Three - LTE - 4G Signal Rollout

Comments

• wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 barely have 3G vanilla let alone DC. They have had to get in with Vodafone to improve thier signal and even to be able to roll out 4G.

O2 were actually first to deploy DC-HSPA 42 in the UK from May 2012 and cover 90% of the UK population with 900/2100MHz UMTS. All of the operators are starting with coverage in major cities for DC-HSPA although Vodafone's version only delivers up to 28.8Mbps, the rest have opted for the 42Mbps variant. As for the share with Vodafone...... makes sense as EE share with 3 and that has been how both of them have been able to increase the coverage of their network by sharing infrastructure!

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/o2-uk-rolling-out-fastest-current-flavour-of-3g-50007954/
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It works ok for me, I've only tried 3 postcodes with DC-HSPA avaliable in 2
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    It works ok for me, I've only tried 3 postcodes with DC-HSPA avaliable in 2

I'm getting great speeds on Three with DC HSPA at work - regularly seeing 15Mbps +. I tried a speed test on a moving train yesterday and still got over 12 down. Whilst LTE might be nice, I don't know if I'd bother if it cost extra, because these 3G speeds are so good right now!
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    O2 were actually first to deploy DC-HSPA 42 in the UK from May 2012 and cover 90% of the UK population with 900/2100MHz UMTS. All of the operators are starting with coverage in major cities for DC-HSPA although Vodafone's version only delivers up to 28.8Mbps, the rest have opted for the 42Mbps variant. As for the share with Vodafone...... makes sense as EE share with 3 and that has been how both of them have been able to increase the coverage of their network by sharing infrastructure!

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/o2-uk-rolling-out-fastest-current-flavour-of-3g-50007954/

Here we go again!

Bit in bold, do they hell!! Apart from major cities, in my extensive tour of the UK in recent weeks 3G is absolutely non existent.

I find it absolutely unbelievable that, when i was in Rhodes in June and October, every single place i went i had H+ on my phone from Cosmote.....Now if they can do it, why cant O2?
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    O2 were actually first to deploy DC-HSPA 42 in the UK from May 2012 and cover 90% of the UK population with 900/2100MHz UMTS.

Orange had a higher % coverage before the merge than O2
    Three & T-Mobile had a higher % coverage than O2 before MBNL. 90% is rubbish coverage quite frankly so please stop repeating it.

I never said O2 didn't have DC coverage, i said they can barely roll out a reliable, fast, good coverage standard 3G... 900 3G again has barely changed the game when you have so little 3G masts that they become overwhelmed by the usage on the LIMITED frequency slots O2 are using and start reducing the coverage range.

Simply put O2 3G covers up to 5.6 MILLION less people than Three or EE.

So what is the DC O2 coverage % ????????????
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 - Ordered by Ofcom to get to 80% or get fined a few years ago, only reached 90% a decade after the technology was born and way behind their competitors on coverage, speeds and reliability.

Does this DC coverage show up on the O2 map Wave? or any quotes on how much they have rolled out, because if they had done a lot they'd be telling us. I suspect like the rest of the 3G rollout O2 is well behind the rest unless of course you can show us otherwise? can you?
    Forum Member
    According to the checker. Three has NO DC-HSDPA in the cities of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth or Inverness. With the first two i used about 20 postcodes covering the whole of each city.

So can i conclude in saying Three have no DC-HSDPA in Scotland? Yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 have got DC-HSPA in Scotland as my postcode in Renfrewshire comes up with "Great news.
    You're in an area with Ultrafast Internet. Your experience may vary depending on your exact location."

Another case of non existent coverage where there is some! 2+2 = 5!!

I bet there are lots of areas in the cities in Scotland that have coverage from 3 and others with DC-HSPA, We even have LTE locally from EE!

Here is an interesting portion of an article about 3G coverage published in June 2012 (Link below).

"Another recent study by Ofcom explored the amount of complaints (relative to the amount of customers) received by the major network providers in 2011. Three stands out as the most complained about network, followed by Orange, who saw their customers’ dissatisfaction rise sharply in the final quarter of 2011. O2 were complained about surprisingly little all year!

Okay, we’re aware this isn’t an exact science when it comes to measuring signal coverage. Those complaints could have been about anything! Equally, don’t judge the networks too harshly on this information. It’s possible that one network with a higher amount of complaints could be very good at solving the issues, and perhaps another with a lower amount of complaints might not be. Get me? However, it’s worth bearing in mind that signal quality is quite a common cause for complaint. If O2 have only a few upset customers, they must be getting something right signal-wise. Right?"

