Dwts Week 3 Uktv - 04/04/08.

jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well I enjoyed it, not as good as last week I don't think but a nice overall fuzzy feeling was had ;).

Steve & Anna - much better than last week; improved a lot but unfortunately not enough. Still as gushing as ever though a bit too OTT for my taste but guess the Yanks love it.
Marlee & Fabian - A good jive but she did go a bit out of time, I find her a bit OTT as well tbh.
Christian & Cheryl - Much improved, he was quite sexy this week instead of a rabbit caught in the headlights. If he manages to stay in (it seems to be a bit of a popularity vote at the beginning) I think he could be a "Journeyman".
Shannon & Derek - I did not like this jive at all, she was very gangly for me but the judges seemed to love it!
Not enough kicks & flicks imo. Nice couple together though & she does not seem to have suffered the gorgeous, young model type fate of being unpopular like others similar in the past. (Maybe as an actress she has a larger fan base).
Adam & Julianne - He improved a lot too this week I actually did not cringe at his dancing, however his jokes are really pathetic. Maybe I just don't get the American sense of humour :confused:.
Priscilla & Louis - She is very good technically & her "shyness" seems to be thawing, in fact I'm quite warming to her & it seems she has a sense of humour too. Unfortuntely not warming to Louis & don't think there is any chemistry (maybe it's the age gap or could be he's in awe??).
Mario & Karina - Sorry I just don't like him, I know he's hot, young & good looking but he is too smug & comes across as conceited. Obviously from the last two weeks we know he can dance & has rhythmn but he was poor this week. Not having enough rehearsal shows. Felt sorry for Karina.
Marissa & Tony - This girl I want to shake, the judges were cruel & too blunt but they were right. She's got to throw off those inhibitions & strut her stuff. Felt sorry for Tony.
Jason & Edyta - Another one that got good marks & I was shocked as I thought it was boring. As per usual with Edyta's dances not enough substance & he is good so she does not have to make him a "pole". I could gaze in lust at his jaw line & muscles all night but unfortunately it is a dancing comp :o. Hated her dress - obviously it looked sexy & stunning on her but wth did it have to do with a jive???
Kristi & Mark - I just love watching these two dance, for me they are the cream of the crop. When she gets as good at the interpretation/emotion as she is technically there are gonna be some early 10's I'm predicting.
Results Show
I appreciated Julianne & Mark's show piece, it is so nice to see very young dancers doing contemporary on-trend stuff. I think our line-up in the UK needs some new, young blood tbh.
Was n't keen on the African-American number but could see it was well done, I loved the singing though.
Kylie looked good but was a tad off-key, hey at least she sang live however which is more than could be said for some!
I hoped it would be Steve or Adam evicted cos they are the weakest dancers imo. It's a shame cos Steve genuinely seemed to enjoy & love it but call me selfish I'd rather watch the naturally talented (in dance) ones, even if they don't come across as well personally. Mario was lucky, as later on in the comp' one little glitch like not rehearsing enough can loose you public sympathy & the vote.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Anyone else enjoyed the "MAN-GO" between Steve and Jonathan?! It was hilarious! I'm glad they did that on the results show for April Fools Day! :D
  • martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jacquiann wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed it, not as good as last week I don't think but a nice overall fuzzy feeling was had ;).
    Yes, an enjoyable 2 hours, but not quite as exiciting as the previous week.

Both Kristi and Shannon (highlights for me in the previous week) didn't seem to reach the same levels of excellence, for me, and there were also some disappointments (Julianne's make-up and dress).

