Options

Perfecting the C.V.

Comments

• Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Looks much improved, but there is a still a way to go. Here are few more observations..

Objective: The first part of what you have written here is your covering letter. It should not be on your CV. I would try something like.

"A fresh start in a challenging and rewarding role as an invaluable member of a friendly and successful team. "

Education: Add more details. Something like:

Date to Date, Flashington School.
    8 GCSES including maths and English at A-C grade.

Date to Date, Flashington Collage.
    BTEC Diploma in Computer Studies
    BTEC Diploma in information technology

I still think you can make more of your computer skills. Something like...

IT skills:
    Being a computer enthusiast for over 20 years has given me a proficiency with both hardware and software.

Hardware:
    New PC builds
    Upgrades of all PC components.
    Technical problem solving
    Networking

Software:
    MS office applications
    Adobe Photoshop
    Website design
    Basic HTML
    Basic CSS

Also

References bit should be at the very end of the CV

Lose the excessive capitalisation in the "Possible notes of importance" Don't call it "Possible notes of importance"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would just like to say i have NEVER personalised a CV for a role and i have never had any issues getting interviews. If your CV is good enough then a few words in the covering letter is enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Thanks! :)
    Not too sure how much shorter I can make this?
    )

You have cut out the wrong bits. Keep all the specifics about the job and the tasks. Lose the waffle like "The role here is to..."

Info about your most recent role should be quite extensive. This is probably the most important bit of the page. Could you go into more detail about the reports you created, the importance they held for the company and any changes that came about as a result of them?
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet you're sick of me :p

Vast_Girth is right about the objective section. I didn't offer any pointers on that because I felt I'd said enough.
    Not too sure how much shorter I can make this?

It's not about making it shorter, it's about saying everything you need to say as briefly as possible. Now that you've cut back the waffle on the two engineering jobs, you need to add in a bit more detail about the skills you used.

Do you work in a team? Do you work alone? Do you have individual responsibility for any parts of your job (do you do something that nobody else does?) Do you manage/supervise anyone? How do you communicate the information you collect from testing? How do you communicate with colleagues more generally? Do you have to use your initiative? Do you have to follow instructions/policy/protocol?

The Waitrose job needs some work. At the moment you're just making some very broad claims without any evidence. Which department of Waitrose did you work in? Make clearer reference to the actual tasks that you did in that role. You should list things like stock management, stock rotation, merchandising, cash handling, customer service along with those old favourites of team work and communication. This is could just be a list of tasks.

If you think computer skills are something you'd like to highlight more, I'd follow Vast_Girth's lead, but beware that unless these are relevant to a job then you're just taking up extra space.
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I would just like to say i have NEVER personalised a CV for a role and i have never had any issues getting interviews. If your CV is good enough then a few words in the covering letter is enough.

Which brings us onto something that is actually more important than the CV (in my experience anyway). You need a strong covering letter to send out with every CV, Flash.
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm in the process of writing my CV (not needed one for the last 23 years!:() and I'm having difficulties in differentiating between "responsibilities" and "achievements". Any suggestions/examples would be gratefully received.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm in the process of writing my CV (not needed one for the last 23 years!:() and I'm having difficulties in differentiating between "responsibilities" and "achievements". Any suggestions/examples would be gratefully received.

I am responsible for providing excellent customer experience.
    I achieved a 20% increase in customer satisfaction rates.

Responsibility: Creating a new company website.
    Achievement: The website was created on time, under budget and was a great hit with customers. .
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Nattie,

Sending you positive vibes for CV writing - you'll be fine!

Responsibilities are the day-to-day stuff you do in a role. This is the boring stuff.

Achievements are evidence that demonstrate your skills or show how you are valued by the company/team. Did you do something that made the company more money? Did you complete a piece of work that saved money? Did you do something to increase visitors/customer numbers? Did you do something to improve customer service? For these you generally need some hard facts (Revenue increased by 27% when this method was introduced) You may have received special praise or even an award. Awards don't necessarily mean a glittering ceremony and a fancy statuette. Employee of the month is an obvious example. I once 'won' a regional 'award' for some work that I did. The 'award' was just a letter from our company's regional director but I was very proud of it and always reference it on my CV/applications.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not an easy task, I'm sure, and for the average employer, they probably get counless CV's per week, if not per day, so it's important to stand out and not seem like minimal effort has been put in to one.

What I've got thus far:

And advice is very much welcome.

Thanks!

Your personal profile is utter, utter rubbish (sorry). Being healthy and punctual is the least expectation that any employer would have of a potential employee. If I got this CV sent to me it would be deleted within 2 minutes.

