~50% speed decrease on Three.

2»

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    So it has nothing to do with capacity just a way for you to have to pay more for higher speeds which you should already get thanks for the clarification.

It's a pointless speed cap tbh. Nothing you can't do with 10Mbps.

(Well except a speed test at 11Mbps ofc :D )
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    It's a pointless speed cap tbh. Nothing you can't do with 10Mbps.
    Not as pointless as the upload speed limit which is a strange 8Mb/s

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/webcontent/vftst073789.pdf
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »

To put that into perspective it's 8 times faster than fixed line ADSL (not fibre).

So it's pretty good if it's achievable.

Interesting find with some precise detail about Vodafone's current traffic management that was new to me.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »

So i wasn't the only one who thought a speed cap of 8Mbps upload on a network that only support 5.6Mbps upload was a bit strange...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the posts guys.

The reason I'm bothered about being on 10Mbps compared to 20-30Mbps is purely because I download large files whilst tethered. Obviously being on 10Mbps it's going to take me twice as long as running at 20Mbps, and it'd be even quicker running at 30Mbps.

I just don't understand why it's all of a sudden slowed, and slowed to exactly the same speed for the whole day. If it was congestion, I'd expect it to drop lower during the day, and pick up again at night, but it's not, it's a CONSTANT 10/11Mbps.

It certainly seems to me, that the symptoms are in line with the DC-HSDPA equipment not working correctly. As I said, the mast is less than 100m from me, so on DC-HSDPA, that's why I get 20-30Mbps, but if HSPA+ was the only technology working on that mast, I would expect to get around 10-15Mbps. Unless I'm mistaken and it's not possible for them to be running both technologies off the same mast (i.e HSPA+ as a fallback if DC-HSDPA stops working).

I've called 3, and they've escalated it to level 2 technical support as they agreed they didn't think something was right.

P.S - To people saying I should be thankful, well really, I shouldn't. I've been running fine for ~3 weeks at full speed, so why should I be thankful I'm only getting half of that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I also forgot to mention that when visiting speedtest.net on my Macbook, it's not showing me as located in London anymore, it's showing me as actually being in the North West (on my iPhone it always showed North West due to GPS). This would suggest something has changed in terms of IPs/routes etc.

Wondered if that holds any information?
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HSPA+ is DC-HSDPA. It is also called HSPA 42+. There is also HSPA 21+. But it is good to know Three are looking into this for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies, I thought HSPA+ was up to 21Mbps only.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    Apologies, I thought HSPA+ was up to 21Mbps only.

It's no problem like I said it above depends on the variant of HSPA+ some is limited to 21 some is 42. The terms really get confusing from time to time. I believe AT&T still market HSPA 42+ / DC-HSDPA as 4G. Which is really confusing.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    P.S - To people saying I should be thankful, well really, I shouldn't. I've been running fine for ~3 weeks at full speed, so why should I be thankful I'm only getting half of that?

..and that's all good and everything, but you're getting 10Megs, which is about right for the technology. The fact you got better before is a bonus.

I don't know why you assume you'll get the fastest speeds just because you're close to the mast, while this will help, the mast also serves a large area and the amount of people using it reduces throughput for you. You don't get priority treatment for being closer, only less signal to noise ratio. By all means get them to look into it, but it is possible that some network reconfiguration has happened to increase the power at your cell, or move a cell slightly in order to improve coverage elsewhere, believe me this stuff really happens as they try and optimise the network for everybody and allow everyone good speeds.

10Meg is within spec, so there's not a lot you can do. It is far higher than most other 3G networks offer as they don't have dual carrier in most cases. Three even list 12 meg as the realistic speed for Dual Carrier on their website. If you're out of contract and need 30 megs, then you could go to EE's 4G service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoke to them again today, and they confirmed there was a problem with my mast over the weekend, and have asked me to try again tonight and they will call me again tomorrow. So far, it's not looking quite as good as it was.

It's almost as though someone has just switched of the DC-HSDPA. The speeds are so consistent throughout the whole day, I wouldn't have thought it was congestion, it's almost as though I'm running on HSPA21+ instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a weird one I checked the coverage map today. It finally shows on the map that area is now excellent advanced 3G coverage. [My Mast was upgraded 2-3 months back now can't remember exactly] But at the side it says No Coverage but on map it shows purple not white weird as hell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's not looking any better tonight so far, will see how it is later tonight, hopefully they'll get it sorted soon.

Just thankful our ADSL will be here shortly.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it may take them a few weeks if not a month
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it may take them a few weeks if not a month

Agreed there was a faulty mast in my area for 2-3 months before they had time to fix it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah well he said there was a problem over the weekend but it was corrected on Sunday so :S
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, they fixed it today.

Almost like they flicked a switch, everything is back to normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they fixed it today.

Almost like they flicked a switch, everything is back to normal.

That's not to unusual I often see glitches after they do weekend maintenance and normal service not fully resuming till monday/tuesday.