Cameron to block Brown bid for IMF job

LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13127225

Good!

We've had far too many failed politicians landing cushy non-jobs with international organisations. If I was Cameron I'd be saying "Over my dead body". My 5 year old niece would do a better job. She knows that if she has £1 to spend she cannot buy a £5 toy.

Comments

• JonPaulWildJonPaulWild Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's outrageous that GB think he's good enough for the IMF job.

I'd love to know what Ed Milliband thinks though. Maybe he can come out to support or not support GB in his desire to be head of the IMF? Come on Ed, where do you stand on this issue?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not let him be in the running for it? And what gives David Cameron the right to block anyone from the job, would he think the same if it had been another ex-Chancellor like John Major or Ken Clarke??

It may not make much difference what he thinks because it all comes down to a majority vote by the other members of the fund.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect there's more to this that we're not being told. Cameron may be citing Brown's debt denial as the reason not to appoint him but I'm sure it's far more political than that.

Anyway - no he shouldn't be appointed. Brown's never given any indication he can lead, learn or listen.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angelsbaby wrote: »
    Why not let him be in the running for it? And what gives David Cameron the right to block anyone from the job, would he think the same if it had been another ex-Chancellor like John Major or Ken Clarke??

It may not make much difference what he thinks because it all comes down to a majority vote by the other members of the fund.

From the BBC article:
    The IMF's executive board picks the body's managing director, with the world's larger economies having the most votes. In practice a candidate, who needs a majority of the vote to succeed, can effectively be vetoed by countries like the US, France and the UK.

The IMF also says it likes to choose its leader by consensus, which means the biggest nations should be in agreement before the appointment goes to the vote
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

GB is one reason as to why this country is totally screwed. He is in the running for it as that's why this issue has come up and rightfully so Cameron has come out and said 'no'.

It looks very bad on GB if the country in which he was PM is not supporting your bid to get this job.

GB as the head of teh IMF is a scary though. The man is a incompetent fool.

Has Ed Milliband come out and supported GB's bid yet?
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's outrageous that GB think he's good enough for the IMF job.

I'd love to know what Ed Milliband thinks though. Maybe he can come out to support or not support GB in his desire to be head of the IMF? Come on Ed, where do you stand on this issue?

he stands where the unions tell him to.:D

as for gordon brown in charge of the IMF - thats like putting an alchoholic in charge of a pub.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found some of Cameron's comments a bit on the personal side calling Gordon Brown a wah-up politician, the irony is that is what he too will be one day.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brown was promoted beyond his capabilities because of a deal done in a restaurant between him and Blair, surely the IMF know that? Much as I hate the idea of him walking into another job that he is unqualified for it's not quite as bad as appointing Blair as an Envoy to the Middle East, but it's still taking the piss.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most amusing and they talk about not rewarding failure, the IMF would be a laughing stock with Brown at the helm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think perhaps Gordon Brown may be viewed by some as a failure as PM but the same surely can't be said about his tenure as Chancellor.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I think perhaps Gordon Brown may be viewed by some as a failure as PM but the same surely can't be said about his tenure as Chancellor.

You want to bet! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think a great many view him as a failure full stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Most amusing and they talk about not rewarding failure, the IMF would be a laughing stock with Brown at the helm.

A tax free salary of £270,000 + limo + first class air travel is some reward for failure!
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, Cameron could come out of this looking quite bad.

If he doesn't veto the plan, then it's his acknowledgement that Brown is the best man for the job.

If he does veto the plan, and no other nation does, it will harm his credibility on the world stage.

V. interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, Cameron could come out of this looking quite bad.

If he doesn't veto the plan, then it's his acknowledgement that Brown is the best man for the job.

If he does veto the plan, and no other nation does, it will harm his credibility on the world stage.

V. interesting.

Can you see that happening? Given what I've read on Wikileaks, GB's international reputation isn't anything like what it was once cracked up to be...
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Can you see that happening? Given what I've read on Wikileaks, GB's international reputation isn't anything like what it was once cracked up to be...

GB saved a lot of banks from going under; whatever people think of him, politicians and their paymasters will ensure that he's rewarded. This is where Cameron might get his introduction into 'real' politics i.e. not the politics of democracy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does Ed stand on this issue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    A tax free salary of £270,000 + limo + first class air travel is some reward for failure!

Well Brown couldn't even accept it then as he was a great supporter of paying your fair share of tax. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Easy solution to that. Get the French on board by proposing another French candidate: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1377432/Britain-French-finance-minister-Lagarde-woman-IMF-chief.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where does Ed stand on this issue?

Probably the same as on everything else, he has a blank sheet of paper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB saved a lot of banks from going under; whatever people think of him, politicians and their paymasters will ensure that he's rewarded. This is where Cameron might get his introduction into 'real' politics i.e. not the politics of democracy.

Maybe. Then again, maybe he's too toxic for anyone to be associated with. If he is appointed because of the banks (I presume that's what you mean by "paymasters") his toxicity will be ascending to a whole new level.

Surely other international politicians are more likely to need a good working relationship with Cameron than they are Brown?
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 5 year old niece would do a better job. She knows that if she has £1 to spend she cannot buy a £5 toy.

And would your young relative know how to put together a loan offer for a country in financial difficulty ? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    And would your young relative know how to put together a loan offer for a country in financial difficulty ? :rolleyes:

But then again Brown's experience is all about getting loans not offering them. :D
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easy solution to that. Get the French on board by proposing another French candidate: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1377432/Britain-French-finance-minister-Lagarde-woman-IMF-chief.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    That's who I was thinking of as an alternative, mind you she's probably the only overseas finance minister I could name.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13127225

My 5 year old niece would do a better job. She knows that if she has £1 to spend she cannot buy a £5 toy.

It's a pity more adults had not been as astute as your 5 year old niece, if they had the Countries personal debt would not be as high as it is.