FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
Forum Member
✭✭
'No meat' Hindu school place offer 'outrages' parents
By Sejal Asar
BBC Asian Network
Avanti Court Primary School
The mixed school provides education for four to 11-year-olds

Christian and Muslim parents in east London have been left "outraged" after their children were allocated places at a Hindu school with a no meat policy.

Twenty-one children were overlooked for their six preferred primary schools and were instead given places at Avanti Court Primary School in Barkingside.

The 11 children whose parents refused Avanti have no place for September.

Redbridge Council said none of the children would be of statutory school age before January.

Avanti Court Primary School has declined to comment.

'Meditation and yoga'
Naz Qureshi, the Muslim mother of a four-year-old from South Woodford, said: "I was gob smacked and outraged when they told me I didn't get any of my six chosen choices of schools."

Liz Beck said she was concerned her son would struggle to fit in
"I didn't want her to go to a Hindu school so I am surprised the council would think I would accept a faith school which I didn't even apply for."

Liz Beck, also from South Woodford, said her four-year-old son would struggle to fit in.

She said: "Culturally it's quite different and even though we don't want to shelter our son we feel it would be difficult for him to be in that environment where it's quite different from what we believe".

"The school says there's a strict no meat policy and that they practice meditation and yoga, which we are not comfortable with."

"I feel really angry and just let down, you would expect your child to get into a school they can at least walk too."

But one parent whose children do go to the school said it offered a positive environment for all children and another said "anyone who gets a place at the Avanti Court is extremely lucky".

Under current law, children in England must be in education from the term after their fifth birthday, but the law also allows for pupils to start school earlier.

The Department for Education said: "All parents have the right to appeal against the refusal of a place at any school."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28131933

Comments

• BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know they studied meat in schools.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So there's no meat? There's plenty else for them to eat. It's much harder trying to get vegan food for a child whereas these children can eat anything that is there.

Of far more concern is that it is a religious school, all state schools (paid for by the tax payer) should be secular. This is still of course no different to a "Hindu or atheist child" being made to go to a Christian school.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    "The school says there's a strict no meat policy and that they practice meditation and yoga, which we are not comfortable with."

Sounds pretty good to me.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't think the lack of meat on the dinner menu is the parents main complaint - its more being sent to a religious school when the family is not religious/of diffent religion. Certainly I can see why some are upset when all six of their preferred schools where passed over.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The parents should just send their children to school with ham or beef sandwiches then
  • FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The human rights of the Hindus having to see them eat those sandwiches would be smashed...
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The issue here is that the parent didn't get any of their 6 chosen schools. What is on the menu is totally irrelevant.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'No meat' Hindu school place offer 'outrages' parents
    By Sejal Asar
    BBC Asian Network
    Avanti Court Primary School
    The mixed school provides education for four to 11-year-olds

Christian and Muslim parents in east London have been left "outraged" after their children were allocated places at a Hindu school with a no meat policy.

Twenty-one children were overlooked for their six preferred primary schools and were instead given places at Avanti Court Primary School in Barkingside.

The 11 children whose parents refused Avanti have no place for September.

Redbridge Council said none of the children would be of statutory school age before January.

Avanti Court Primary School has declined to comment.

'Meditation and yoga'
    Naz Qureshi, the Muslim mother of a four-year-old from South Woodford, said: "I was gob smacked and outraged when they told me I didn't get any of my six chosen choices of schools."

Liz Beck said she was concerned her son would struggle to fit in
    "I didn't want her to go to a Hindu school so I am surprised the council would think I would accept a faith school which I didn't even apply for."

Liz Beck, also from South Woodford, said her four-year-old son would struggle to fit in.

She said: "Culturally it's quite different and even though we don't want to shelter our son we feel it would be difficult for him to be in that environment where it's quite different from what we believe".

"I feel really angry and just let down, you would expect your child to get into a school they can at least walk too."

But one parent whose children do go to the school said it offered a positive environment for all children and another said "anyone who gets a place at the Avanti Court is extremely lucky".

Under current law, children in England must be in education from the term after their fifth birthday, but the law also allows for pupils to start school earlier.

The Department for Education said: "All parents have the right to appeal against the refusal of a place at any school."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28131933

No different to only Halal or Kosher meat served in Islamic and Jewish schools. Why are people up in arms? So its OK to have a halal or Kosher policy for school dinners but not OK to have only vegetarian for Hindu schools. Personally we should stop pandering to all religious schools and adhere to secularism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Sounds pretty good to me.

