Options

EE: My last bit of sympathy for Linda Carter has been buried along with Jim and Stan.

Comments

• Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Though what do you expect to happen now, if you don't agree with Linda trying to get some "closure" on her experience?

Isn't it better to come to terms with it? And to move on with her life. She shouldn't be expected to have to carry that cross all her life y'know!

And if the police won't press charges against him, then apart from him confessing which will at least give her a modicum of satisfaction to hear him confess, I can't see what else she or anyone else in that situation could do?

My issue was with the way it was written. I could see the logic of Linda at least wanting Dean to acknowledge what he did to give her an element of closure. But it's being dragged out to a ridiculous extent just to prolong the story. And I didn't like the way it was all for Mick's sake rather than Linda's. I know she loves him but she isn't a pathetic little woman defined by her man.

I'd like to see Dean confess to Linda, Mick and Shirley and then leave the area out of respect for his victim.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I agree with a lot of your post, but not about him being a mass murderer, because it actually didn't happen, so whatever he tried to attempt, at the end of the day, noone was mass murdered, and he didn't become a mass murderer either.
    Sorry Geekinfected, I didn't realize until after I posted my reply to you that you had in fact put "attempted" before mass murderer! :blush:

:D It's okay. Actually maybe attempted mass murderer is a bit harsh. He was drunk and his intentions probably weren't to incinerate all of the punters, however having said that you can't excuse him, because it didn't happen. Had that barrel store been set on fire many people in the pub would have died - especially Pearl who's premature lungs wouldn't have been able to handle the fumes and that's assuming she'd have been born quick enough to allow Kim to escape.
    I don't think he's a monster, because I don't think they're painting him as a serial rapist and a sex offender.

This is the problem. You don't think he's a monster, because of the way he's being "painted" and this will be the message being sent out to many people who are seeing the storyline the way you are. The fact of the matter is serial rapist or not he is a sex offender. He is an unrepentant, remorseless sex offender and that in my eyes makes him a monster.
    More to do with the fact that he has some deep rooted issues to do with women I think.
    Did you notice he didn't like it when Linda commented to him that she knows he has a heart etc? He didn't like that did he....

I agree with all of this. In my opinion, Shirley's numerous abandonments, Linda's caring nature, Dean's misogyny, his break-up with Lauren, his alcohol all contributed to what he did. However those factors are not an excuse. The fact that they are choosing to explore his mental health after he has committed the ultimate hateful and disrespectful crime against woman, is a poor decision.
    Also if this was a real life situation, the fact that Linda went there of her own free will, and something awful happened, like he attacked her again....not just she wouldn't be believed by the police this time round, but as far as the police were concerned it would throw the first rape into complete doubt as well!

I agree. Would you not find this excruciatingly painful to watch though, if that happened?
    Though I thought his acting was spot on last night. Even without him saying anything, his eyes spoke volumes, and that could have been a golden scene in soap terms without the interference of Mick Carter!

I've not been a fan of Matt di Angelo's acting since his return, but I must admit he did do well in those scenes. So I commend him for that. I feel so sorry for him. Having to play a regular character who is a rapist on the most popular long running continuing drama series must be hard.
    Though what do you expect to happen now, if you don't agree with Linda trying to get some "closure" on her experience?

Isn't it better to come to terms with it? And to move on with her life. She shouldn't be expected to have to carry that cross all her life y'know!

And if the police won't press charges against him, then apart from him confessing which will at least give her a modicum of satisfaction to hear him confess, I can't see what else she or anyone else in that situation could do?

If this was a real-life situation? Linda would/should leave the square with her family. If Dean isn't going anywhere why should she suffer having to be his neighbour? It's not letting him win if she moves away. If I was one of the showrunners, that's not what I would have done. I would have either put Dean jail and have him undergo treatment whilst inside and then upon release have him dedicate a large part of his life to helping and supporting victims of rape, educating young people and also helping other sex offenders carry on with their lives.

