Options

breaking bad

Comments

• Options
    livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh I never liked Gretchen and Elliot. I hate them now.

What I want to know is why, after the phonecall to Walt.jr did he phone the DEA? I guess they'd have tracked him down after Walt.jr's shouting fit down the phone anyway, so why did he speed up the process? Did I miss something?
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I want to know is why, after the phonecall to Walt.jr did he phone the DEA? I guess they'd have tracked him down after Walt.jr's shouting fit down the phone anyway, so why did he speed up the process? Did I miss something?
    Because he did not want his son to be the person responsible for his arrest?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I bloody hate the Walt Jr. character and could quite happily have done without him the entire time. Whiny little bitch.
    Arrrrrrgh! Every time he comes on screen I just want to reach into the telly and give him a good slap. I find him so irritating! :mad: Glad to see I am not the only one who feels that way...

I'm not a fan either. Aside from the odd one or two funny one liners (it smells like band aids) he irritates me. He's a moody, bratty teenager who's always swearing at his parents. He was such a spoilt brat in the scene in season 1, where Skyler and Walt take him for new clothes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member

I thought he did it after hearing the guys on TV say he wasn't around any more. Just to prove them wrong perhaps..
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesse Houdini...who'd have thought it. :confused::D
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R,J Mitte is the best actor on the show. I find his performances mesmerizing, on the same level as Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because he has had enough.

He's spent 2 - 3 months living alone apart from the odd $10,000 hour he spends with Vacuum Guy.

His son has disowned him and his wife is probably going to jail for helping him with his crimes.

He's going to be dead in a few weeks/months so giving himself up now will probably keep Skyler out of jail and give some closure to Marie when he tells them where Hank is burried but he will probably never stand trial.

So he rings the DEA and leaves the line open so they can track him down.

Then he sees the Interview on TV and something changes his Mind about giving up (the fact that Blue Meth is still being sold is my guess).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R,J Mitte is the best actor on the show. I find his performances mesmerizing, on the same level as Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones.

I like him as an actor, he's absolutely convincing in the role... but his character is a bit of a brat
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan either. Aside from the odd one or two funny one liners (it smells like band aids) he irritates me. He's a moody, bratty teenager who's always swearing at his parents. He was such a spoilt brat in the scene in season 1, where Skyler and Walt take him for new clothes.

In the scene you are referring to he was clearly upset due to being able to hear the 3 jocks making fun of him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calling it now: Hal wakes up and it's all a dream :D
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    He's going to be dead in a few weeks/months so giving himself up now will probably keep Skyler out of jail and give some closure to Marie when he tells them where Hank is burried but he will probably never stand trial.

So he rings the DEA and leaves the line open so they can track him down.

Then he sees the Interview on TV and something changes his Mind about giving up (the fact that Blue Meth is still being sold is my guess).

I agree. On seeing the TV interview Walt changed his mind about giving up.

I don't fully understand why Walt ended his involvement with Grey matter but I think he was probably very pissed off about Gretchen and Elliot being so dismissive on TV about his role in founding Grey Matter.

I also think Walt will not like his signature cook being made by a bunch of psycho nazis.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the interview would have wound him up on many levels however it would be the likelihood that Jesse is still alive (because blue meth is being made) that would have scared him the most. He must realize that Jesse will want revenge on Walt and the only way he can get that is through his family.

The one thing that gets me is that vacuum guy's plan is pretty rubbish. Ok, fair enough Walt is the 'hottest' criminal he's had to move but living in a shack by your own whilst you slowly die of cancer is pretty ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the interview would have wound him up on many levels however it would be the likelihood that Jesse is still alive (because blue meth is being made) that would have scared him the most. He must realize that Jesse will want revenge on Walt and the only way he can get that is through his family.

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe Walt is going back for Jessie. Though I'm not sure whether that is to rescue him or kill him.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Jesse Houdini...who'd have thought it. :confused::D

That's why they skipped how he actually got out. :p Also, I agree with all that money he'd be in South America or somewhere else abroad by now. Still enjoying it all, though. I hope it isn't a cop-out ending like Dexter was. I expect it to be finished for good with both Jesse and Walt dying. :D
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the tension in this episode when jessie was trying to escape was off the charts, please save him walt!!!!!!! even if its inadvertently

10/10 episode for me

p.s i hate todd and his family!
  • Options
    suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I honestly have no idea what is going to happen next week. All I know is I can't wait to find out... then I'm buying the Blu Ray set and watching it all again... :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw that Walt had given himself up and was waiting for the cops to show until he saw Gretchen and Elliot being interviewed on TV.

