Options

Happy Lancashire Day everyone!

Comments

• Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I know Rammy, lived there for a while !

Yep born and bred. Don't live far from there now.....can still see Peel Tower (or Holcombe Tower) from my window.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    I can understand that. A Lancashire accent is much softer than that harsh sounding lot o'er Pennines.

You should listen to my brother speak, he's lived over the hills for 35 years and has a really odd accent now! To my eternal shame, I was over there on sunday :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    You should listen to my brother speak, he's lived over the hills for 35 years and has a really odd accent now! To my eternal shame, I was over there on sunday :p

Traitor....mind you my brother lives in that god forsaken land too:o
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I can understand that. A Lancashire accent is much softer than that harsh sounding lot o'er Pennines.

:D:D

I wonder how many different accents we have in Lancashire? I can tell a huge difference in someone who lives just 5 miles away :o and its easy to recognise where folk live by hearing the different subtle differences in diction.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep born and bred. Don't live far from there now.....can still see Peel Tower (or Holcombe Tower) from my window.

I've been up there a few times.........once on a motorbike.......:D

I'm really from Bury but my parents moved up to Rammy just as I was leaving home

But I've always known Rammy.........used to ride our bikes down Peel brow (but not up it !)
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't think Yorkshire accent's harsh, different yes. Wonder if there are as many regional variations as there is in Lancashire - and Yorkshire's a much bigger area too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    :D:D

I wonder how many different accents we have in Lancashire? I can tell a huge difference in someone who lives just 5 miles away :o and its easy to recognise where folk live by hearing the different subtle differences in diction.

I think every town has its own accent, I can tell the difference too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Don't think Yorkshire accent's harsh, different yes. Wonder if there are as many regional variations as there is in Lancashire - and Yorkshire's a much bigger area too?

From my limited knowledge I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was how I was kept clean when I was at my gran and grandads. Tin bath in front of the open fire, and it used to spit too. Toilet was, naturally, outside, until when they got to their seventies and were given a grant to have an indoor bath and toilet put in - and. ye gods, central heating.

They were dead within 5 years. :(

As a young child we didn't have a bathroom and mum used to put me & my brothers in a tin bath in front of the fire, two at a time. God help us!

Then in the mid 60's we got a bathroom with inside toilet :D and bath:D. Mum & Dad thought they were lord and lady!

Still used the outside toilet though - that was our downstairs toilet;-)

Didn't get central heating til the 70's. Still remember waking up on a winters morning and there being frost on the inside of the window.

How the hell did we manage!????:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Bowton if someone from Farnworth is speaking quickly in their accent I sometimes can't work it out. That's about two stops on the train.

But that's simply variations on a theme. In Liverpool it's virtually a different language, never mind dialect. I presume that's an Irish influence from being a port? must look into that deeper, but I don't think Liverpudlians/Scousers have ever really considered themselves Lancashire, even thought our home ground was there when we won the County Championship? Anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a young child we didn't have a bathroom and mum used to put me & my brothers in a tin bath in front of the fire, two at a time. God help us!

Then in the mid 60's we got a bathroom with inside toilet :D and bath:D. Mum & Dad thought they were lord and lady!

Didn't get central heating til the 70's. Still remember waking up on a winters morning and there being frost on the inside of the window.

My Mum used to go mad at me because I would draw on the frosted window with my finger - my Gran had an outside lavvy complete with small squares of paper held together with string :o it was so drafty in that toilet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, yes, that was common, and we had sheets, not duvets or even electric blankets. We did have hot water bottles and iirc a kind of brick that was warmed in the fire (??). Think kids like to crawl in bed with their parents up until about, what, 5 or 6 (?) but in Lancashire we did it in our twenties just to keep warm :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    My Mum used to go mad at me because I would draw on the frosted window with my finger - my Gran had an outside lavvy complete with small squares of paper held together with string :o it was so drafty in that toilet.

News of the World it was.......ha
    ha
    ha
    ha
    !!!!!!!!
    (It really was at Grandad's!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Bowton if someone from Farnworth is speaking quickly in their accent I sometimes can't work it out. That's about two stops on the train.

