Immigrants no longer allowed to work in takeaways!

Comments

• welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredc wrote: »
    Spend your working day with your head lower than your waist, not many would want that job, it's damned hard work for very little pay.

But if anyone does want to train for the job you would be guaranteed around eight weeks work a year.

The sheep shearers travel round the world, they sheer in New Zealand and Australia when it's winter here, no other way to make a career out of sheep shearing.

£200-£300 a day (2009 figures) isn't to be sneezed at
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/5443051/Sheep-shearing-shear-hard-work-down-on-the-farm.html
  • Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not convinced this will have any effect whatsoever. There are plenty of loopholes that allow people from the Indian subcontinent to work within the EU.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Would you go out for an authentic Indian (or Chinese or Thai etc) meal if everyone working there looked like their only previous experience was flipping burgers in McDonalds?

When I go to a French restaurant I don't expect all the staff to be French - I expect to get decent service it doesn't bother me what nationality they are
  • PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    raidon04 wrote: »
    Do you have any compelling research to back up your stance?

Do you have any compelling evidence to back up your assertion that the country would collapse without immigrants?

No, of course you do not; if such evidence existed NuLab would have been cramming it down our throats 24/7 to help with the MultiCult indoctrination.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I couldn't give a toss if the cook that made my king prawn chow mein comes from Peckham or Peking.
    Forum Member
    Cyberninja wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't give a toss if the cook that made my king prawn chow mein comes from Peckham or Peking.

That is not the issue though is it.

The issue is: do you care that if that cook comes from Peking your taxes will have to go up to pay welfare for the unemployed guy in Peckham?
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I approve of the idea but the pay threshold is waaay too high.
    Not many chefs will earn over £28,260. Even before expenses. Its really limiting immigration to just the really high end Chinese version of Gordon Ramsey and the like. Banning any randomer from working in a crappy take away- fair enough. But with this pay threshold they're keeping out even mid range skilled chefs.

I am not convinced this will have any effect whatsoever. There are plenty of loopholes that allow people from the Indian subcontinent to work within the EU.
    Like what?
    And I don't think Indians will be hit that hard, most take aways seem to be ran by various middle easterners and Turks.
  • AlezAlez Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often wondered this, it's odd how you never see a white person working in say an Indian restaurant. You don't need to be a master chef to serve up food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josquius wrote: »
    I approve of the idea but the pay threshold is waaay too high.
    Not many chefs will earn over £28,260. Even before expenses. Its really limiting immigration to just the really high end Chinese version of Gordon Ramsey and the like. Banning any randomer from working in a crappy take away- fair enough. But with this pay threshold they're keeping out even mid range skilled chefs.
    But there will be more jobs for British (and EU) chefs. Surely that is the priority, not work for Chinese and Indians?
    Forum Member
    Alez wrote: »
    I've often wondered this, it's odd how you never see a white person working in say an Indian restaurant. You don't need to be a master chef to serve up food.

No need to wonder; its called racism against whites, its just not allowed to be discussed apparently.
  • MetalManMetalMan Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will all be reversed by the time Labour come back in. Pointless really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there will be more jobs for British (and EU) chefs. Surely that is the priority, not work for Chinese and Indians?

Chefs (real ones, at mid range and above places) are artists, not manual labourers working on a production line.
    For a decent restaurant a lot of thought goes into who to hire as a chef. They don't just pick up any random person who has the right qualifications, they pick specific people who are skilled in cooking the sort of food they want.
    Its really not as easy as saying you can just train a random Brit to cook Keralan sea food (or whatever) you have to get the right person and often this means someone from another country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One step at a time though. Of course if some other country in the EU decides to let people become citizens, on much weaker conditions, they will head straight for Britain.

The rules seem to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_for_workers
    Wiki wrote:
    1. Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured within the Community.
    2. Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States as regards employment, remuneration and other conditions of work and employment.
    3. It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health:

(a) to accept offers of employment actually made;
    (b) to move freely within the territory of Member States for this purpose;
    (c) to stay in a Member State for the purpose of employment in accordance with the provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law, regulation or administrative action;
    (d) to remain in the territory of a Member State after having been employed in that State, subject to conditions which shall be embodied in implementing regulations to be drawn up by the Commission.