Samantha had her hair done up. I liked that. Very classy, thought it suited her well.
    Marlee & Fabian - A good jive but she did go a bit out of time, I find her a bit OTT as well tbh.
    Marlee & Fabian
    I liked her performance, kick sequences were well synchronised.
    Steve & Anna - much better than last week; improved a lot but unfortunately not enough. Still as gushing as ever though a bit too OTT for my taste but guess the Yanks love it.
    Steve & Anna
    I liked the traditional music for this tango (jealousy), the music alone makes a big difference for me. I think this is a difficult dance for a man, without appearing squat and lumpy. I think Steve did a reasonable job.
    Christian & Cheryl - Much improved, he was quite sexy this week instead of a rabbit caught in the headlights. If he manages to stay in (it seems to be a bit of a popularity vote at the beginning) I think he could be a "Journeyman".
    Christian & Cheryl
    The pace of this jive seemed frenetic. He managed to keep up with it. It was a very energetic performance, even if he did crash into the stage lights at the end.
    Mario & Karina - Sorry I just don't like him, I know he's hot, young & good looking but he is too smug & comes across as conceited. Obviously from the last two weeks we know he can dance & has rhythm but he was poor this week. Not having enough rehearsal shows. Felt sorry for Karina.
    Mario & Karina
    I didn't care for Karina's outfit - seemed like a basque with frilly knickers, and leather boots. I expect she was meant to look like an Argentinian prostitute(?), but it didn't do much for me.

I did think Mario was very macho about the dance, and took the lead. I think he had the spirit of the dance, though maybe he lacked some finesse and technique.
    Shannon & Derek - I did not like this jive at all, she was very gangly for me but the judges seemed to love it!
    Not enough kicks & flicks imo. Nice couple together though & she does not seem to have suffered the gorgeous, young model type fate of being unpopular like others similar in the past. (Maybe as an actress she has a larger fan base).
    Shannon & Derek
    I really like this couple, and I enjoyed this performance. The pace was quite steady (so not too difficult to keep up with), and too many of the kicks were done high from the hip. Jive can be difficult for tall girls (Penny Lancaster).

I was surprised Shannon was so knackered that she had to sit down on the floor after just 90 seconds dacning (they were joking about her fitness last week).

It was nice of Tom to sit down on the floor with her.
    Adam & Julianne - He improved a lot too this week I actually did not cringe at his dancing, however his jokes are really pathetic. Maybe I just don't get the American sense of humour :confused:.
    Adam & Julianne
    Whatever happened to Julianne. She was wearing a chestnut-coloured wig, with chocolate lipstick, and her dress was a sort of patterned curtain material. I like to see a bit of Julianne's leg, and she was totally enveloped. Was this all meant to be some Adam-type joke. It was too subtle for me.

When they began, Julianne was sitting before the judges, apparently smiling up at Len, who seemd to have a huge grin (was this a ploy to get big marks). Then Adam jumped up from beind. Weird.

The choreography was quite innovative, and they covered the floor (but it wasn't the sort of performace I usually like to see from Julianne.

I thought his dead-pan humour about the tango and the Mormon was funny.
    Marissa & Tony - This girl I want to shake, the judges were cruel & too blunt but they were right. She's got to throw off those inhibitions & strut her stuff. Felt sorry for Tony.
    Marissa & Tony
    Marissa seems quite light on her feet, and did a decent rhythmic performance, though it wasn't very stretching. She seems to take criticism to heart a bit too much.

Her weight around her hips requires a bit more attention to the type of costumes that she wears, and this one wasn't very flattering. That diamond-patterned 60's jumper that Tony was wearing was awful too (from the same wardrobe as Julianne's dress?).
    Priscilla & Louis
    - She is very good technically & her "shyness" seems to be thawing, in fact I'm quite warming to her & it seems she has a sense of humour too. Unfortuntely not warming to Louis & don't think there is any chemistry (maybe it's the age gap or could be he's in awe??).
    Priscilla & Louis
    A traditional tango, well performed. I think the tango storyline suits the more mature woman too. High marks and well deserved.
    Jason & Edyta - Another one that got good marks & I was shocked as I thought it was boring. As per usual with Edyta's dances not enough substance & he is good so she does not have to make him a "pole". I could gaze in lust at his jaw line & muscles all night but unfortunately it is a dancing comp :o. Hated her dress - obviously it looked sexy & stunning on her but wth did it have to do with a jive???
    Jason & Edyta
    A fairly steady-paced jive, and not too challenging. Competent. (Though I didn't think it was that much better than Marissa's, which got panned).
    Kristi & Mark - I just love watching these two dance, for me they are the cream of the crop.

