British Rugby League Broadcasting Rights are up for grabs

Comments

• mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jewelleryq wrote: »
    All Wales' Home 6 Nations games were on the lastest proposed list of free to air sports events - which has yet to agreed. This is due to the uniquely high level of interest in International RU Games in Wales.

I know.

The new Coalition Government decided not to implement the Davies Committee recommendations and the current List remains in force.

The Government has said it will initiate a brand new review in 2013. Nothing is going to change until 2015 at the earliest.

And it's very possible that the next review will not recommend any changes in any case.
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,728
    Forum Member
    dids858 wrote: »
    ITV would have to show the final on ITV1 as I said before they could show the round matches on ITV4.

But would they have to show it on ITV1 after the DSO has finished?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    chrisfinch wrote: »

Even after DSO and even if ITV didn't have to broadcast the final on ITV I still believe they would broadcast it on ITV 1 anyway.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the sports that the BBC might have to drop to save money, I'd suggest that rugby league was least likely to be picked up by ITV, so discussion as to whether the Challenge Cup final would be on ITV1 or ITV4 is academic.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Am I not correct in saying that post switchover (DSO)
    Sky could effectively bid got the full exclusive coverage of any of the "Crown Jewels" and show them on any of their FTA/FTV channels (Sky 3, Channel 1, Sky3+1 Sky News or Challenge)

Regards,

Dan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »

Yes.

Unless ITV4 is available to 95% of the population and is certified by OFCOM as a qualifying channel to show listed events.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Sky could effectively bid got the full exclusive coverage of any of the "Crown Jewels" and show them on any of their FTA/FTV channels (Sky 3, Channel 1, Sky3+1 Sky News or Challenge)

Regards,

Dan

Only if the Sky channel was available to 95% of the population and was certified by OFCOM as a qualifying channel to show listed events.
  • tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I Cant see Sky losing the rights , their coverage is 2nd to none and the viewing figures support this , Hope they would show the early rounds of the Northern Rail Cup but it doesnt look like it at the moment

Lewis is just trying to bump up the money a bit they get
  • AdysgAdysg Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Of all the sports that the BBC might have to drop to save money, I'd suggest that rugby league was least likely to be picked up by ITV, so discussion as to whether the Challenge Cup final would be on ITV1 or ITV4 is academic.

Although i consider your opinion on football rights and attributed discussions valid arius - you, with this comment fall into the usual dispensary attitude ive seen conveyed on Rugby League throughout theese forums!

Why would ITV not bid or at least consider biding for a sport that regularly rates higher than the 15 man code on sky sports! And probably at a fraction of the price.
    ITV could test the water with Hilights rights, and when you put things into perspective... rights costs for 1 Champions League game, bought by ITV will total more for a seasons worth of Challenge Cup games currently held by the BBC!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I agree Adysg. ITV seem to want to expand the sports they cover on ITV4 & going back a couple of years, would we have thought ITV would be covering Cricket & probably doing a better job with their recent Ashes Highlights than BBC or Ch5
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I agree Adysg. ITV seem to want to expand the sports they cover on ITV4 & going back a couple of years, would we have thought ITV would be covering Cricket & probably doing a better job with their recent Ashes Highlights than BBC or Ch5

That is a ridiculous comment! ITV4's Ashes highlights were a smash together with a link on the end and on the front from Mark Nicholas. No analysis, insight nothing.

C5's highlights actually had some production values. Now if all you want is the former then all sports production companies may as well go home!
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tobysjug wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous comment! ITV4's Ashes highlights were a smash together with a link on the end and on the front from Mark Nicholas. No analysis, insight nothing.

I think that comment shows that for all the effort we put into making good television sometimes, a lot of viewers are only interested in the action.

Congratulations on your new job BTW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    As a mere viewer who likes cricket but does not subscribe to Sky, what I want from a highlights program is as much actual cricket as possible & that is what ITV4s Ashes highlights gave me. Sorry if that spoils the idea that sport production companies know what is best for us viewers
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

Regards,

Dan

Not any more on Channel One!
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not any more on Channel One!

Also, Sky3 is to be rebranded a fortnight today as "Pick TV"!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »
    ITV have had

The ITV Trophy played in 1955

Rugby League Live

Scrumdown

Rugby League Raw

Ford Rugby League Live.

Not all regions took these.

World of Sport used to show a few England/Great Britain games in the late 70s/early 80s, I seem to recall.

The way things are at the BBC, I can imagine them losing the Challenge Cup to maybe Sky & ITV in a joint bid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    And can the BBC afford to have no Rugby Union?

Do BBC still have Rugby Union Autumn International rights?
  • brianecclestonbrianeccleston Posts: 7,960
    Forum Member
    They signed new deals wih the Irish and Welsh unions last year for the autumn internationals till 2015 i think it was. They did a deal with the Scotish union as well but i think that was just for the one year.
    Forum Member
    Anyone heard anything else on this issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They signed new deals wih the Irish and Welsh unions last year for the autumn internationals till 2015 i think it was. They did a deal with the Scotish union as well but i think that was just for the one year.

Thanks Brian, I thought the BBC had Rugby Union other than 6 Nations?
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any more news? Just as an aside, I was a bit surprised that ESPN signed up Aussie rules and not NRL. I would have thought there would be more interest in the NRL in this country.
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    Any more news? Just as an aside, I was a bit surprised that ESPN signed up Aussie rules and not NRL. I would have thought there would be more interest in the NRL in this country.

I would have thought that, but ARL rights may be far cheaper than the NRL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »

But would ESPN be able to show 5 games a week like Premier Sports?
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    I would have thought that, but ARL rights may be far cheaper than the NRL.

I remember at the time that ESPN said they wanted to stick to AFL due to ESPN being associated with it for so long.

Would have been great if they picked up NRL as AFL is a joke!
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    I remember at the time that ESPN said they wanted to stick to AFL due to ESPN being associated with it for so long.

Would have been great if they picked up NRL as AFL is a joke!

That sounds like a poor reason from ESPN, but I suppose its there business.

NRL is far better, I can never seem to get into the ARL, its just isn't that exciting.