1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Nico_DNico_D Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Its probably the actors used and the writing that's at fault

I'd say it's most the writing at the minute, there is not contrast between decent and villainous chacrthers at the minute as almost everyone is a douche bag with few likabke or sympathetic. so although you can still be entertained by them you ultimately don't really care about any of them.

An example would be the scene with rakesh and Chrissie where he used violence against her to get what he wanted and sadly that seemed to be the end of the interaction. Because she was behaving like such a pantomime villain nobody really cared.

In scenarios where physically stronger men use violence against women the audience should always be horrified, but due to the cartoonish nature of the show nobody was.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh c'mon Sulla - you're intelligent enough to know I'm not making excuses for the character.

I'm commenting on the narrative & directorial direction of the show.

Look at a couple of DS's headlines for ED for next week.

"Cain attacks Charity in an explosive scene"

"Pierce turns very nasty by framing Paddy"

ED has become a soap who's only purpose is to chase after the OMG Squee Lolz twitter audience - and its doing so because it knows by targeting that audience it will win itself soap awards.

ED has sold its sophistication and integrity for cheap sensationalism and teenage fanfiction scenarios simply because winning awards has become more important than intelligent storytelling.

I have loathed him since his first appearance.

I refuse to hero worship a thug who attacks women and pensioners.

He has not changed one bit>:(>:(
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    BiB 1 : It's pretty much ignored on here, yes. :kitty:
    BiB 2 : "especially"? What compared to murder, rape etc? Seriously?? :o

Dear god, some of you people really scare me sometimes.

The thing is though what gets discussed on here is about soaps not real people. Those characters that get beaten or murdered or whatever 9 and a half times out of 10 deserve it as they've done horrible things themselves at some point. If Robert got killed it would be very hard to feel sorry for him, it'd be looked on as karma for all the awful things he's done including murder himself. Dross boasting openly about stealing a harmless innocent dog and sending it to a fate worse than death (which it will as death isn't the worst thing that can happen to an animal) because he's a greedy consciousless money hungry shitstick but won't earn it honestly on the other hand, is appalling, undefendable and inexcusable>:(.
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Before I get rape and murder thrown at me I will say that it is something that I despise and yes even in soaps.

Now to the point about the dognapping it was revealed tonight that Ross has already been doing this for a while which means poor dogs have been snatched from their homes and loved ones. Ross was boasting about how he kidnaps the dogs and how much money he makes but did the writers not care to think about the viewers who have dogs and how horrible it would be if something like that happened to them.

My friend was out walking her dog last year and a van pulled beside her and out came 3 men and 2 of them held her down as the other one snatched the lead from her hand and then they threw her dog into the van and drove off.
    She never got her dog back and she had it for 7 years from it was a pup.

To this very day she has never got over it and will always wonder what happened to her dog after it was taken away.

:(:(:( That's horrific, your poor friend and her poor dog. I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like, wondering what happened to my dog and thinking of her scared, unhappy and wondering why I wasn't there would be far worse than anything else they'd cared to throw at me:(.
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So - which characters should they be giving the storylines to :confused:

How about ED's nominee at the Inside Soap awards for best actor - Danny Miller (nope, you can't stand him)
    or
    Their nominee for best actress Lucy Pargeter, who's last major role was to hold & hug Aaron as he tearfully told her his daddy raped him
    or
    How about their nominee for best newcomer Liv - oh look, another sattelite character from the Robron saga

or maybe you mean Victoria - last major storyline was being duffed up by Holly's drug-dealer - so well thought of as an actress is she, the show couldn't even find a role for her in the departure storyline of her long-time screen brother Andy - but never fear, she's now been hooked into the "Lets get Chrissie" campaign with Robron, so that should ensure she gets more screentime.

or do you mean Moira - last major story was an HIV scare - which allowed her to dump Cain and jump in the sack with James.

Or maybe you mean Leyla - whose last storyline was to jump in the sack with Nikhill 5 minutes before he left the show

or how about Brenda - who, having survived cancer - wasn't even given a single scene with David - who also survived cancer.

or maybe you mean Finn - who's primary role is simply to be wheeled out as the comedy poof once in a blue moon

or could you mean Larry the closet gay millionaire - who still has an old flame mooning after him even though he threatened him with a shotgun

Its not the characters who are being used that's the problem - its the imbecilic & moronic plot driven storylines - where every single character is written like they're little more than childish hormonal teenagers

Agree with the whole post, but in particular the bit in bold.

I would add, perhaps there is a perception that those actors that are deemed to be "crowd pleasers" and "award winners" are the actors that tend to get the best writing and direction thrown at them, while the others have to make do with the crap?

There is far too much time and money spent on "spectacular" stunts that very rarely live up to the hype, which could be better spent on creating character-led dialogue and real humour rather than cheap slapstick.

And if ED thinks they have half a castful of actors they think can't handle a storyline, perhaps the casting staff is as imbecilic and moronic as the writing staff seem to be.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I have loathed him since his first appearance.

I refuse to hero worship a thug who attacks women and pensioners.

He has not changed one bit>:(>:(

Yes, Cain is still unlikeable.>:(

And I certainly don't hero worship the likes of Skank Charity.>:(

Great epic rants from sheepiefarm and Gambit, by the way.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Cain is still unlikeable.>:(
    He has never attacked defenceless women or pensioners
  • Options
    Nico_DNico_D Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about tom king and zack blew up his caravan after he hit Debbie
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He has attacked several women, including his cousin/shag, your precious Skank Charity (more than once)

Not to mention Tom King and Len Reynolds.
  • Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,447
    Forum Member
    FW = First words in episodes
    BB = Last words Before Break
    AB = First words After Break
    LW = Last Words in episode

Tonight’s episode appearances are confirmed as:

+ Dan (FW)
    + Kerry
    + Zak (BB)
    + Amelia