When she gets as good at the interpretation/emotion as she is technically there are gonna be some early 10's I'm predicting.
    Kristi & Mark
    The music this pair was dancing to (Rio Rio) was totally inappropriate, and didn't generate a tango atmosphere for me. The dance was competent, but I didn't find Kristi's performance as exciting as last week.
    Results Show
    I appreciated Julianne & Mark's show piece, it is so nice to see very young dancers doing contemporary on-trend stuff. I think our line-up in the UK needs some new, young blood tbh.
    Was n't keen on the African-American number but could see it was well done, I loved the singing though. Kylie looked good but was a tad off-key, hey at least she sang live however which is more than could be said for some!
    Results Show
    I thought Kylie's first performance was very weak. You could scarcely hear the words. It seemed very bland. I read in a news article last week that Kylie was using this appearance to try to break into the US market, which has eluded her so far. She'll need to do a lot better than this.

The negro dance number didn't do anything for me. It seemed like the sort of alternative dance style that you might see on You Think You Can Dance, but it would have been done far better by the performers on there.

Kylie's 2nd performance had the benefit of Julianne and Mark. This is how we like to see Julianne.
    airneri wrote: »
    Anyone else enjoyed the "MAN-GO" between Steve and Jonathan?! It was hilarious! I'm glad they did that on the results show for April Fools Day! :D
    I didn't care for the Man-Go.

Yes, it was telvised on April Fools Day. I didn't know whether Aprils Fools Day was celebrated in the US.

I was fascinated by the "Stars' secrets" item - the one which began with showing Marlee being a part-time cop, and saying that being deaf was an advantage because she could lip-read. I thought "wow, really".

I think the sequence started to become unbelievable when we saw Christian with his pet otter, which was obviously filmed at the same sea-park that he'd visited with Cheryl. Ah!

Was the Dr Pepper personality matching sketch a wind-up too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone - thought I would come and join you.

I really am enjoying this season a lot - there's a really nice vibe about it - sad that the Gut has gone, I know he's quite a weak dancer - but he adds a lot to the show.

I really enjoy Adam Corolla's jokes actually - think he's hilarious and a great counterpoint to all the niceness! In a way that Penn's just fell flat, Adam's are hilarious!

Marisa has completely grown on me, and I think the judges were overly critical of her. (I always think its unfair when the judges are critical of the dance content itself for any couple - cos thats not actually the stars' fault is it?) I thought T&M's dance was in keeping with the music and was ok. Yes maybe she was being careful, but it didn't deserve the harshness (imho!). And costume-wise I agree - nobody did her any favours.

All in all its shaping up to be really a brilliant season - DWTS gets better and better. (And I'm not even missing Max anymore!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    :o the title of my post was so terribly typed- sorry! am rushingcos FA cup semi about to start :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Steve & Anna - Did better than last week but it looked like he wanted to burst out with laughter during the dance. I noticed Anna smiling a few times throughout aswell. Steve's "the world is a good place and we're so lucky" attitude is starting to wear a bit thin already.
    Marlee & Fabian - Fabian is doing a fantastic job with her and although I don't think the dance was great, she did a good job. I can see her being in the competition for awhile and while I don't want to sound too discriminatory, I think she will be getting the sympathy vote for awhile.
    Christian & Cheryl - I had to watch this dance through my fingers. Christian is clunky and chunky and I thought that his dance was very poor. My eyes were drawn to his whenever I did watch and they were akin to Jack Nicolson in The Shining. (his, not mine!)
    Shannon & Derek - I quite liked this jive, although I'm probably a bit biased as I love Derek. I think Shannon is going to gain more and more votes due to her vulnerability. How can anyone that stunning lack so much confidence! Derek always seems to work well with his partner and chooses choreography that highlights his partners strengths. I expect alot from them as weeks go on.
    Adam & Julianne - He looked improved from last week, but I expect that it was because he really didn't do alot apart from prop up Julianne when needed. I don't mind his humour at all.
    Priscilla & Louis - She seems to be pushing too hard and comes across a little desperate. I think she was quite good but did seem to lose the dance half way through. I can't really say much else as I just can't take to her and as an afterthought her dance wasn't really that memorable.
    Mario & Karina - I agree with the smugness!! I think he's going to go a long way though if he puts the training hours in. I quite enjoyed the tango and even liked the song. Mario and Karina didn't always seem in sync throughout the dance though which I found suprising as I think out of all the couples they have the most chemistry.
    Marissa & Tony - I'm bewildered by Marissa. She's a broadway singer and dancer but to look at her you'd think she has never set foot on a dance floor before. Her dance was without doubt the weakest of the night and it looked as though she was struggling to even get her foot off the floor. I can't take to Tony either...
    Jason & Edyta - Edyta, as usual, choreographed a routine that was all about her. I think Jason is going to be a contender though as the comp goes on. He's got potential, it's just whether Edyta can do anything with it. Jason is also very easy on the eye which always helps!
    Kristi & Mark - Technically they are the best in the competition and big kudos to Mark (my other favourite pro) for showing his teaching skills again. The music was probably the worst I've heard since Christians Superman theme tune! I think they both showed the correct emotion but it wasn't connected to each other. I hope they can get that connection on the dance floor as they seem to show off the floor as they will then be unstoppable.
    Results Show
    I made a cup of coffee whilst the african/american number was on, so I can't comment there.
    It was great to see Julianne and Mark do something more contemporary to Kylie, especially seeing as though the choreography was changed 20 minutes before they had to actually dance. I would have liked to have seen them do more of the paso throughout as that really worked well. I missed seeing Derek joining them and hope his neck is better next week.

