Another crap Summer !

Comments

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who object to their nonsense being "picked apart" in the light of scientific knowledge are exhibiting unrealistic expectations. "Engage brain before opening mouth" applies more surely, not less so, as the size and diversity of one's audience increase. Idle chatter that works well with friends who know one another tends to fall flat when exposed to a more critical audience.

There is a sub-forum for such chatter.

It's not unrealistic to expect other forum members NOT to patronise other forum members that might not wish to go to deeply into a subject like the weather, which is discussed ad-infinitum by all & sundry in the UK, to be fair.
  • NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    Summer in UK are always disappointing. I think the weather is better in March-May then it goes pear shape.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northeast Scotland is like that, too. On one particularly memorable occasion I was walking down Union Street in Aberdeen in pleasant Spring sunshine, turned a corner and walked face-on into a gust of hail. Even different streets have their own weather!

Yes, there appear to be micro climates everywhere..but that's the first time I've heard it varying from street to street. :)
    I suppose the difficulty in forcasting is because weather "forms". For a long time, I had the stupid notion that we should be able to predict weather (short term) with almost 100% accuracy with satellites etc because we could "see it coming".
    From my observations, the same forcast could be used every day..changeable.
  • Zoltan SmithZoltan Smith Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Can't people just have a simple discussion about the weather without having their comments picked apart? It's not some scientific meteorology forum. :sleep:

But it is not that. If someone said "I cant stand Rooney or any of his Man City teammates" or "Bloody Cameron is such a labour fool" or "That is the problem with Christians and their holy book the Koran" no one would baulk at the many correcting posts that would follow

If someone posts "Well this summer has been a total washout" or "The weather forecasters always get it wrong" dont expect that to be treated any differently.

Posts about weather are great but posts saying "well it was 36 C in Doncaster yesterday" should be challenged in General Discussion - hence the reason for the forum.
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd rather have rain every day of the year than a drought

goodness knows how Mediterranean countries such as spain, france, portugal etc manage in the long hot summers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darakinss wrote: »
    i'd rather have rain every day of the year than a drought

goodness knows how Mediterranean countries such as spain, france, portugal etc manage in the long hot summers

They dont they look dusty and dull
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the difficulty in forcasting is because weather "forms". For a long time, I had the stupid notion that we should be able to predict weather (short term) with almost 100% accuracy with satellites etc because we could "see it coming".
    Any pretensions we once had to be able to accurately predict weather very far into the future were pricked when Edward Lorenz kick-started the field of chaos theory.

The problem is that even if we could model perfectly all the processes involved in "forming" the weather (which we can't), we would still never have enough measurements to initialise the model to the exact starting point. Tiny errors in the measurements we do have can rapidly multiply, completely changing the outcome. And then there are things which happen which were never part of the weather model, but can nevertheless affect the outcome - such as the arrival of Lorenz's infamous butterfly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    If someone posts "Well this summer has been a total washout" or "The weather forecasters always get it wrong" dont expect that to be treated any differently.

People aren't being literal. It's a term of phrase. :sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People aren't being literal. It's a term of phrase. :sleep:

No, its just basic ignorance mixed with a little melodrama to boost the ego. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    No, its just basic ignorance mixed with a little melodrama to boost the ego. :cool:

I guess it's wrong for me to say that it's been raining cats and dogs for the past 24 hours.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my other half took a week off in April and it was hot every day, couldnt' believe our luck! Our next week off is in July, not holding out a lot of hope, had our luck for the year. :D
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    :cry:

4 years in a row now we have had a nice warm April & May followed by cold, wet June, July and August.

Just heard that this year is going to be the same and records show the warmer the April the wetter the Summer.

The Jet stream is the same too - VERY far south.

It usually pushes up over Scotland diverting any lows North and allowing the Azores High to build. ... This year its main bulk as low as Africa. The low jet stream position is also responsible for the terrible storms in the US.

