder now! I have two 27 inch monitors on my desk and as I'm writing this, I am 2' 3" from the screens, though sometimes, I push my chair back a further 6 inches. Always thought that's why PCs are called desktop computers... because they sit on a desk with a keyboard and mouse, and you sit at the desk to operate them and view the screen, do you not?
    Forum Member
    We are talking about a PC monitor for PC work, not a telly.....You need the TV forum..
    The OP said nothing about using his monitor for photographic work. Generally it probably is better to use IPS for that purpose. But then again I've read plenty of posts from users who claim with a good TN colours are vivid and realistic as with IPS.

You are getting yourself confused.....Re read the post you quoted when making your claim of sitting too close........Clue...
    I do a bit of photo and graphics work
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Always thought that's why PCs are called desktop computers... because they sit on a desk with a keyboard and mouse, and you sit at the desk to operate them and view the screen, do you not?
    Ah. I see. So following your logic laptops are thus called because everyone always has them perched on their laps when in use??? :D

I have a PC tower and it sits on the floor, never on a desk, but underneath it - the best place for it.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I've tried to find one instore to see it switched on but no luck. If everyone else has that site come across as very dark then I guess it's just the site. The TV i'm using is only a few feet at most away from me.

I only use my computer for basic things. It's just for a while now I've thought about changing back to an actual computer monitor and then I just seen that screenshot and it was nothing like the website showed it to be and I stupidly thought that what I'm seeing is wrong and that I've got it all set up wrong. I installed a game last week from Steam which is 8 years old and had turn the resolution down from 1920x1800 to 1366x768 just to get it to run and give decent fps. I don't know how much of a benefit I would really get by going back to a PC monitor.
    Forum Member
    I read a lot of text. There's no way I could sit that far back and read text.

I was in Curry's/PC World today and they didn't have a lot on display as it was a smaller branch but maybe 5 or 6 in total. They had some All In One PCs which had the touch screen monitors and they were the ones I liked, the screens are glossy but with the All In One PCs I never know if it's an actual upgrade on what I have or not so I'm not sure one of them is ideal for me.

The ones that were just monitors that were on display were the matte screen ones which are like the TV I have, same feeling when you touch them and they did look nice, they were called IPS and response times of 1ms and 5ms but when I looked closer at the screens the Windows desktop wasn't that sharp. The more I looked at it the more I seen that it might be very similar to the LCD TV I have and my main issue is how it looks, they were all 24" and 26", one was a really nice curved Samsung but I wouldn't mind dropping below 20" again. I just feel like when I go online, even on this forum when I'm typing right now it's like the screen isn't clear. This forum is white and dark grey but the white looks washed out a little and because it's a TV there is all the picture settings on the TV and then a completely different set on Catalyst Control Centre so I have 2 sets of Brightness, Contrast, Colour, Gamma etc. know it's not ideal. I just want a nice clear display. I do like those glossy screens but because a lot of sites don't mention that detail, it makes it impossible for me to buy online or second hand.
    Forum Member
    I have a 27" IPS screen 2560 x 1440. I could never go back to a 1080 screen or a smaller screen..Reading text is no problem.
    As for glossy surfaces, they are a definite no no. Make sure you go for a dedicated monitor and not just a small TV.
    Forum Member
    The TV is good or a lot of things, like looking at my desktop and some of the software I use it clearly does look good, the colours are sharp and vibrant and the whites look good too but when you're surfing the web or on a website like this and most of the screen is white or very muted colours it does come across as a little washed out and I know I can keep cleaning the screen but I don't know if that's really the issue or is it the TV itself and the fact that the TV has it's own settings and my graphics card settings might be clashing with that. That's my main issue and I know it's not a major issue for wanting a new monitor but it's mine. I'm not able to play the latest games or do anything fancy but I want it to look good for what I do do.

Even years ago I remember the old 4:3 monitors, especially by Dell and they used to be so vibrant. Maybe that was the way they were set up for work and I used them in libraries aswell but I remember that vividly and even back then I used to think I want a monitor like that, I remember how clear Microsoft Word was, it look really good and I went through a few monitors even then and they never really came close to that. I don't know how much resolution plays into all that, I know you're on a very high resolution and obviously wont want to go back. I couldn't tell you what the resolution on those monitors were yesterday but I can't imagine they were anywhere close to what you have. They only had a small selection on display but this was one of them.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/samsung-c24f396-full-hd-24-curved-led-monitor-10146138-pdt.html

I don't know if the reason for that price is just because it's curved. It did look nice but they had the Windows desktop on them all and it did not look that sharp to me. I know graphics cards can make things look better and maybe they just plugged them in with no fuss made but I wasn't impressed and I don't know if it's because I've seen quite a few glossy monitors and I really like them, I think they look nicer and the colours pop more. Do you think I should be looking at monitors higher than 1080?
    Forum Member
    You are correct in thinking that they just plug them in with no fuss and no adjustments.
    Wanting colours to 'Pop' is not the same as wanting realistic colours.
    You would be better off looking at reviews of monitors than shopping in PCWorld.
    That said, if you like glossy monitors, then perhaps, there is no hope that you will get a decent one...;-)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    You would be better off looking at reviews of monitors than shopping in PCWorld.
    Good advice. Start here:
    http://www.alphr.com/accessories/7015/best-monitors-of-2016-the-very-best-from-200-to-4000
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    You would do well to heed the old saying of - 'you buy cheap and you buy twice'. I would steer well clear of the TN monitors as they are budget technology and have limited viewing angles.

This monitor gets very good reviews and has a modest price tag - DELL 860-10161 - UltraSharp U2412M 24" IPS Monitor Black.

Speaking personally I would expect to pay in the region of £900 mark for my next monitor.