Dragon Den's Hilary Devey, born in 1957?????

Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My ar*e. She's at least 70, with a stack of facial surgery, and a tasty line in wigs.

Just watching on BBC2, and I nearly choked on my mince pie when the voiceover said she was born in 1957.

Comments

• 93_ZJ93_ZJ Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    She's a heavy smoker (40 per day by her own admission) who had a stroke in 2009. Add in the stress of building and running a major business, being divorced twice, and having a son who is a heroin addict, and all that can conspire to make you look a lot older than you actually are.

I certainly know people in their 50s who look much older, mainly because they smoke heavily and have stressful jobs or personal lives. Hell, more than a few of my Facebook friends with whom I went to school look like they're well into their 50s or even 60s, and we're all actually 40.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    You do know she was seriously ill and suffered a stroke which affected her face?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She also wears the wigs because she has alopecia. The Daily Mirror 'exposed' her use of them and she went public about her medical condition at the time.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    You do know she was seriously ill and suffered a stroke which affected her face?

Sure, but it's the facelift that's unbelievable. I don't understand your point:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also wears the wigs because she has alopecia.

It's perfectly normal for women in their 70s to have alopecia. My mum wore wigs when she was pregnant and lost her hair, in the 1960s. My issue is her denial of her true age.
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    My issue is her denial of her true age.
    So you think it's impossible for the physical and psychological stresses she has been through to make her look much older than she is? Did you actually read my previous post, which is the one directly after your original? If it's possible for people who are 40 to look like they're in their 50s or 60s due to their lifestyle, it's perfectly possible for someone who's 54 to look 70 (which I don't think she does).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's perfectly normal for women in their 70s to have alopecia. My mum wore wigs when she was pregnant and lost her hair, in the 1960s. My issue is her denial of her true age.

Ok you keep thinking she is 70 then. Makes her business achievement all the more impressive considering she would have started it aged 55. Oh and giving birth to her son after age 50 too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    93_ZJ wrote: »
    Did you actually read my previous post, which is the one directly after your original?

A little insecure, aren't we?
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    93_ZJ wrote: »
    So you think it's impossible for the physical and psychological stresses she has been through to make her look much older than she is? Did you actually read my previous post, which is the one directly after your original? If it's possible for people who are 40 to look like they're in their 50s or 60s due to their lifestyle, it's perfectly possible for someone who's 54 to look 70 (which I don't think she does).

I agree with you, she has had some serious health issues.

I also watched her on Secret Millionaire, seems a nice woman who works hard and deserves her success.
    Forum Member
    A little insecure, aren't we?
    Isn't it more the case that you prefer to simply ignore facts that contradict what you personally want to believe?

If you really are a mum of three, I bet you look a lot older than you actually are, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok you keep thinking she is 70 then. Makes her business achievement all the more impressive considering she would have started it aged 55. Oh and giving birth to her son after age 50 too.

Just a gentle reminder that Hilary is presenting her own version of her life story, in which the truth appears to be rather varnished. The numbers just don't stack up, and it's making my foot itch.

Manipulation of her appearance, and her story, is second nature to her.

None of my comments relate to her business success. She's almost done as well as me ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a gentle reminder that Hilary is presenting her own version of her life story, in which the truth appears to be rather varnished. The numbers just don't stack up, and it's making my foot itch.

This isn't the only time she has told her life story on TV. She was on Secret Millionaire a good three or four years before she begun her stint on Dragons Den. And she told her story there too. Her son, a teenager at the time, had a bad drug addiction. He was in the documentary too. But perhaps it was an actor. Or maybe he is really 34.
    Forum Member
    I don't understand your point:confused:

Clearly.

If you had a family member or someone close to you, whose facial muscles were paralysed after suffering a stroke, then you might understand a lot more than my point in that post.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Manipulation of her appearance, and her story, is second nature to her.

None of my comments relate to her business success. She's almost done as well as me ;)

have you come across hilary personally and have an axe to grind?
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ar*e. She's at least 70, with a stack of facial surgery, and a tasty line in wigs.

