Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure it was in the past. Mark was arriving home having been sent back to London. The journalist was interviewing for a permanent job at the Telegraph following his articles on the disappearance.

The scene later, with him speaking to Emily, was in the present day. He referenced something the journalist said at the taxi rank, and said it was a long time ago.

It was the past. He was recalled to the UK and after getting off the Eurostar (?) went to the taxi rank. There he spoke to the journalist.

The scene in the restaurant celebrating his 'promotion' was the present.
  • Options
    Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I am enjoying this drama, not quite as much as I did Broadchurch, I was addicted to that!!

I believe that Ollies disappearance is a consequence of the actions of several people, it's all built up and ended in him going missing. I don't think that the Hughes were involved in Ian's disappearance I think that's a red herring.

Re BIB Yes, as the journo said, "every action has a reaction". And that goes for most of the characters I believe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    It was the past. He was recalled to the UK and after getting off the Eurostar (?) went to the taxi rank. There he spoke to the journalist.

The scene in the restaurant celebrating his 'promotion' was the present.

Yes exaclty. It was the taxi rank outside Kings Cross St Pancaras.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes! I was standing there myself not long ago :D
  • Options
    openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Yes, as far as we know so far he has not been convicted of anything else. And also he seems not to have ever acted on his impulses

I think Bourg is a victim of Garrett. That he was kidnapped wen he was a child (the photos of the woman he was looking at last week possibly being the mother he was taken from).

Agreed.

The last couple of episodes I have had in the back of my mind that Bourg's "association" with Garrett was as a previous victim of abuse as a child.

The one line that Bourg said at the end of episode 4 really stood out to my Northern Irish ear.

"No Bother."

That sounded very Scottish to me.

Perhaps someone who has been influenced in the company of a Scottish person? Garrett wouldn't have wanted for Bourg to spill the beans of this previous abuse when under pressure at the police station. Yet, he knew him intimately enough to know "he did not have the stomach" for the abduction himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whoops. Got an extra 'a' in St Pancras there somehow!
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    openarms wrote: »
    That sounded very Scottish to me.

Perhaps someone who has been influenced in the company of a Scottish person? Garrett wouldn't have wanted for Bourg to spill the beans of this previous abuse when under pressure at the police station. Yet, he knew him intimately enough to know "he did not have the stomach" for the abduction himself.

Do we know where Bourg is supposed to be living in the UK?

The board for the school he walks past has the first four digits of a phone number on it, 0132, and there's two Scottish codes that start with those digits....

Just wondering!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know where Bourg is supposed to be living in the UK?

The board for the school he walks past has the first four digits of a phone number on it, 0132, and there's two Scottish codes that start with those digits....

Just wondering!

01322..... That looks like Kent? Perhaps someone can confirm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    yes it's dartford and kent surrounding areas- just looked it up :)

Cheers. There's also a St George's Cross flag hanging from his neighbour's window.

Not sure how popular that would be north of the border :D
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about when Emily went to the garage to collect the car - the guy there said it was the battery!! That's hardly a big problem and certainly nothing to keep the car for a period of time to warrant the family staying in a hotel to wait for it is it?
    Do we know the time scale here - how long after the abduction did Emily go to collect the car?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    And it's this (apologies if someone has already suggested this earlier in the forum but I've only just caught up on iplayer)

