TV warranty?

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,108
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I got my TV from curry's I got a warranty which is 9.50 a month. I'm just wondering if its worth it since I get 12 month anyway. Have read a lot of bad reviews of know how who I think is where it comes from. Is there anyone out there who has had positive experience with them?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    When I got my TV from curry's I got a warranty which is 9.50 a month. I'm just wondering if its worth it since I get 12 month anyway. Have read a lot of bad reviews of know how who I think is where it comes from. Is there anyone out there who has had positive experience with them?

Extended warranties from Currys are notoriously poor value, they try hard to sell them to you because they make a LOT of profit from it.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I know it is too late now but if you had got it from John Lewis you would have 5yr, even Aldi do 3yr.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Want to cancel it but without having to phone. anyone that's done it knows you're on about 1hr listening to them tell you how much of a mistake it would be not to have cover and how expensive it would be to fix.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extended warranties from Currys are notoriously poor value, they try hard to sell them to you because they make a LOT of profit from it.

Apart from John Lewis - who offer 5 years as standard - would you care to qualify that statement?

Last time I looked Currys warranties were pretty much the same price as the "independent" alternatives from the likes of D&G. At least DSG's warranties are insurance backed so if they go out of business the warranty is still valid - unlike those of Richer Sounds which aren't insurance backed and therefore leave customers exposed if the company goes under.

Whether the £90 paid by the OP is good value or not probably depends on a few factors - which we don't know - how long this is for, what set it is for etc. If it gives 5 years cover on a £ 1000 tv - I'd argue it's probably pretty good value. If it's against a £ 100 set then less so.
    Forum Member
    AlanO wrote: »
    Apart from John Lewis - who offer 5 years as standard - would you care to qualify that statement?

I suggest you try actually READING the post you quoted :p

When you'll see your comment makes no sense :D

Last time I looked Currys warranties were pretty much the same price as the "independent" alternatives from the likes of D&G.

I was under the impression that they were more expensive?, but I can't say I've compared them for a number of years.

At least DSG's warranties are insurance backed so if they go out of business the warranty is still valid - unlike those of Richer Sounds which aren't insurance backed and therefore leave customers exposed if the company goes under.

Be careful, you get attacked here if you ever mention that :D

However, in DSG's favour, at least they have service facilities, which neither JL or RS do.

Whether the £90 paid by the OP is good value or not probably depends on a few factors - which we don't know - how long this is for, what set it is for etc. If it gives 5 years cover on a £ 1000 tv - I'd argue it's probably pretty good value. If it's against a £ 100 set then less so.

Presumably (from the way he said it), it's ongoing until you cancel it?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Last time I looked Currys warranties were pretty much the same price as the "independent" alternatives from the likes of D&G. At least DSG's warranties are insurance backed so if they go out of business the warranty is still valid - unlike those of Richer Sounds which aren't insurance backed and therefore leave customers exposed if the company goes under.

Its 9.50 a month or 224 for 3 years or 324 for 5. TV is Sony w905. 55".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you try actually READING the post you quoted :p

When you'll see your comment makes no sense :D

It was your contention that they are poor value I was challenging - whether they make money from them is academic. I cited John Lewis because they are pretty much the only place that offers a 5 year warranty on any TV - others tend to have promotional offers with 5 years, but not consistently. However, John Lewis stock a relatively limited range, and there was some debate recently whether they would honour price matches where the cheaper store didn't offer a 5 year warranty.

Furthermore, although the web has changed things a bit, John Lewis operate out of fewer than 100 stores, so don't really have "national" coverage.
    I was under the impression that they were more expensive?, but I can't say I've compared them for a number of years.

The last one I checked was a washer / dryer and I seem to recall DSG were cheaper than D&G and had better coverage i.e. accidental damage and new for old.
    Be careful, you get attacked here if you ever mention that :D
    Yes, I know. Richer Sounds seem to be beyond criticism on these boards, even when you're pointing out fact - as you should know !
    However, in DSG's favour, at least they have service facilities, which neither JL or RS do.
    And every other 'multiple' retailer. It's only the independents who offer sales and service that can offer something similar.
    Presumably (from the way he said it), it's ongoing until you cancel it?.

I think the OP has qualified it a bit now.

In terms of whether it's worth it given the additional facts, depends on your view of risk. If the warranty covers accidental damage and you have kids running around or using a WII with the set, then I'd say it might well be worth it..... particularly as it doesn't then mean trying to claim on your house insurance and taking a premium hike the following year.
    Forum Member
    Its 9.50 a month or 224 for 3 years or 324 for 5. TV is Sony w905. 55".

If you'd bought from a Sony dealer it would have come with an included 5 year manufacturers warranty!.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got warranty in April when got tv. The sales guy did say I can cancel at any time.

