Options

Best Freeview HD set-top boxes?

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No. Wire it to your router. Home plugs cause serious interference to your neighbours.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page22.htm#PLT

Mine don't affect my neighbours nor their ones don't affect me.

Don't think much of your English, or your perpesctive :eek: , what happened to may or might ?.

Out of the millions in use a tiny tiny percentage actually cause any problems.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Deletion of a programme you have just watched takes 4 presses via opt + (opt+ OK left OK) , and 4 via the OK button.
    Depends where you are starting from. I was starting from watching live TV. You are starting from having the programme already selected in the Media list, that way, other boxes do it in two (or even one if you turn off delete confirmations) key presses.

One thing you can't do while a programme is being deleted "in the background" is select another programme for deletion. That is a whole other faff to go into the file manager to select all you want to delete and wo betide if you miss one out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Depends where you are starting from. I was starting from watching live TV. You are starting from having the programme already selected in the Media list.

One thing you can't do while a programme is being deleted "in the background" is select another programme for deletion. That is a whole other faff to go into the file manager to select all you want to delete and wo betide if you miss one out.

How many pvrs do you know that can identify what you want to delete without first selecting either the complete folder or individual episodes ?:eek:

Including this essential step is pretty daft. You could of course remove the final are you sure confirmation. Not a good idea on a Linux EXT3 FS, unlike Windows the file really is deleted. There's no chance of a recycle bin. The CF for the HDR FOX T2 does have a recycle bin/undelete feature.

You can delete as many programmes as you want one after the other on a HDR FOX T2, HD FOX T2 or the HDR1000/1010S. On these models deletion takes place in the background. The only sign that the boxes are deleting is the gradual increase in the indicated free space on the HDD.

In addition the Freeview-HD boxes lets you delete a whole folder at a time, again you don't have to wait for the delete to complete before deleting more folders or individual episodes.

Your comment only applies to the 2008 Foxsat-hdr, as the thread was about the HDR FOX T2 it's completely inaccurate.

Only the Foxsat has the somewhat unwieldy File Manager option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am glad to hear they have learnt from some of their previous mistakes. True, my experience is based on using the 8000T, the old Fox STB, the Foxsat HDR and their current Youview box. Indeed it was my experience of the Foxsat which put me off getting the Fox T2 when we finally got Freeview HD in my region which demonstrates that mud sticks.

Still waiting for them to issue a fix for the EPG problem on the old Fox which makes it virtually unusable though ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad to hear they have learnt from some of their previous mistakes. True, my experience is based on using the 8000T, the old Fox STB, the Foxsat HDR and their current Youview box. Indeed it was my experience of the Foxsat which put me off getting the Fox T2 when we finally got Freeview HD in my region which demonstrates that mud sticks.

Still waiting for them to issue a fix for the EPG problem on the old Fox which makes it virtually unusable though ...

So you posted information in a thread clearly labelled Best Freeview-HD box based on a 2008 model Humax Freesat box without actually having any experience of the HDR FOX T2 pvrs. Talk about muddying the waters and posting biased and inaccurate information.

It's well documented the Youview box isn't a very capable pvr (down to Alan Sugars lot not Humax).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was rebutting the assertion that Humax were the best make for usability which, based on my experience across a range of their products, is simply not true. And you were able to confirm that the asked for example I gave applies just as much to the specific model being discussed as to others in their range.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was rebutting the assertion that Humax were the best make for usability which, based on my experience across a range of their products, is simply not true. And you were able to confirm that the asked for example I gave applies just as much to the specific model being discussed as to others in their range.

And your comment about not being able to delete anything else while an existing delete was under way. Did I dream that ?. It was incorrect and not relevant to the HDT FOX T2 in any way.

I don't believe there is a Freeview-HD pvr on the market that will match the HDR FOX T2 especially with the CF installed. If there is I would like to know which box it is ?
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    OP, you enquired about Which? PVR recommendations, and against the criteria TV Service Received - Freeview HD, Receive and Record HD channels - Yes, Record 2 channels and watch a 3rd live - Yes, here are the results.

