Thinking of switching from iPhone 4 to Galexy S3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
Forum Member
I have my iPhone 4 almost 2 years now, my contract was up a few months back., I still adore my iPhone and it's still in mint condition. However I'm in a position to enter a new contact and I'm torn on whether to wait for the iPhone 5 or just get a Samsung Galexy S3 now.

I love the features of the S3 and it's by far the best phone on the market now. I am however torn on whether or not to make the switch as it will be a two year contract that I don't want to regret it a few months down the road.

I don't want this to turn into an IOS VS. Android war thread. I just want to ask some questions regarding my favourite apps as I've never used android. My question is, are these apps available on Android as I have them on my iPhone and feel like I can't do witout them. Are these available on Android and if so, do they differ from the IOS versions in any way?

1. Facebook
2. Twitter
3. Foursquare
4. Instagram
5. Photo Toaster
6. Angry Birds
7. Sky Drive
8. Cineworld
9. Temple Run

(These Apps are for here in Ireland only but it would be much appreciated if you could tell me if they're available anyway).
10. Dublin Bus
11. UPC

Also, anything (important) I should know before switiching. I don't want to compare the phones as such as I know the difference, just more about switching from Apple to Android? Thanks for the help in advance!

Comments

• CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook, Twitter, Forsquare, Instagram, Angry Birds, Cineworld and Temple Run are available. I don't know what Photo Toaster is, and it isn't on Android, but I'm sure another app can do what it does. If it's for changing photos, there are plenty of apps for that. Microsoft has yet to launch on official Sky Drive app for Android, but there is a highly rated app available from another source. An official app is due to be released next month apparently. That said, you can download One Note and integrate Sky Drive into that.

As for the Irish apps, Dublin Bus is available and there is an app called "Native UPC NL & Ireland", but I don't know if this is what you're looking for.

Android apps tend to be the same as the iOS ones, except where they are designed to be Android-only. Android-only apps are usually built to work with the unique features of the OS and can included several customisable widgets etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    Facebook, Twitter, Forsquare, Instagram, Angry Birds, Cineworld and Temple Run are available. Microsoft has yet to launch on official Sky Drive app for Android, but there is a highly rated app available from another source. I don't know what Photo Toaster is, and it isn't on Android, but I'm sure another app can do what it does. If it's for changing photos, there are plenty of apps for that.

As for the Irish apps, Dublin Bus is available and there is an app called "Native UPC NL & Ireland", but I don't know if this is what you're looking for.

Thanks so much for the advice. Photo Toaster is another photo manipuation app but I find it superior to others as the effects are so fast and easy to apply. Either way, I do think I could do without it if needs be. The UPC app is very much like SKY+ in that you can remotely set shows to record from a mobile TV Guide, not sure if I can do this on android and that's a big selling point for me. Dublin bus is a must as I use buses every day around the city for gym and work so that's a relief.

Hoping Microsoft come to something soon because all my photos are on Skydrive from the past 10 years and I love being able to carry them with me all the time without affecting internal storage.
  • cliversclivers Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    you can check the android apps here https://play.google.com and see what they have.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Have a look at this series of videos comparing the two OS's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wicked4u2c/videos
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    If you are thinking to switch from iPhone to S3 then go ahead. You may find all the apps in Google Play store.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If you are thinking to switch from iPhone to S3 then go ahead. You may find all the apps in Google Play store.

You can always check Google Play first to see if it has the apps you want before you deceide to change over.
  • ramzezramzez Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I have been using Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks, and the same apps although may look the same are not as polished in experience than the same on iPhone. So now i am back to my iPhone 4 and really waiting for new iPhone announcement.

i have used: Facebook, twitter, foursquare, maps, g+, next bus, tube, euro 2012, email of course.

Overall, i found although android has some nice features, my experience with iPhone is much better.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best thing to do would be to take out a new contract with the Samsung S3 and see how you get on with it. You have 28 days to return it if you don't like it.

If that's the case, go back to using your iPhone 4 till the new one comes out and you can see what it's like nearer the time.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    The SGS3 will probably still be the better phone when the iPhone 5 comes out.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ramzez wrote: »
    I have been using Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks, and the same apps although may look the same are not as polished in experience than the same on iPhone. So now i am back to my iPhone 4 and really waiting for new iPhone announcement.

i have used: Facebook, twitter, foursquare, maps, g+, next bus, tube, euro 2012, email of course.

Overall, i found although android has some nice features, my experience with iPhone is much better.

Of course for many this is true and for many it isn't. For me web browsing is the most important thing and that is very poor on a 3.5" screen where as on a 5.3" screen it is OK. Isn't it great we have a choice.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    The SGS3 will probably still be the better phone when the iPhone 5 comes out.

Now now, the OP didn't want to start another war.