Your personal profile needs to be a paragraph about achievements in your career and a short statement about the sort of role you are looking for an able to do.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I'll remove the objective bit, place that in my cover letter as suggested. I've still yet to get around to my educational details, though I will do it as per recommendation.
    I still think you can make more of your computer skills. Something like...

IT skills:
    Being a computer enthusiast for over 20 years has given me a proficiency with both hardware and software.

Hardware:
    New PC builds
    Upgrades of all PC components.
    Technical problem solving
    Networking

Software:
    MS office applications
    Adobe Photoshop
    Website design
    Basic HTML
    Basic CSS
    In Bold, I can't put that, cause if I'm called up on it I'll fail. I could probably upgrade some hardware, or connect to an existing network (maybe even create one) but that's about it. I don't know the first thing about CSS (except that it's a programming language).
    I bet you're sick of me.
    Haha, no, not at all. I appreciate you coming back and further assisting.
    It's not about making it shorter, it's about saying everything you need to say as briefly as possible. Now that you've cut back the waffle on the two engineering jobs, you need to add in a bit more detail about the skills you used.

Do you work in a team? Do you work alone? Do you have individual responsibility for any parts of your job (do you do something that nobody else does?) Do you manage/supervise anyone? How do you communicate the information you collect from testing? How do you communicate with colleagues more generally? Do you have to use your initiative? Do you have to follow instructions/policy/protocol?

The Waitrose job needs some work. At the moment you're just making some very broad claims without any evidence. Which department of Waitrose did you work in? Make clearer reference to the actual tasks that you did in that role. You should list things like stock management, stock rotation, merchandising, cash handling, customer service along with those old favourites of team work and communication. This is could just be a list of tasks.
    Duly noted.
    Which brings us onto something that is actually more important than the CV (in my experience anyway). You need a strong covering letter to send out with every CV, Flash.
    One thing at a time. ;-) Let me get the C.V. perfected (or as near as can be) and then we'll work on the covering letter, or an idea of one. I suspect that would need to be personalised, moreso than the actual CV.
    Feel free to hop on. :)
    Your personal profile is utter, utter rubbish (sorry). Being healthy and punctual is the least expectation that any employer would have of a potential employee. If I got this CV sent to me it would be deleted within 2 minutes.

Your personal profile needs to be a paragraph about achievements in your career and a short statement about the sort of role you are looking for an able to do.
    Thanks (I think) :p but please see the revised document. The one on my first post no longer stands.
  • Options
    Sebastian1992Sebastian1992 Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personal profiles should always be written in the third person.

Avoid using 'I', 'myself' and similar terms.

Ideally your c.v should fit on a single A4 piece of paper.

Obviously, it maybe different if you're writing a technical c.v.

Given you're trying to change fields you want a skills based c.v rather than a professional c.v.

This means you are highlighting abilities rather than previous roles.

In your personal profile make sure you tailor it to the role, and explain which skills from previous roles are transferable to the role you are applying for.

If you need any more advice let me know:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In Bold, I can't put that, cause if I'm called up on it I'll fail. I could probably upgrade some hardware, or connect to an existing network (maybe even create one) but that's about it. .

That's what you had put on your original version, just written in a more straightforward way. If you can do it then leaving out the list would be advisable.

I don't know the first thing about CSS (except that it's a programming language).

CSS is a fundamental part of web design. If you know nothing about css, you can't really put web design on your CV.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Bold, I can't put that, cause if I'm called up on it I'll fail. I could probably upgrade some hardware, or connect to an existing network (maybe even create one) but that's about it. I don't know the first thing about CSS (except that it's a programming language).

To be honest, unless you're going for a job that involves installing PC hardware then you don't need to really put anything much more than "Understanding of PC hardware configuration and maintenance". Similar with the HTML. If you were going for an IT job then these skills would be up in your key skills in employment history and not other info.

If it isn't a direct IT job then you're unlikely to be getting into the nuts & bolts of the hardware, and so the list of applications you can use is probably the key focus. The main aim is to show them you're not afraid of the computer. Make sure this list includes any that they specifically mention in the job ad. (i.e. If they ask for Excel, then expand your "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office, including data analysis with Excel"). Again, if that were a key item on the job ad then consider promoting this to one of your key skills in your current job rather than an additional skill throwaway at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [snip]If you need any more advice let me know:).
    Thank You! :)
    That's what you had put on your original version, just written in a more straightforward way. If you can do it then leaving out the list would be advisable.
    I never put that I had extensive computing skills. :p
    CSS is a fundamental part of web design. If you know nothing about css, you can't really put web design on your CV.
    I guess I'm well behind the times then. When I did website design back in College (so this was 9 or 10 years ago) it was mostly about HTML. I guess that's all changed now. I'll remove it from the CV.
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    To be honest, unless you're going for a job that involves installing PC hardware then you don't need to really put anything much more than "Understanding of PC hardware configuration and maintenance". Similar with the HTML. If you were going for an IT job then these skills would be up in your key skills in employment history and not other info.

