No satellite signal is being received

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
Forum Member
✭✭
Every now and again i get the "no satellite signal is being received" message on my digibox on various channels, (not always same ones) or my picture pixelates and freezes, when I check the signal strength and quality they are at zero,
I called Sky and they took me through a trouble shooting procedure but to no avail, when I requested a visit by an engineer they told me i would be charged £65 :mad:
This mainly happens in the evening, although not all of the time, and it makes no difference what the weather conditions are, my coaxial cable has recently been renewed, My digibox is about 2 years old, I also have a spare one which is slightly older and it happens on both, my quad LNB is around 2 years old however I dont know how old the actual dish is as it was already up when I moved in.
Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the fact it is happening on two boxes it seems almost certain you either have a misaligned dish or failing lnb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I forgot to mention is that when I disconnect the dish from the back of the box, wait 30 seconds and re-connect, it seems to cure the problem but only temporarily, (sometimes only for 10 minutes) :confused:
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the Make and Model of your Box(s)?

That said, Dish Alignment and/or condition of LNB are the prime suspects.

It would be good practice to re-check the alignment at the time of renewing the cable - was this not done?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rai uno wrote: »
    What is the Make and Model of your Box(s)?

That said, Dish Alignment and/or condition of LNB are the prime suspects.

It would be good practice to re-check the alignment at the time of renewing the cable - was this not done?

The main digibox is Thompson 286_534, the older one is also Thompson but dont know the model number,
    It was a sky engineer that fitted the new cable and quad LNB at the same time so I presume the dish alignment would have been checked.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't recognise that model number? was that from the "system details" page or from a label on the bottom or back of the box? You are looking for a model number beginning DSI.... for most thomson boxes.

Thomson boxes are prone to power supply problems giving these sort of symptoms, so it's quite possible both boxes have power supply faults.

Do you have a friend or relative with a box that's known to be fully working? if so try your box on their dish, or their box on your dish to determine which is at fault.
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BorderBoy wrote: »
    The main digibox is Thompson 286_534, the older one is also Thompson but dont know the model number,
    It was a sky engineer that fitted the new cable and quad LNB at the same time so I presume the dish alignment would have been checked.

Sadly presumption is not enough...............

It is possible you are suffering from the occasional issue that arises after fitting a quad whereby the LNB arm has been deflected downwards (due to the additional weight) a very small amount and taken weaker Transponders to the margins.

A minute upward alteration to Dish Elevation should rectify the matter, if this is the cause.

But now that you've given us the Box details, I'm more inclined to ProDave's diagnosis - or it could be a bit of both!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Sorry to piggyback on this thread but it makes more sense than starting a new one. I'm having the same problem. I noticed a few days ago it was taking some time for the epg to 'kick in' then the digibox started going to auto standby even though it had never been set to do so. Now and for the past 24 hours nothing at all. Started losing picture yesterday afternoon and put it down to bad weather but it has gone totally for 24 hours.

Signal test shows absolutely nothing for strength and quality and lock indicator is not
    locked. Network ID and Transport stream both showing four zeroes.

No idea whether it's the box, lnb or dish. I can't access the dish as it's on the roof of a block of flats. And I can't seem to get to the hidden installer menu.

Oh and I can't phone Sky as I am living - ahem - beyond their jurisdiction. All help gratefully received
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    That's a very interesting page and I've now ran through the secret installer bit but even though I've reset where suggested I still have no signal. I'm desperately trying to find out what can be done before I have to approach the head of the residents association here (or el presidente as he likes to be styled and acts accordingly) to grovel for permission to have a look at the dish on the roof.
  • wilko1978wilko1978 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the no satellite signal being received every now and again,turning off the lnb power supply then turning it back usually always resolves it,unless its the weather is the problem.
  • radioredcatradioredcat Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BorderBoy wrote: »
    One thing I forgot to mention is that when I disconnect the dish from the back of the box, wait 30 seconds and re-connect, it seems to cure the problem but only temporarily, (sometimes only for 10 minutes) :confused:

I had a similar problem in the analogue days and it was the LNB had a dry joint on the connector inside,I repaired it as LNB'S were expensive in those days so it's not worth it these days try a new LNB.

ANDY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    go look at the dish, sound a tad off to me. Get a new lnb and make sure the dish isnt brown.