Options

Glasgow 2014

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I've booked a hotel in Edinburgh. It's quite expensive at more than £100 per night but I can cancel up to 14 days before for no fee so will keep looking for something cheaper.

I haven't booked anything yet but I'm also thinking of stopping in Edinburgh. The flights from London will be cheaper too. It's a good idea to get something which can be cancelled in case prices do drop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plans to demolish tower blocks has been scrapped:
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/apr/13/plan-demolish-tower-block-commonwealth-games-opening-ceremony-scrapped

Shame! It would certainly have been something different. So, it's "insensitive to former residents and to the asylum seekers". Oh, OK, then... I wasn't aware that the blocks where going to be occupied during the demolition.
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just 100 days to go.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I haven't booked anything yet but I'm also thinking of stopping in Edinburgh. The flights from London will be cheaper too. It's a good idea to get something which can be cancelled in case prices do drop.

I was up in Edinburgh last weekend for the first time and I'm really glad I picked a hotel there. I have tickets for gymnastics on Wednesday and then closing ceremony on Sunday so if I do go for both, I can hang out in Edinburgh in the days in between. I walked past the hotel I have booked and it's right near Waverley station, and a train will be just under an hour to Glasgow from there so very convenient.

I'm seriously thinking of selling tickets for one event though so I don't have to stay for 5 nights, but I can't decide between gymnastics and closing ceremony! :S
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm seriously thinking of selling tickets for one event though so I don't have to stay for 5 nights, but I can't decide between gymnastics and closing ceremony! :S

I've also got a ticket I will probably need to sell. I have a few events of the weekend of 26/27 July and then one on the 2nd Aug. I doubt I will be able to justify the cost of travelling up again just for one event. I haven't heard anything yet about resale opportunities. The website just says "Glasgow 2014 may open an official ticket resale platform in 2014".
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Plans to demolish tower blocks has been scrapped:
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/apr/13/plan-demolish-tower-block-commonwealth-games-opening-ceremony-scrapped

Shame! It would certainly have been something different. So, it's "insensitive to former residents and to the asylum seekers". Oh, OK, then... I wasn't aware that the blocks where going to be occupied during the demolition.

Glad its been scrapped didnt think it was appropriate for an opening ceremony
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've also got a ticket I will probably need to sell. I have a few events of the weekend of 26/27 July and then one on the 2nd Aug. I doubt I will be able to justify the cost of travelling up again just for one event. I haven't heard anything yet about resale opportunities. The website just says "Glasgow 2014 may open an official ticket resale platform in 2014".

Yes, I just assumed it would be the same as the Olympics. I wonder if they will do an ID check as they didn't when I was at the Olympics.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another 100,000 tickets are going on sale across all sports on 12th May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27254568
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up Tiger Rose!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waiting in a "more than 60 minutes" queue...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a six hour wait (!) I managed to secure tickets for two athletics sessions and badminton finals!

So I now have:
    Wednesday evening: Gymnastics ladies final
    Thursday evening: Athletics (200m final)
    Saturday evening: Athletics (relay finals)
    Sunday daytime: Badminton finals
    Sunday evening: Closing ceremony

As I can't really afford to stay 5 nights, I think I may sell my Wednesday and Thursday tickets and just stay for the weekend. The official twitter account said there will be a resale platform open in June so I will use that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I can't really afford to stay 5 nights, I think I may sell my Wednesday and Thursday tickets and just stay for the weekend. The official twitter account said there will be a resale platform open in June so I will use that.

That's good news as I have some tickets that I won't be able to use.

I have a full set of events for the weekend of 26 and 27 though I still haven't decided about the travel and accommodation options as the logistics are quite complex. I was hoping to be ablte to fly up from Stansted or Luton or the Friday evening and then back on the Sunday night but I have tickets for the Sunday evening which don't finish until quite late. I'd rather not have to pay for 3 nights accommodation so I may have to look at driving up to Glasgow then driving back on the Sunday night.
  • Options
    The NaitchThe Naitch Posts: 10,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in the queue for over SEVEN hours today. Crazy.

