Options

European Figure Skating Championships 2014

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julia actually bought a tear to my eyes.

Sochi may come a little too soon for these Russian starlets but I can see them dominating the next Olympic cycle.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Julia actually bought a tear to my eyes.

Sochi may come a little too soon for these Russian starlets but I can see them dominating the next Olympic cycle.

She brought a tear to my eyes too TR, it was so moving.

Yes, she will find it hard to beat YuNa and Mao Asada but I can't wait to see her again. The ladies Olympic event will be something special I'm sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    She was amazing. Very moving performance. She represented the girl in the red dress from Schindlers List and pulled it off.

I have watched her before in the Grand Prix finals and loved the programme then.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For someone so young, Julia was unbelievably self-assured and poised. She caned the rest of the field on the technical score. Very happy for her.

But for me, no one quite matches Carolina's musical interpretation. And no one other than her could have got away with reprising Bolero after T&D's iconic performance. Just a shame she can't skate clean. Her technical mark cost her; she beat the others on the presentation score.

Thrilled for Penny and Nick. Their first Euro medal - and well deserved too . This'll give them a great boost for the Olympics. I felt so sorry for Elena & Nikita though. Their Swan Lake routine was stunning. I hope Elena can come back fighting in Sochi. I hated seeing her so upset but it was lovely how (genuinely) supportive Nikita was afterwards. Have seen occasions in the past when one member of a partnership just can't hide their disappointment or annoyance when their partner messes up!

Again it was the Russians who impressed me most in the Pairs. But I've always had a soft spot for Aliona & Robin. I'm just not confident they can skate cleanly. Their artistry and connection on the ice though is mesmerising.

Watching the men now. Not so interested in this contest especially as Brian Joubert messed up his short :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't watch the men's Free earlier so watched the highlights on Eurosport & have to say I was generally a bit underwhelmed with the exception of Javier Fernandez.

I suspect Kovtun's performance in the Free has just handed the Russian Olympic spot to Plushenko.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pairs Free was a bit disappointing in the end. Robin & Aliona withdrew - hopefully that was a precaution only & they'll be OK for Sochi. Tatiana & Maxim were below par as well. I wonder if they maybe got a little complacent after the Germans withdrew - I think they would have performed better if the Germans had been there to push them.
  • Options
    CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that Aliona has the flu. I didn't catch the pairs earlier - tbh sounds as if I didn't miss much.

This whole event has been a bit underwhelming really, I did enjoy Carolina and Julia in the ladies though. Was also great to see Penny & Nick get bronze in ice dance, and Javier did well.

Looks like next week Eurosport are showing some of the Four Continents, aka the "You didn't get the to go the Olympics consolation prize" event! I think there'll be a few interesting skaters there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I heard that Aliona has the flu. I didn't catch the pairs earlier - tbh sounds as if I didn't miss much.

This whole event has been a bit underwhelming really, I did enjoy Carolina and Julia in the ladies though. Was also great to see Penny & Nick get bronze in ice dance, and Javier did well.

Looks like next week Eurosport are showing some of the Four Continents, aka the "You didn't get the to go the Olympics consolation prize" event! I think there'll be a few interesting skaters there.

Yes, I've never seem the Four Continents before, I did notice that Eurosport are showing it and I am looking forward to it.

I have enjoyed the dance and ladies events, the 5 top ladies were exceptional and that's wihout the top 2 in the world, Kim Yuna and Mao Asada and of course the americans and the canadians.

I hope they are all fighting fit and we get to see some fabulous skating in all the events. Get well soon Aliona.
  • Options
    matrix2021matrix2021 Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Well I've managed to catch up on all the skating, and will echo some sentiments that it was a little underwhelming.

I do find it fascinating that after a slight slum in Russian skating (particularly the ladies) they suddenly come fighting back with new wave of young and exciting skaters. If anyone watched the Grand Prix events, you will know about the talents of Elena Radionova and Anna Pogorilaya - in fact, I'm surprised neither of these two weren't chosen instead of Leonova, who despite coming 2nd in Worlds a few years ago, hasn't really been that consistent since.