Me too. I am a vegetarian.
  • Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be the only person who finds this story hilarious can I? I'm a right meat eater but I can't really fault the school here.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    No different to only Halal or Kosher meat served in Islamic and Jewish schools. Why are people up in arms? So its OK to have a halal or Kosher policy for school dinners but not OK to have only vegetarian for Hindu schools. Personally we should stop pandering to all religious schools and adhere to secularism.

They should all be made to eat bacon sandwiches they don't know what they are missing out and its the biggest temptation to converted veggies :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    They should all be made to eat bacon sandwiches they don't know what they are missing out and its the biggest temptation to converted veggies :D

Not me. I could never eat meat. I was born a vegetarian. My brothers went on to eat meat but I have stayed a veggie. Cant stand the smell of bacon. Cant walk past a butchers without feeling sick. Having said that I do not pander to any religious dogma:D
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    Not me. I could never eat meat. I was born a vegetarian. My brothers went on to eat meat but I have stayed a veggie. Cant stand the smell of bacon. Cant walk past a butchers without feeling sick. Having said that I do not pander to any religious dogma:D

How can you resist the smell of it :o think of the nice thick bread and plenty of brown sauce as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the parents are puzzled by the idea of having their children attend a non faith school that gives children a Hindu-influenced educational experience.
    interested in their child having a Hindu-influenced educational experience.

The schools promote holistic, responsible lifestyles through a vegetarian diet, a curriculum that integrates yoga and meditation and a built environment that actively fosters environmental concern. By drawing on the teachings of Krishna Chaitanya, Avanti Schools Trust schools embrace a universal, inclusive approach to spirituality, aimed at rekindling a personal, loving and spontaneous relationship with the divine (Krishna).

iFoundation is the religious authority (Hindu) for the school. iFoundation draws upon the teachings of Krishna Chaitanya as practised by ISKCON, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness

What makes the school distinctive is its values-based approach to the humanities, which encourages pupils to value themselves, others and the environment, empowering them to be effective learners and good citizens. The school also offers opportunities to study ethics, philosophy, Sanskrit (as the root of almost all eastern and western languages), leadership training, meditation and yoga.
    http://www.avanti.org.uk/avanticourt/section.php?section=37
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Bacon doesn't even remotely tempt me and I ate it up til the age of 17, will never go back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a strong Indian Hindu faith school with links to the local Jewish Secondary School. The mix is mostly Indian. I can see the issues with Muslim parents who didn't choose it.

The same thing is happening in Slough - at the Khalsa Sikh Secondary.

Keep it simple - don't allocate places at faith schools to parents who haven't chosen it.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No meat is a better option than cheap sausages and turkey twizzlers, i should think.

The problem is clearly in the way the council allocates school places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the parents are puzzled by the idea of having their children attend a non faith school that gives children a Hindu-influenced educational experience.
    http://www.avanti.org.uk/avanticourt/section.php?section=37
    Sorry it is a faith school.
    Collective worship includes Kirtan (chanting mantras), meditation and prayer.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Th if I was going to any faith school then Hindu or Buddhist would be my choice.

But i feel strongly that religion has no place in Britain's education system, if families wish to teach/practice it outside of school, whatever, but school is for learning about REAL stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    The parents should just send their children to school with ham or beef sandwiches then
    At Avanti Court Primary children are not permitted to bring in packed lunches for fear that children may share food which may be against individuals' dietary requirements
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something MUST be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Th if I was going to any faith school then Hindu or Buddhist would be my choice.
    Would be my last choice.
    Hindu religion believes in karma and reincarnation.
    Traditional attitudes on disability can be that it is a result of parental sin or sins in the disabled person's previous life. Likewise traditional attitudes on caste and poverty can be of karma.

In UK Citizenship survey results Hindu also rate the second lowest on charitable giving, below those of no religion, Buddhist are the lowest. On volunteering practicing Hindu scores barely above those of No religion, and non practicing Hindu scores lowest of all and below those of no religion.

It is a religion at odds with Christianity, from how Christianity views poverty and disability, to what Christianity considers virtuous behaviour, the greatest virtue in Christianity being charitable giving.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this down to that religious nutter/corrupt bastard Tony Blair?

Faith schools... what a moronic idea. Richard Dawkins must be turning in his grave.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I don't see why parents would be bothered about it being a strict no meat school.

Essentially most kids at break time eat crisps, chocolate, bananas, oranges, apples which are all veggie.

At lunch time chips and margarita pissa-i know s isn't the right spelling but for some reason my comp doesn't type the proper letter!, baked spuds and beans or mushroom soup dipped in bread will probably be being served.

I doubt many kids will have a problem with the above.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Redbridge Council said none of the children would be of statutory school age before January.
    So they're all pre-schoolers? Surely they could take the place offered for September, then pressure the council to find something else? Under fives probably don't have very strong opinions on vegetarianism.