• Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Agnetha lives on an island not far from Stockholm
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    It's about £7 for a cup of coffee in a café.

Its a lot less than that usually, plus you often get free refills in many cafes.
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Russians gave aid to Denmark for their war against Sweden in the Middle Ages...
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No lap dancing clubs.

Not true there are 4 in Stockholm ;-)

http://www.stansreviews.com/strip-clubs-stockholm-53
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    A wonderful country of vast forests and lakes.... lots of space,
    lots of blonde women... a laid back way of life.

You d think it would be a prime retirement destination for 50 somethings who have
    made their money in the UK and want to retire to the peace and quiet of Sweden
    .... well away from the traffic and hassle of London

I doubt it, by 2050 because of the suicidal intention of the Swedish government to eliminate the Swedish white population the demographics will have changed, and Sweden will degenerate into the same kind of islamic dominated shit hole that the rest of the muslim world is. And that goes for Denmark, Norway, Holland and Finland as well.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a lot less than that usually, plus you often get free refills in many cafes.

Yes - 7 quid for a cup of coffee is complete tosh .Swedes are massive consumers of the caffeinated stuff and can get it for far less .At the Grand hotel - perhaps:)
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How much is it for a cup in a normal cafe these days?
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typo correction:
    I doubt it, by 2050 because of the suicidal intention of the Swedish government to eliminate the Swedish white population the demographics will have changed, and Sweden will degrade into the same kind of islamic dominated shit hole that the rest of the muslim world is. And that goes for Denmark, Norway, Holland and Finland as well.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any opinions on Finland?

I've been to Helsinki but I preferred Stockholm to be honest.

It's not a Scandinavian country but it is Nordic. Scandinavia consists of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, three countries that speak mutually intelligible North Germanic languages. Finnish is not a Germanic language, in fact it's not even in the Indo-European family- it's part of the Finno-Ugric branch of the Uralic languages. I don't see why Estonia isn't considered a Nordic country, after all like the Finns they speak a Finnic language and Estonians are a Finnic people, plus they spent a few hundred years under Swedish rule. Estonians have more in common culturally with Finland than they do with Latvia and Lithuania, even though they're classed as part of the Baltic States.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Norway and Sweden are so far north.... their fishing boats have access to great
    fishing in the arctic waters

Norway and Sweden must have some fab fish and chip shops !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    I've been to Helsinki but I preferred Stockholm to be honest.

It's not a Scandinavian country but it is Nordic. Scandinavia consists of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, three countries that speak mutually intelligible North Germanic languages. Finnish is not a Germanic language, in fact it's not even in the Indo-European family- it's part of the Finno-Ugric branch of the Uralic languages. I don't see why Estonia isn't considered a Nordic country, after all like the Finns they speak a Finnic language and Estonians are a Finnic people, plus they spent a few hundred years under Swedish rule. Estonians have more in common culturally with Finland than they do with Latvia and Lithuania, even though they're classed as part of the Baltic States.

From what I've heard, that's not as true as people think. The Swedes say they can have problems at times understanding spoken Danish, which is understandable. Also Danish uses some words more closely related to German than to Swedish and Norwegian.

Norwegian is somewhere in the middle of the two so they are fine in both countries :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wonder if the Norwegan Blue Parrot still flies above the fjords ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What if all the Abba records had been in Swedish !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive seen photos of the Swedish countryside that remind me of Yorkshire

The greeting "ey up" in Yorkshire and the East Midlands comes from the Old Norse "se upp" and even in Swedish today they say "se upp" which means "watch out!". In fact lots of words in the dialects in that part of England come from the Scandinavian settlers during the Viking age. All the place names ending in -by come from Danish settlements, mostly in Northern and Eastern England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    From what I've heard, that's not as true as people think. The Swedes say they can have problems at times understanding spoken Danish, which is understandable. Also Danish uses some words more closely related to German than to Swedish and Norwegian.

Norwegian is somewhere in the middle of the two so they are fine in both countries :)

Well, from what my Swedish friend told me you have an idea of what a Danish or Swedish person is saying but communication may be strained at times, yes. :)

Swedish and Danish have borrowed quite a few words from Low German, this is largely due to the Hanseatic League during the Middle Ages. The only North Germanic language (or Germanic language in general) that has remained relatively "pure" is Icelandic and that's largely due to geographical isolation. Norwegian, Swedish and Danish have also been much more influenced Latin than Icelandic has been.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweden has some rather bonkers sex worker rules. Where it is legal to sell sexual services, but illegal to buy? :confused:

Like most forms of attempted prohibition it doesn't sound too clever:

http://time.com/3005687/what-the-swedish-model-gets-wrong-about-prostitution/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They probably wouldn't be worldwide megastars and have as much 'money, money, money' as they no doubt have :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Ge mig ge mig ge mig en man efter midnatt".

Well, an English speaker should be able to work that one out. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Ge mig ge mig ge mig en man efter midnatt".

Well, an English speaker should be able to work that one out. :D

Unlike the titles Voulez-Vous, Chiquitita and maybe even Fernando :D
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The greeting "ey up" in Yorkshire and the East Midlands comes from the Old Norse "se upp" and even in Swedish today they say "se upp" which means "watch out!". In fact lots of words in the dialects in that part of England come from the Scandinavian settlers during the Viking age. All the place names ending in -by come from Danish settlements, mostly in Northern and Eastern England.

Is this true? I love it if it is. I like hearing an ey yup now and then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Unlike the titles Voulez-Vous, Chiquitita and maybe even Fernando :D

Indeed. :D

Actually reading any Scandinavian language you'll see quite a few words that are familiar to an English speaker if you look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup. And words like "fell" as in mountains or hills in the Pennines or the Lake District, in Norwegian "fjell" and Swedish "fjäll" mean the same thing. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You should move to somewhere like Doncaster or Worksop then, you'll hear it at least a hundred times a day :D

'Ay up luv' or 'Ay up duck' is deffo part of the lingo round there!!