Options

Whatever happened to Benneton?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still one in Marlow last time I checked...
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    winniebeer wrote: »
    you mean geometric neon print on wollen jumpers with bat wings is out :eek:
    When I was at school it was brightly coloured rugby shirts with "United Colours of Benetton" on them that was the thing.
    But this seems to be what they are selling now... purple trousers and jacket with matching bikini top, WTF?
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated the way benneton shops were layed out all the clothes in neat little piles stacked on top of each other..it didnt make you want to browse, you would feel guilty touching anything and ruining there display...

unlike primark which you can trash guilt free ;)
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Their clothes fell apart and when people realized they were naked they stopped buying them.
    That seems to still happen going by the pictures on their website.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    That seems to still happen going by the pictures on their website.

Their ads are great but I could never find the stuff in the actual store.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were sold to Renault, and then to genii capital in a link up with the proton group

And now they're Lotus Renault - one of two Lotus teams currently slated for entry next year. Confused?
  • Options
    brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    I hated the way benneton shops were layed out all the clothes in neat little piles stacked on top of each other..it didnt make you want to browse, you would feel guilty touching anything and ruining there display...

unlike primark which you can trash guilt free ;)

Well observed - when tasked with (say) opening a shopping chain instead of asking 'how can we improve the shopping experience' ?

Ask how can we make it worse.
  • Options
    Columbo FanColumbo Fan Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    I think their trend is out dated for the UK now.

like GAP ...do they still exist?
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one in Oxford Circus. It's always busy.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like GAP ...do they still exist?

Yep! There are quite a few in London, not sure about the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've got a Herbal Essences ad by OP, so I guess Bennetton is out of business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    My ex's father had 3 Benetton franchise stores (they were pretty much all franchised stores) around N. Derbyshire & S. Yorks in the mid/late 80's. Store owners would buy stock in at 50% of retail price, so if there was anything in the sale at less than 50% of full price then the shop was loosing money on it! All store fixtures and fittings (shelves) etc. had to be bought via Benetton and their approved shop-fitting suppliers to ensure a common "look & feel" to the stores, but at much higher prices than could otherwise be found - robbing gits! I know some owners moved over to run franchises for the "competition" - Sweater Shop - in the same stores, but where are they now??
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember at school bennetton bags were the only bags to have, and their sweatshirts too. Bennetton, naf naf and ton sur ton were the only clothes to wear along with Levi jeans, kickers and wallabies. Oh the good old early 90's:D
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This nasty girl I went to school with always went on about how she got her clothes at Benetton, she even had that damn bags, and looked down on anyone who didn't. Naturally, I took an aversion to the brand.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there some kind of controversy about their advertising tactics? I recall something or the other and it put me off going to their shops but I can't quite remember exactly what it was and I'm too busy and idle to use my search engine to find out. ;)
  • Options
    Nicky2win87Nicky2win87 Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's still a Benneton in Limerick, Ireland anyway and there's a GAP in Cork.
  • Options
    LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member
    Whatever happened to Knickerbox?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Liloleme wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Knickerbox?

disappeared up their own arse?
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Benneton (& United Colors Of Benneton) are still massive in Italy and Greece.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    disappeared up their own arse?

Tee Hee
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I think the one in Enfield Town is still there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I remember in secondary school back in 83/84 you HAD to have the duffle bag to be the cool kid.

In my school you also had to have one of the striped jumpers in green. I went rogue and got a blue one, thinking I was oh so original! :o

There is a Benneton store at Hammersmith broadway but I have never seen anyone go in or out!
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    What happened to Fruit Of The Loom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What happened to Fruit Of The Loom?

Or The Sweater Shop?