The Daily Mirror and Piers Morgan

Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If there is someone on here who works for the Daily Mirror (or who knows someone that does), could they please explain why their former editor is always referred to in their paper and TV magazine as "TV's Piers Morgan"?

Yes, I know he left in disgrace, but he is still the same person and it looks a bit silly considering that he is still involved in print journalism via his columns in the Mail on Sunday and is a regular contributor to GQ magazine.

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should think they are trying to distance themselves from him and hope nobody remembers how he helped to ruin the Mirror:D Similarly News International papers never recall he edited the News of the World for a while.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yes I think that is the reason. You should also note that The Sun doesn't like the fact that he used to edit The Bizarre column mentioned much nowadays!
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piers Morgan is a very good print journalist. To be one of the youngest ever editors of two national newspapers shows that he was highly regarded. His fall was brought about by a mistake over the torture pictures, which any editor could make in the desire for a scoop.

He asks very good questions on his Life Stories programme.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Piers Morgan is a very good print journalist. To be one of the youngest ever editors of two national newspapers shows that he was highly regarded. His fall was brought about by a mistake over the torture pictures, which any editor could make in the desire for a scoop.

He asks very good questions on his Life Stories programme.

Editors are paid lots of money to ensure they don't fall into such a trap.He was rightly sacked from the Mirror. He hardly had a distinguished career at the NOTW either.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Editors are paid lots of money to ensure they don't fall into such a trap.He was rightly sacked from the Mirror. He hardly had a distinguished career at the NOTW either.

I agree it was right to sack Piers Morgan as Mirror editor over the faked torture pictures. However, you should remember that the national newspaper market in the UK is the most competitive in the world. With any potential exclusive story there is always the risk that a competitor will get it. Sitting on a story while checks are made increases that risk. Sometimes it is best to publish and be damned.

If I set out to deceive you over something it could be very difficult to prove it was wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    mike1948 wrote: »

This is true, however you get the impression that his bosses would have been a bit more keen to support him through the fake pics scandal if The Mirror's circulation hadn't been in freefall.