Wanted Down Under: snobby Poms get my goat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hands up I was given duff info, that's the oh and her parents in the dog house.

All of it or just the trial seperation? Are they in Oz or not?
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of it or just the trial seperation? Are they in Oz or not?

Yes they are in Oz, both working, both look to be doing well. Didn't think they came across particularly well in the programme but good look to them, they've made their dream come true.
    Not sure this link will work to her facebook page, but they are pretty easy to find. If you read her money saving expert blog, lots of info on there.

www.facebook.com/julie.godfrey.792?fref=ts
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the blog/thread link, well worth a read even though it's a little long.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1815513

Now poor Brendan from Cornwall that's who I feel really sorry for.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That MSE thread is a wind up, i'll get the oh to phone her parents as it was her parents that told her about the separation, find it hard to believe that post especially about the debt free status and banking 3 grand a fortnight.

You know, you've done nothing but bitch about these people you claim to know. You sound a very horrible and annoying person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just amazes me how some of these people who have never even been to visit Oz or NZ feel it is where they must be to lead a happy life.

I suppose we are all different, but I couldn't leave my family.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just amazes me how some of these people who have never even been to visit Oz or NZ feel it is where they must be to lead a happy life.

Even odder when the best countries to live in the world are right here in Europe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Even odder when the best countries to live in the world are right here in Europe.

Yes, I have been to Norway and it is truly beautiful and the people are lovely.

Where I live there are direct flights to there. I would go somewhere like that for work purposes if I could afford to fly home regularly to see family.

I thought Brendan had the right idea in that he thought they should rent out there home for a year or two to see how things go. Maybe Angela might find it is not so wonderful when she got here. However, she appeared to be having none of that.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Here we go

Young Muslim family with a huge family based in UK. Never set foot in Oz until this how, husband is driving the move, wife really not interested.

Living in cloud cuckoo land, thought he was going to get a lovely 4 bedroom house, huge garden and pool in lovely area for less than the UK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    My best friend had to move to Aukland three years ago (husband was relocated from here by necessity of continuity of employment). It was supposed to be 'short-term', i.e. between five and ten years, but he's fallen in love with the place and wants to stay; my friend doesn't. Anyway, before moving there we thought Jersey was expensive enough, but New Zealand has been an eye-opener! As a rough comparison, most things are double the cost of here, but wages are mostly much, much lower - the famed wonderful 'quality of life and low cost of living' is a fable, nothing more, in the 21st century. My friend used to work at a T.A. here earning £14 an hour in round figures; in New Zealand she's taken on a similar role, but expected to have much more responsibility in a special needs unit, and is paid the equivalent of £6 an hour! If it wasn't for her husband's job they a) wouldn't be there to start with and b) couldn't afford to have any kind of lifestyle like the one they enjoyed here (which wasn't lavish by any means, but doable without worry). They never mention any of this on these relocation programmes unless or until the families themselves choose to mention it during the episode!

Re the overweight child, whether or not native Australians/New Zelanders are obese is irrelevant, but all emigrants have to undergo a medical (including any children) before leaving the UK/being granted visas to enter the countries to make sure they won't be a drain on the respective Oz/Kiwihealth services. Even though my friend's husband had his firm job offer, the move couldn't have gone ahead if the medical had thrown up anything NZ didn't like or which they thought would cause them too much expense to provide for in my friend's family.

And no, the grass isn't always greener - the paperwork/bureaucracy is horrendous! The list of prohibited articles for importation is as long as your arm! My friend gave away so much stuff, and sold on hundreds of pounds more just so that they could buy it all again new at the other end. To make matters worse, when they got there customs told them that actually they'd probably have allowed most of it, but by then it was too late. Their car and the majority of belongings took three months to arrive by sea, so they only had what they could carry in their suitcases to last during that time, plus any new stuff they bought, and when the car arrived it had been damaged in transit but no one admitted responsibility for it. It was like some black comedy of errors. My friend just wanted to come straight back home again.

And that was before she'd found out how much everything cost! When she comes back here on her annual visit she literally takes a suitcase back full of things from Boots to last several months/a year - everything from painkillers to sanitary products - because it's half the price of chemists in NZ!

