Options

How can people deny the Scottish votes existence?

Comments

• Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    we've come full circle.. it doesn't matter
    It's all about money for Simon Cowell from the whole series... I would imagine he gets loads of money from the millions of phone calls as well as the sales from the winner's single. Perhaps there is more money for him from the adverts that also cost a bomb during the X Factor!
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jahmene got to the final by screeching. Was that the English vote. No, it was the sympathy vote.
    James Martha won by growling. The English vote. Actually, the "don't let Maloney win campaign."

Marcus Collins. Bland but reliable came second. The Liverpool vote?
    Craig went out the week he was no longer a Scouser but from Kirby & Marcus got the full Liverbird/ This Is Anfield treatment.
    Little Fix won. The "they only forgot the words once & the judges covered for them" vote.

The constant mention of Nic being Scottish is ensuring the English veert fer Sam.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all about money for Simon Cowell from the whole series... I would imagine he gets loads of money from the millions of phone calls as well as the sales from the winner's single. Perhaps there is more money for him from the adverts that also cost a bomb during the X Factor!

Sony/Syco receive income from voting.
    Income from the tour and merchandise.
    Income from album sales and merchandise.
    Income from Samsung for constantly plugging their products in the VTs.
    Income for plugging acts from other record labels.
    Free advertising for their comedy acts, Olly, Direction, JLS, Little Mix, James Martha etc on the show and in the ad breaks. This saves them the cost of real advertising.
    They also save on having to scout talent etc.
  • Options
    biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't know that. I just read her Wikipedia page and it is very sad. She had a beautiful voice and was one of my favourites that series.
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who deny that regional voting exists are, quite frankly, idiotic. It's not just the 'Scottish vote' either. Over the years we've seen the Irish and even the Liverpool vote carry acts to the latter stages of the competition.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Vol wrote: »
    People who deny that regional voting exists are, quite frankly, idiotic. It's not just the 'Scottish vote' either. Over the years we've seen the Irish and even the Liverpool vote carry acts to the latter stages of the competition.

I don't really think people are saying a regional vote doesn't exist , people are saying that someone from motherwell wont get the support of the whole of Scotland but rather from their immediate area in the same way all other contestants will also, and therefore its unlikely to be a deciding factor
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    I don't really think people are saying a regional vote doesn't exist , people are saying that someone from motherwell wont get the support of the whole of Scotland but rather from their immediate area in the same way all other contestants will also, and therefore its unlikely to be a deciding factor

Thanks Mimi you have it spot on there is a regional vote for Nicholas in the west of Scotland no doubt an area of around a million people.

The whole of Scotland is not a region, it's 5 million people

However there is another 4million people live in the rest of Scotland, there is nothing to suggest people in say Aberdeen would vote for Nicholas as it's around 120 miles from where Nicholas is from.

That is like saying people in Newcastle would automatically vote for someone from Liverpool
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a country of less people than London can sway the vote - and that is if everyone en mass vote???.......

......meanwhile back in the real world......
  • Options
    tiggerspptiggerspp Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    If that hideous excuse for a man Salmond gets his way it wont matter in a couple of years as they won't be allowed to enter British X Factor, they'll have to have their own verison of the show!

Now you think it's heading down hill already, imagine a low budet Scottish version :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the way Leon Jackson Susan boyle storm lee and ricky loney were in a sentence saying enough said? Whats your point? They were talented singers shouldn't they be in the final just because they are scottish? Yes ok Nicholas shouldn't make the final 12 cause hes scottish but we will put talentless people like Rylan clark in because he's English?
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    clare7777 wrote: »
    I love the way Leon Jackson Susan boyle storm lee and ricky loney were in a sentence saying enough said? Whats your point? They were talented singers shouldn't they be in the final just because they are scottish? Yes ok Nicholas shouldn't make the final 12 cause hes scottish but we will put talentless people like Rylan clark in because he's English?

You obviously missed my point.

The point I was making was how come none of these Scots won if this so called Scottish vote is oh so powerful!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    You obviously missed my point.