DTC has said there will be a satisfying justice. The only satisfying justice I could possibly see is anything that includes a long departure from the square.
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I agree GI. I haven't lost sympathy for victims of rape but I have lost interest in the story, there is just no progression and although I see what DTC was aiming for with it, I don't think he has got it quite right.

In all honesty, It was a damned silly thing to have her confronting Dean alone, she may want closure but what sort of message does that send out? They seriously misjudged that.

Shirley needs to find out the truth, support Linda, get Dean help (his exit) and therefore begin to heal the family rift and put Dean's part to bed, but with Matt still filming - I think we may have several more months of this to come.

Slightly off topic but I also find it frustrating that Linda is portrayed as such a saint all the time (not to do with the rape story but just in general, as DTC's fave character it feels like he doesn't want her to step a foot wrong and he wants everyone to love her).

I agree Ell. I have lost sympathy for Linda Carter as a character. Nothing to do with her rape. Because we are constantly being forced to feel sorry for both Dean and Linda is what repels me from them even more. What makes a good character is their flaws. Ian, Jane, Ben, Shirley, Phil, Dot, Denise and others imo are great characters mostly because of their flaws.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I agree Ell. I have lost sympathy for Linda Carter as a character. Nothing to do with her rape. Because we are constantly being forced to feel sorry for both Dean and Linda is what repels me from them even more. What makes a good character is their flaws. Ian, Jane, Ben, Shirley, Phil, Dot, Denise and others imo are great characters mostly because of their flaws.

Completely agree. I do get fed up with Linda being painted out as a saint, I like flaws, it's what makes characters interesting. I know I've already said it but it does feel like because of DTC's love for the character, she can never/never will step a foot wrong. Completely puts me off her. I have sympathy for rape victims but I don't really care about Linda as a character - I think it was too soon to inflict a rape on such a new character/family, if they wanted to do it, then it should have been a longer term character, imo.

I'm not really sure it played out very well yesterday, at all.

You're right, Ian, Jane, Ben, Shirley, Phil, Dot, Denise - even Cora, have flaws and their flaws make them great as characters.
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Ell. I have lost sympathy for Linda Carter as a character. Nothing to do with her rape. Because we are constantly being forced to feel sorry for both Dean and Linda is what repels me from them even more.

You can't decide in that brain of yours whether to feel sorry for a lying rapist or his victim? Another low for you this isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree. I do get fed up with Linda being painted out as a saint - I like flaws, it's what makes characters interesting. I know I've already said it but it does feel like because of DTC's love for the character, she can never/never will step a foot wrong.

Uh...she was raped. Her family are supporting her and want justice for the crime committed against her.

This is a big joke this thread. Has to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Uh...she was raped. Her family are supporting her and want justice for the crime committed against her.

It seems if a character is attacked, you aren't allowed to say anything against them, we weren't talking about the rape - we were talking about Linda as a character.
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member

Your response had no bearing to the statement you qouted. People don't have to like Linda just because she was raped.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    You can't decide in that brain of yours whether to feel sorry for a lying rapist or his victim? Another low for you this isn't it?

If you actually read through the comments instead of mouthing off you would understand that once again you have jumped to drastic conclusions. Please make sure you've got all the facts next time you attempt to school me.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D It's okay. Actually maybe attempted mass murderer is a bit harsh. He was drunk and his intentions probably weren't to incinerate all of the punters, however having said that you can't excuse him, because it didn't happen. Had that barrel store been set on fire many people in the pub would have died - especially Pearl who's premature lungs wouldn't have been able to handle the fumes and that's assuming she'd have been born quick enough to allow Kim to escape.

This is the problem. You don't think he's a monster, because of the way he's being "painted" and this will be the message being sent out to many people who are seeing the storyline the way you are. The fact of the matter is serial rapist or not he is a sex offender. He is an unrepentant, remorseless sex offender and that in my eyes makes him a monster.