Yes you can.
    This is from the T&Cs http://postimg.org/image/5ym54dkfx/

The site won't let me copy and paste
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In terms of whether it's worth it given the additional facts, depends on your view of risk. If the warranty covers accidental damage and you have kids running around or using a WII with the set, then I'd say it might well be worth it..... particularly as it doesn't then mean trying to claim on your house insurance and taking a premium hike the following year.

Don't have kids so no danger there.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do JL and RS do with a faulty TV that's beyond the age of an obvious replacement?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    What do JL and RS do with a faulty TV that's beyond the age of an obvious replacement?

All their repairs are outsourced - as do Argos. There are various 'service' companies that do the work.

Problem tends to start when there are delays in getting parts or the set needs to be written off because it costs too much to repair / parts no longer available.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    You'd probably be better off putting that £9.50 a month into a savings account.
    Obviously it's a risk to take after the initial warranty period has ended, but in most cases (well at least in my experience) a new TV should last at the least 5 years if not a lot more which in that time you've saved up enough to buy a new one if necessary.
    Forum Member
    All their repairs are outsourced - as do Argos. There are various 'service' companies that do the work.

Both seem to use local facilities, some which are quite small, it's not like they use a nationally based group or anything. You hear bad stories about both, but particularly with RS, who keep a VERY strict control of how much they will pay (but I won't say any more, due to the usual pro-RS attackers :D).
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    You'd probably be better off putting that £9.50 a month into a savings account.
    Obviously it's a risk to take after the initial warranty period has ended, but in most cases (well at least in my experience) a new TV should last at the least 5 years if not a lot more which in that time you've saved up enough to buy a new one if necessary.

Most TVs will easily last out the five years. I agree about the savings account -- extended warranties are a "nice to have" rather than a necessity. I'll take it if it's going free, but if it isn't, I won't lose sleep over it.

I don't remember the last time I had an extended warranty on something I actually had to claim on -- IME electrical items either fail quickly, or they die of old age -- at which point they're usually obsolete anyway.

There have, however, been two occasions in the last 10 years or so when something has failed after the warranty period is over (but under 3 years old), where I have contacted the manufacturer and they've offered to repair or replace anyway. Sandisk (a division of Sony -- MP3 player) and Toshiba (DVD recorder).

I also managed to get a full refund from Tesco for a fryer with a glass panel that cracked at 18 months old, by throwing the SOGA and Trading Standards at them... but I think they realised they were on a hiding to nothing with that one.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Both seem to use local facilities, some which are quite small, it's not like they use a nationally based group or anything. You hear bad stories about both, but particularly with RS, who keep a VERY strict control of how much they will pay (but I won't say any more, due to the usual pro-RS attackers :D).

So you're not 100% sure?

RS use Genserve for all Onkyo repairs and servicing, they are the only authorised service center for Onkyo in the UK.

It's also not unheard of that they will use authorised Denon/Pioneer/Optoma service centers.

Don't let the above fudge you view that an extended warranty that is not manufacture based is a poor mans alternative. :p
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Don't let the above fudge you view that an extended warranty that is not manufacture based is a poor mans alternative. :p

He's just irate that a competitor can offer 'free' five year warranties, and still undercut Euronics :D
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    Sandisk (a division of Sony -- MP3 player)

Sandisk are not related to Sony
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never buy a TV from Currys ever again.

Last TV I bought from them developed a fault after 7 months, TV kept going into standby after a few minutes. I returned it to them to be repaired. After 3 weeks I got the TV back with a repair notice claiming fault fixed, anyway to cut a long story short it was exactly the same as it was before with the fault.
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    I'd never buy a TV from Currys ever again.

Last TV I bought from them developed a fault after 7 months, TV kept going into standby after a few minutes. I returned it to them to be repaired. After 3 weeks I got the TV back with a repair notice claiming fault fixed, anyway to cut a long story short it was exactly the same as it was before with the fault.

Common feature of any so-called repair centre, frankly.

You pay monkeys £7.50 an hour, this is what you get. Monkey replaces part, does the minimum possible testing, clears item as fixed.

Usually with screws missing and parts not correctly reassembled for good measure.

Most of the independents are no better. I had an amplifier several years ago which had what I believed to be a dry solder joint somewhere on the fascia board that meant that the display would go dark intermittently. I'd worked out that if I shoved a bit of card in a strategic point, the display became more reliable, but as I had not been able to find the problem (and the amp was worth quite a bit), I'd give a local repair company a go.

Comes back a week later with, you guessed it, a bit of card shoved in the same place I'd put one in as a temporary 'fix'. £65 lighter.

Waste of space, most repair 'technicians'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my tv becomes faulty what's to stop me getting a warranty then after a month or however long you have to wait and ring up about my tv. They wouldn't know how long its been faulty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    My brother once bought a £45 portable TV from Tempo (remember them?) and they tried to sell him an extended warranty costing £30 :-)
    Forum Member
    If my tv becomes faulty what's to stop me getting a warranty then after a month or however long you have to wait and ring up about my tv. They wouldn't know how long its been faulty.

That's called fraud! :p