I forgot about the Mango! I can't believe that they kept a straight face for so long. It was very funny indeed.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I thought Mario was reaally good again last night, especially his timing and head movements. Not sure what problems there were supposed to have been with his posture or steps, although I am not a technical expert. However I do suspect the judges wanted to rap his knuckles a bit for foregoing training in favour of album PR.

Marissa seemed to give a very reserved performance, perhaps she did not want to seem too manic in the jive, she might feel she can't do right for wrong, but sadly for me she would have been the one to go.

I felt bad for Steve going, I know his personality is a bit OTT, but he was improving, and entertaining.

Adam did improve and I am sure Julianne fans will be rewarding her efforts with him by keeping them in.

I am still not enjoying Kristian, I think he is still showing too much from the shoulders and upper arms.

Jason's jive seemed more like a jitterbug to me, but he and Shannon were always going to struggle with it because they're tall and leggy, although Shannon put lots of energy in.

At this point Priscilla is very good technically, not far behind Kristi, but Priscilla has the edge on performance level. Marlee isn't far behind them but I think she might suffer with timing issues that they don't have to face.

Enjoyed all the interlude performances for reasons others have given. :)
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    Steve & Anna - I'll miss the Gutt! Loved the tango music and it really was his best dance - at least he left on a high!

Marlee & Fabian - I like Marlee's vulnerability but didn't particularly like her jive last night. But I'd like to see her do a few more ballroom dances.

Christian & Cheryl - I didn't like Christian's jive at all, I thought he was way overmarked even by DWTS standards.

Shannon & Derek - she struggled a bit with the jive but as a fellow tall person, I empathise. I like her and I she's one of my faves at the moment.

Adam & Julianne - I like Julianne and want to see more of her in the competition, but I can't take to Adam at all. I think they have zero chemistry and one can see why! And we all know she's 19, how many more times is he going to remind us of this?

Priscilla & Louis - Her face scares me and I can't take to her. Her tango was very good but I thought the judges were too gushing.

Mario & Karina - I don't see the smugness others do; I think he's really sweet! Another early fave of mine. Their tango was a bit untidy but I really enjoyed it.

Marissa & Tony - she really struggled last night; she's the one I felt should have gone. She needs to have words with the costume people!

Jason & Edyta - I hope Jason goes the whole hog just for his gorgeousness, but I didn't enjoy his jive last night. For someone that tall he was always going to struggle. Still one of my faves.

Kristi & Mark - she is technically the best but i can't take to her. Maybe because I feel she's at an advantage. I have a feeling we may see an unexpected Sabrina-esque early departure...

Results Show - Kylie was awful, that lass can't sing for toffee. I enjoyed Julianne and Mark, the african american dance was OK-ish, but the Mango was the highlight of the result show. Imagine James Jordan and Kenny Logan doing that on Strictly!
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

Great reports - thanks for doing them as I love to read them!

