Options

Scart connection set-up (easy)

It's probably really easy, but I can't figure out how to set-up my Freeview Box, Digibox and VCR to the TV with scart leads. Could anybody help, please?

They all have two scart sockets each (including the TV), and I don't want to have to use any of the boxes via the TV's RF-in. Obviously I also want to be able to record from the Freeview and Digibox onto the VCR, but again without doing it via the VCR's RF-in.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

W99

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, here's an easy and, more importantly, flexible way to connect where you can record (or watch) any channel from the digibox -this is Sky??- while watching Fview.

Digibox VCR scart ---> VCR AV2 (this will be an in/out scart)
    Digibox TV scart ---> TV AV1 (set digibox to RGB out)
    FV box Svideo out ---> TV AV2 (set up for Svideo)
    (if your TV has RGB on AV2 then use RGB for FV connection)

Leave the VCR set to AV2 so you can always record over scart from the Digibox.

If you are watching Sky on TV AV1 just press play on the VCR to change to watching tapes. Press stop to rever to Sky - simple.

If you need to record a Sky movie or sports event you can watch FV channels at the same time on TV AV2.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio wrote:
    Hi, here's an easy and, more importantly, flexible way to connect where you can record (or watch) any channel from the digibox -this is Sky??- while watching Fview.

Digibox VCR scart ---> VCR AV2 (this will be an in/out scart)
    Digibox TV scart ---> TV AV1 (set digibox to RGB out)
    FV box Svideo out ---> TV AV2 (set up for Svideo)
    (if your TV has RGB on AV2 then use RGB for FV connection)

Leave the VCR set to AV2 so you can always record over scart from the Digibox.

If you are watching Sky on TV AV1 just press play on the VCR to change to watching tapes. Press stop to rever to Sky - simple.

If you need to record a Sky movie or sports event you can watch FV channels at the same time on TV AV2.

Rgds,
    Scorp
    That's ok, Scorp, if all W99 wanted to record from was the Digibox, but what about recording from the FV box? Some sort of scart-splitter would be in order then surely? In which case, you might as well have both digiboxes wired into AV1 of the TV to get RGB from both rather than S-Vid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant everything from Freeview be found on the Digibox?

I deliberately suggested this rather than connect the VCR to the FV box as all would be available over Sky.

Also, you cant get Sky sports or Movies if connected to the FV box.

The problem with linking the FV box through the Digibox (or vice versa) is that it is difficult to control them - turn on the Sky box and this signal takes over, overriding the FV box. This would make it difficult to control the signal to the VCR.

A scart splitter would allow both to be sent through to the TV AV1 scart to pick up RGB signals.

A splitter would also allow recording from the FV box in the event that (say) a movie was being watched on Sky.

In most cases like this, an additional RF signal to the VCR covers this requirement but as W99 doesnt want this then a splitter as above would do the job.

I think this is starting to make the set up more complicated and my set up meets W99's requirements of simplicity with a chunk of flexibility thrown in.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio wrote:
    Cant everything from Freeview be found on the Digibox?
    The answer to that question is actually 'No'. For example, the ABC1 channel is not currently available on SkyDigital (unless I've missed something just recently).

And W99 specifically said "Obviously I also want to be able to record from the Freeview and Digibox onto the VCR".

But I agree, your suggested set-up is the simplest and would provide for the vast majority of circumstances. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Point taken, I'd forgotten about ABC. I used to watch a lot of their shows when i was a kid and would like the opportunity to see a few reruns........Avengers, Danger Man etc.

Rgds,
    Scorp