Any strange hobbies?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stamp collecting. people my age think I'm weird, but I think they're weird for going out purely with the intention of getting pissed and acting offensively in public.
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stamp collecting. people my age think I'm weird, but I think they're weird for going out purely with the intention of getting pissed and acting offensively in public.

Heck, that's just what pensioners do now days. You stick to your stamps, keep it traditional. :)
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjh84 wrote: »
    I've just got myself into using Fimo clay & have been looking at making reborning dolls when i get better at the fiddly bits (heavy handed). I think their are beautiful little things. Do you have any pics of yours?

Yes, i'll pm you.
    I would do it the opposite way to you, I wouldn't mind having a go at the sculpting side of it, now I have got to grips with the painting. To create one from absolute start to finish, a total ooak, would be ace.
  • silkdragonsilkdragon Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make handmade cards, complete with matching box.
    Give them away to Cancer research charity.
  • brian_wbrian_w Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Re lamposts..
    _ben wrote: »
    I'm surprised people still do that, what with all these wind turbines and mobile phone masts around now. A new one that went up near me recently had a CE marking on it :D
    A few years ago as part of a personal project, I started taking photos of street furniture, including lamposts, or rather the different styles of lanterns thereon. It's surprising just how many different designs there are. Also there's an interesting variety of street furniture on our streets, ranging from seating to cycle racks and various artwork, that a lot of people tend to just walk past without noticing.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised people still do that, what with all these wind turbines and mobile phone masts around now. A new one that went up near me recently had a CE marking on it :D

It can actually be quite fascinating :D
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brian_w wrote: »
    Re lamposts..

A few years ago as part of a personal project, I started taking photos of street furniture, including lamposts, or rather the different styles of lanterns thereon. It's surprising just how many different designs there are. Also there's an interesting variety of street furniture on our streets, ranging from seating to cycle racks and various artwork, that a lot of people tend to just walk past without noticing.

I photograph old graffiti - usually 18thC or 19thC...then try and use parish records and censuses to identify the person who did it (started as a sort of genealogist's party trick but it's very addictive).

I will also do things like trace 13 randomers buried in a public grave of workhouse inmates from the 19thC - and find out who they were, what they did and try and piece together their stories.

OP, I have done archery - Mr H is an adept. It's great fun. Go for it!
  • chebbychebby Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    goonst wrote: »
    I've done a bit of parkour.

It's amazingly good exercise and it's kind of fun but mostly humiliating, as I'm tubby and female and I know fear. I try, which is the best you can do, but I was always thudding on to my face while all these athletic guys leapt and flipped around the room like they were weightless. And they kept incorporating push-ups into the warm-ups and conditioning. There was a big event day once where I got forced to attempt push-ups about twelve times. One-handed push-ups, even! I can't do one normal one. At least 'cause it was a big fun-day there were other inept women, so we could all fall in a giggly heap rather than just blushing at the half-sympathetic, half-bewildered male stares as the guys hit push-up 99, as is the norm at training.

I didn't go back after last term cause I had about three weeks in a row of otherwise occupied Sundays, and then I couldn't be arsed. :o

Goodness!
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    It can actually be quite fascinating :D

In my home town, the council are replacing streetlights one at a time, apparently at random. The new ones are a random mix of white high pressure sodium or compact fluorescent. White lighting is so much more pleasant that I always notice a new one going up (I take the dogs for a walk before bedtime and try to vary the route for them). I now have a mental map of which ones they have done and which ones are yet to be replaced. :o
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ERM... collecting dust,.... watching grass grow, wasting space, thieving air, watching paint dry, staying asleep, growing a beard, Just SOME of my many hobbies,
    in fact I am so busy with all my hobbies I never find the time to do anything else,
    :cool:
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ERM... collecting dust,.... watching grass grow, wasting space, thieving air, watching paint dry, staying asleep, growing a beard, Just SOME of my many hobbies,
    in fact I am so busy with all my hobbies I never find the time to do anything else,

I do that! just waiting for the day when I can smoke that shit! :cool::D
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »
    I do that! just waiting for the day when I can smoke that shit! :cool::D

NOT that sort of 'grass' unfortunately, it's been so long since I saw any of THAT I am thinking of changing my username to "OLD GUY" .... :(

NOW, after reading this thread, I can't get the Pink Floyd song 'Arnold Layne' out of my head, (if ya know it, you will know what I mean)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    In my home town, the council are replacing streetlights one at a time, apparently at random. The new ones are a random mix of white high pressure sodium or compact fluorescent. White lighting is so much more pleasant that I always notice a new one going up (I take the dogs for a walk before bedtime and try to vary the route for them). I now have a mental map of which ones they have done and which ones are yet to be replaced. :o

I love white lights, unfortunately all the ones in my street are yellow :( White lights look more natural I think.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I collect rocks. :confused:
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    dylan99 wrote: »
    Dude, If that is your hobby, then I think that's kind of strange.:D

I get funny looks because I enjoy kite flying.
    kiting is strange?:eek:
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I post on DS forums.
    Ooooo.... I do that :o
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    Bodybuilding

I'll freely admit, it's a very strange hobby.

I used to be a Morris Dancer too, but not any more.

I used to do weightlifting but I attracted strange people :o

Sticking to collecting coins, easy to do and easy to store :o