I think that the wrong boy was kidnapped.
    I think the boy that was meant to be kidnapped was the son of mark the liasion office now Emily's boyfriend. Maybe as part of a revenge tactic or as collateral for some past deed gone wrong.
    Remember they were on holiday in the same place. Boy is the same age. I reckon Mark's a dodgy copper and possibly the Romanian gangs (or some other baddy) meant to kidnap his son but ended up being confused and kidnapping another English boy ie oliver.
    I'm very suspicious of Mark generally...what are his credentials. We know nothing about him at all. Presumably he must have had a wife/partner at some point -- he said 'we were in holiday and I volunteered to help out' in the very first episode when we meet him. Who is the 'we'?? Where is she now?
    Mmmmmm. Dodgy, well dodgy.
    So back to my theory. Oliver gets taken by mistake, they realise too late but can't do anything else about it. He's got rid of. Mark realises this possible and needs to involve himself in the investigation to keep track of how much danger he's in.... I don't know.
    Basically I just don't trust Mark.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a thought, yes, and Mark does seem a bit odd. Where's his son now though? If he realised that it was his boy that should have been taken, wouldn't he have made sure he hot-footed it back to Blighty with him to keep him safe? If I remember rightly, he stuck him in a taxi, but who is looking after him? No doubt we'll find out in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy_Duke wrote: »
    It's a thought, yes, and Mark does seem a bit odd. Where's his son now though? If he realised that it was his boy that should have been taken, wouldn't he have made sure he hot-footed it back to Blighty with him to keep him safe? If I remember rightly, he stuck him in a taxi, but who is looking after him? No doubt we'll find out in the end.

Well, we know his son is safe somewhere, because we've seen the 2014 version of him.
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    Daisy_Duke wrote: »

He's there - Emily's dad confuses him (the son) for Ollie when he's dying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just want to say thank you to everyone who is contributing to this thread - I've read every single post and it's making my enjoyment of the show even better, I love all the theories!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dachse wrote: »
    How about when Emily went to the garage to collect the car - the guy there said it was the battery!! That's hardly a big problem and certainly nothing to keep the car for a period of time to warrant the family staying in a hotel to wait for it is it?
    Do we know the time scale here - how long after the abduction did Emily go to collect the car?

I think Emily goes to collect the car around five days after the abduction. But that's only because she had bigger things to concern herself with.

The car went into the garage as they arrived in town. As far as I remember, Ollie went missing that same night. Before his disappearance, Tony had received a call from the garage to say the car would be ready to collect the next day.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's this (apologies if someone has already suggested this earlier in the forum but I've only just caught up on iplayer)

I think that the wrong boy was kidnapped.
    I think the boy that was meant to be kidnapped was the son of mark the liasion office now Emily's boyfriend. Maybe as part of a revenge tactic or as collateral for some past deed gone wrong.
    Remember they were on holiday in the same place. Boy is the same age. I reckon Mark's a dodgy copper and possibly the Romanian gangs (or some other baddy) meant to kidnap his son but ended up being confused and kidnapping another English boy ie oliver.
    I'm very suspicious of Mark generally...what are his credentials. We know nothing about him at all. Presumably he must have had a wife/partner at some point -- he said 'we were in holiday and I volunteered to help out' in the very first episode when we meet him. Who is the 'we'?? Where is she now?
    Mmmmmm. Dodgy, well dodgy.
    So back to my theory. Oliver gets taken by mistake, they realise too late but can't do anything else about it. He's got rid of. Mark realises this possible and needs to involve himself in the investigation to keep track of how much danger he's in.... I don't know.
    Basically I just don't trust Mark.

Interesting, though I don't see how the kidnappers would have confused Ollie with Mark's son, as he was swimming with Tony for a good while and then was holding his a hand a split second before going missing. Why would a kidnapper have been there if they were planning to take Mark's son, and surely they would not have mixed them up with Mark not there?

There does seem to be an element of pre-planning in all of this, but whether Oliie was a specific target, or whether they thought a crowded bar at a leisure park would make good 'cover' for an opportunist steal I don't know!
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Emily goes to collect the car around five days after the abduction. But that's only because she had bigger things to concern herself with.

The car went into the garage as they arrived in town. As far as I remember, Ollie went missing that same night. Before his disappearance, Tony had received a call from the garage to say the car would be ready to collect the next day.

It was the car breaking down that made me think that Tony deliberately stopped at that town. The battery was clearly disconnected and it was him taking a call outside of car with engine off that meant he couldn't restart it. He knew the person he was talking to.

I asked this last week. Do we know what Tony job is? His wife is a teacher it seems. It is strange to not know what Tony does?