When I did get through I finally got swimming tickets that I couldn't get in the original ballot as well as seats at the closing ceremony. Chuffed with that.
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still waiting in the more than 60 minute queue

as i am a clyde sider had to wait until i had shifts to commit to tickets
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After being in the queue for about four hours this evening, I've finally just got tickets for the mens singles and doubles Badminton final and a couple of other Badminton sessions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to get on this morning after *only* an hour wait and was able to pick up some boxing tickets. There seems to be plenty of tickets left for rugby, badminton and bowls. Almost nothing for swimming or cycling.

Just need to sort out the travel and accommodation now...
  • Options
    cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got tickets in the original ballot and started looking for accomodation straightwaway. It soon became clear that there was nothing close to Glasgow that wasn't extortionate, and I decided i wasn't brave enough to wait it out until closer to the time in the hope that prices would come down.

So we have turned it into a week's holiday in self catering instead - our events are on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday so they fit nicely into the week, with the added bonus that we will be going to the St Andrew's Highland games on Sunday 27th too.
    We're staying in Crieff, it wasn't particularly cheap but i'm very pleased with it, and really looking forward to having a week in Scotland, i really love it up there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The accommodation situation is looking ridiculous. Even the Premier Inns are £180 a night. Looks I may have to drive up and sleep in my car.

I was hoping to get away with 2 nights but it's now looking like I will have to stop for 3. There's no way I'm going to pay close on £600 just for somewhere to sleep. I could get a decent holiday in the sun for that money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I got lucky as I got accommodation very centrally in Edinburgh for about £100 per night. If I stay only 2 nights, that's still over £300 on flights and accommodation! :eek: I haven't booked my flights yet.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting a little worried about the accommodation prices. Booked the flights ages ago & booked them for Glasgow so really want to stay in Glasgow area. Starting to think I should have driven up there & kipped in the car.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I'm getting a little worried about the accommodation prices. Booked the flights ages ago & booked them for Glasgow so really want to stay in Glasgow area. Starting to think I should have driven up there & kipped in the car.

Have you looked at airbnb.com?

The prices are still higher than normal but through this site I got a great apartment just outside Glasgow for £75 a night for 3 nights during the games. And only a month ago as they keep putting new ones on all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Can I ask why people are booking accommodation in Edinburgh? It is far more expensive than Glasgow, as is the travel
  • Options
    cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask why people are booking accommodation in Edinburgh? It is far more expensive than Glasgow, as is the travel

I did look in Glasgow but the prices were ridiculous. We would have needed minimum 3, more realistically 4 nights and I can't remember the hotel prices but they were very very high. The self-catering accomodation we have in Crieff is £600 for 7 nights, split between 2 of us, and even allowing for the travel costs of getting to Glasgow for 3 days it just seems much better value, with the added bonus of it meaning we won't have eat out all the time because we have a kitchen, also saving money.

The self catering accomodation closer to Glasgow wasn't suitable for us so we decided we were happy making the journey for the three days we have tickets for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't booked anything yet but my research so far is showing Glasgow is more expensive than Edinburgh during the Games - although you do have to fact in the additional time and transport costs into Glasgow.

I'm still hoping prices are going to come down. I'm prepared to pay £100 a night for somewhere central but once it gets much higher than that then the whole trip start to become hard to justify.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    cas116 wrote: »
    I did look in Glasgow but the prices were ridiculous. We would have needed minimum 3, more realistically 4 nights and I can't remember the hotel prices but they were very very high. The self-catering accomodation we have in Crieff is £600 for 7 nights, split between 2 of us, and even allowing for the travel costs of getting to Glasgow for 3 days it just seems much better value, with the added bonus of it meaning we won't have eat out all the time because we have a kitchen, also saving money.

The self catering accomodation closer to Glasgow wasn't suitable for us so we decided we were happy making the journey for the three days we have tickets for.
    I haven't booked anything yet but my research so far is showing Glasgow is more expensive than Edinburgh during the Games - although you do have to fact in the additional time and transport costs into Glasgow.

I'm still hoping prices are going to come down. I'm prepared to pay £100 a night for somewhere central but once it gets much higher than that then the whole trip start to become hard to justify.

Oh Man!! Talk about cashing in, Im ashamed of my city at times like these :blush:
    Im secretly thinking where I can go for a couple of weeks in the summer and let out my house at an extortionate rate :D