I agree with all of this. In my opinion, Shirley's numerous abandonments, Linda's caring nature, Dean's misogyny, his break-up with Lauren, his alcohol all contributed to what he did. However those factors are not an excuse. The fact that they are choosing to explore his mental health after he has committed the ultimate hateful and disrespectful crime against woman, is a poor decision.

I agree. Would you not find this excruciatingly painful to watch though, if that happened?

I've not been a fan of Matt di Angelo's acting since his return, but I must admit he did do well in those scenes. So I commend him for that. I feel so sorry for him. Having to play a regular character who is a rapist on the most popular long running continuing drama series must be hard.

If this was a real-life situation? Linda would/should leave the square with her family. If Dean isn't going anywhere why should she suffer having to be his neighbour? It's not letting him win if she moves away. If I was one of the showrunners, that's not what I would have done. I would have either put Dean jail and have him undergo treatment whilst inside and then upon release have him dedicate a large part of his life to helping and supporting victims of rape, educating young people and also helping other sex offenders carry on with their lives.

DTC has said there will be a satisfying justice. The only satisfying justice I could possibly see is anything that includes a long departure from the square.

Why is it a problem that some posters/viewers don't think Dean is a monster? The term "monster" is entirely subjective and people are always going to disagree over whether a fictional/real life criminal is a "monster" - the only thing we know for sure is that Dean is a sex offender and in an ideal world he would be punished for his crime and given psychiatric treatment for his issues.

The reason Dean hasn't shown guilt/remorse is because at the moment he doesn't think he has done anything wrong. He is delusional/in denial and has crushed what he has done because he doesn't want to acknowledge it to himself or genuinely believes it was consensual when it wasn't. Given that Dean is capable of love or in Linda's words "has a heart", it seems likely that he is also capable of feeling guilt and remorse once he has acknowledged/accepted what he did.

I do agree with the lines in bold but often mental health problems in criminals are sadly only identified and dealt with after they have committed the crime.

I can understand some viewers/posters having issues with Dean "being made to look sympathetic" but surely everyone would be sorry for Linda as she is the rape victim?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wotnot wrote: »
    Your response had no bearing to the statement you qouted. People don't have to like Linda just because she was raped.

Thanks. They took what I posted completely out of context.
    If you actually read through the comments instead of mouthing off you would understand that once again you have jumped to drastic conclusions. Please make sure you've got all the facts next time you attempt to school me.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight was horrible, the impression I got was "if you admit you were a naughty boy we'll say no more about it so my husband doesn't get upset on my behalf".

What does that tell us, girls? Your experience means NOTHING.
    Let's care about Dean and his delusion
    Lets care about Mick and his reaction
    What about Linda and what we saw happen on screen?

I think it was a good move to acknowledge that rapes do not get prosecuted due to lack of evidence and one word against another. But this was appalling. I think I'm done.

Well you couldn't be more wrong in this so called perfect post.

Linda has seen Dean escape trial. She has endured months of tension and fighting within her family. She wants this to be resolved in some way and the only way she can feel able to move on is if she hears Dean admit what he did.

How can you say she cares about Dean's delusion when she has just asked him to admit what he's done? She cares about Mick because of the effect its having on him. She does not want him to go to prison for attacking Dean. She wants to put an end to all this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting aside the fact that Matt Di Angelo can't act to save his life, which doesn't help, I think this story would have worked so much better if the rapist had been from outside the family. It could still be somebody relatively close to the Carters, but it just isn't feasible that Dean would stick around with half his famly against him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you couldn't be more wrong in this so called perfect post.

Linda has seen Dean escape trial. She has endured months of tension and fighting within her family. She wants this to be resolved in some way and the only way she can feel able to move on is if she hears Dean admit what he did.

How can you say she cares about Dean's delusion when she has just asked him to admit what he's done? She cares about Mick because of the effect its having on him. She does not want him to go to prison for attacking Dean. She wants to put an end to all this.

Sorry, think you misunderstood me. I'm not suggesting that is Linda's view. It's the impression I get from the way it's being written that the AUDIENCE is expected to care more about Mick and Dean.