But that's simply variations on a theme. In Liverpool it's virtually a different language, never mind dialect. I presume that's an Irish influence from being a port? must look into that deeper, but I don't think Liverpudlians/Scousers have ever really considered themselves Lancashire, even thought our home ground was there when we won the County Championship? Anyone?

Yes, I agree!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, yes, that was common, and we had sheets, not duvets or even electric blankets. We did have hot water bottles and iirc a kind of brick that was warmed in the fire (??). Think kids like to crawl in bed with their parents up until about, what, 5 or 6 (?) but in Lancashire we did it in our twenties just to keep warm :o

I remember we had some stone bottles that were that we used as hot water bottles......

this kind of thing.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GSm0LWj14N8/Thi2Wf3UOcI/AAAAAAAAHEQ/fZe5YayUEYk/s1600/S73F9808.JPG
  • Options
    Forum Member

On a serious note. The Yorkshire accent isn't harsh but a Lancashire accent is softer.

Of course the accent around Preston, Chorley & Lancaster is a bit posh me thinks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember we had some stone bottles that were that we used as hot water bottles......

this kind of thing.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GSm0LWj14N8/Thi2Wf3UOcI/AAAAAAAAHEQ/fZe5YayUEYk/s1600/S73F9808.JPG

What I'm thinking of is like a shiny, polished slab of granite or slate (?) which was kept next to the fire so one side was hot, then you put it into your bed as you got your pajamas on, then took it out as you got in. Perhaps memory's playing tricks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a serious note. The Yorkshire accent isn't harsh but a Lancashire accent is softer.

Of course the accent around Preston, Chorley & Lancaster is a bit posh me thinks.
    I would put the difference as like that between Belgian dutch (soft) and Nederland dutch (harder - not in a nasty way - just a harder edge, it's hard to explain or describe but you know what I mean)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

this kind of thing.....

Yes, we had those :D

I remember the terrible winter of 1962/3, very thick ice on the insides of the windows....brrrr.

As kids we used to collect coal from the steam engine sheds near to where we lived at the time...free fuel :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we had those :D

I remember the terrible winter of 1962/3, very thick ice on the insides of the windows....brrrr.

As kids we used to collect coal from the steam engine sheds near to where we lived at the time...free fuel :D

The coal men delivered with large sacks which often had holes in them so small lumps of coal fell through, so on delivery day hoards of kids would scour the back streets for droppings!
  • Options
    Forum Member

this kind of thing.....

Yes I remember those. Mum & Dad had one in their bed. However, she didn't trust us kiddies with one of them - thowt we'd break it. Therefore we got a new rubber hot water bottle wrapped in an old woolie and stuck at the bottom of the bed.

The bed was an old iron frame bed - which had apparently belonged to my grandma who died in 1948 (probably in it):o It was huge, stood feet off the floor. As a tiny one needed to be lifted into it.

Was big enough to sleep four of us...myself and my three brothers. The occupancy of grandma's bed dwindled over the years as one by one my parents managed to afford a bed for each of us - until one day we all had our own single bed and grandma's bed was carted off by the rag n' bone man.

Luxury!!:o A single bed to ourselves.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember as a child being fascinated by my very old great - uncles accent, he came from the same town as us, but his accent was far broader so maybe accents locally have softened more as time has passed.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    *raises champagne glass* :D
    Lambrini really but don't say nowt :p

Ecky Thump to one and all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I'm thinking of is like a shiny, polished slab of granite or slate (?) which was kept next to the fire so one side was hot, then you put it into your bed as you got your pajamas on, then took it out as you got in. Perhaps memory's playing tricks?

maybe you're thinking of a bed warming pan that would be metal and you'd put hot coals in it and warm up the bed before you got in

I don't remember ever having one but I know what they are so someone must have had one !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The coal men delivered with large sacks which often had holes in them so small lumps of coal fell through, so on delivery day hoards of kids would scour the back streets for droppings!

Good fun :D

We had flat wagons which we fitted sides to and made them like little trucks to gather surplus coal that came through the perimeter fence of the sheds coal heap :)