It goes on to discuss recent service issues with O2 but I'm pleased to see others coming to the same realistic conclusion about coverage where it matters!

http://gadgetnode.com/which-network-has-the-best-signal-coverage-in-the-uk/
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    The reason threads go off-topic is because Wavejock seemingly doesn't have the ba**s to answer questions put to him regarding O2's lack of 3G coverage compared to the other three networks, along with questions put to him regarding their laughable outages earlier in the year. He'd get a much easier time, and probably more respect, on here if he actually answered the questions rather than trotting out the O2 PR stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    The reason threads go off-topic is because Wavejock seemingly doesn't have the ba**s to answer questions put to him regarding O2's lack of 3G coverage compared to the other three networks, along with questions put to him regarding their laughable outages earlier in the year. He'd get a much easier time, and probably more respect, on here if he actually answered the questions rather than trotting out the O2 PR stuff.

Thank-you for your concern......

The outages and those of other networks reported on this forum recently did not affect me as I was out of the UK. I was not posting anything here for a while although I note it has been mentioned that I was being stalked by certain attention seekers who stated that I logged in to check some articles on the radio forum. I'm flattered that my activity here seems to be so important a factor in some peoples lives! All networks have outages of various durations and coverage, such is the nature of the wireless business. Of course they are all bad news and not good for customers or for the companies involved but it's only forum posters who gloat over technical issues as the networks themselves know that they will probably suffer some issue at some stage. None are 100% reliable. The same anti-O2 brigade will post every negative they can come up with, meanwhile the company keeps on posting record numbers of users! That must be vary frustrating when such effort has been made to damage their business reputation on here!
    Forum Member

The outages and those of other networks reported on this forum recently did not affect me as I was out of the UK. I was not posting anything here for a while although I note it has been mentioned that I was being stalked by certain attention seekers who stated that I logged in to check some articles on the radio forum. I'm flattered that my activity here seems to be so important a factor in some peoples lives! All networks have outages of various durations and coverage, such is the nature of the wireless business. Of course they are all bad news and not good for customers or for the companies involved but it's only forum posters who gloat over technical issues as the networks themselves know that they will probably suffer some issue at some stage. None are 100% reliable. The same anti-O2 brigade will post every negative they can come up with, meanwhile the company keeps on posting record numbers of users! That must be vary frustrating when such effort has been made to damage their business on here!

No network has ever had the outages or unreliability O2 has.

Its nothing to do with being anti o2. We are talking facts here. I use O2 and while they provide decent value, they are useless 3g wise and reliability wise.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member

The outages and those of other networks reported on this forum recently did not affect me as I was out of the UK. I was not posting anything here for a while although I note it has been mentioned that I was being stalked by certain attention seekers who stated that I logged in to check some articles on the radio forum. I'm flattered that my activity here seems to be so important a factor in some peoples lives! All networks have outages of various durations and coverage, such is the nature of the wireless business. Of course they are all bad news and not good for customers or for the companies involved but it's only forum posters who gloat over technical issues as the networks themselves know that they will probably suffer some issue at some stage. None are 100% reliable. The same anti-O2 brigade will post every negative they can come up with, meanwhile the company keeps on posting record numbers of users! That must be vary frustrating when such effort has been made to damage their business on here!
    I can't remember outages on the scale of O2's (national), though. That's not 'anti-O2', that's a fact. And it isn't just forum members going on about it. I seem to remember the O2 outage in July was the top story on Both Sky News and BBC News for hours. That outage was about a day and a half, right?

I'd expect more complaints about Three's data network anyway, given that they deal with about 50% of all mobile data, is that right? As we've seen this week, O2 aren't replacing falling calls/texts numbers with data, so aren't likely to receive similar numbers of complaints given that so few of their customers are using the network for large amounts of data.

I'd also suggest that they're better at 'sweetening' their customers with offers/discounts so they don't go badgering Ofcom. If that's their strategy, then fair enough. It obviously works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I use O2 and while they provide decent value, they are useless 3g wise and reliability wise.

Why remain with them? There are plenty of alternatives. Can't understand why anyone would keep paying for no coverage where they need it and what they consider to be an unreliable service. It does not make sense!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    I'd expect more complaints about Three's data network anyway, given that they deal with about 50% of all mobile data, is that right? As we've seen this week, O2 aren't replacing falling calls/texts numbers with data, so aren't likely to receive similar numbers of complaints given that so few of their customers are using the network for large amounts of data.

3 claim to carry 43% of UK mobile data but they have sold many dongles which are used as alternatives to fixed line broadband so they will have a much higher data consumption than networks primarily servicing smartphones.