In 1st place and a Best Buy Humax HDR Fox T2 78%, 2nd Philips HDT8520 62%, 3rd YouView DTR-T1000 61%, 4th Icecrypt T2400 60%, 5th Digital Stream DHR8203U 48%, last place Bush Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder 44%.
  • Options
    Jameseh.Jameseh. Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    OP, you enquired about Which? PVR recommendations, and against the criteria TV Service Received - Freeview HD, Receive and Record HD channels - Yes, Record 2 channels and watch a 3rd live - Yes, here are the results.

In 1st place and a Best Buy Humax HDR Fox T2 78%, 2nd Philips HDT8520 62%, 3rd YouView DTR-T1000 61%, 4th Icecrypt T2400 60%, 5th Digital Stream DHR8203U 48%, last place Bush Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder 44%.

Not one of those can record two while you watch another live.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Jameseh. wrote: »

You are wrong.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about the others but that is completely wrong about the Humax HDR Fox-T2 as I have personally recorded two channels and watched a third on it.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

Why would you even post that nonsense....?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only can you watch a third channel live you can also record it from the buffer after one of the two recordings finishes using a HDR FOX T2.

If both recordings are from the same mux then any 3rd channelis viewable (eg recording any pair of HD channels then any other channel can be viewed).

If from different mux then any channel on the same mux as either recording can be viewed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Youview box and the Digitalstream let you record two and watch a third.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Youview box and the Digitalstream let you record two and watch a third.
    Indeed and all six do. evil c's post is quite correct and Jameseh's unsubstantiated challenge is erroneous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In fact I have to go back to my old Humax 8000T for a PVR I have used that did not. But that model had the slight disadvantage of having only a single tuner. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fact I have to go back to my old Humax 8000T for a PVR I have used that did not. But that model had the slight disadvantage of having only a single tuner. ;)

The HD FOX T2 has only a single tuner but you can still watch a channel sharing a mux with the current recording.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you and your neighbours are not using the frequencies affected.

However may or might does not come into it. Homeplugs cause your wiring to radiate interference which WILL affect anyone using those frequencies. This applies to all the millions in use. Just because many people are not using those frequencies does not change the laws of physics.

Indeed but you are making the exact point. WiFi is just the same, too many users in close proximity makes it harder to find a clear channel where performance isn't seriously compromised. I don't see you getting on your soap box about this :eek:

Others using the same frequencies do not have any more rights than anyone else. In the end in the remote possibility that problems are found then a solution isn't normally too hard to find.

For some hard wired connections are simply impractical.

I use DAB FM LW radio without any issues. The range of the potential interference is very small.

Virtually no RF frequencies are without potential interference possibilities. Quite why you pick on just one is very hard to understand :confused: We all have to share the available spectrum, what right have you to claim that a legally licensed and useful technology should not be used to protect a tiny tiny majority of others who may have problems.
    The vast majority of users have no problems, give us all a break :eek: and and stop posting vastly exaggerated postings about the so called massive interference caused by homeplug devices.

It's patently absurb, the number of actual reported problems are miniscule compared to the technology take up. The very few that do may well require hard wired or other solutions.

I wonder how many of your neighbours have these which you don't know about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe you and your neighbours are not using the frequencies affected.

However may or might does not come into it. Homeplugs cause your wiring to radiate interference which WILL affect anyone using those frequencies. This applies to all the millions in use. Just because many people are not using those frequencies does not change the laws of physics.

I'm surprised the UK Radio Hams haven't worked with manufacturers to resolve the problem as they did in the US. I suppose they'd just rather complain and expect someone to sort it for them over here.....
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Why would you even post that nonsense....?:confused:

(A) He clearly hasn't a clue what he's talking about.
    (B) He's looking for some kind of argument
    (C) He's a moron.

*press the appropriate button to vote now* :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    (A) He clearly hasn't a clue what he's talking about.
    (B) He's looking for some kind of argument
    (C) He's a moron.

*press the appropriate button to vote now* :D

Can I press all three? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    My favourites are the TVonics by Pulse-Eight boxes and the Humax YouView box, which is even better paired with BT Vision.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Rubbish.

My friends Humax and my Digitalstream both can do exactly that.

Indeed, as has been pointed out already, all of the boxes you mention can do the same thing.

Back to drawing board for you I reckon.
  • Options
    Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I am close to caving in and am thinking of buying a Humax. One with YouView is no good to me because I do not think I am an area where it will work, so the desire is to get a top Humax with huge capacity. Any experiences/advice welcome (and yes, I know I can do a Google search but like hearing what you infmred peopel have to say!)