Is rioting ever justified?

Comments

• Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    I felt offended. Maybe I shouldn't have been.
    I have no idea of your age sorcha_healy27;75785473.
    May I suggest you look back at historic revolutions and how they began and won their effectiveness.
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you.
    But I do find your ignorance offensive myself.

I know full well about the events leading up to the fall of the berlin wall. My question was about the topic of this thread in relation to it. I find your patronising comments offensive tbh.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It happens simply because of people like you....

What's that awesome poem...

First they came for...

That saying doesn't make sense because the person they are coming for is the cop...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bloody stupid idea!!!
    Nobody would understand what they were shouting, and there'd be a counter demonstration within minutes demanding they be sent home (mind you - that would cause brilliant confusion :D)

While that would be hugely amusing I have no wish for my children to,live in such an uprising lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are people missing the fact that the people who are rioting are the racists?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How are people missing the fact that the people who are rioting are the racists?

Don't you know that black people can't possibly be racist?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I kind of have the feeling that most of the jury being black wouldn't be a defence to my guilty verdict.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know full well about the events leading up to the fall of the berlin wall. My question was about the topic of this thread in relation to it. I find your patronising comments offensive tbh.

I didn't mean to patronise you.
    Funny I've never felt patronised or offended by others comments. Can you just argue your point, without trying to be insulting so we can engage in an intelligent discussion please?
    This is thread does bear a totally relevant argument to the Berlin Wall if it continues as it has started. IMHO
    Where do you think the situation will end?
    I apologise for making you feel offended :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kind of have the feeling that most of the jury being black wouldn't be a defence to my guilty verdict.

Tbf most of the jury were white I think but I don't think this situation is anyway linked to racism. Imo the only people focusing on race here are black people.

To me it's a criminal unfortunately killed in self defence by a cop. Their races are irrelevant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That saying doesn't make sense because the person they are coming for is the cop...

God on a bike....

You have no idea do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't mean to patronise you.
    Funny I've never felt patronised or offended by others comments. Can you just argue your point, without trying to be insulting so we can engage in an intelligent discussion please?
    This is thread does bear a totally relevant argument to the Berlin Wall if it continues as it has started. IMHO
    Where do you think the situation will end?
    I apologise for making you feel offended :)

Thanks for your apology and I apologise if you felt insulted yourself. It wasn't my intention at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Error I'm a Suffolk born White girl.
    I'm just fair minded Imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your apology and I apologise if you felt insulted yourself. It wasn't my intention at all.

Thank you. You could never offend me :)
    I do like to debate.
    Never felt insulted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God on a bike....

You have no idea do you?

I don't know, do i?

Why don't you explain what you are so exasperated about?
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen right wingers. The reason that people are angry is nothing to do with racism or wanting a policeman to get the electric chair, or any of that nonsense. All that is standard lying deflection to hide the facts and the truth.

The reason people are angry is that a man was shot dead, it is known who did the killing, but there is to be no trial. This is compounded by that fact that the same thing happens quite often in the USA.
    These points that are being argued (the man attacked the policeman punching with his right hand while the policeman sat in his car and managed somehow to be hit on his right cheek, the man was shot when 105 feet away etc.) are things which should be argued about and decided at a trial.

Incidentally a couple of little statistics: having a grand jury is not US law, it is a state procedure, and only half the US states have grand juries. Secondly, in the last year that figures have ben released, there were 165000 cases considered by grand juries and in only 11 of them a trial was not ordered.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Listen right wingers. The reason that people are angry is nothing to do with racism or wanting a policeman to get the electric chair, or any of that nonsense. All that is standard lying deflection to hide the facts and the truth.
    And painting this as a right-left wing issue is poisoning the well, it isn't.
    Johnbee wrote: »
    These points that are being argued (the man attacked the policeman punching with his right hand while the policeman sat in his car and managed somehow to be hit on his right cheek, the man was shot when 105 feet away etc.) are things which should be argued about and decided at a trial.