I don't know what it is with with Carolina, but I just think she is slightly overrated, yes, her presentation is top notch, but I sometimes look at her spins and just think they would barely reach level 3, never mind her inconsistent jumps, but I think its great shes put the Lutz back into her programmes after years of absence, but in the meantime seems to have lost her relatively safe triple flip/triple toe loop from her repertoire.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why Jenna McCorkell isn't anywhere near the top 10 these past few years? Has she had injuries? Coach changes? Her triple Lutz and triple Flips were a very high standard, I remember one year she had the highest technical score in the Short Programme of the Europeans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone - sorry was not around to join in the convo this time around. Was in Budapest at the European Figure Skating Championships & just got back. Hope to print my observations but here's one word summary

Penny & Nick Great!
    Cappellini & Lanotte Lucky!
    Julia Wow!
    Adelina Good!
    Christina Slow!
    Max & Tatiana Gutted!
    Robin & Aliona Gutted!
    Maxim Kovtun Pressure!
    Konstantin Menshov Superb!
    Sergei Voronov Good!
    Javier Fernandez Smiles!
    Ondrej & Stefania Undermarked!

Back later with some explanations & feel free to ask me anything.

BTW Nick & Penny so sweet. Nick personally thanked everyone for their congratulatory tweets!!

For those interested - the skating does not stop - the 4 Continents Championships start this week - here's details of Eurosport's coverage. Mirai Nagasu will be skating after the US Championships disappointment.

http://t.co/WmGpWVvkNX
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look at Lipnitskaya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjgrE5Rj2c4 She's even better here than at the Euros.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matrix2021 wrote: »
    Well I've managed to catch up on all the skating, and will echo some sentiments that it was a little underwhelming.

I do find it fascinating that after a slight slum in Russian skating (particularly the ladies) they suddenly come fighting back with new wave of young and exciting skaters. If anyone watched the Grand Prix events, you will know about the talents of Elena Radionova and Anna Pogorilaya - in fact, I'm surprised neither of these two weren't chosen instead of Leonova, who despite coming 2nd in Worlds a few years ago, hasn't really been that consistent since.

I don't know what it is with with Carolina, but I just think she is slightly overrated, yes, her presentation is top notch, but I sometimes look at her spins and just think they would barely reach level 3, never mind her inconsistent jumps, but I think its great shes put the Lutz back into her programmes after years of absence, but in the meantime seems to have lost her relatively safe triple flip/triple toe loop from her repertoire.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why Jenna McCorkell isn't anywhere near the top 10 these past few years? Has she had injuries? Coach changes? Her triple Lutz and triple Flips were a very high standard, I remember one year she had the highest technical score in the Short Programme of the Europeans.

Not sure about any injury problems but I think with Jenna the biggest problem is between the ears. She always had the talent but not the temperament required to do well at the top level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Not sure about any injury problems but I think with Jenna the biggest problem is between the ears. She always had the talent but not the temperament required to do well at the top level.

Agree to an extent - she reminds me of Joanne Conway (now occasional Eurosport commentor) - she had all the technique & presentation to do well but never quite made it. To be fair, Jenna has had her fair share of injuries this year plus I think she has been doing quite a bit in hubby Kevin's (Van Der Perren) ice shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Have a look at Lipnitskaya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjgrE5Rj2c4 She's even better here than at the Euros.

I commented whilst watching it live that she had simplified her technical (+ her 1 double axel was slightly sketchy) to concentrate on developing her presentation. I can tell you that live it was electrifying & the standing ovation went on for ages. It was my highlight of the whole competition!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A new tongue-twister: do not nitpick Lipnitskaya.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    A new tongue-twister: do not nitpick Lipnitskaya.

Sorry do not understand but agree it is difficult to say ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mandylou1 wrote: »
    I commented whilst watching it live that she had simplified her technical (+ her 1 double axel was slightly sketchy) to concentrate on developing her presentation. I can tell you that live it was electrifying & the standing ovation went on for ages. It was my highlight of the whole competition!

Yes, it was my highlight too. Mesmerising.