French Open 2014

coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli will join ITV Sport’s commentary team for its live free-to-air coverage of the forthcoming French Open at Roland Garros.
The reigning ladies’ singles winner, who retired following her dramatic triumph at SW19 last year, will lend her expertise and insight to ITV’s usual French Open presentation team, led once again by John Inverdale.
Based at Roland Garros for the tournament’s fortnight, the ITV team also includes four-time Grand Slam winner Jim Courier, Andy Murray’s former coach Mark Petchey, Fabrice Santoro, who played in a record 70 Grand Slams, and former British ladies number one Sam Smith.
Nick Mullins reprises his role as lead commentator, while Celina Hinchcliffe also returns this year as ITV’s roving reporter around Roland Garros.
ITV’s French Open coverage begins on May 25 with live coverage of each day’s play throughout the tournament.
Due to ITV4′s coverage of the final week of the Indian Premier League cricket tournament, the first five days of the French Open will be shared across ITV4 and ITV3, with the rest of the tournament on ITV4, while the mens’ and women’s singles finals will be broadcast live on ITV.
Niall Sloane, ITV Director of Sport, said: “Marion promises to be an outstanding addition to our French Open coverage.
“As current Wimbledon champion she has a fresh and sharp insight into the demands of the game at this level, which is sure to enrich our broadcasts throughout the tournament.”
Bartoli will work alongside John Inverdale for the first time since the veteran presenter provoked controversy last summer when describing the Frenchwoman’s physical appearance in an unflattering manner, during a BBC Radio 5 live interview with Lindsay Davenport, in the aftermath of her Wimbledon triumph.
On working with Bartoli, Inverdale said: “I know that the team, with Marion as a fantastic addition providing real insight into both the tennis and Roland Garros as a venue, are all looking forward to it enormously.”
“Both the men’s and women’s games are intriguing at the moment, with the old guard being challenged by so much exciting new talent.”
ITV Sport has covered the French Open since 2012 and this year’s tournament is the last to be covered under the broadcaster’s current three-year deal with the French Tennis Federation.
ITV will again share live coverage of the second tennis Grand Slam of the year with British Eurosport.

so itv are using ITV3 aswell....

Comments

• seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite funny that Inverdale will be working alongside Bartoli after 'that' comment last year after Wimbledon. Unfortunately for twitter and the Daily Mail their faux outrage over nothing has had no impact this time.

Pleased Nick Mullins is leading the commentary again, I think he's an excellent all round broadcaster, miss his involvement on the BBC Six Nations. I never watched the French Open before ITV got involved but will be tuning in again this year. Makes sense to replace the itv3 daytime repeats. Just hope they can extend the deal beyond this year.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite funny that Inverdale will be working alongside Bartoli after 'that' comment last year after Wimbledon. Unfortunately for twitter and the Daily Mail their faux outrage over nothing has had no impact this time.

Pleased Nick Mullins is leading the commentary again, I think he's an excellent all round broadcaster, miss his involvement on the BBC Six Nations. I never watched the French Open before ITV got involved but will be tuning in again this year. Makes sense to replace the itv3 daytime repeats. Just hope they can extend the deal beyond this year.

yes i agree with u....
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ITV coverage during the weekends then, last year the opening couple of days were on ITV
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be on ITV, There isn't much else on the daytime anyway.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ITV coverage during the weekends then, last year the opening couple of days were on ITV

Seems to be just mens’ and ladies’ singles finals on ITV this time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope ITV renew the contract, as I preferred there coverage over Eurosports.

Wonder if they will be in same studio, when it's rained and they have had to put a clear plastic sheet to keep them dry.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just Hope Courier can be bothered to pronounce the players names properly

It is not JOKE avitch

Neither is it

See Moan !!!!
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    I just Hope Courier can be bothered to pronounce the players names properly

It is not JOKE avitch

Neither is it

See Moan !!!!
    That seems to be the American pronunciation. I usually watch on Eurosport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope ITV renew the contract, as I preferred there coverage over Eurosports.

