Options

Tony Blair: "I would be prime minister again"

Comments

• Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    That's another Blair crime, taking a really good song and making it impossible to listen too ever again.

No it wasn't - it was cringeworthy from the start.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....like those who supported his and Bush's Iraq war at the time, Martin?;)

Quite. Those Labour supporters who hated the war and Blair and still voted for him in 2005 should really hang their heads in shame.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could actually put up with Blair back again - as long as he doesn't bring along Calamity Brown. :(
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    A really good song? :eek:

It sounded better before Labour honestly, it has Brian Cox playing drums or something like that. Your judgement is clouded by Blair and Prescott linking hands and celebrating their victory to it. I can never get that image out of my mind. :D
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    It sounded better before Labour honestly, it has Brian Cox playing drums or something like that.

He was lying on his keyboards................but unbeknownst to the other bandmembers he was looking at the stars.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    # things can only get better! #

Come on, I am sure plenty of people here voted for him in 1997, 2001 and 2005... you love him really :)

In an election, you don't vote for a leader, you vote for a party.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Tony Blair says he would like to be PM again

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jun/27/tony-blair-prime-minister-again?newsfeed=true

I can just hear the rejoicing in the streets!

Gawd help us !
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, a thread where everyone agrees in the politics section. :eek:
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curious. I would have expected him to say no. He does seem genuinely interested in getting back into politics. I wonder what he is up to.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Tony was a terrific PM.............:p

The Peoples Prime Minister
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People would wish to pretend Blair is unelectable today just as they pretended he was unelectable in 2005
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curious. I would have expected him to say no. He does seem genuinely interested in getting back into politics. I wonder what he is up to.

he probably wants to ensure those lovely tax loopholes are not closed.;)
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Ere. Wouldn't he have to renounce his newly proclaimed Catholic faith to be Prime Minister?

I think we'd be safe. :D
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does seem genuinely interested in getting back into politics. I wonder what he is up to.

I think he believes in public service and that he would be good for the nation
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those explosions were the sound of people shooting themselves all over Britain - beginning with Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he probably wants to ensure those lovely tax loopholes are not closed.;)

Maybe Cherie's running short of Polish plumbers for their property portfolio and wants to make sure nobody shuts the borders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of the many things you could say about Blair, one of them isn't that his government was a shambles. Unpopular? Yes. Made poor decisions? Yes. But looking at how the two administrations post Blair have both struggled to find their own arse and elbow, Blair's premiership in at least that regard was much more satisfactory.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    'Ere. Wouldn't he have to renounce his newly proclaimed Catholic faith to be Prime Minister?

I think we'd be safe. :D

Is that really still the law?

Jeez, we really are a backward country aren't we?
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Tony Blair says he would like to be PM again

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jun/27/tony-blair-prime-minister-again?newsfeed=true

I can just hear the rejoicing in the streets!

What is the semantic difference between the following phrases:

a) I would be PM again?

b) I would like to be PM again?

Answers on a postcard to Michael Gove marked "O Level English Comprehension"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two most unpopular PMs are Thatcher and Blair.

Do we think it's merely a remarkable coincidence both were historically very close together or possibly that we're too over dramatic and volatile in our opinions these days?

Major, Brown and as yet Cameron were never the 'force' Blair or Thatcher were. The next PM to be in that same category will get every bit as much 'hate' as those two.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Of the many things you could say about Blair, one of them isn't that his government was a shambles. Unpopular? Yes. Made poor decisions? Yes. But looking at how the two administrations post Blair have both struggled to find their own arse and elbow, Blair's premiership in at least that regard was much more satisfactory.

Quite.

(And the one before it, it must be said).

No fan of Blair, be to be honest if it hadn't been for Iraq my view on him would be neutral, probably slightly above that actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps he senses a war brewing in the Middle East and doesn't want us to miss out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps he senses a war brewing in the Middle East and doesn't want us to miss out

I can't understand this. Do you really think the Tory party or any other front bencher of either main party if in the same position would not have joined the US in both wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Blair in many ways was merely the suit in a seat in these decisions. If Hague won in 2001 he'd have been every bit 'shoulder to shoulder' with the US. In fact being a Conservative he'd have likely been closer to the Republican administration of Bush as Blair was.

So this idea Blair was the man who 'changed the course of history' on this matter is a bit dubious. We shouldn't pretend ANY politician of contention in either party would have done anything at all differently.

If Blair stepped down in summer of 2001, we'd still have gone into Afghanistan and Iraq. This need to create a 'bogie man' character to rail against is transparant and tiring at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    And yet despite that he's still far better than the bunch of incompetents leading the three main parties just now.

I wouldn't want him back, but if the only alternative was these three I certainly would, even taking the Iraq thing into account.

Me too. I can't believe I just said that as I can't stand him! :eek:
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad thing is, is that the sad Brits will still vote him in despite the mess he and his party got this country into...