If it isn't a direct IT job then you're unlikely to be getting into the nuts & bolts of the hardware, and so the list of applications you can use is probably the key focus. The main aim is to show them you're not afraid of the computer.
    You make a good point, and I'm not going to be looking for a computing role, so with the exception of MS & Photoshop, I'll remove the rest from the CV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm well behind the times then. When I did website design back in College (so this was 9 or 10 years ago) it was mostly about HTML. I guess that's all changed now. I'll remove it from the CV.

That's why it's not on mine. I created the departmental website when I was in university, but that was back in 1993 and it was done by typing pure HTML into notepad, creating images in Paint and then using FTP to get it on the server. That's such a long way away from current technology I dare not even mention it. They'd think I was captain caveman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's why it's not on mine. I created the departmental website when I was in university, but that was back in 1993 and it was done by typing pure HTML into notepad, creating images in Paint and then using FTP to get it on the server. That's such a long way away from current technology I dare not even mention it. They'd think I was captain caveman.
    Sorry for the delay, I wasn't aware there had been a reply. I do remember those days though, yeah. Notepad, MS Front Page and a little Dreamweaver. How far technology have changed though; I don' think I'd be able to keep up with it now; my brain isn't that well tuned.

Anyway, a cover letter and CV update:
    [Address Line 1]
    [Address Line 2]
    [Address Line 3]
    [Post Code]
    [Telephone Number]
    [Email]

Dear [Name]

I am writing to express my interest regarding the position of [Job Role/Title]; that I became aware of through [Details]. It is my hope to secure a job role that is both challenging and rewarding, and I endeavour to join a friendly and successful team.

Throughout my career, I have maintained a punctual, reliable and enthusiastic individual, interested in developing new and existing skills. I am capable of working as part of a successful team, or instead by myself depending on previous job requirements. I can also follow instruction, and am confident at using my own initiative when it is necessary.

[Paragraph to detail specific role likeness, depending on position applied]

Should you desire any other information, please don't hesitate to contact me. Otherwise, I appreciate you taking the time to review my application, and I look forward to further discussing this positon with you.

Yours Faithfully[/email]
    [Address Line 1]
    [Address Line 2]
    [Address Line 3]
    [Post Code]
    [Telephone Number]
    [email]

Education and Qualifications:

• AQA GCSE English, Grade C, June 2004, Stroud College
    • AQA GCSE Mathematics, Grade C, June 2004, Stroud College
    • City & Guilds Level 2 Key Skills in Information Technology, July 2005, Stroud College
    • City & Guilds Level 2 Key Skills in Application of Number, July 2005, Stroud College
    • Edexcel BTEC First Diploma, Stroud College, July 2004
    • Edexcel BTEC National Diploma, Stroud College, July 2006

Career and Employment History:

October 2015 – Present – Qualification Technician – Bentley
    Involves, cross-referencing, inspecting, building, testing and reporting on singular high pressure gate valves for the Oil and Gas industry prior to release and mass production. Valves are rigorously tested to various test pressures (up to a maximum of 22,500 psi), and between (typically) -60 and +180 degrees centigrade.

April 2006 – October 2015 – Assembler/Tester – Bentley
    Similar to the above position, though in a different department; a somewhat less involved role with an individual product and more a production line aspect instead. Both jobs within L.B. Bentley mixed between solo and team work.

2003 – 2006 – Retail Assistant – Dry Goods – Waitrose
    A part-time position whilst in full time education; involved working as part of a busy team in a high pressure shop floor environment. This position helped gauge an insight into the retail world, and further enabled me to hone my communication and organisational skills. The role required excellent time management, stock management, reliability, customer support and use of initiative.

References can be presented on request.

Personal Information:

• I hold a full and clean UK Driving Licence
    • Organized, Self-Motivated, Reliable, Punctual and Presentable
    • Positive Attitude
    • Willingness to learn
    • Willing to work on a shift basis, including weekends and/or evenings

IT Abilities: Computer-literate, knowledge of MS Word, and Adobe Photoshop

Interests: Running, Road Cycling, Photography, Writing,
    [/email]
  • Options
    Sebastian1992Sebastian1992 Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to look at your sentence structure, the sentence, "I have maintained a punctual.." doesn't scan right..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the delay, I wasn't aware there had been a reply. I do remember those days though, yeah. Notepad, MS Front Page and a little Dreamweaver. How far technology have changed though; I don' think I'd be able to keep up with it now; my brain isn't that well tuned.
    :

Front page? Pah, luxury mate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, a cover letter and CV update:

Comments on that.