Wonder if they will be in same studio, when it's rained and they have had to put a clear plastic sheet to keep them dry.

well people would moan if they did it from london... but i hope they renew the contract..
    and its great that there onsite..
    would Sky/BT ever take it from eurosport??
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC will probably make a bid for this too for cheap daytime filler on BBC2.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Having lost the FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League, and the IPL, ITV may be happy to keep something.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    ITV will be glad the end doesn't clash with the football like it did in 2012.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    French Open is my favourite slam, as some days u get like 10 hours of action, days play at Winbledon sometimes seem over before it starts to ne.

US and Aus Opens are too antisocial for me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year the opening 2 days were morealess covered in full on ITV, shame they aren't doing that agaun
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can not get used to the coverage being on ITV. I will probably end up watching it on Eurosport.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant see any highlights programme on ITV 1 ,3 ,or 4 ???

Last year they had up to 2 hours each night
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't watch so much of it last year as I am a Murray fan, and as he wasn't playing wasn't so interested.

I am surprised ITV aren't showing it on there main channel next Sunday or Monday, hoping Murray starts his campaign, you would have thought the ratings would be high.

Wouldn't have much competition sporting wise,
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    What difference does it make if its shown on ITV4 or ITV (1)??
    We all have digital TV now so its pointless moving it around channels for the sake of it!!
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    What difference does it make if its shown on ITV4 or ITV (1)??
    We all have digital TV now so its pointless moving it around channels for the sake of it!!

Picture on ITV4 can be very blocky. Also ITV1 is available in HD on Freeview but ITV3 and ITV4 aren't.
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Picture on ITV4 can be very blocky. Also ITV1 is available in HD on Freeview but ITV3 and ITV4 aren't.

ITV4 picture has never been bad for me. And being in HD on DTT isn't a good enough reason on the basis that if ITV wanted you to see it in HD on all platforms then ITV4 wouldn't be a pay channel and yes ITV3 & ITV4 are on Freeview. Its the relay transmitters that don't have it but everywhere else does.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a chance. They treated it with cavalier disrespect when they did have the rights, burying it on the red button and showing only a handful of matches. Much the same as they did with the Australian Open. The BBC really only care about Wimbledon and Queens, seeing it as part of their "English Summer" heritage line-up. Pathetic really...
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Not a chance. They treated it with cavalier disrespect when they did have the rights, burying it on the red button and showing only a handful of matches. Much the same as they did with the Australian Open. The BBC really only care about Wimbledon and Queens, seeing it as part of their "English Summer" heritage line-up. Pathetic really...

Agreed. While im not the biggest Tennis fan, the way the BBC treated it was pretty poor.
    ITV have given it a platform and treated it well with the coverage on ITV4.
    I do think however, BT Sport will make a bid for it to bolster their Tennis coverage as they only have the WTA. Having an exclusive Grand Slam tournament would boost is vastly and its at a time that's decent.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Agreed. While im not the biggest Tennis fan, the way the BBC treated it was pretty poor.
    ITV have given it a platform and treated it well with the coverage on ITV4.
    I do think however, BT Sport will make a bid for it to bolster their Tennis coverage as they only have the WTA. Having an exclusive Grand Slam tournament would boost is vastly and its at a time that's decent.

Bt can't bid for the FTA rights. Eurosport already have the pay tv rights. So the FTA partner must be free to air.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    US Open is the next rights up for grabs, but can't see Sky let it go without a fight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Bt can't bid for the FTA rights. Eurosport already have the pay tv rights. So the FTA partner must be free to air.
    whens eurosports rights up??
    US Open is the next rights up for grabs, but can't see Sky let it go without a fight.
    sky do a great job on the US Open, the only thing id complain about, comms on all 6 Red Button Feeds....