That's all well and good if the families are like the ones on this programme and doing it voluntarily, but my friend was forced to move, forced to leave her parents behind, and it's broken her Mum - her health has not been the same since. My friend's Mum is also phobic about flying - she won't even make the 35 minute flight from Jersey to the UK, she has to go by boat - so a flight to NZ is never going to happen. In addition her Dad has serious health problems, including recurrent blood clots in his legs (long-standing problems from birth) so would never be insured to fly anyway. My friend makes the trip to the UK once a year at the moment because her husband's bank will pay for trips for them once a year for four years, but this summer will be the last free trip, and after that they won't be able to afford it.

Someone else said that "oh, it's only 24 hours away by plane" as it that's no big deal, but someone else I know who emigrated there had that blase attitude... until she got a phone call to say her Dad had had a heart attack back in the UK. She got the first plane back, but it took a few hours to arrange and get to the airport, all the time she knew he was dying. She then spent the next 24 hours unable to keep in touch due to flying bar one quick call whilst in transit, not knowing if her Dad was alive or dead for most of that time.

Suddenly there was a realisation that the 'small world' and 'only 24 hours away' she'd so arrogantly dismissed as 'no big deal' because of what was afforded to her by technology and Skype, was still an awfully big world when it came to needing to flying home again in an emergency. Luckily she got there just in time to hold her Dad's hand as he died, but it was touch and go, and she decided to come home again permanently because she could see her Mum's fading health too. I haven't told my friend in NZ anything of that - she'd freak out considering her own Dad's fragile health these days, but I suspect she has already realised that one day she is going to face exactly that scenario.

Emigrating like that is not some sort of 'Holy Grail' of a perfect life, and that's when you have chosen it, rather than been forced into it like my friend was. It's expensive, you often lose everything if you decide to come back again, and family and friends are not so easily written off as being 'only' 24 hours away when things go wrong. They don't seem to mention any of this on these relocation programmes!

That is the exact reason why we haven't emigrated. I have relations in Canada, we have visited and love it there, we could both get good jobs and the kids would be fine with it. But my mum couldn't come with us and there is just no way on this earth I could leave her on her own now. I would never have any peace of mind and we would all miss her too much.

I can see the attraction of Australia too. We went out to a wedding in Brisbane and it was fantastic, our friends (airline stewards) had a beautiful house with a veranda and a big garden, the beaches were amazing and everyone was so friendly that we felt at home straight away. But I am a total coward, the insects freaked me out and there was some sort of animal living under the house that we never saw but which made a terrible racket. I spent half the time shrieking and getting on everyone's nerves.

I often wonder when I watch these programmes that if people had the same positive attitude about moving somewhere else in the UK or even Europe as they do about going to the other side of the world they might do just as well for themselves without quite so much hassle.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Here we go

Young Muslim family with a huge family based in UK. Never set foot in Oz until this how, husband is driving the move, wife really not interested.

Living in cloud cuckoo land, thought he was going to get a lovely 4 bedroom house, huge garden and pool in lovely area for less than the UK

I've heard that Australian attitudes towards ethnic minorities are questionable to say the very, very least. They are about 30/40 years behind the UK in that respect and use language that most decent people in the UK would find offensive.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really nice couple, lovely kids and they'd get along well in Oz but their family ties are too strong to make it work. I often think the relatives could make things easier for the people in this show by not going on and on about how missed they'd be because mostly the couples are trying to do something great for their kids but in this family's case it is their extended family they get their real enjoyment from. I don't think the most idyllic beach in Oz would really compensate this man for not having his family close by. Maybe they should all get together and talk about emigrating en masse because these are the very type of people that Oz welcomes and they'd make a huge circle of friends. I'd be interested in an update on this couple. Lovely family though:)
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard that Australian attitudes towards ethnic minorities are questionable to say the very, very least. They are about 30/40 years behind he UK in that respect and use language that most decent people in the UK would find offensive.

Rubbish:mad: I grew up in a multi-cultural society, I went to school with Italians, Greeks, Chinese, Vietnamese.....you get questionable attitudes to ethnic minoirities everywhere - Australia has no equivalent of the BNP or UKIP I must say....Muslims have been living in Oz for decades.
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another selfish git, everytime she gave her vote he kept asking her to explain why, she gave the same answer every time, and I think she was only being diplomatic when she said she was undecided, she would be as lonely and miserable as sin if they went.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    when I watched this I was feeling really sorry for the wife..had the feeling she wasn't getting a say but when at the end they were talking about how they were staying for a few years in the uk she seemed more happy and maybe in the back of her mind hoping she can talk him out of it in that time
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    when I watched this I was feeling really sorry for the wife..had the feeling she wasn't getting a say but when at the end they were talking about how they were staying for a few years in the uk she seemed more happy and maybe in the back of her mind hoping she can talk him out of it in that time

I thought this too, the daughter will also get settled at school and that will give her more reason for her to convince him why they shouldn't go.
    Forum Member
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    I thought this too, the daughter will also get settled at school and that will give her more reason for her to convince him why they shouldn't go.

yes..she'll have friends she'll not want to leave behind and the daughter will have more pull to make him stay here
  • BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Rubbish:mad: I grew up in a multi-cultural society, I went to school with Italians, Greeks, Chinese, Vietnamese.....you get questionable attitudes to ethnic minoirities everywhere - Australia has no equivalent of the BNP or UKIP I must say....Muslims have been living in Oz for decades.