The complaints are not all about data though as many people still use voice and text. Complaints were about mobile service providers and could have been about anything. Point is that per 1000 customers 3 have come out poorly since the surveys were published, O2 have always been the sector leader for least complaints so they must be doing something right! The outages might inspire O2 customers to complain but we shall have to wait and see what the next survey reveals. There is a first time for everything! Oh and do they deserve complaints for technical issues that cause problems for users.... of course they do but I suspect the potential loss of customers to others would have been more threatening to them than their survey record.
    Forum Member
    Why remain with them? There are plenty of alternatives. Can't understand why anyone would keep paying for no coverage where they need it and what they consider to be an unreliable service. It does not make sense!

Because I'm in contract perhaps? How is that hard to understand?

In Jan they are being ditched for another network.
    Forum Member
    Just tried about 50 PA "Renfrewshire" postcodes.. none said that Three have DC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tried about 50 PA "Renfrewshire" postcodes.. none said that Three have DC.

Mine does though....... so do lots of others!

Try PA8 7AA (Morrison's Store) and it gets Ultrafast coverage too!

Or try PA15 1LE (Tesco Extra Greenock) - it has Ultrafast coverage too!

Or G52 3QA (Tesco Cardonald Glasgow) - it has Ultrafast also!
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orange had a higher % coverage before the merge than O2
    Three & T-Mobile had a higher % coverage than O2 before MBNL. 90% is rubbish coverage quite frankly so please stop repeating it.

According to Google, 3 hit 90% in 2007. O2 has only just managed that 5 years later. 3 must now be on what, 98%.

I don't know why wavejock persists in his constant beatification of that tired, low quality network.

I'm not even sure if I believe O2's claimed 90%. It's about 5% around here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    According to Google, 3 hit 90% in 2007. O2 has only just managed that 5 years later. 3 must now be on what, 98%.

Ha Ha Ha...... selective belief depending on which company a statement applies to!

Love it!

Meanwhile www.reviewcentre.com has plenty of disgruntled customers still posting complaints about 'Britain's Biggest 3G network', coverage!

I'm sure lots get good coverage from 3 and so do millions on O2 the pity is the exaggeration some post here and most of it is supposition!

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews12640.html
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »

I don't know why wavejock persists in his constant beatification of that tired, low quality network.

Says everything you need to know about 3's enthusiasm for ensuring that customers get good coverage. On the other hand it also shows O2 really don't care :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Says everything you need to know about 3's enthusiasm for ensuring that customers get good coverage. On the other hand it also shows O2 really don't care :mad:

Well if not caring makes you the single most successful network in the UK with the most satisfied customers who make the least complaints to Ofcom then perhaps that is the best business strategy......:rolleyes:

Spending lots on coverage and little on customer care has not exactly been a strategy for success for 3 UK as the responses on reviewcentre.com confirm.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Company haters really are in every pocket of industry aren't they! Why do people hate three? :confused:
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if not caring makes you the single most successful network in the UK with the most satisfied customers who make the least complaints to Ofcom then perhaps that is the best business strategy......:rolleyes:

Spending lots on coverage and little on customer care has not exactly been a strategy for success for 3 UK as the responses on reviewcentre.com confirm.

Yes 3's customer service is poor. But they have at least had invested in building a 3G network from scratch and getting good coverage far better than O2 who should have been ahead of 3 to be honest.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Ultrafast cover in my part of London. also tried WC2H 7RR in the West End and not there either.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha Ha Ha...... selective belief depending on which company a statement applies to!

Love it!

Meanwhile www.reviewcentre.com has plenty of disgruntled customers still posting complaints about 'Britain's Biggest 3G network', coverage!

I'm sure lots get good coverage from 3 and so do millions on O2 the pity is the exaggeration some post here and most of it is supposition!

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews12640.html

I don't deny that there are perceived coverage issues - probably from the shoddy 2G roaming (where it still exists) meaning that calls can drop when the switch happens - because despite being the 3G coverage leader there are still blackspots. For that reason I use T-Mobile because they offer the best deal for me coupled with the same high quality 3G network + seamless 2G roaming.

However, O2's 3G coverage is demonstrably far worse - it's just that people don't notice because they have seamless 2G roaming (for whatever that's worth). I refer to my point about the woman on the train with an O2 iPhone - she had no idea what 2G/3G/etc mean and that her internet is just slow. My EE phone reported a full 3G signal in the same place. This would not appear on your beloved complaints statistics because a) she didn't know that she should complain and b) the phone still works, just slowly.

Notice how I am willing to admit that 3 is not perfect, it's a shame that you are not able to do the same for O2 and still repeat the same tired broken record full of misinformation and spin to defend what is the lowest quality network in the UK.