The only point I'd like to put forward is that I did wonder if Marissa was uncomfortable about her costume which was just awful IMHO and the bouncy style of the jive.

I know she is famous for celebrating her size, but I did feel she might not be comfortable showing so much leg, etc. and bouncing around in the jive. As a big girl myself I'm well aware there is a big difference between showing a lot of flesh and having it bouncing around. Just a thought. :)
  • jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only point I'd like to put forward is that I did wonder if Marissa was uncomfortable about her costume which was just awful IMHO and the bouncy style of the jive.

I know she is famous for celebrating her size, but I did feel she might not be comfortable showing so much leg, etc. and bouncing around in the jive. As a big girl myself I'm well aware there is a big difference between showing a lot of flesh and having it bouncing around. Just a thought. :)

Yes I must admit I did wonder if she was self-conscious about her size but she does seem to "celebrate" it as you say. I did not like to bring it up originally cos I used to be big & felt the opposite to how she comes across :o.
    Admittedly I was much bigger than her but I would not have been seen dead in that costume (even now at a size 10 I'd be saying "disgrace - I'm not putting it on" :eek:) however I think she still looked quite sexy actually in her cute way. The skirt definately was too short tho.
  • LilystarLilystar Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Steve & Anna – Definitely his best dance, but I’m really not surprised he went. The whole ‘I’m so happy to be here’ thing was just getting annoying, and I think he’s probably gone more for that reason than because of the dancing. Good on him for going out and doing the man-go with Jonathan though!

Marlee & Fabian – I thought this was a good solid performance – not spectacular, but this would probably have been one of the hardest dances for Marlee – the judges are so hot on the sharpness, and the jive is unforgiving for any tiny mistakes or timing issues, so I’m glad she got through it as well as she did.

Christian & Cheryl – I really liked this dance, although I did watch through my fingers the first time as it seemed really close to the line between fantastic and ‘big old mess’. I think he’s improved a lot from the first week, but I think he may fare better in the more controlled dances now, as this was very close to wild!

Shannon & Derek – Did a lot better than I expected – like someone else said, it’s not a great dance for tall girls, and I did kind of expect it to look a bit like Penny Lancaster, but she pulled it off well, and she’s coming across as a very nice person, which I think is going to keep her in for a good few weeks.

Adam & Julianne – Ok, he was better this week, but that was mostly because he didn’t have to do anything difficult. If I had a choice I’d have lost him before Steve because he comes across as very irritating, and his voice really grates on me. He’ll be lucky to last more than another two weeks unless someone really messes up.

Priscilla & Louis – Tango was a fantastic dance for her because I didn’t notice her face at all. I think she’s doing a great job, and I also think her and Louis perform great together, although I know I’m in a bit of a minority there!

Mario & Karina – Still not doing anything for me, and I can’t remember a single thing about the routine now (I only watched it last night btw). Probably the judges were a bit harsh but I think that was mostly a slap for slacking off. Anyway, not fussed about this couple but I expect them to stick around for a few more weeks.

Marissa & Tony – Yes, the costume was nasty, but I really have not taken to her, or to Tony. Wouldn’t be surprised if she’s next out – I think it will depend on who has the bigger support base out of her and Adam!

Jason & Edyta – Not his best dance, but still pretty good for such a tall guy. I’d happily watch him stand on the stage and do nothing for 90 seconds, but that’s just me (oh, yeah and the girls I work with too!). I hadn’t noticed that Edyta particularly gives routines that show her off more than the celeb, and if she does, I don’t think she’s the worst offender, but will be interested to see what they come up with for next week.

Kristi & Mark – Still leaving me cold despite being very good technically – I think maybe it’s too good, if that makes any sense. I don’t really see that she can improve that much and it’s not that entertaining to watch. Maybe she’ll start to struggle when they go to two dances a week, although the Sabrina-style upset would be a good twist……

Results show – not a Kylie fan, so that didn’t do much for me, the man-go was great (and yeah, I think we’d all pay to see Kenny and James do that one), and Julianne and Mark were fantastic, a very good showcase of their talents.