What happened to the rumoured Sky Bravo return?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Almost a year ago they were talking about a new channel to rival Dave:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/09/bskyb-male-channel-itv4-dave

Where is it? :o

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "considering" ie "we are thinking about it" that doesn't mean they were going ahead with it maybe after all considerations it wasn't worth it and was dropped.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    "considering" ie "we are thinking about it" that doesn't mean they were going ahead with it maybe after all considerations it wasn't worth it and was dropped.

They lose the champions league next season to BT and they say they will focus more on general entertainment. Here's hoping for some improvement on there channels..
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They made it into Sky Atlantic as soon as they acquired the rights to HBO's back catalogue from what I can remember
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably patched the idea when BT got French football.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    They made it into Sky Atlantic as soon as they acquired the rights to HBO's back catalogue from what I can remember

That would make sense if the rumours didn't come nearly 2 years after Sky Atlantic launched...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Sky have too many "entertainment" channels as it is and none of them are very good at what they do. There was a podcast from The Guardian a while back showing how people had no idea which Sky show was on which Sky channel. It's all a mess, especially considering how Sky Living have become less female-orientated and Sky Atlantic are showing British comedies that wouldn't be out of place on Sky 1.

Frankly I think the Sky channels - or at least the "entertainment" channels - need one hell of a revamp, because I think it's a complete mess.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One that could be coming to our screens soon :D:D:D
    Ta-Da — http://www.electric-sofa.com/
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

Cannot wait for this, been waiting too long :(:(:(
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    ocav wrote: »
    Cannot wait for this, been waiting too long :(:(:(

Ah, the Electric Sofa channels, how many years have they been planning to launch now? So long that one of the long running US chat shows they were rumoured to have got the rights to (Letterman) is now ending next year.
    If they ever do launch, going by the quality of their website, they won’t be around for long.

As for Sky, I agree their entertainment channels are a bit all over the place. Sometimes its impossible to predict what channel a programme will end up on, like one of their most recent big US imports – The Blacklist is on Sky Living. What the...? Its would fit better on Sky One or Sky Atlantic without a doubt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electric Sofa, or some kid sitting on his sofa playing schedules! I love the fact they claim to have teamed up with a "top" comedy writer to bring some of his comedies back - in feature length form. I wonder who that is? Maybe Eric Chappell, I cant wait to see Rising Damp without Rigsby or Home To Roost without Henry or maybe we can look forward to a feature length episode of Haggard!
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably patched the idea when BT got French football.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    There was a podcast from The Guardian a while back showing how people had no idea which Sky show was on which Sky channel.

Bearing in mind that by "people" you mean a pop quiz of the three people on the Media Talk panel that week of which at least two, and I think all three, do not have Sky.

As I recall it was in response to the news of Sky Living rebranding to get rid of the pink image, because it was out of touch with the audience. People have a hideous stereotype that women are only interested in things like reality and fashion and the traditional Living fare. Sky Living is still a female skewing channel, but based on what women do watch. A lot of the crime procedurals do skew female, which is why most of them air on Sky Living.

And Sky Atlantic was launched as a channel to show high end programming from both sides of the Atlantic, hence the name and the idents combing both. It was never meant to be just American programmes.

As Stuart Murphy said in 2011 before it launched:

"Sky Atlantic HD is unashamedly dedicated to quality. As the home of HBO in the UK, it's the place where the world's best talent – whether on screen or off, American or homegrown – come to do some of their most creative work."

There are certainly some questionable decisions such Blue Bloods on Sky Atlantic and Hannibal on Sky Living when they should be the other way around. But those are judgement calls on quality
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mavreela wrote: »
    There are certainly some questionable decisions such Blue Bloods on Sky Atlantic and Hannibal on Sky Living when they should be the other way around. But those are judgement calls on quality

I agree, but i guess its just one opinion against another really.
    Personally i think Blue Bloods fits better on Sky One. It's not 'premium' enough for Atlantic, or femail skewed enough for Living. again, Hannibal should be on Atlantic or Sky One.
    And my biggest gripe of the lot - The Blacklist. While i agree some crime procedurals do skew female, i don't think this does at all, I'd put it on Sky One. Its really out of place next to Britains Next Top Model and Four Weddings! And what about CSI, ive never really watched it, but is it really aimed at women and not men???

It's all just a bit of a mess to me.
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [url=http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/male-targeted-shows-huge-female-viewerships-defy-marketing-cliches_b58613
    ]Based on US ratings[/url], but "long-running procedurals like CSI and Law & Order: SVU… boast an overwhelmingly female audience."

Of Hannibal, Bryan Fuller said that he "was surprised at the demographic that the show was reaching. A significant portion was young, smart, well-read women"

Am not familiar with, or at least remember, seeing anything about which way The Blacklist skews (other than older), but I do not see anything about it which would make it an exception.

It also seems odd to day that The Blacklist is out of place with Britain's Next Top Model when its lead-in on NBC is The Voice, and will move to Thursday in 2015 to follow The Biggest Loser.