What did Gretchen and Elliot say?

Elliot starts off saying...
    "for us it's always been science first."

Elliot talking about Walt
    "we are talking about someone who was there early on but had virtually nothing to do with the creation of the company."

Walt's contribution to the company;

Gretchen -
    "the company name."

Elliot
    "as far as I can recall his contribution begins and ends there."

From the interview Walt learns that his signature cook, blue meth amphetamine, is still being made and is still being exported to Europe.

Then finally Gretchen on Walt -
    "I can't speak to this Hisenberg... whatever he became the sweet kind brilliant man that we once knew, long ago, he's gone."

Walt was clearly hurt by the dismissal of his contribution to Gray Matter Technologies and he may also be miffed Jessie is still making his product and the Nazis and Lydia are still profiting from his work just as he believes Gretchen and Elliot had.

The whole reason Walt started to cook meth was money. Money was always very very important to him. Even when he had shedloads of money he still wanted more but since Walt jr's refusal to take any of his ill gotten wealth money is now worthless to him.

I think what is important to Walt now is his work, his reputation as a chemist.

As Shakespeare has Lago say in Othello
    Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing; 'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name robs me of that which not enriches him and makes me poor indeed.

So Walt could be returning to Albuquerque to kill/save Jessie, Kill the nazis, Kill Lydia. Kill Gretchen & Elliot. Or any permutation of those.

We know in next week's final episode Walt will arrive back in Albuquerque on his birthday and he will take possession of a very large gun - the kind of gun you'd use to destroy a building not the kind of gun you'd use to shoot the odd person - and he will pick up the risin.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't show us him doing those things again though as we've already seen him do it. Let's hope they can assume we are intelligent enough without repeating it.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they only got 1 F word a season? I've heard 3 in Season 5 (or 2 if you count the first half as a separate season). Thankfully Netflix isn't bleeping them anyway!
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all been about pride. I've always said that Walt was always a borderline psychopath from the beginning. Him leaving Grey Matter and starting again because of circumstances he couldn't control. His ex-colleagues offer him the option of returning to the company in return they will pay his medical bills - but he can't because of pride.

It's empire building. Grey Matter should have been his empire but he gave it up. They then take any credit away from him which dents his pride.

"It can't be for nothing" he gasps on the phone.

There's no happy ending here. He will return and kill all those who have stood in his way, with the ricin for Elliot and Gretchen.

The final script apparently is written by William Shakespeare... ;)
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I thought they only got 1 F word a season? I've heard 3 in Season 5 (or 2 if you count the first half as a separate season). Thankfully Netflix isn't bleeping them anyway!

is this true ?

I must admit I'd never noticed how much/little swearing there was until they'd started bleeping it .

and why is it bleeped anyway ? shows like Dexter and Game of Thrones etc. have far more swearing don't they?
  • Options
    rovermacrovermac Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats gonna happen to the car wash now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I bloody hate the Walt Jr. character and could quite happily have done without him the entire time. Whiny little bitch.

Couldn't agree more! Him and Jesse have been deeply annoying whiney characters throughout the show. More so Jesse though!..who is always a moments away from a breakdown, and never clear headed and always looking like a rabbit caught in headlights! I cheered when the gang took him prisoner!
  • Options
    lightupvmlightupvm Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more! Him and Jesse have been deeply annoying whiney characters throughout the show. More so Jesse though!..who is always a moments away from a breakdown, and never clear headed and always looking like a rabbit caught in headlights! I cheered when the gang took him prisoner!

So glad I'm not watching the show with you! 'The gang' are Nazis... presumably that's worse than being 'whiny'?
  • Options
    madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    the tension in this episode when jessie was trying to escape was off the charts, please save him walt!!!!!!! even if its inadvertently

10/10 episode for me

p.s i hate todd and his family!

I agree, my partner said last night, 'it was a bit of a slow episode', but I dissagree, I't was a slow burner alright,with some tense moments, and it smoldered away nicely. The calm before the storm I recon,setting the scene for the ensuing madness, which I think will be big on action as well as emotion.(well I'll be a blubbering wreck for sure)..:o..:D