Options

Price Drop has been advising Freeview viewers to retune on 31 March 2014.

Comments

• Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked my EPG, it seems to show that from next week, Shop with BID will broadcast between 0800 till 01:00 & Price Drop/Best Of Bid will operate between 07:45 & 01:30 with teleshopping through the night.

Presume the channels may be swapping MUX, perhaps so that Wales will see the main channel ie: Shop with BID rather than Price Drop/Best of BID.

Are the channels keeping the same hours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked my EPG, it seems to show that from next week, Shop with BID will broadcast between 0800 till 01:00 & Price Drop/Best Of Bid will operate between 07:45 & 01:30 with teleshopping through the night.

Presume the channels may be swapping MUX, perhaps so that Wales will see the main channel ie: Shop with BID rather than Price Drop/Best of BID.

Also will this free up space for new channels?
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have all the shopping channels deleted. Yet bid on 23 has reappered. Does this mean something is replacing it?.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have all the shopping channels deleted. Yet bid on 23 has reappered. Does this mean something is replacing it?.....

When did this happen it odd for any changes to take place on a friday night.
  • Options
    stuharris63stuharris63 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »
    Also will this free up space for new channels?

Wouldn't have thought so, my thought is that they want Shop on Bid seen all over (for it new commercial backers presumably), hence the improvement and its cheaper alternative, Price Drop dropped in Wales.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did this happen it odd for any changes to take place on a friday night.

This morning
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EPG data doesn't always reflect any changes and it isn't unusual for the EPG to carry listings for periods where channels are only available on other platforms. It's better to proceed with caution and not draw too many conclusions from EPG listings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the LCN names will changes?
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    epsilon wrote: »
    Indeed but the retune event on freeview could still simply be switching LCNs. In this case, not between the channels but between multiplexes.
    You mean the channels are swapping streams or multiplex slots. LCN switches makes me think that bid is moving to 37 and vice versa. Freeview advise me that local TV is staying on ch.26 in Wales, so 23 might re-appear in Wales today.

----

If you're in Wales, do keep us in the loop as to what happens!
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    You mean the channels are swapping streams or multiplex slots.

I was saying that it is possible that a switch between multiplexes could happen. As far as the general public is concerned, a channel is the LCN and most people don't pay too much attention to the technical structure and to individual streams. A more technical description, however, would have been to say that the PMT and associated streams for the channels could be switched between multiplexes and that the LCN allocations would be amended in the NIT to reflect the change. I doubt that describing it that way would make the situation any clearer to the general public.
    LCN switches makes me think that bid is moving to 37 and vice versa.

I can see your train of thought but, I would have would have used the same description I had used for the situation on Sky, that the channels had "exchanged EPG positions", if that is what I had in mind.
    Freeview advise me that local TV is staying on ch.26 in Wales, so 23 might re-appear in Wales today.

If I remember correctly, Bid held a separate licence for the service in Wales, which may explain why it has disappeared there but continued in the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    sheernesssheerness Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Hi there guys

been reading some of your comments in regards of some channels moving or sharing, Here in Sheerness, Kent, All 3 of my tv's have now got a new channel Ch8 which launches on the 31/3/14 called London live, so I guess this means that there will be a few local channels will be added depending on your region, even though I am in sheerness we are on 3 different transmitters crystal palace, east Angela and and south east, south east in my local, Anyway all 3 of them are transmitting the new channel which launches on the 31/3......

so maybe that's the case in you region them again I mat be wrong,
    Interesting to see what happens on your region on this date,

let us know what happens on here guys
    Kind Regards
    Dom.....
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Price drop moves to COM 7 to save money. That leaves 1-2 SD slots on COM 7 to fill in up now.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    There's one hidden SD stream lurking on COM7 now. That makes 3 SD streams taking one HD slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    There's one hidden SD stream lurking on COM7 now. That makes 3 SD streams taking one HD slot.

are they all low quality 540x576 channels though, as if so they could be planning to fit 4 SD channels to 1 HD channel?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the addition of Price Drop to COM7 will get people flocking to the stores to buy DVB-T2 kit, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, the addition of Price Drop to COM7 will get people flocking to the stores to buy DVB-T2 kit, that's for sure.

Thats a good point, I would like to see what the other one or two SD channel(s), that COM 7 is now yet to get.
    Lets hope they are interesting enough to get people buying.
    I still dont understand why the government dont remove the approval of kit that doesnt have DVB-T2, streaming channel capabilities and on demand as the lowest standard?
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did a rescan but have got pricedrop on ch 23 & bid on ch791.
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheerness wrote: »
    Hi there guys

been reading some of your comments in regards of some channels moving or sharing, Here in Sheerness, Kent, All 3 of my tv's have now got a new channel Ch8 which launches on the 31/3/14 called London live, so I guess this means that there will be a few local channels will be added depending on your region, even though I am in sheerness we are on 3 different transmitters crystal palace, east Angela and and south east, south east in my local, Anyway all 3 of them are transmitting the new channel which launches on the 31/3......

so maybe that's the case in you region them again I mat be wrong,
    Interesting to see what happens on your region on this date,

let us know what happens on here guys
    Kind Regards
    Dom.....

Bluebell Hill are not transmitting London Live, its coming from Crystal Palace only
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluebell Hill are not transmitting London Live, its coming from Crystal Palace only
    if you goto Digital uk's website you will see that Bluebell Hill will be geting a newer mux next week on the 8th april.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes bluebell hill gets com7 .....
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did a rescan but have got pricedrop on ch 23 & bid on ch791.

Channel 23 on ArqA is called "BID" but is transmitting Price-drop

Channel 37 on the new HD mux is called price-drop, but no pictures

Channel 791 on SDN is also called BID and is transmitting BID.

Previously 23/BID was on SDN and 37/pricedrop was on ArqA

So it looks like channel numbers have changed, but the programs have not, so people who have not retuned will not notice anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes bluebell hill gets com7 .....

That right as the roll out of extra Freeview HD channels continues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Currently from Brierley Hill, Price Drop is broadcasting on ch23 with Shop with BID on 791.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently from Brierley Hill, Price Drop is broadcasting on ch23 with Shop with BID on 791.

Yes same here apart from LCN 791 is just called bid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes same here apart from LCN 791 is just called bid.

yes sorry, its me, both 23 & 791 are labelled bid.