I was born in Australia and have visited in the last few years. Thankfully it's a very inclusive society and they have more new residents from the Far East such as Hong Kong than they do from the UK. First generation immigrants are doing many of the lower paid jobs such as shop assistants and restaurant staff but it will be in interesting in a few generations time when their children will have been educated in Australia.. I'm not saying that's a bad thing as I'm all for integration - just interesting.
    Forum Member
    Burrercup wrote: »
    I was born in Australia and have visited in the last few years. Thankfully it's a very inclusive society and they have more new residents from the Far East such as Hong Kong than they do from the UK. First generation immigrants are doing many of the lower paid jobs such as shop assistants and restaurant staff but it will be in interesting in a few generations time when their children will have been educated in Australia.. I'm not saying that's a bad thing as I'm all for integration - just interesting.

I thought today's couple were actually quite nice, he was very keen but not overly pushy, they won't be settling in Australia is my guess, they've too much in Rochdale to leave Rhine.

Nikki was saying that there was a large Muslim community in Melbourne, mind you compared to parts of the uk I'm not sure quite how large is large.

Australia is clearly behind the uk for immigrants. Back in the 70's and 80's it was the Indians and Pakistanis who arrived in the uk doing the lower paid jobs and driving around in Datsun Cherrys. Now of course the hard work has paid off and they live in nice houses ad drive Mercedes.

I guess time will tell if the same happens down under.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were a lovely couple too, and Nabeela's comments were certainly exactly how I would feel, regarding what they have to lose family wise in the UK.

Often the person who is pushing the move (as Harry said today) has always harboured a dream of moving to Australia. I don't understand why the don't go when they are in their 20's and single, rather than waiting until they are married, and trying to persuade a reluctant partner to go.

Quite a few of my friends went abroad when we finished our nurse training.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Nikki was saying that there was a large Muslim community in Melbourne, mind you compared to parts of the uk I'm not sure quite how large is large.
    I guess time will tell if the same happens down under.

Melbourne is supposd to be the largest Greek city outside of Athens. But when i was there recently I didn't see many Greeks, but mostly Chinese, it is almost like Hong Kong with its large Chinese community.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    A much more worthwhile programme would be to follow those on a working visa in NZ/Oz. These one year visas are available to those under the age of 26. The show would be able to give a good insight to their working/social lives and costs involved. Also follow up programmes could focus on the pros and cons of their time overseas and if they would consider a permanent move.
    Forum Member
    It's the Fitzpatrick family from Scotland today

Moving to Auckland, New Zealand and looking for a 3-4 bedroom do-er upper

Husband really pushing the move as he declined an offer of working and living abroad years ago and really regrets not going.

Should be interesting. They've got £200K to spend
    Forum Member
    shame they were showing houses that I knew the wife wouldn't like...they live in a quiet place why not show them something in a quiet area..
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    It's obvious that the wife has no interest in going and leaving her mum behind. Pushy husband. That's the perils of partnership - one partner's wants and needs gets preference over the other!

Also, do they go to NZ in the summer or winter? It would be more realistic if they went to their 'dream destination' in the winter to see what the 'lifestyle' really holds all year round.

Surprised they all voted to go TBH. If they want the wife's elderly mum to live there too and look after the children, hope they have considered medical bills etc as they won't be cheap.
    Forum Member
    Mrscee wrote: »
    shame they were showing houses that I knew the wife wouldn't like...they live in a quiet place why not show them something in a quiet area..

They didn't want to live to far from Auckland, first house had a railway at the bottom of the garden, second was on a flight path and the third, unbuilt house but plot of land, was too close to motorway and industrial area.

Final votes all round went to NZ but can't see how they can do it. When they did the finances they were £900 worse off per month. That's a no brainer for me.

Good luck to them. A nice family, he came across well but she was a bit of a moaning Minnie