(i) He was trying to defend himself through a car window against someone trying to punch him & take his gun, he would have exposed both sides of his face.

(ii) Brown was shot 20-30 feet away i.e. 6-10 metres.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, the guy COULD have totally been justified in shooting him. But the evidence being dicked around with, the witness statements being dicked around with, the body being left on the street, it's hardly surprising that people would rather see this go to trial than trust the word of the PD that did it.

I'm not making a judgment on the shooter, I'm making a judgment on the way this whole clusterf*** has been handled, and if I was a black guy in Missouri, I'd be f***ing angry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Thing is, the guy COULD have totally been justified in shooting him. But the evidence being dicked around with, the witness statements being dicked around with, the body being left on the street.

Wasn't that the purpose of the grand jury? I mean unless you think it was rigged and the jury were racists what is the problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't that the purpose of the grand jury? I mean unless you think it was rigged and the jury were racists what is the problem?

The fact that the prosecutor did most of the defence's job for them?

Basically, I don't believe the prosecutor went into that with the intention to make a case for prosecution. Which is, right or wrong, their job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that the prosecutor did most of the defence's job for them?

Basically, I don't believe the prosecutor went into that with the intention to make a case for prosecution. Which is, right or wrong, their job.

Was it a state prosecutor or private?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it a state prosecutor or private?

Does that matter? State, as it happens. But does that matter?

Essentially, they've voted to close the book on this. Do we know what the jury were voting AGAINST? I mean, the actual charge they'd have possibly wanted the guy to face.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does that matter? State, as it happens. But does that matter?

Essentially, they've voted to close the book on this. Do we know what the jury were voting AGAINST? I mean, the actual charge they'd have possibly wanted the guy to face.

If you were saying he jeopardized his own case i'd imagine whether or not he was a state attorney was pretty important, was he black? nevermind turns out he was and wasn't happy with the decision.

I would have thought it would be manslaughter.
  • BrianlionBrianlion Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting points raised by peter schroff:

Well it now appears that all the forensic evidence supports officer Wilson's version of events. The facts are that Michael Brown, a criminal who was resisting arrest, was shot while attempting to murder a police officer whom he had already physically assaulted. Had he survived his wounds, he would now be in a prison hospital facing charges for robbery, assault, resisting arrest, and attempted murder. But since you are an admitted racist, you only consider race, while ignoring the facts. The character of these two individuals means nothing to you. You support a thug simply because he is black, and condemn a police officer simply because he is white. I'm sure you will be so upset by these revelations that you will go beat up some more white boys in protest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3MyRCw_77I
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »

Not a riot. It was a legitimate protest which the soviets made violent.

Nobodies premises were not destroyed. There was no looting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There where riots when the Wall fell. In Eastern Berlin.
    Sorry Dave but there was riots and uprising.
    Ffs how do you think it happened?
    Nope. Sorry kid :p
    You're probably mixing it up with the 1987 riots when a series of concerts near The Wall went wrong, but the November 1989 opening of the border was peaceful (in fact the demonstrations for the prior 2 months were called the 'Peaceful Revolution').

Essentially one of the Politburo was supposed to announce relaxing of the border crossing rules at a meeting, and when he did he got it wrong because he hadn't been told how to handle it. People went to the border crossings and demanded to be let through. In the front of it all was the bloke who did the radio programme last week I mentioned. He'd heard the announcement and told his mates he'd phone from a bar on the other side, and they said 'yeah right'.

He argued with the guards (unthinkable only a few months before), and more people arrived. The guards didn't know what to do, and after a couple of hours just threw the border open.
    From that point people travelled freely, the next day they started dismantling The Wall.
    No members of Pink Floyd were injured. :D

Oh ... that bloke phoned from the bar, and they joined him the next day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since when did institutionalised racism extend to the general population?
    Whichever way you look at it ...
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`

It's been a while :D