Catchphrase, Roy Walker Was So Funny Presenting It!

StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
Forum Member
I found him funny during the original runs but watching the repeats crease me up. The way he used to say "YOUR RIGHT" and his two versions of saying Right always tickle me if not crack me up!

One was short in an a happy exited tone when people got a catchphrase right with RIIIGGHTTT, but the other one when they got the Bonus Catchphrase right was like a Brazilian football commentator with RRRRIIIIGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTT! :D:D:D

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was normally, "its good, but it's not right

but i saw one when the chap gave a really bad answer, and he said "it's terrible, but it's not right"
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
    Forum Member
    it was normally, "its good, but it's not right

but i saw one when the chap gave a really bad answer, and he said "it's terrible, but it's not right"

I was watching some of the back to back shows on Challenge yesterday and he was actually taking the mickey out of some of the contestents for coming up with things that where obviously not a catchphrase but I was thinking to myself, how can you talk when some of the catchphrases on the show where not catchphrases either! My favourite non catchphrase that they had was an "Armhole"!!!! :D:D:D

Used to love it when he used to say "ITS FAST AND FURIOUS IN THE READY MONEY ROUND"!

Got to give it to him for being so cheerful all the time! I got the impression a lot of the contestant found it funny the way he used to get so exited and he could tell they where but he just nicely smiled it off all the time! Wish I could do that!
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roy Walker is a bit of a legend in my eyes.

This absolute classic scene shows how great he was in the role...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KotjiUQ7e0s
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He had a refreshing honesty - wasn't afraid to say exactly what he and probably the viewers at home were thinking.
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Roy Walker is a bit of a legend in my eyes.

This absolute classic scene shows how great he was in the role...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KotjiUQ7e0s

Yes but that clip was edited. Either that or they had the same bonus catchphrase twice on 2 different shows where someone else said the same thing. I've got it recorded somewhere where Roy Walker laughs for absolutely ages when the guy first said that, he just got the right giggles and couldn't stop laughing, it was brilliant! They should bring back the full cut!

I think the reason why they where really laughing looking at it again is not because of "tip the waiter" but it looks like at first that Mr Chips was pleasuring himself! :eek: :D

Agree that is he a bit of a legend! I think its his accent/voice. I love the cheerfullness in his accent and voice, I find it quite unique in general and he's not the first person from NI who sounds so happy and I often wonder how come they sound so happy when there was so many bad things going on back in the day in NI?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    "It's good but it's not right"
    "Say what ye see"
    :D:)

The catchphrase clip where it looked like Mr. Chips was *ahem* pleasuring himself :D :eek: :D
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone watches reruns of Catchphrase.

Please, you are kidding ?, yes, you're pulling my leg.

Terrible show, terrible presenter.

Awful ITV shite, it makes 3 2 1 look good.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats Mr Chips doing ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Catchphrase back in the day. Sadly, if it were ever revived by ITV, it'd be All Star Celebrity Catchphrase, as presented by Vernon Kay.

I can't watch the new Family Fortunes any more. It's just terrible.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catchphrase was great, it was on from about 9 in the morning, till 10 at night the other day :p

Also had a day of Takeshi's castle :D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Like Bob Holness on Blockbusters, Henry Kelly on Going For Gold, and Richard O'Brien on The Crystal Maze, Roy Walker on Catchphrase was an example of a show so perfectly presented by a particular host, it could never work as well with a new host.
    Forum Member
    Ed Tudor Pole was quite good on The Crystal Maze replacing Richard O'B, but I agree with you :)
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy Walker now works on cruise ships. Yet another reason I won't do cruises!
    Forum Member
    Like Bob Holness on Blockbusters, Henry Kelly on Going For Gold, and Richard O'Brien on The Crystal Maze, Roy Walker on Catchphrase was an example of a show so perfectly presented by a particular host, it could never work as well with a new host.

I agree, those presenters where brilliant and when will Going For Gold be repeated? That was brilliant!

Loved the Crystal Maze too, WOULD YOU START THE FANS PLEASE?"!!! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    :D:D
    On my first whistle, you START collecting, on my 2nd whistle you STOP collecting :)
    Going for Gold was best when the mighty quiz had contestants from all over Europe :D:p
    Blockbusters wasnt the same with adult contestants - even when I was about 7 or 8 I was surprised how much I could answer on it :)
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can still hear a little bit of Roy on Carpark Catchphrase with Chris Moyles every morning Monday to Thursday at 9.45am or thereabouts on Radio 1.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member

Not forgetting Richard Whiteley on Countdown and William G Stewart on Fifteen to One.
    Forum Member
    Agreed!
    Richard and Carol WERE Countdown though Jeff and Rachel aren't too bad (particularly Rachel) :)
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love Catchphrase! I remember thinking I would love to go on it, as even the losers sometimes went home with £900 or sometimes more, when at the time, most gameshows had £1000 as their jackpot!

I wish they would bring it back, with or without Roy Walker, as I'm sure it would still be as popular today!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was quite funny some of the time. I used to enjoy watching this years and years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to laugh when he would dance along to the jazzy music during certain Catchphrases, and all his terrible jokes at the start, as well as "Charles, tell us some more about that wonderful holiday!". Roy Walker is an absolute legend!