And none of my posts are perfect, they are just my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never said they did. The poster agreed that Linda has lost their sympathy because she is written as being a saint, with no flaws, who never puts a foot wrong. I reminded them that she was raped because why would this make her an unsympathetic victim? It shouldn't. It should have nothing to do with it. They moan that they are being asked to constantly feel sorry for Linda. So it seems they just dislike the character and are fed up of watching her because they do not care about her. Fair enough but this thread at various times attempts to discredit Linda as a victim and for that certain posters should be ashamed for having such opinions. TV show or not.

I mentioned her family to justify their unwavering support that these posters may have taken to be contributing to Linda's "saintly" personality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Putting aside the fact that Matt Di Angelo can't act to save his life, which doesn't help, I think this story would have worked so much better if the rapist had been from outside the family. It could still be somebody relatively close to the Carters, but it just isn't feasible that Dean would stick around with half his famly against him.

BIB: This! 100%

What would have been interesting from Dean would have been to have seen him find out about Mick and Buster and try to muscle in on what he perceived to be Mick's 'perfect' life - manipulate the family and get them onside, a bit like Babe has done with the Carters.

Making him Linda's rapist was a very bad idea, and whoever thought of it - bad them!:o:D
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree. I do get fed up with Linda being painted out as a saint, I like flaws, it's what makes characters interesting. I know I've already said it but it does feel like because of DTC's love for the character, she can never/never will step a foot wrong. Completely puts me off her. I have sympathy for rape victims but I don't really care about Linda as a character - I think it was too soon to inflict a rape on such a new character/family, if they wanted to do it, then it should have been a longer term character, imo.

I'm not really sure it played out very well yesterday, at all.

You're right, Ian, Jane, Ben, Shirley, Phil, Dot, Denise - even Cora, have flaws and their flaws make them great as characters.

She has plenty of flaws - but ultimately just because she's fundamentally a good, caring person despite them, it doesn't mean she's being portrayed as a saint. She's being portrayed as a good human.

I think maybe, if you're honest, the reason she's lost you as a character in this storyline is because even as the victim she's shown more class and compassion for people around her than Shirley has and you feel that Linda has stolen your Mick/Shirley scenes from you and made Shirley unlikeable to the general public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never said they did. The poster agreed that Linda has lost their sympathy because she is written as being a saint, with no flaws, who never puts a foot wrong. I reminded them that she was raped because why would this make her an unsympathetic victim? It shouldn't. It should have nothing to do with it. They moan that they are being asked to constantly feel sorry for Linda. So it seems they just dislike the character and are fed up of watching her because they do not care about her. Fair enough but this thread at various times attempts to discredit Linda as a victim and for that certain posters should be ashamed for having such opinions. TV show or not.I mentioned her family to justify their unwavering support that these posters may have taken to be contributing to Linda's "saintly" personality.

First BIB, no she didn't she mentioned that as an aside, not in relation to the rape.

Second BIB, I have sympathy for Linda because she had something happen to her which was horrific that no woman should ever suffer. I don't have sympathy for her if people (by people I mean other characters on the soap opera), disbelieve her as I feel she has brought that on with her actions since the rape. I don't feel ashamed for that.

But anyway you took the posters response out of context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never said they did. The poster agreed that Linda has lost their sympathy because she is written as being a saint, with no flaws, who never puts a foot wrong. I reminded them that she was raped because why would this make her an unsympathetic victim? It shouldn't. It should have nothing to do with it. They moan that they are being asked to constantly feel sorry for Linda. So it seems they just dislike the character and are fed up of watching her because they do not care about her. Fair enough but this thread at various times attempts to discredit Linda as a victim and for that certain posters should be ashamed for having such opinions. TV show or not.

I mentioned her family to justify their unwavering support that these posters may have taken to be contributing to Linda's "saintly" personality.