Stress I don't think Tony is involved in missing Ollie case. I do think he may have been up to no good to earn some cash. That is why there is such profound guilt and why his wife may have reacted badly toward him when she finds out.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    It was the car breaking down that made me think that Tony deliberately stopped at that town. The battery was clearly disconnected and it was him taking a call outside of car with engine off that meant he couldn't restart it. He knew the person he was talking to.

I asked this last week. Do we know what Tony job is? His wife is a teacher it seems. It is strange to not know what Tony does?

Stress I don't think Tony is involved in missing Ollie case. I do think he may have been up to no good to earn some cash. That is why there is such profound guilt and why his wife may have reacted badly toward him when she finds out.

I don't know about Tony deliberately stopping, but if someone else wanted to get Tony to stop in that town it would be a feasible plan - knobble the battery / alternator prior to departure, follow them until they reach Challon-du-Bois outskirts, put in a phone call, he has to stop....

One of the intriguing aspects of The Missing is that it appears to be a very random chain events - car breaking down, going for a swim, scarf, address book in Charity shop 8 years later, neighbour's video etc, yet in other ways there seems to be an element of pre-planning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    He's there - Emily's dad confuses him (the son) for Ollie when he's dying.

Or.... Maybe he didn't confuse him. Maybe he knew he was Ollie...... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dachse wrote: »

I'm sure that in episode 1, when we saw the car in the garage and Tony asked how long it would take to fix it, the mechanic said a couple of days (possibly three). Bearing in mind that we now know that the alleged problem was simply a duff battery, why would it take this long?

At the time, I said to my OH that it seemed unlikely that a car only one year old had suddenly developed a fault serious enough to warrant a 2/3 day fix, especially as it had been driving apparently with no issues until Tony stopped to make the phone call.

Also, it can't be a case of taking that long to get hold of a new battery, as the car was a French manufactured one (Citroën?) being driven in France!!

Of course, it could simply have been that the garage was snowed under with jobs.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    openarms wrote: »
    01322..... That looks like Kent? Perhaps someone can confirm?
    fiagomez wrote: »
    yes it's dartford and kent surrounding areas- just looked it up :)

We only saw the first four digits on the sign (deliberately?) which were 0132, which makes it one of these possibilities

Dalchreichart, Inverness
    East Dean, Sussex
    Dartford, Kent
    Eastbourne, Sussex
    Falkirk, Stirling
    Darlington, Durham
    Falmouth, Cornwall
    Daventry, Northants
    Fakenham, Norfolk
    Fareham, Hants

Of course, it could be totally made up and nothing to do with the plot at all, in which case, sorry for waffling on! However, it if turns out to be significant, I shall return here in four and a half weeks time and crow! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or.... Maybe he didn't confuse him. Maybe he knew he was Ollie...... :o

Very true. So frustrating having to wait a week in between! When I watched episode 1 for some reason I thought it was on the next couple of nights too, then when I found out it was weekly I was like noooooooooo! Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We only saw the first four digits on the sign (deliberately?) which were 0132, which makes it one of these possibilities

Dalchreichart, Inverness
    East Dean, Sussex
    Dartford, Kent
    Eastbourne, Sussex
    Falkirk, Stirling
    Darlington, Durham
    Falmouth, Cornwall
    Daventry, Northants
    Fakenham, Norfolk
    Fareham, Hants

Of course, it could be totally made up and nothing to do with the plot at all, in which case, sorry for waffling on! However, it if turns out to be significant, I shall return here in four and a half weeks time and crow! :D

I remember when I first saw that scene how prominent the director had made the primary school sign in the shot. I felt the sign was a mockup of an imaginary school because of the nature of Bourg's character with the full telephone number left off for obvious reasons.

It definitely has a 22 at the end ( 35:19 mins on iplayer ).

The only explanation I can give is perhaps you have set your tv to overscan. You avoid aberrations in the broadcast picture ( usually at the top or bottom ) but sacrifice the edge detail as the whole picture is zoomed in a little. Could be worth looking at?
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    As someone else pointed out earlier, we still don't know who Tony was talking to on his mobile, when the car broke down. Its obviously something dodgy or he would not have got out the car to speak.

He obviously didn't want Emily hearing what was going on - dodgy business. :confused: