Options

Abbott for London Mayor

LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
Forum Member
✭✭✭
'Diane Abbott is Labour supporters' top choice to run for London Mayor,' new poll reveals

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/diane-abbott-is-labour-supporters-top-choice-to-run-for-london-mayor-poll-reveals-9556192.html

That news might just encourage Boris Johnson to run again. Not only would a Boris vs Diane election be a wonderful gaffe-tastic event, but he would be sure to win. Tessa Jowell may not be the most exciting politician but at least she would be a reasonable candidate, is less likely to turn voters off and won admirers on all sides over the work she did with the Olympics.

Comments

• Options
    Mr MoritzMr Moritz Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the worst choice possible, the woman is a hypocrite and viewed as a bounty bar by some :D
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have though Ed might have come out as top choice from Labour Supporters.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather depressing, actually.

I don't want Boris back, but I want a credible alternative. The prospect of that ghastly woman as London mayor is too awful to contemplate, not that there is the faintest chance of her winning.

Jowell is dull but worthy, which is about the best to hope for given the dearth of decent larger-than-life characters available.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile 30% (almost twice as many as voted for Abbot) said none of these and ano 30% said don't know.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Rather depressing, actually.

I don't want Boris back, but I want a credible alternative. The prospect of that ghastly woman as London mayor is too awful to contemplate, not that there is the faintest chance of her winning.

Jowell is dull but worthy, which is about the best to hope for given the dearth of decent larger-than-life characters available.

She is also so stupid that she signed forms without reading them and without realising that they were mortgage forms.

In real life, Mills and Jowell announced they would separate on 4 March 2006. Seven days earlier it had been alleged that Mills had remortgaged one of the couple's family homes in 2000 and paid the bulk of the £408,000 loan off exceptionally quickly with money (£350,000) given as a gift. This money, it was alleged, had been paid for helping his client, the Italian prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi.

Jowell was implicated because she had signed the papers – reportedly distracted since the household chore was put under her nose during a busy Labour party conference – without seeking to understand why her husband wanted it or planned to repay it.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/feb/17/jowell-mills-berlusconi-background
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which just shows the lack of talent available for a credible and popular Labour candidate to be available.

I'm sure the Labour leadership will want Jowell as she is a party loyalist and won't rock the boat. I suppose any other candidate will wait to see what the result of the general election is before deciding on whether to stand.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as a 'Labour supporter' I decided to consult my trusty 'give-a-toss-ometer' as to who I think should get the gig,
    The result seems to indicate that either my trusty 'give-a-toss-ometer' is broken or is actually registering a big fat zero,
    I think that for myself and the millions of other people (regardless of political alignment) who live outside of 'that Lodnon' it's not broken 'give-a-toss-ometers' that are keeping the needle on '0' and the device's are working fine.

;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well as a 'Labour supporter' I decided to consult my trusty 'give-a-toss-ometer' as to who I think should get the gig,
    The result seems to indicate that either my trusty 'give-a-toss-ometer' is broken or is actually registering a big fat zero,
    I think that for myself and the millions of other people (regardless of political alignment) who live outside of 'that Lodnon' it's not broken 'give-a-toss-ometers' that are keeping the needle on '0' and the device's are working fine.

;-)

Like you OHG due to where I live I am not concerned as to who becomes mayor of London, and, for that matter who becomes the mayor of the town where I live!!

By the way where can I buy a 'give-a-toss-ometer' ??
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps Labour should try and entice that nice Mrs Yasmin Alibhah Brown to stand after all there seemed to be quite a few of the usual suspects on here supporting her the other day.

And she does subscribe to the usual Labour values of racist name calling (despite being a self admitted racist herself - see Fabricant thread for details) and hypocrisy (see just about any article she writes)
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member

;-)
    You give enough of a toss to make sure that everyone knows you don't give a toss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Like you OHG due to where I live I am not concerned as to who becomes mayor of London, and, for that matter who becomes the mayor of the town where I live!!

I don't have a vote either an the result doesn't affect me but I am interested in who gets the job. It is a very important and powerful position and is arguably one of the most visible political jobs in the country. More people will be able to name the mayor than most Cabinet positions. In fact, the only person in Europe with more direct votes than the Mayor of London is the President of France
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Tessa Jowell may not be the most exciting politician but at least she would be a reasonable candidate, is less likely to turn voters off and won admirers on all sides over the work she did with the Olympics.

I would rather vote for Diane Abbott than Tessa Jowell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a vote either an the result doesn't affect me but I am interested in who gets the job. It is a very important and powerful position and is arguably one of the most visible political jobs in the country. More people will be able to name the mayor than most Cabinet positions. In fact, the only person in Europe with more direct votes than the Mayor of London is the President of France

I think what I am trying to say is how will who becomes Mayor of London affect people who live oop North??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

;-)

Considering how much dosh London exports to the rest of the country to keep it (just) afloat I would suggest it is very much in your interest who is running the show here.

;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what I am trying to say is how will who becomes Mayor of London affect people who live oop North??

It won't. But it will still be fun to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather vote for Diane Abbott than Tessa Jowell.

Draw the curtains. If you haven't got an ice pack, a damp towel will suffice. Turn off the light and lie motionless for a few hours.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't. But it will still be fun to watch.

Very True, but, even more fun if Diane Abbott is elected...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    You give enough of a toss to make sure that everyone knows you don't give a toss.

Yip indeedy, it's called having an opinion and exercising one's right to express that opinion, I do hope that's OK with you,
    However, I DID consult my trusty give-a-toss-ometer just incase you don't agree that I have an equal right to give an opinion, just to see how I should feel about your opinion either way, and guess what it registered?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering how much dosh London exports to the rest of the country to keep it (just) afloat I would suggest it is very much in your interest who is running the show here.

;-)

No, I assure you, I have even double checked with my brand new could-I-care-less-ometer, and the result was a resounding '"NO"
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I think if she were to win she could keep labour out of government for some time to come.

these polls are not very useful. people are being asked to decide when they don't know anything about the candidates so the one that gets the most votes is usually the most famous. she would probably get the most votes for who do you not want to be the labour candidate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By the way where can I buy a 'give-a-toss-ometer' ??

They are actually illegal to own, but then, I don't give a.....
    ;-)
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yip indeedy, it's called having an opinion and exercising one's right to express that opinion, I do hope that's OK with you,
    However, I DID consult my trusty give-a-toss-ometer just incase you don't agree that I have an equal right to give an opinion, just to see how I should feel about your opinion either way, and guess what it registered?

Actually the only "opinion" you expressed was the fact that you don't have an "opinion" which in my "opinion" is a bit of a waste of an "opinion".

Not that I would object to your right not to have an "opinion" of course. :p
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Where have I challenged your right to have and express an opinion? Oh yeah, that's right - nowhere. If you're going to respond to my posts, at least do me the courtesy of reading them first.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    :o This is a very disturbing turn of events.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this just proves the nonsense of a directly elected Mayor for London. You need to be a 'name' to have a chance of succeeding in the primary here. The Ken Livingston who took over the leadership of the GLC in the early eighties wouldn't have got anywhere near its latter day equivalent today.

Abbott would be like Johnson, someone in charge because they like being Mayor, rather than wanting to be make changes that make a real difference in the areas they actually control such as transport. What's Johnson done other than (a) foisting an expensive new bus design (and one that needs conductors) on to Londoners or (b) implementing Livingston ideas such as the so-called 'Boris' bikes.