I didn't say I had lost sympathy for Linda or that Linda has lost her sympathy because she is being written as a saint, I said I had lost interest in the story but still sympathised with rape victims? And that I felt that because of DTC's love for Linda, she doesn't ever put a foot wrong. I didn't suggest she was an unsympathetic victim, I was merely saying that I dislike her characterisation, the way she has been portrayed from almost the very beginning. As said above and I thank - you wotnot, I mentioned it as an ad-side, separate from the rape.

Could you also show me where I moaned about 'being asked to constantly feel sorry for Linda?' I never said anything along those lines in my post.

You have taken my post completely out of context.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this was a real-life situation? Linda would/should leave the square with her family. If Dean isn't going anywhere why should she suffer having to be his neighbour? It's not letting him win if she moves away.

You're all heart.

So because Linda has the courage to not move away she's exhausted your limited supply of sympathy and now is more deserving of your victim blaming for not running away or cowering in fear at the sight of her rapist. Twisted views on this I have to say.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're all heart.

So because Linda has the courage to not move away she's exhausted your limited supply of sympathy and now is more deserving of your victim blaming for not running away or cowering in fear at the sight of her rapist. Twisted views on this I have to say.

The rape victim should uproot her entire family, leave their home and their business. You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First BIB, no she didn't she mentioned that as an aside, not in relation to the rape.

Hard to accept when people have said they are fed up of being asked to feel sorry for Linda because she never puts a foot wrong that it has no relation to the rape. What are they fed up of feeling sorry for her about then?
    Second BIB, I have sympathy for Linda because she had something happen to her which was horrific that no woman should ever suffer. I don't have sympathy for her if people (by people I mean other characters on the soap opera), disbelieve her as I feel she has brought that on with her actions since the rape. I don't feel ashamed for that.

But anyway you took the posters response out of context.

It is interesting how people say they have no sympathy for Linda because she's written as a saint with no flaws and yet they criticize her for having flaws. She is condemned for not behaving in a way they think a rape victim should behave. Like I said it's victim blaming.

Lovely people you lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB: This! 100%

What would have been interesting from Dean would have been to have seen him find out about Mick and Buster and try to muscle in on what he perceived to be Mick's 'perfect' life - manipulate the family and get them onside, a bit like Babe has done with the Carters.

Making him Linda's rapist was a very bad idea, and whoever thought of it - bad them!:o:D

Yes, that could have been interesting. The whole "Shirley as Mick's mother" thing has been sidelined for this dreadful plot. And the addition of Dean as Shabnam's secret babydaddy is just ridiculous. Eastenders always has to take things a step too far. Looking back at the dreaded baby swap, wouldn't the tragedy of a cot death been a big enough story for Ronnie? Characters get damaged so much by the need to come up with more and more sensational stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hard to accept when people have said they are fed up of being asked to feel sorry for Linda because she never puts a foot wrong that it has no relation to the rape. What are they fed up of feeling sorry for her about then?

It is interesting how people say they have no sympathy for Linda because she's written as a saint with no flaws and yet they criticize her for having flaws. She is condemned for not behaving in a way they think a rape victim should behave. Like I said it's victim blaming.

Lovely people you lot.

Are you deliberately reading everything wrong?

This is becoming silly now, lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Linda has been very brave I think. Even Mick's actions have been totally understandable - his partner was raped and he is trying to protect his family, especially after feeling so inadequate in not being able to protect her from the rape, so he feels he needs to make up for that now in this way.

The storyline needs to progress soon as it is getting very boring but I think both Mick and Linda's reactions have been perfectly understandable and I don't think any of their characters have been ruined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hard to accept when people have said they are fed up of being asked to feel sorry for Linda because she never puts a foot wrong that it has no relation to the rape. What are they fed up of feeling sorry for her about then?.

Again, I ask, could you please show me in my post that I supposedly said this?

It is not victim blaming, I was discussing my thoughts on Linda, as a character from the beginning, not Linda the rape victim. Are you determined to change everything that has been said?