Cover letter:
    The second para "Throughout my career..." is a bit windy, and probably this is not needed, jump in with two paragraphs specific to the skills you'd bring the role. And leave out wishy-washy phrases such as punctual/keen/reliable/enthusiastic as those are not specific job skills any more than being washed and alive are. In reality these two paragraphs are shaped by the job advert. Echo the main points they ask for, in more or less the same order, and give specific skills you have that meet them.

CV:
    I always put education at the end, I think it gives a better reverse chronological flow to the entire document, and I also think the skills I have learned through work are much more relevant than reading GCSE text books 25+ years ago.

Your text under the jobs read more as a job description for those roles, but the prospective employer want to know what YOU did with the role, what skills it gave you, and what skills you will bring with you to them.

Personal Info:
    Keep the first (driving licence) and last (working shifts) the others, possibly add UK passport, willingness to travel for the company if needed (e.g. visiting customers). The middle are padding, save the space for expanded details on your jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Firstly i would like to say that the latest version is a world away from what you started with. Many many times better! What you have now would be quite acceptable to use.

Not to say there are not improvements to be made. I agree with the poster above and would just add..

You dont need to repeat "Stroud college" 6 times. Just put it at the top.

Remove the word "involves" from the first job description.

See if you can improve the second job description. At the moment it says "just like my current job, but not as good". Was there anything unique about this role? What did you learn here that you didn't know before you started? How many valves did you have to do a day? Was ensuring all were done correctly important and how did you achieve this?

Maybe you could add something about how essential your testing was to the safety of these products?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One tip of trying to find what the key skills you have is to think about how you'd advertise for someone to do it instead of you. On that note I found a vacancy on totaljobs.com that has a similar feel to your first position...
    My client a leading Tewkesbury based manufacturer is currently looking for a number of Assembly & Test Technicians to join them ASAP on a 6 month contract. Candidates should have previous experience of industries including Aerospace, Automotive or other safety critical sectors.

Key Responsibilities
    * Take responsibility for the assembling and testing valves and actuators from parts to final inspection
    * Must possess good fault finding/problem solving skills in order to rectify test failures and aftermarket failures
    * Carry out various assembly and test operations and perform clean, strip and flow matching duties
    * Previous assembly and test experience in an aerospace or equivalent (close tolerance and complex components
    * Mechanical and Hydraulic assembly/test experience would be ideal
    * Flexible to work a variety of shifts (days, bridging or nights - it is likely the shifts will be either bridging or nights though)

If that's the job you were doing, you could put it on your CV as...

April 2006 – October 2015 – Assembler and Tester – L.B. Bentley Valves Ltd.
    * Responsible for the assembly of high value deep sea gas valves from individual parts.
    * Testing final assembly and certifying the finished item to international standards, which requires a keen attention to detail and accuracy of measurement.
    * Troubleshooting failed assemblies and rectifying faults as required, sometimes with the cooperation of the entire team.
    * (did you do that bit about aftermarket?)
    * Individual responsibility for time and inventory management to ensure the workflow on the production line ran smoothly for all.

(Note that I put the full company name on the header)
    now I wonder if anyone will notice I've been on totaljobs.com in my coffee break, oops.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    It's probably been mentioned but the best CV's are achievement based such as:-

Implemented xxx system resulting in...
    Reduced turnover by xx%

Companies want to see how you have added value in the places you have worked.
  • Options
    tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly i would like to say that the latest version is a world away from what you started with. Many many times better! What you have now would be quite acceptable to use.

Not to say there are not improvements to be made. I agree with the poster above and would just add..

You dont need to repeat "Stroud college" 6 times. Just put it at the top.

Remove the word "involves" from the first job description.

See if you can improve the second job description. At the moment it says "just like my current job, but not as good". Was there anything unique about this role? What did you learn here that you didn't know before you started? How many valves did you have to do a day? Was ensuring all were done correctly important and how did you achieve this?

Maybe you could add something about how essential your testing was to the safety of these products?

BIB 1: I have "Stroud College, 2002-2005, because I was there during those years, followed by the courses I took and grades.