The point I was making was how come none of these Scots won if this so called Scottish vote is oh so powerful!

I get that Scottish acts don't always win, but I think it's clear when you get to the latter stages, the Scottish vote does count for something to get a Scottish act over the finishing line, especially when there is sympathy evoked (reference Gary's negative comment to Nicky)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerspp wrote: »
    If that hideous excuse for a man Salmond gets his way it wont matter in a couple of years as they won't be allowed to enter British X Factor, they'll have to have their own verison of the show!

Now you think it's heading down hill already, imagine a low budet Scottish version :D:D

Really? You have to be British to enter the X Factor did anyone think to tell Dublin Mary or the Spanish Ruth Lorenzo???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Angelsbaby wrote: »
    Really? You have to be British to enter the X Factor did anyone think to tell Dublin Mary or the Spanish Ruth Lorenzo???

You lot on here don't really do humour do you? Maybe you should all stop taking things quite so literally eh?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    mrs brody wrote: »
    I get that Scottish acts don't always win, but I think it's clear when you get to the latter stages, the Scottish vote does count for something to get a Scottish act over the finishing line, especially when there is sympathy evoked (reference Gary's negative comment to Nicky)

but you could use that same argument for any regional vote but for some reason the so-called Scottish vote or irish vote always get paraded every time an act people don't like do well
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think the OP has a point. We were in Scotland the weekend of the Pop Idol 2 final and absolutely everywhere we went people were talking about Michelle McManus and how they were going to vote for her, how she was one of theirs etc etc.

I remembered that when Leon unexpedctedly beat Rhydian in 2007 and the producers tried to make it into a Wales v Scotland battle.
  • Options
    InsomniacParadeInsomniacParade Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    but you could use that same argument for any regional vote but for some reason the so-called Scottish vote or irish vote always get paraded every time an act people don't like do well

If the Scottish independence debate has proven anything, it is that there is a vocal minority in Scotland who despise everything English. Those are the kind of people I can imagine voting regionally even if they live in the opposite corner of Scotland to Nicholas and I do think they can make a difference especially in a series where the viewing figures are so bad.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I do think the OP has a point. We were in Scotland the weekend of the Pop Idol 2 final and absolutely everywhere we went people were talking about Michelle McManus and how they were going to vote for her, how she was one of theirs etc etc.

I remembered that when Leon unexpedctedly beat Rhydian in 2007 and the producers tried to make it into a Wales v Scotland battle.

From someone who lives in Scotland. That certainly hasn't happened with Nicholas. When ever people talk about X Factor it's Sam B they talk about.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Scottish independence debate has proven anything, it is that there is a vocal minority in Scotland who despise everything English. Those are the kind of people I can imagine voting regionally even if they live in the opposite corner of Scotland to Nicholas and I do think they can make a difference especially in a series where the viewing figures are so bad.

Just as there is people in England who hate everything Scottish. You should of seen some of the tweets about Nicholas' friends and family last night. Vicious.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From someone who lives in Scotland. That certainly hasn't happened with Nicholas. When ever people talk about X Factor it's Sam B they talk about.

Ok fair point if you're in the know and live there, but it certainly happened with Michelle (who was bloomin' awful!)
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerspp wrote: »

The 'low budget' version you imagine, would have its final in a bigger arena than Wembley..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUedUBw4gLU
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Just as there is people in England who hate everything Scottish. You should of seen some of the tweets about Nicholas' friends and family last night. Vicious.

So, basically there are those on both sides of the border who are as bad as each other? Sort of cancel each other out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The 'low budget' version you imagine, would have its final in a bigger arena than Wembley..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUedUBw4gLU

I am sure all five members of the audience who are not p1ssed up lying in the gutter by 8pm on a Saturday in Glasgow would have a great time :D

PS I am only joking, I like the Scots as a rule to be honest, they seem more grounded than the average Englander ... well the southerners at least!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Nicky wearing tartan - is this not a bit of a pull for votes?
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrs brody wrote: »
    What about Nicky wearing tartan - is this not a bit of a pull for votes?

It's very "in" this season :)