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display_alt.cgi?a=natla_250

I kinda feel we need rain. It seems ages since I seen the rain. I hope it does rain.

Summer- it gets tooooooooooo hot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've always laughed at my wife for checking the weather every day--particularly when she looks at the five day forecast. On the other hand I'm fairly indifferent to the exact form of the weather as long as I can rely on it falling within the seasonal norms that affect how many layers I wear. I usually ignore the prospect of rain because in London I can always take shelter somewhere.

She takes responsibility for putting the clothes out to dry, so she does need a reasonably accurate weather picture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's wrong for me to say that it's been raining cats and dogs for the past 24 hours.

Miaow?
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NaughtyNan wrote: »
    Summer in UK are always disappointing. I think the weather is better in March-May then it goes pear shape.

Believe it or not there is actually truth in your statement.

The atlantic jet stream is the most important feature in the weather of NW Europe, its strength, and position can and does have a major effect on our weather not just day to day but accross whole seasons.

In general the jetstream becomes weaker during spring and that's why we very often have lenghthy dry and relatively warm spells in spring.

In early June it becomes stronger and in doing so its sends wave after wave of cool, windy and wet weather across Britain and NW Europe. The met office refers to it either as "return of the westerlies" or "the European monsoon".

This is also why there is some truth in the old St Swithins day (July 15th) folklore. if by early/mid July the jet weakens again then we should see plenty of warm sunny weather, if it doesn't then the summer as whole will probably end up as a washout
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there appear to be micro climates everywhere..but that's the first time I've heard it varying from street to street. :)

Aberdeen is built over three quite significant hills, has flat coastline and lowland inland river valleys. As a result the weather from part of the city can be very different to another.

One of my big gripes is that all weather data for the city is taken at Dyce airport, there are no weather stations in the hillier more densely populated parts of the city. This means snowfall records bare little truth to what actually falls across much of the city and similarly in summer temperatures can appear cooler. The official Aberdeen temperature record is 31C, but I know of plenty of people who've recorded 33c or even 34c on the same day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I think the summer is coming..hot n sunny here :D I wonder if we get a hotter July
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Aberdeen is built over three quite significant hills, has flat coastline and lowland inland river valleys. As a result the weather from part of the city can be very different to another.

One of my big gripes is that all weather data for the city is taken at Dyce airport, there are no weather stations in the hillier more densely populated parts of the city. This means snowfall records bare little truth to what actually falls across much of the city and similarly in summer temperatures can appear cooler. The official Aberdeen temperature record is 31C, but I know of plenty of people who've recorded 33c or even 34c on the same day.

Same all over the UK. Our network of 24 hour a day reporting stations is awful.

Weather records and stats are only representative of the places where we have stations. Stirling, for example, has around 90,000 people and covers a large area but you will never hear about weather from there as it has no station - Leuchars on the other hand is a tinpot little Fife town but you will hear about its weather a lot as it has a station due to the (raf) airport.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    I think the summer is coming..hot n sunny here :D I wonder if we get a hotter July

Raining here :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick! It's going to be hot on Sunday and Monday only. :eek:

Plan something everyone. :o:D
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Quick! It's going to be hot on Sunday and Monday only. :eek:

Plan something everyone. :o:D

30 degrees in the south on Monday! make way for the moaning to commence its too hot :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    30 degrees in the south on Monday! make way for the moaning to commence its too hot :)

I live in the South, no complaining from me! :D
  • dean wellsdean wells Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the forecasters said its going to be hot on Saturday aswell,i think by Tuesday its unsettled returns and 15-18C lovely :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dean wells wrote: »
    I thought the forecasters said its going to be hot on Saturday aswell,i think by Tuesday its unsettled returns and 15-18C lovely :D

Yep, 15-18 sounds good to me, warm enough to wear shorts but cool enough to be able to live your life normally.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    I live in the South, no complaining from me! :D

Nor me. I can not wait for the mini heatwave this weekend :D