BIB 2: definitely take that comment out!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You need to look at your sentence structure, the sentence, "I have maintained a punctual.." doesn't scan right..
    How so? How would you restructure it?
    The second para "Throughout my career..." is a bit windy, and probably this is not needed, jump in with two paragraphs specific to the skills you'd bring the role. [snip] In reality these two paragraphs are shaped by the job advert. Echo the main points they ask for, in more or less the same order, and give specific skills you have that meet them.
    I wouldn't be able to properly fulfil this until I've found a role to apply for.
    I always put education at the end, I think it gives a better reverse chronological flow to the entire document, and I also think the skills I have learned through work are much more relevant than reading GCSE text books 25+ years ago.
    Done.
    Your text under the jobs read more as a job description for those roles, but the prospective employer want to know what YOU did with the role, what skills it gave you, and what skills you will bring with you to them.
    It's all fine listing skills I have obtained, but unless I'm looking to move into a similar role, I fail to see how they'd be useful, or attractive.
    Keep the first (driving licence) and last (working shifts) the others, possibly add UK passport, willingness to travel for the company if needed (e.g. visiting customers). The middle are padding, save the space for expanded details on your jobs.
    Also done.
    Many thanks!
    There's more unique and specific about the role I am in now. It's essentially the same job, just more involved.
    As mentioned above, I'm trying to be a little more generic, cause I doubt [would be employers] of a different business would be all that interested in what I've bringing from a factory background. I can add more details, but I don't want to overload employers with information that seems otherwise irrelevant.
    One tip of trying to find what the key skills you have is to think about how you'd advertise for someone to do it instead of you. On that note I found a vacancy on totaljobs.com that has a similar feel to your first position.
    Appreciate the job search, but I'm wanting to completely change career here, that's why I'm seemingly struggling to better detail my CV without catering it to a similar role. I want out of this completely.

I know what you've provided is just an example, but just want to make sure we're on the same page. :)
    now I wonder if anyone will notice I've been on totaljobs.com in my coffee break, oops.
    Assuming you're good at your job, if anyone queries it, just ask management how the pay rises are going. ;-)

I'll continue to make changes and post back in due course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay, CV amended, cover letter is going to take a bit more time I think.
    Career and Employment History:

October 2015 – Present – Qualification Technician – L.B. Bentley
    Encompassing the qualification of new and existing products;
    • Simulating ocean pressure depth within hyperbaric chambers.
    • Simulating temperature differential within environmental chambers.
    • Configuring test equipment for specific roles and purposes.
    • Producing detailed reports for customers during, or at the end of a product run.
    • Duties also included those stated in previous role, in many cases to a move involved approach.

April 2006 – October 2015 – Assembler/Tester – L.B. Bentley
    Focusing on production line work;
    • Responsible for the inspection and assembly of high pressure deep sea gate valves.
    • Testing the final assembly, and certifying finished items to international standard; required keen attention to detail and accuracy of measurement.
    • Troubleshooting failed assemblies and rectifying faults as required, sometimes with the cooperation of other team members.

2003 – 2006 – Retail Assistant – Dry Goods – Waitrose
    A part-time position whilst in full time education; involved working as part of a busy team in a high pressure shop floor environment. This position helped gauge an insight into the retail world, and further enabled me to hone my communication and organisational skills. The role required excellent time management, stock management, reliability, customer support and use of initiative.

References can be presented on request.

Education and Qualifications
    Stroud College 2004 - 200

• AQA GCSE English, Grade C
    • AQA GCSE Mathematics, Grade C
    • City & Guilds Level 2 Key Skills in Information Technology
    • City & Guilds Level 2 Key Skills in Application of Number
    • Edexcel BTEC First Diploma
    • Edexcel BTEC National Diploma

Personal Information:

• I hold a full and clean UK Driving Licence
    • I hold a full UK Passport, and would be willing to travel if desired
    • Willing to work on a shift basis, including weekends and/or evenings

IT Abilities: Computer-literate, knowledge of MS Word, and Adobe Photoshop

Interests: Running, Road Cycling, Photography, Writing,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appreciate the job search, but I'm wanting to completely change career here, that's why I'm seemingly struggling to better detail my CV without catering it to a similar role. I want out of this completely.

I know what you've provided is just an example, but just want to make sure we're on the same page. :)

The job search was just a quick look-see how other people are describing the jobs you've had help me think of how you could describe them on your CV, not to let you know there's similar jobs going.

Yes, it was just an example. But I think the change of field makes it more important to move away from the prose description of the job and focus on the key transferrable skills that enabled you to do that job, if you prefer try to structure the bullet point as

* <key skill> used to <perform task> giving <results>

Of course, you won't be able to fully finish your CV until you identify a job to apply for, and then you can format your responsibilities / skills / results to fit the role you're going for.