Just watching on BBC2, and I nearly choked on my mince pie when the voiceover said she was born in 1957.

With such a belittling attitude like yours, I almost wish you had choked on your mince pie.
    Who gives a bloody toss about wigs or facelifts or age?
    What the frig's it gotta do with you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Clearly.

If you had a family member or someone close to you, whose facial muscles were paralysed after suffering a stroke, then you might understand a lot more than my point in that post.

My father in law had bell's palsy, and opted out of our wedding photos for that precise reason. But it has nothing to do with my comment on Hilary's facelifts.

Are you suggesting that Hilary had a stack of facelifts to address her facial appearance following a stroke? If that's the case, then fair enough, but boy, the surgeon was heavy-handed.
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My father in law had bell's palsy, and opted out of our wedding photos for that precise reason. But it has nothing to do with my comment on Hilary's facelifts.

Are you suggesting that Hilary had a stack of facelifts to address her facial appearance following a stroke? If that's the case, then fair enough, but boy, the surgeon was heavy-handed.

The way you're going on, I wouldn't be surprised if the poor guy was forced to 'opt-out'.
    Forum Member
    No,I'm not suggesting anything as I don't know the woman.
    I have read that she embarked on surgery prior to her stroke, however, I also know that surgeons, good or bad, aren't miracle workers and can only do so much with the natural materials that are there to work with, following a stroke, things can be very difficult indeed.

I just find it exceptionally rude and uncaring to make such personal remarks about anyone and certainly had no 'opting out' of our wedding photos for fear of spoiling their appearance, or any other reason. Family are family and guests are guests, no question.
    No one would have dreamt of it.

Goodnight.
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1957 looks about right to me.
    I was born in 1967 and she looks ten years older than me and much more knackered.
    No mystery.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a fantastically strong woman and astute businesswoman. That's all.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember about 9 or 10 years ago when Chris 'Stalker' Walker, the bike racer had Bell's Palsy
    and at first his speech was quite badly affected because the left side of his face seemed to not move
    at all but it's not quite so bad now as you can see in this clip, when he talks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3rDmgiXrFg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure why it would matter if Hillary Devey was older than she suggested -- just take Coco Chanel - she was somewhat penurious with her true age, but was still very famous. But in this case, I believe she is the age she says she is.

From what I've read, Hillary has a particularly rough story and I think it's great she can go out there despite comments like these about her wigs/appearance in general. Unless you're planning to date her, I'm not sure why it matters what she looks like anyway...
  • DJ SlipmattDJ Slipmatt Posts: 174
    Forum Member

IMO Hilary has come along and injected some life into a format that was getting quite staid and predictable. She has made a massive impression in one series so much so that he has leaped head and "shoulders" to be my favourite dragon and made it must watch TV again.

I think you may find that many other people think the same. I would also like Duncan and Deborah to be replaced sooner rather than later.

I'm actually unsure why Duncan is still on there because he never seems to invest in anything!

Anyway OP - your post just about sums up everything that Internet forums promote. Insecure, angry, bitter and jealous people that appear to have no happiness and joy in life so post hateful and offensive messages on the internet to attract other people as emotionally bankrupt as yourself and get a pat on the back - thus reaffirming your tasteless and bigoted, small minded views.

I hope that you have received the reinforcement that you were seeking on this board.

A tip for the future. By all means slag someone off who appears on TV. Anyone that is happy to appear on TV is fair game in my book. But perhaps choose someone who has done something stupid, nasty, mean or arrogant.

Also check facts before disagreeing and disregarding what you are being told. I have heard Google is quite a good search tool.

People like you make my foot itch!!
  • DJ SlipmattDJ Slipmatt Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 - No wonder this country is in such a mess when ignorant and angry people like you are even allowed to have 3 children!

Sheesh - if the mother is like that I despair for the kids and society as a whole...
  • vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd still do her...

(But as the old saying goes: You don't look at the mantlepiece when you are poking the fire...)

:D

Of course, I am joking. I think she's a great personality and it is a shame that she's had so many problems. It seems the harder you work, the more crap you have heaped on you.