4. The provisions of this article shall not apply to employment in the public service.[1]

It doesn't say anything about the British government, forcing employers to advertise or offer the job to only people in this country first, for say a month.
  • scottygscottyg Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    When I think about it, id day most of the people I see working in McDonalds KFC's etc in Central London are Asian and African, with a few Eaastern Europeans, very rarely a British person.
    Some have very bad English in fact so they wont be missed in that sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we will have more restaurants serving traditional British food and less foreign ones?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MetalMan wrote: »
    This will all be reversed by the time Labour come back in. Pointless really.

and then reversed again when the Tories get back in. Look on the bright side, at least their will be a lot less people coming to this country over the next five years, before Labour get back in and flood the country with immigrants. Fortunately they will soon bankrupt the economy again and get kicked out, allowing the Tories to get immigration down again.

Saying that even Labour were back peddling furiously in the last years of their regime. Shame their points system let in even more people. At least their motives were incompetence, that time, rather than enforced multicultural society, for implementing mass immigration.

They did bring out a rule that said you had to not only be 21 to marry a foreigner and bring them here, but have actually met them too. There were even considering demanding, that they can speak English as well, the fascists. :D

Great article on immigration by marriage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366060/Vicar-arrested-church-searched-police-probe-hundreds-sham-marriages.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psst. During the 00s Britain had an employment shortfall. Too many jobs, not enough people willing to fill them.
    Letting more people in makes sense at times like that.
    Forum Member
    psst. During the 00s Britain had an employment shortfall. Too many jobs, not enough people willing to fill them.
    Letting more people in makes sense at times like that.

So there was zero unemployment during that period?

No.

Companies were just too tight to pay for training, so imported cheaper, subsidised labour from elsewhere.

There has never once been a real employment shortfall in this country during my 40 years here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    That is not the issue though is it.

The issue is: do you care that if that cook comes from Peking your taxes will have to go up to pay welfare for the unemployed guy in Peckham?

Is the guy in Peckham gnawing at the bit to work for minimum wage in a crappy little takeaway kitchen?

Somehow I doubt it.

Immigrants do the jobs that nobody else wants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyberninja wrote: »
    Is the guy in Peckham gnawing at the bit to work for minimum wage in a crappy little takeaway kitchen?

Somehow I doubt it.

Immigrants do the jobs that nobody else wants.
    Immigrants do the jobs that nobody else wants to do for minimum wage.

Cheffing used to be a decent enough job, you could easily get a mortgage on a chefs wage. Now it is minimum wage or little more. So hardly a surprise that British people aren't that keen on doing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    So there was zero unemployment during that period?

No.

Companies were just too tight to pay for training, so imported cheaper, subsidised labour from elsewhere.

There has never once been a real employment shortfall in this country during my 40 years here.

Not really. Its just the jobs were in the wrong place. Mainly in London whilst in other areas you still had too many people for what jobs were around. Since they were unable/unwilling to move cheap foreigners were the way.
    Training wasn't the issue at all, most of the jobs involved were of the low grade sort that didn't really need training.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scottyg wrote: »
    When I think about it, id day most of the people I see working in McDonalds KFC's etc in Central London are Asian and African, with a few Eaastern Europeans, very rarely a British person.
    Some have very bad English in fact so they wont be missed in that sense.

They are probably foreign students illegally working, or students that disappeared when their visas ran out. According to research, the next thing they will do is try and find an EU citizen to marry, so they can stay.

Personally I would not allow marriage or study, as a route to citizenship. I would make sure students left after their studies and fine the educational establishments £10,000 per student if they don't.

Foreigners that marry British citizens should.

1. Only be given settlement, never citizenship.
    2. Be denied the right to vote.
    3. Be 100% supported by their spouse.
    4. Be denied all benefits apart from medical care.
    5. Be deported if they divorce
    6. Allowed some benefits after paying a certain amount.
    much tax in to the system.

The government are making good progress on work based immigration. They are going to be reducing student numbers soon and make citizenship much harder, with no automatic route from study or work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. Its just the jobs were in the wrong place. Mainly in London whilst in other areas you still had too many people for what jobs were around. Since they were unable/unwilling to move cheap foreigners were the way.
    Training wasn't the issue at all, most of the jobs involved were of the low grade sort that didn't really need training.
    People were unable/unwilling to move because the jobs didn't pay enough to make it worthwhile. Pay a decent wage and you will find people more than willing to move for the jobs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People were unable/unwilling to move because the jobs didn't pay enough to make it worthwhile. Pay a decent wage and you will find people more than willing to move for the jobs.

That's a part of it certainly, though there is a lot more to it than that.