Options

Ken Barlow to return to Coronation Street

cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a549827/bill-roache-to-return-to-coronation-street-in-the-summer.html

I think everyone expected this but I'm glad it's confirmed now. I know Ken doesn't get many storylines but the character is a Corrie legend and the actor seems like a lovely guy. Will be good to see Ken back on screen. What would you like to see from Ken when he returns? Should he be given a big storyline? Or make a low key return to the soap?

Comments

• Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame, I'm glad the actor was found not guilty of those malicious claims but I've always hated the character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame, I'm glad the actor was found not guilty of those malicious claims but I've always hated the character.

What is it you don't like about the character? I know he gets a mixed response on here. Yes it's great William Roache's ordeal is finally over and he wants to get back to work.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    What is it you don't like about the character? I know he gets a mixed response on here. Yes it's great William Roache's ordeal is finally over and he wants to get back to work.

I'm not too sure. It's not a passionate dislike I have like I have with Tracey, Sean and Michelle, but I've never felt anything for the character and to me his scenes were always boring and tedious.

I have utmost respect for him still working at his age, though.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm happy at Ken's return as I do like the character.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a549827/bill-roache-to-return-to-coronation-street-in-the-summer.html

I think everyone expected this but I'm glad it's confirmed now. I know Ken doesn't get many storylines but the character is a Corrie legend and the actor seems like a lovely guy. Will be good to see Ken back on screen. What would you like to see from Ken when he returns? Should he be given a big storyline? Or make a low key return to the soap?

I hope he'll come back in the same low key role he's played for years. I imagine he will feature quite strongly in supporting Peter and/or Carla after Tina is gone.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had got used to Ken not being around, in fact had forgotten him. I wish he would stay in Canada. Deidre's character is better without him IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too sure. It's not a passionate dislike I have like I have with Tracey, Sean and Michelle, but I've never felt anything for the character and to me his scenes were always boring and tedious.

I have utmost respect for him still working at his age, though.

I know exactly what you mean about having a passionate dislike for Sean, Michelle and Tracey, I think most on here feel the same :D
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I've nothing against actor or character, but I sort of wish he wasn't coming back. Deirdre's been great since he left.
  • Options
    Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Ken and Deirdre scenes, and I'm looking forward to them being reunited.

My guess is that Deirdre will start an affair with some bloke and Ken will make a surprise return, to find them in bed together or snogging.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Ken and Deirdre scenes, and I'm looking forward to them being reunited.

My guess is that Deirdre will start an affair with some bloke and Ken will make a surprise return, to find them in bed together or snogging.

I agree. People keep commenting how Deirdre is 'better' without him but I love those two with a couple, and I am sure Anne Kirkbride is happy to be working with Bill again. Remember when they had a spin-off Ken and Deirdre's Bedtime Stories? Ken and Deirdre are meant to be together.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. People keep commenting how Deirdre is 'better' without him but I love those two with a couple, and I am sure Anne Kirkbride is happy to be working with Bill again. Remember when they had a spin-off Ken and Deirdre's Bedtime Stories? Ken and Deirdre are meant to be together.

I did type IMO. :)
    We all have different preferences; it would be boring if we all liked the same thing.:)
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad he's coming back. Can't wait to see him Dierdre, Tracey and just their comedy scenes :P Love the dinners they have with Carla and Peter hahaha
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Fountain got sacked for uploading a video to YOUTUBE trivialising rape to. What Roach trivialised rape on TV and they are letting come back. Come on ITV have some consistency
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Chris Fountain got sacked for uploading a video to YOUTUBE trivialising rape to. What Roach trivialised rape on TV and they are letting come back. Come on ITV have some consistency

Agreed. It's outrageous.
  • Options
    TTTVTTTV Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so when he was suspended, would it have been on full pay etc? how does it work with stuff like this? :confused:
  • Options
    CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why cant he stay away. His character is crap and adds nothing to the show. Has anyone actually missed him from the street - I haven't.

Retire and have some dignity
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how is he going to come back? 'Oh you're back from Canada, finally,' and then back to reading the paper? Or are we going to have to endure more 'marriage problems' between him and Dreary?
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Corrie is better without him. He is so boring as Ken. I didn't miss him.
  • Options
    SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else not think Deidre has been so much better without him (especially when they actually use her for comedy which she does so well!)
  • Options
    Polly11Polly11 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Dont think ken as a character adds much theses days. Deirdre is much better on her own
  • Options
    Mr Alex TMr Alex T Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I like the fact Tracey Barlow is the ONLY character in soap to have no redeeming features whatsoever!
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonicmfc wrote: »
    Anyone else not think Deidre has been so much better without him (especially when they actually use her for comedy which she does so well!)

I agree with this. She's more lively without Ken.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member

Mhmm, Corrie probably only sacked Chris because they thought it was expected of them after people being outraged at the video. Did they get any complaints for his random appearances before his "exit" though? If not then he would have been fine staying on after keeping his head down and issuing a public apology.
  • Options
    daryl_spicerdaryl_spicer Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonicmfc wrote: »

THIS..........
  • Options
    misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Deirdre has missed Ken's wise and calming ways, looking forward to them together again :)

I hope Deirdre doesn't have an affair and I hope the first thing Ken does is chuck vile Tracey and Rob out of his house :D